Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black or White pudding?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I like my pudding how I like my coffee 'black and from a butcher's'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Grandeeod wrote: »
    ...Far better than Denny or Galtee.

Denny and Galtee products are utter crap. They gave up manufacturing decent pork products decades ago and target Irish Mammy types who know nothing about pudding because they don't eat it, Americans and other Scutterin' Gobsheens.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,418 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Really good homemade black pudding is in a different league to the average black/white supermarket puddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Mammy loves Joes pudding".....

D'Telly featuring Joe Dolan

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There is an actual brotherhood of Black Pudding in France. Seán Kelly of Newport was made a member in 2010. Bate that, Mr Denny!

Sean_Kelly_Butchers.jpg

http://www.boudin-mortagne.com/Page_ang.html

• Advertisement

There is an actual brotherhood of Black Pudding in France. Seán Kelly of Newport was made a member in 2010. Bate that, Mr Denny!

http://www.boudin-mortagne.com/Page_ang.html

Full-backpatch black puddin'. Now that's more like it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

McCarthys of Kanturk for the win . The stuff they make themselves - not the knock off Aldi Recipe that is sold there.

Extra points if you go to an artisan grocer and they will sell you the McCarthys thats made proper with the intestine used as the skin the its as wide as your forearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Is there nothing to be said for Aldi / Lidl cheap pudding?

You're all pudding snobs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I've had this one and in my view it is the BEST
    Comes in large irregular chunks that are clearly sliced off a huge block.
    It is delicious.

http://www.annascaulblackpudding.com/

If you're ever visiting Kerry or the Dingle peninsula, this is just a small shop at the edge of the little village of Annascaul. Worth stopping for!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Is there nothing to be said for Aldi / Lidl cheap pudding?

You're all pudding snobs :pac:

Aldi/Lidl pudding is very good and far superior to Denny/ Galtee at a third of the price. The Aldi black pudding isn't dry. Has a nice moist taste to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

They are the yin and yan to any good fry up.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Aldi/Lidl pudding is very good and far superior to Denny/ Galtee at a third of the price. The Aldi black pudding isn't dry. Has a nice moist taste to it.

I concur, the Aldi stuff is fine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Black pudding. White is disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

White pudding doesn't contain blood. black pudding to me has much more taste and adds much more to a fry up. Interestingly I was in a deli today getting a sausage roll and asked for two separate pieces of black pudding. yum. I also love them in a salad with rocket and poached eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Day Lewin wrote: »
    It is delicious.

If you're ever visiting Kerry or the Dingle peninsula, this is just a small shop at the edge of the little village of Annascaul. Worth stopping for!

Sound like Meeres from Clare who produce their pudding in a similar block style:
    https://blackpudding.club/meeres-pork-products-featured-producer/

They have unreal black pudding, far better than Clonakilty which I used to consider the best.

White pudding just isn't the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Sneem black pudding is wonderful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

I only eat white pudding,, was never really mad about black pudding.

But over the years white pudding is not what it used to be, I don't know what happened, maybe it was just that butchers stopped making their own. So that now that old school soft and very spreadable white is nowhere to be found.

And my weekend fry up is all the poorer because of it...

(when did feckin barley find its way into my white pudding)

satguy wrote: »

But over the years white pudding is not what it used to be, I don't know what happened, maybe it was just that butchers stopped making their own. So that now that old school soft and very spreadable white is nowhere to be found.

If you can get it then try De Roiste's white. It's softer and slightly fleshier than many other whites. Most main supermarkets stock it and it's well worth the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

satguy wrote: »

thats your kellys of newport white, lovely and soft, too many producers tried to follow conakilty with their white pudding which is nowhere as good as their black.
    fat and grains in black add a nice texture but in my opinion have no place in a white pudding, it should have a much smoother texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Clonakilty back pudding isn’t even the best black pudding made in Clonakilty. Extremely overrated brand relying on its reputation. SuperValu’s signature taste pudding is better than it.

• Advertisement

If you can get it then try De Roiste's white. It's softer and slightly fleshier than many other whites. Most main supermarkets stock it and it's well worth the price.

Agreed. And Dunnes "Simply Better" brand white pudding is not bad, and quite soft as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

Have you ever tried red pudding?

Haven’t had it in years and I wasn’t a huge fan but it used to be a part of our Sunday fry.

Might just be a Dundalk thing although apparently big in Scotland too

“red pudding is traditionally made from variety of ingredients including bacon, beef, pork, pork rind and suet and can be found mostly in East Scotland”

https://spillthebeans.ie/tag/mccormicks-red-pudding/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Black pudding with fresh blood. McCarthys of Kanturk being the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

I love white pudding, the long thin sausage one from Denny or Lidl. Fry it up and mash into a slice of bread after. It's lovely. Not too keen on black pudding. Every now and again I'll have a cut of it. 5:1 ratio in favour of white.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NCS

jimgoose wrote: »
    I like both, but my preference would be black. This weather Oi arr mostly eating Shaw's, a magnificent pudding by any measure. Clonakilty have upped their pudding game in recent years after some time, in the view of this Marine, in the doldrums. De Róiste would also be highly regarded. Rudd's of Birr is an interesting little pudding with an unusual, smooth consistency.

Rudd's makes for a great sausage roll in shortcrust pastry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Ashe's of Annascaul is the best black pudding available

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Day Lewin wrote: »
    It is delicious.

Another vote for Annascaul black pudding! You can get it in Caviston's in Glasthule, Dublin also.

Spread on toast with a drizzle of honey! Amazing...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Clonakilty back pudding isn’t even the best black pudding made in Clonakilty. Extremely overrated brand relying on its reputation. SuperValu’s signature taste pudding is better than it.

I can vouch for SuperValu’s pudding too.... delicious, soft beautiful taste and texture...

Going back 34/35 years to SuperValu ‘s predecessor H Williams even, I remember as a kid loving their pudding and sausages, the best, the very best you could get in Dublin in the mid ‘80’s.

Strumms wrote: »
    I can vouch for SuperValu’s pudding too.... delicious, soft beautiful taste and texture... .

I got these a few weeks ago and I have to report back that both are bloody good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Deep Fried Black Pudding is amazing

Advertisement