Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What women like in men...

Options
  • 09-04-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, stumbled on this:

Warning pics of scantily clad men http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/most-popular/the-10-male-features-women-like-best/10/

Upon suggestion from Pawwed Rig, I'll put the list in text for those too afraid of looking at half naked men in the office :D

10) Chest/Shoulders muscles;
    9) Penis;
    8) Neck;
    7) Hair;
    6) Height;
    5) Long Legs;
    4) Eyes;
    3) Flat stomach;
    2) Thinness;
    1) Buttocks;

Not sure about the website, first time I heard of it, but thought it would make some interesting discussion - especially about places #1,#2 and #3, because:

- I have been saying since the dawn of time that women are much stricter than men about weight and tend to go for the super-skinny guys;

- A "10 female features men like" featuring the same in the top 3 would cause outcries of sexism, superficiality and accusation of causing eating disorders;

Curious to see what you think (ladies are more than welcome to chip in of course).

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Makes sense I suppose, my girlfriend keeps on making positive comments about my buttocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Belly tops & hot pants for the summer to show off the flat stomach and buttocks so.... :pac:

On a serious note I'm surprised Chest/Shoulders is #10 - I'm of the opinion that a gentleman can look to have more of a physical presence about him on first glance if he has relatively large shoulders & chest - especially if he is standing with good posture. Would have thought this would be more of a draw for women.

That said, I'm sure this article doesn't speak for all women - I don't want to go on the link at work but is there any indication what the sample size is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

my lady friend loves my beard :cool:

as it has magical powers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

D'Agger wrote: »
    Belly tops & hot pants for the summer to show off the flat stomach and buttocks so.... :pac:

On a serious note I'm surprised Chest/Shoulders is #10 - I'm of the opinion that a gentleman can look to have more of a physical presence about him on first glance if he has relatively large shoulders & chest - especially if he is standing with good posture. Would have thought this would be more of a draw for women.

I tend to agree with you, but fact is that I have heard many women say they prefer smaller and slimmer guys; Actually, I would say the vast majority of the women I know would not be into "big & muscular" at all; And while you and I would imagine the concept as referring to steroids-injected gym freaks, to most ladies it just means anybody slightly more built than average.

Not the biggest sample if you wish, but there's still a significance to it.

Moreover, if you look at the male stars that are considered "sexiest", most of them have just muscle tone and the definition that comes from starving, rather than proper mass.

D'Agger wrote: »
    That said, I'm sure this article doesn't speak for all women - I don't want to go on the link at work but is there any indication what the sample size is?

Not sure really, to be honest I don't think the information is there and if there is, I missed it.

However, the "it doesn't speak for all" can be said about anything, really, especially when taking into account your own personal views - the author of the article puts it quite nicely in the beginning:
    What is it that ladies first notice in a man? Or should we say, on a man? Which feature ‘pops out’? Perhaps you have a thing for hands and look first at how strong they are, or whether or not he keeps his nails nicely. Maybe collar bones are your thing, or the Adam’s apple. Everyone has a different priority, each of us with unique physical attributes and each with our own individual preferences.

When polled, the features women rate as being most important on a man are perhaps quite different to what men think we think about. He might put great importance on being – or at least appearing – strong. Is that what women focus on when they meet a guy for the first time? Is his square jawline important, or the amount of body hair he has (or doesn’t)? Does it matter if he has a uni-brow, if the rest of him looks great?

Let’s hope that guys know it’s not just what’s on the outside that matters, of course. But studies show that looks do matter – we instinctively make judgements quickly based on appearances – and similarly we feel good when we get positive reinforcement about our own looks. There’s almost nothing sexier than knowing your new date (or old date, for that matter) appreciates your attributes. Guys and gals are just as vain as one another and nothing makes a man feel more like a man than knowing there’s a manly feature of his that drives you wild.

So where do women’s eyes go first? According to the statistics based on the most commonly-answered responses to that question, the guys out there might be surprised at what it is we’re really interested in…

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There would be a large cultural influence too I'd imagine. Just like with female beauty. EG I have found Irish men tend to prefer women "with a bit of meat on the bones", whereas Spanish men would tend to prefer thinner women. I'd say similar is in play the other direction. I've heard enough Irish women say they prefer a "cuddly" man and have never heard that elsewhere.

A flat stomach and solid arse makes good reproductive sense. It's indicating health, vigour and youth. It's not called middle aged spread for nothing.

On top of that though, women would also take into account social and emotional status. I'd even say that would trump the physical in many situations. To take it to extremes, the short bald fat older guy who is an emotionally stable billionaire is likely gonna get more action than the tall hirsute younger guy who is a socially anxious student. Men are generally more triggered by looks, status and emotional stability come way down the line. How many men go out with emotionally "variable" women, but do so because they're good looking? A very socially shy woman can be seen as demure, even attractive, but a very socially shy guy's options are far more limited.

I would say men can have the overall advantage in the dating/mating game. Beyond the teen years anyway, where looks are much more in play(though social standing and "coolness" still holds a lot of sway). Men can if they choose earn attractiveness points over time. Whereas women have less leeway and that window is narrower time wise.

Though I'd reckon as the culture changes and equality moves along, there is less of a difference. EG I know far more older women with younger men today, than I knew when I was 20. Complete sea change there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭OldRio

Large Wallet missing from that list.

Wibbs wrote: »
    There would be a large cultural influence too I'd imagine. Just like with female beauty. EG I have found Irish men tend to prefer women "with a bit of meat on the bones", whereas Spanish men would tend to prefer thinner women.

True to some extent; In clubs/pubs, I've seen multiple men chasing after women that would be ignored in Spain or Italy - I mean no disrespect and I know it's a cruel concept, but it's the way it works unfortunately.

On the other hand, it has to be said that Irish women "with some meat on their bones" tend to be much more forward than their equivalents from other places and, as you will know, confidence can indeed trump looks.

That said, I will not believe for a split second that many Irish men would go "I wouldn't touch that" if presented with, say, somebody who looks like Adriana Lima.
    I'd say similar is in play the other direction. I've heard enough Irish women say they prefer a "cuddly" man and have never heard that elsewhere.

But they still drool over Taylor Lautner's abs, go "oooh" if a Bradley Cooper gets topless on screen and melt for Orlando Bloom. None of them is any "cuddly".

Also, what does "cuddly" mean? If you ask men, most will essentially think "overweight with a beer gut"; What I hear from women, however, is more or less the idea of a slightly less muscular rugby player...
    A flat stomach and solid arse makes good reproductive sense. It's indicating health, vigour and youth. It's not called middle aged spread for nothing.

Absolutely true, and that goes for women as well.
    On top of that though, women would also take into account social and emotional status. I'd even say that would trump the physical in many situations. To take it to extremes, the short bald fat older guy who is an emotionally stable billionaire is likely gonna get more action than the tall hirsute younger guy who is a socially anxious student...[cut]

Of course but hold on right there - billionaire? Really? Take the money out of him and not a single woman will glance a second time. Besides, we are talking physical characteristics, so I am pretty sure this part of the conversation doesn't quite fit in.

I would say men can have the overall advantage in the dating/mating game. Beyond the teen years anyway, where looks are much more in play(though social standing and "coolness" still holds a lot of sway). Men can if they choose earn attractiveness points over time. Whereas women have less leeway and that window is narrower time wise.

Eh...no, just no. In the end, it's the woman's decision that counts, no matter how hard the guy tries.

Also, a 50 years old with some money in the bank could certainly find a 20 years old who'd date him, but who is truly gaining from it? The guy's with his weekly 5 minutes of joy or the girl enjoying daily shopping sprees with his credit card?
    Though I'd reckon as the culture changes and equality moves along, there is less of a difference. EG I know far more older women with younger men today, than I knew when I was 20. Complete sea change there.

Absolutely, no doubt about it; There are quite a few women in their 40s now that look just as good as ladies half their age, and will give them a run for their money in the personality department.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    True to some extent; In clubs/pubs, I've seen multiple men chasing after women that would be ignored in Spain or Italy - I mean no disrespect and I know it's a cruel concept, but it's the way it works unfortunately.
    I've seen similar, but I don't see it as unfortunate, it's just how it is from culture to culture.
    That said, I will not believe for a split second that many Irish men would go "I wouldn't touch that" if presented with, say, somebody who looks like Adriana Lima.
    I dunno. I can think of two guys I know who might find her face pretty, but would think her way too skinny for them. They would actively seek out fatter women and ignore thinner.
    Also, what does "cuddly" mean? If you ask men, most will essentially think "overweight with a beer gut"; What I hear from women, however, is more or less the idea of a slightly less muscular rugby player...
    True dat
    Absolutely true, and that goes for women as well.
    Somewhat, but women can be sending out reproductive fitness signals at a heavier weight. A plump hourglass for example is likely more reproductively fit than a thin straight up and down shape. The hourglass hip waist ratio is universally seen as attractive, even taking weight out of the equation(down to the hormonal level too. That ratio is reflected in better profiles for reproduction). Many cultures have fattened women up before marriage. Women's body shape "ideal" is far more plastic in culture compared to mens. The classical ideal for men would find favour today, but the classical ideal for women would be considered hefty. Even within the space of a century we see this. A Miss World winner of the 1950's wouldn't even get selected for the regional heats today.
    Of course but hold on right there - billionaire? Really? Take the money out of him and not a single woman will glance a second time. Besides, we are talking physical characteristics, so I am pretty sure this part of the conversation doesn't quite fit in.
    My point was that men's physicality is only part of the equation and it generally plays a much lesser part than in women.
    Eh...no, just no. In the end, it's the woman's decision that counts, no matter how hard the guy tries.
    You misunderstand me. I'm saying that the studious guy in school that doesn't get a look in from his female peers can "earn" extra attractiveness points in life. If he became a consultant doctor for example. He could cast his net wider compared to the popular jock type guy in school that never rises beyond a cubicle job. More women will "decide" the doctor is the better bet.

I would also argue that it's all up to the woman. Yes it's a sellers market, however men can vastly improve their chances in such a market. The more choice a man appears to have means the more choices he will have. It also depends on life stage. IE an established man in his 30's has far more options than the same man at 18, whereas the reverse trend tends to be more the case if you swap the genders.
    Also, a 50 years old with some money in the bank could certainly find a 20 years old who'd date him, but who is truly gaining from it? The guy's with his weekly 5 minutes of joy or the girl enjoying daily shopping sprees with his credit card?
    Every romantic relationship is based on what the individuals gain from it. Only the fog of romance masks it. It's only because the more extreme the assets brought to the table the more obvious it makes it such as in your above example.
    Absolutely, no doubt about it; There are quite a few women in their 40s now that look just as good as ladies half their age, and will give them a run for their money in the personality department.
    Sure, but whatever about personality, a woman in her 40's that looks as good as a woman in her 20's, would as a general rule have looked better in her own 20's. If we're talking about starting a family her 25 year old self is way ahead. Plus contrary to the old sop of "well we all age so beauty is fleeting", good looking women(and men) in their 40's were nearly always outliers in the beauty dept when young. Precious few ugly ducklings change into swans in their 30's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

- I have been saying since the dawn of time that women are much stricter than men about weight and tend to go for the super-skinny guys;

Any women I know do not like "super-skinny" guys, in fact skinny is often cited as a major turn-off. I think by "thinness" they mean "lean" perhaps, or "not overwieght". (PS I did not read the link, only your list)

I've seen similar, but I don't see it as unfortunate, it's just how it is from culture to culture.

Definitely, I was just trying to be polite to anyone who might be sensitive on the subject;
    I dunno. I can think of two guys I know who might find her face pretty, but would think her way too skinny for them. They would actively seek out fatter women and ignore thinner.

Certainly; I can think of a couple, maybe three people myself, and we're talking people from Italy. But that number is out of how many? There will be a variance in every place, I'd say.
    True dat

Lol, for the sake of objectivity, it has to be said it goes the other way around too: when a man says "woman with meat on her bones" usually he means athletic body types (e.g. Lindsay Vonn) or hourglass figures (as insignificant as she is, I can think of no other example than Kim Kardashian); Many women will think size 20 :D
    Somewhat, but women can be sending out reproductive fitness signals at a heavier weight. A plump hourglass for example is likely more reproductively fit than a thin straight up and down shape. The hourglass hip waist ratio is universally seen as attractive, even taking weight out of the equation(down to the hormonal level too. That ratio is reflected in better profiles for reproduction). Many cultures have fattened women up before marriage. Women's body shape "ideal" is far more plastic in culture compared to mens. The classical ideal for men would find favour today, but the classical ideal for women would be considered hefty. Even within the space of a century we see this. A Miss World winner of the 1950's wouldn't even get selected for the regional heats today.

True, and the cultural variance is a big factor indeed, although mostly coming from social circumstances; the preference for heavier women in the past centuries was driven by the fact it meant they were healthy as in "they actually had food". As society progressed in certain areas and food availability was no problem anymore, the whole conundrum reversed.

As for the variation over the last century yes, if you watch a movie from the '50s the average shape of the actresses bodies is quite a bit different than today's; However it always goes unnoticed that male actors changed dramatically as well: Until the late '80s, most of them where what would today be called "skinnyfat": thin but with lack of any muscle tone.
    The Stallone of "Rambo" that was a sensation at the time, would look just a bit more muscular than the average actor right now.

The waist-hip ratio research makes a great point, but wouldn't you say that specific one is actually down to hormones/genetics, more than weight? There are plenty of thin women with hourglass figures and plumper ones with heavy tops and men-like hips.
    My point was that men's physicality is only part of the equation and it generally plays a much lesser part than in women.

It has always been the case, however as we progress the feeling is that women are paying more and more attention to the "visual part" than they did hitherto. Branching off the previous paragraph, it's worth noting that there are buffed up actors starring in comedy movies now (with few notable exceptions). Nothing wrong with it, as long as the ladies admit they like their eye candy too :D
    You misunderstand me. I'm saying that the studious guy in school that doesn't get a look in from his female peers can "earn" extra attractiveness points in life. If he became a consultant doctor for example. He could cast his net wider compared to the popular jock type guy in school that never rises beyond a cubicle job. More women will "decide" the doctor is the better bet.

I would also argue that it's all up to the woman. Yes it's a sellers market, however men can vastly improve their chances in such a market. The more choice a man appears to have means the more choices he will have. It also depends on life stage. IE an established man in his 30's has far more options than the same man at 18, whereas the reverse trend tends to be more the case if you swap the genders.

Oh yes, in that case it is. But as we said, this is changing as well, although maybe not as quickly as one would imagine.
    Every romantic relationship is based on what the individuals gain from it. Only the fog of romance masks it. It's only because the more extreme the assets brought to the table the more obvious it makes it such as in your above example.

Absolutely!
    Sure, but whatever about personality, a woman in her 40's that looks as good as a woman in her 20's, would as a general rule have looked better in her own 20's. If we're talking about starting a family her 25 year old self is way ahead. Plus contrary to the old sop of "well we all age so beauty is fleeting", good looking women(and men) in their 40's were nearly always outliers in the beauty dept when young. Precious few ugly ducklings change into swans in their 30's.

Indeed, especially about the "starting a family" part, and surely it's most likely that somebody that looks good in their 40s did look good in their 20s too, but I wouldn't discount the opposite as such a remote possibility: no more than 20 years ago, gyms were often considered a place where strange sweaty men emitted grunting sounds and injected substances that were rumored to be usable as rocket fuel; Today, everybody and their dog attends at least a pilates class.

Maybe I am the odd duckling, but I do look better now at 34 than I did at 24, mostly because I had not discovered exercise yet at the time :D

newport2 wrote: »
    Any women I know do not like "super-skinny" guys, in fact skinny is often cited as a major turn-off. I think by "thinness" they mean "lean" perhaps, or "not overwieght". (PS I did not read the link, only your list)

I guess it depends on what you mean by "skinny man"; In my view, a lot of the 6 feet tall, 160 pounds zero-muscle-tone guys I see around are in fact super skinny, and women definitely go for them...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Checks list and smiles.
    In honesty if you did the research in groups you would get boisterous answers like these. If you done them anon you would probably get answers like "fun" "secure financially" "good parent" "loyal".
    If you want to know what kind of mens bodytype are attractive just look at the calender sales and the general Hollywood A list shape.
    Brock Lesnar would get alot of compliments from men but the average woman would feel scared around him or put off. If the huge wrestler look was as attractive as the bodybuilding industry would have you believe women would be wwe s biggest customer.
    I have never heard a fella say "jesus the missus has been all over me since I grew that extra bit of muscle etc.

If you are scarily good looking the above may apply but I think once you re not too rough on the eye and not overweight or underweight outside of the nightclub setting just being "sound" will cut it for you.
    I think women are smarter than men when looking for a partner. Looks are something that wears off after a few years. Personality and other qualities you bring are what theyd usually rather than a pair of cheekbones.

Of course this all goes out the window if they are not yet women and whoever is in smash hits magazine will do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Going by the pics on the list, one would say they also like men that look like babies, ie, waxed / smooth :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

jane82 wrote: »
    I think women are smarter than men when looking for a partner.

Mod note - Hi Jane. Welcome to TGC. Please note these kind of lazy generalisations are not permitted here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

That's me fecked then. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

As a very skinny chap I would be very surprised (and delirah and excireh) if 'thinness' is what they mean here as a positive. As someone said, 'not a fatso' is what I think is meant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Mod note - Hi Jane. Welcome to TGC. Please note these kind of lazy generalisations are not permitted here.

Sorry I am a man and I did mean in general they go for long term attributes where men go for short term attributes.
    Look at how Katie Price sells the calenders where no matter how beautiful a man makes himself he wont get a female fan if he was involved in anything sleazy.
    Look how Abbey Titmus sky rocketed to fame and John Leslies career nosedived when the swinging and sex tapes became public.
    Look how male porn stars dont become sex icons like female pornstars do.
    Women in general select long term men think short term.

Certainly; I can think of a couple, maybe three people myself, and we're talking people from Italy. But that number is out of how many? There will be a variance in every place, I'd say.
    Oh sure H. I'd also reckon what's "on offer" locally is going to have an effect as it's what you're used to. So on average British women are heavier than French women and the local men will likely respond to that. Interestingly it depends on age. EG Spanish women are noticeably thinner than Irish women at 20, but are the same or slightly heavier at 40 and heavier overall.
    Lol, for the sake of objectivity, it has to be said it goes the other way around too: when a man says "woman with meat on her bones" usually he means athletic body types (e.g. Lindsay Vonn) or hourglass figures (as insignificant as she is, I can think of no other example than Kim Kardashian); Many women will think size 20 :D
    True dat too. :) Though I would say that Irish men are on average and in my experience far more accepting of bigger women than many European cultures. I've been around Italian, Spanish, French and Ukrainian blokes who have been very vocal and direct about it. To the point of "WTF?" coming from me.
    As for the variation over the last century yes, if you watch a movie from the '50s the average shape of the actresses bodies is quite a bit different than today's; However it always goes unnoticed that male actors changed dramatically as well: Until the late '80s, most of them where what would today be called "skinnyfat": thin but with lack of any muscle tone.
    The Stallone of "Rambo" that was a sensation at the time, would look just a bit more muscular than the average actor right now.
    Oh sure, there have been changes there and yep the 80's muscle men certainly changed that. I'd say there's also more "feminine" looking men about in movies these days. Younger looking too. One mad/interesting[delete as applicable] theory has it that this may be down in part to the contraceptive pill. Women on the pill have a general bias for less masculine looking male faces and the theory goes that this may be reflected in the guys they go for and lust after on the big screen.
    The waist-hip ratio research makes a great point, but wouldn't you say that specific one is actually down to hormones/genetics, more than weight? There are plenty of thin women with hourglass figures and plumper ones with heavy tops and men-like hips.
    Certainly. Like I said it holds outside of weight. The venus de milo, Titians nudes, Marilyn Monroe and Kate Moss have the same ratio but very different weights. The healthier the woman is the more likely she'll have those ratios. Interestingly and going on records of clothing manufacturers and shops, the hourglass is becoming rarer in the western population and has been since the 60's. Dietary changes likely a big part of that.
    It has always been the case, however as we progress the feeling is that women are paying more and more attention to the "visual part" than they did hitherto.
    and/or because they have more freedom of choice these days the inherent triggers are coming to the fore
    Indeed, especially about the "starting a family" part, and surely it's most likely that somebody that looks good in their 40s did look good in their 20s too, but I wouldn't discount the opposite as such a remote possibility: no more than 20 years ago, gyms were often considered a place where strange sweaty men emitted grunting sounds and injected substances that were rumored to be usable as rocket fuel; Today, everybody and their dog attends at least a pilates class.

Maybe I am the odd duckling, but I do look better now at 34 than I did at 24, mostly because I had not discovered exercise yet at the time :D
    True the fitness boom has helped in this. Then again overall both genders are fatter than we were a generation ago. Again I think men can have the advantage in this. We don't get pregnant, our hormones don't have as much sway over time on body weight and we don't suffer a menopause. So a 50 year old bloke with effort in the gym can have a body that would be better than the majority of 25 year old men. Unless his testosterone levels drop of course. However that looks like lifestyle or environmental too as fit healthy men and men in tribal societies show around a 1% drop in test per year after 30-35. It seems the male menopause, the "andropause" is less an inbuilt thing than something with external forces at play.

EG check out these Native Australians. The lad in the middle with the great face and fantastic beard was in his 60's. The lad on the left's neckbeard is surely the finest in recorded history.
    Bathurst_Island_men.jpg

I guess it depends on what you mean by "skinny man"; In my view, a lot of the 6 feet tall, 160 pounds zero-muscle-tone guys I see around are in fact super skinny, and women definitely go for them...
    Oh oh H, if 6 feet tall(well 5'11) and 160 lbs is super skinny(knock 20lbs off for me), I'm gonna be on next years Trocaire box. :D

On jane82's over generalised point, about women being smarter in choice? I dunno about that as I've seen women mates make as many "WTF is she thinking" choices as my male mates. However it makes sense that they would have to be more careful. Since God was a boy, they're the ones who have run the risks of pregnancy and childbirth and abandonment after the child is born, so selecting a man to have sex with is of higher risk. Contraception, modern medicine, never mind societal changes have certainly taken much of the sting outa that, but I'd bet the farm that a level of care is much more in evidence than in men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

160lbs is almost 11½ stone -certainly not skinny by most standards - even on most guys who are quite tall. The only places where it might be considered ''skinny'' are in certain parts of America or Polynesia perhaps. I have a friend who is about 140lbs soaking wet and he actually gets away with being skinny because he has quite a large neck (genetics I presume) and his face looks normal - not gaunt.

Oh sure H. I'd also reckon what's "on offer" locally is going to have an effect as it's what you're used to. So on average British women are heavier than French women and the local men will likely respond to that. Interestingly it depends on age. EG Spanish women are noticeably thinner than Irish women at 20, but are the same or slightly heavier at 40 and heavier overall.

Actually, that is something I wanted to say but didn't get to (the post was too long already :D). What you see around you tend to influence you; However, to me it seems like while men are more "open" to exotic looks, women tend to be more rooted in the "homegrown" style, quite possibly unconsciously and due to all the supposed social advantages (support network, position etc.).

True dat too. :) Though I would say that Irish men are on average and in my experience far more accepting of bigger women than many European cultures. I've been around Italian, Spanish, French and Ukrainian blokes who have been very vocal and direct about it. To the point of "WTF?" coming from me.

It's a bit of a complex matter; It is safe to say that some of these guys are often being unreasonable (in other words: some of them aren't exactly chiseled from alabaster, but expect a glamour-model type woman to take interest in them); However there are a plethora of social aspects behind their attitude.

Many populations put much higher pressure on people's appeareance; In Italy for example, one of the very first comments that are made upon meeting somebody that you didn't see for some time will be about weight: "Hello Carlo, you lost some weight/you got so fat/when will you lie down the cookies/will you ever start eating a bit!". It can easily be a spectacularly infuriating attitude, but it's no worse than the complete lack of pressure that seems to exist in Ireland - but I am digressing.

Oh sure, there have been changes there and yep the 80's muscle men certainly changed that. I'd say there's also more "feminine" looking men about in movies these days. Younger looking too. One mad/interesting[delete as applicable] theory has it that this may be down in part to the contraceptive pill. Women on the pill have a general bias for less masculine looking male faces and the theory goes that this may be reflected in the guys they go for and lust after on the big screen.

Interesting...definitely interesting. Have no idea about the merits, as the preference for "feminine" features is a long standing one - even Elvis looked quite on the girly side, if compared with the burly men of his time!
    and/or because they have more freedom of choice these days the inherent triggers are coming to the fore

Only natural; Again, absolutely fine with me - as long as they admit to being attracted to eye candy, rather than keep the "looks are meaningless" charade biggrin.png
    True the fitness boom has helped in this. Then again overall both genders are fatter than we were a generation ago. Again I think men can have the advantage in this. We don't get pregnant, our hormones don't have as much sway over time on body weight and we don't suffer a menopause. So a 50 year old bloke with effort in the gym can have a body that would be better than the majority of 25 year old men. Unless his testosterone levels drop of course. However that looks like lifestyle or environmental too as fit healthy men and men in tribal societies show around a 1% drop in test per year after 30-35. It seems the male menopause, the "andropause" is less an inbuilt thing than something with external forces at play.

The general concept is faultless and while it is true that we have a few advantages here and there, there are other factors to be considered as well; Women and their hormonal woes are the same today as say 30 years ago, yet nowadays you see most new mommies shed the "baby fat" in a matter of months, while many women back then would simply never get anywhere near their original shape;

Also before the fitness boom kicked in women were usually much less physically active than men as they were less involved in casual sports (e.g. most boys and adult men would at least play an occasional football game with their friends) and in hard physical labour. This exacerbated issues such as osteoporosis and made it much easier for women to gain weight compared to men.

Today, with the end of most physical labour, the start pilates classes and too much football on TV, we're seeing the opposite: we are the ones whose waistline tends to balloon exponentially, while many ladies keep reasonably fit biggrin.png

EG check out these Native Australians. The lad in the middle with the great face and fantastic beard was in his 60's. The lad on the left's neckbeard is surely the finest in recorded history.

Eipc beards indeed...and at this point, we shall all change over to "Native Australian lifestyle", whatever it may be. Clearly, it works!

Oh oh H, if 6 feet tall(well 5'11) and 160 lbs is super skinny(knock 20lbs off for me), I'm gonna be on next years Trocaire box. :D

Lol my man, can I get you a burger? biggrin.png

I honestly pulled that value out of my arse; I was 210 lbs at my lightest on a 6'2" frame, so you can see my viewpoint is somewhat skewed! I am starting to think the guys I'm talking about might be like 90 lbs! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

As a very skinny chap I would be very surprised (and delirah and excireh) if 'thinness' is what they mean here as a positive. As someone said, 'not a fatso' is what I think is meant.

My current partner is very skinny and I love his skinniness, he always slags me for "caressing his hip bones" when we cuddle :) I wouldn't have put it high on my list (no real physical attributes would be tbh) before him but it certainly wasn't a turn off either

I have a thing about nice manly hands, a lot of girls I know do too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Don't forget, a lot of people are attractive to the opposite sex despite something, not because of it. Some skinny guys just have other good attributes that make up for being skinny. There are women who do like skinny men though - including overweight women. Some guys (like the friend I mentioned in the earlier post) look quite healthy being skinny, whereas some other men look like complete death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Pug160 wrote: »
    whereas some other men look like complete death.

That'd be me, in fairness I have the anorexic junkie look down to a tee complete with buzz cut, just gotta find me a Mrs Howaye :P

But true, everyone has their flaws etc. I was just surprised to see thinness on any kind of list of women's specific turn ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

this entire thread is a lazy generalisation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I'm surprised facial hair isn't on the list, that's a important one for me. I much prefer men with stubble/beardiness than clean shaven.

Also messy hair. I dislike short hair on men, any length after short hair to chin length is attractive to me.

Also biceps. I have never checked out a guys ass but seeing a guy flex his biceps while stretching stirs something in me :D.

They're my top three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

What an odd article.

I don't think I've ever broken down a guy's body parts in that kind of detail in my life, consciously or subconsciously, and I'd say most women would be more about the bigger picture.
    Every time I've consciously thought about the "type" of man I tend to go for, that will actively change and I'll barely have 'I like athletic men' out of my mouth when I'm suddenly dating or fawning over a skinny guy who smokes 60 a week and hasn't seen the inside of a gym in two decades. (That one's true actually)

There are things that I'd probably clock and that would peak my sexual interest - eyes, hands, chest, thighs, teeth (why isn't teeth on the list? Teeth are crucial), but at that point I'd likely have already made my mind up about the guy through the overall package of his physical presence, eye contact, his humour and social skills and his reaction to me - and those individual features are not really gonna influence me that much at that stage. Except to serve as a good aul perve :o

But I think judging on how men and women check each other out and how that brings attraction into play, the OP's list would be a kind of secondary thing and the addition of a good aRse or nice pair of hands would be a bonus in a guy I already fancy.

Why would you use a yellow font!?

Using a black theme so it stands out for them. A tad self focused but I'd reckon that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Fish Finger Pie

The results of the poll didn't surprise me. Women have been telling me I've got a nice butt since I was 13 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭stpaddy99

that list is missing lips noses and hands..........my missus and the previous ones were mad on those things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

For me it's simple - eyes, height (I like men taller than me to look upto), I like him to have good arms (for the reassuring hugs), a good work ethic is essential. Genuine and kind, that's all I look for in a guy.

I don't care about hair/ money/ or the other misconceptions.

Advertisement