Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black or White pudding?

Options
  • 21-07-2020 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

I absolutely love pudding. It's a fine accompaniment to any meal, or a meal in and of itself (mmm them in a sandwich). But the wife asked me which did I prefer last night (we had egg, chip, black and white pudding and some beans for dinner). I hesitated and said I wasn't sure. Then they lands me with a statement that would hit the door - "They taste the same anyway". They absolutely do not and to her amazement (although she reckons I was cheating), I did a blind taste test and could correctly identify which type of pudding was being eaten.

I've been thinking on it all morning and I'm still not sure which I prefer. Which is your favourite?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I don't discriminate against either #allpuddingmatters

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

All for black pudding.

During the leaving cert I would have a full stick of back pudding in a sandwich every morning, couldn't really tell you why but it was the perfect food at the time.

White pudding is grand if I'm feeling exotic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Black pudding as white pudding is a bit too spicy for me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Blm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Hoop66

puddingroulade.png

What a time to be alive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

Tig98 wrote: »
    During the leaving cert I would have a full stick of back pudding in a sandwich every morning, couldn't really tell you why but it was the perfect food at the time.

600 point food right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No puddings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭recyclops

pudding is top quality, i remember taking the wife to madrid for a city break, realising that black pudding in tapas bars was a regular thing, spent the next 4 days eating pudding relentelessly

best holiday of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

white. black can be a bit dry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

"They taste the same anyway".
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Pudding on toast. Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I love black pudding the most. But there are some crap brands around. The one in Aldi for 55 odd cent is nice on a budget. Far better than Denny or Galtee.

I'd prefer white pudding to be honest........ I'm rarely without some of it in the fridge, don't buy black pudding that often truth be told. Although it's grand stuff also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Go black and you never go back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Also, is pudding a more popular thing in, say, Limerick? I like pudding on a fry, or in a sandwich or breakfast roll, but in the space of a week in Limerick last year I got black pudding on a salad and also in the middle of a burger (as in, in the middle of the patty).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

Black pudding is nicer, white pudding has deteriorated over the years, so I find it hard to get a nice white pudding - but when you do it's a real treat. However black wins, and it's a superfood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Eh White! Fried and spread on a fried slice of batch :)
    Bit of ketchup for luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 seanmaol

Black all the way... But has to be Clonakilty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Newbie20

seanmaol wrote: »

Was literally just about to type this! Correct on both counts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

Clonakilty is the best. It's great if you have some on the pan, then crack an egg in there to soak up the particles that fell away from the main.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Prefer white as it’s spicier. Was at a wedding in Cork a few years ago, beside Clon. Entrees while the bride and groom were getting photos were little clonakilty pudding cakes on crackers. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭blackbox

This thread needs a poll.

Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

White is good, but black is better. No way they taste the same.

I was at a wedding in Clonakilty last year. Half way through the night, they rolled out a pizza stand for a snack. One of the pizzas had black pudding topping. Amazing stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 seanmaol

Clonakilty is the best. It's great if you have some on the pan, then crack an egg in there to soak up the particles that fell away from the main.
    Fried egg with bits of Clonakilty black pudding in it , that's lunch sorted for me

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I like both, but my preference would be black. This weather Oi arr mostly eating Shaw's, a magnificent pudding by any measure. Clonakilty have upped their pudding game in recent years after some time, in the view of this Marine, in the doldrums. De Róiste would also be highly regarded. Rudd's of Birr is an interesting little pudding with an unusual, smooth consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Loving them both.
    Black for that mineral hit of meaty richness.
    White for spicy spreadability.
    Delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I absolutely love pudding. It's a fine accompaniment to any meal, or a meal in and of itself (mmm them in a sandwich). But the wife asked me which did I prefer last night (we had egg, chip, black and white pudding and some beans for dinner). I hesitated and said I wasn't sure. Then they lands me with a statement that would hit the door - "They taste the same anyway". They absolutely do not and to her amazement (although she reckons I was cheating), I did a blind taste test and could correctly identify which type of pudding was being eaten.

I've been thinking on it all morning and I'm still not sure which I prefer. Which is your favourite?

Have you tries using both in Omelettes? I fry 4 or 5 slices of each pudding,
    spread them evenly in the pan and then pour the egg in. Yummy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

I’m a black pudding addict and wouldn’t live too far from Clon. Their pudding has deteriorated a lot over the years the point where I’ll buy almost anything else, it’s pretty poor these days.

Best in my opinion would be a local butcher’s own fresh blood pudding (huge difference between fresh blood pudding and the dried blood crap that’s in most puddings). My local butcher does a savage one - spent years toying around with recipes. McCarthy’s Kanturk also do a bloody good one that can be found in some shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

that spreadable white puddig ya can get and use it like ya would butter on your breakfast roll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Black is number 1 for me and as been already mentioned clonakilty is the king of Black Puddings. their White however is not as good. i believe the Best white pudding in Ireland to be manufactured by Kellys of Newport.

i always liked a little nibble of the black uncooked but of late i have gone mad for it and could eat 3 or 4 good slices of it raw whist cooking the rest of the meal.

note*i know its not really raw it has been boiled in the production stage therefore safe to eat.

Advertisement