Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ASCAT winds at 20:07. You can see the core of strongest winds just off the west coast, with a single 50-knot vector in there.

497180.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1203814980346417152

ALWAYS at least one isnt there ... every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gusting near 80kmh Arklow west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

A couple of big gusts now in Galway coming from an unusual direction, normally hits the front of the house from the west, this is more of a North westerly direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭aisling86

aidanodr wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/MunsterStorm/status/1203802025152204801

More to come this week?

D'Express in UK mentioning weather bombs and storm Brendan .. very reliable is D'Exprezz :D

So who here decided to jump on the weather bandwagon & set this page up 9hrs ago 🀣

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Gusting near 80kmh Arklow west

85.3kmh west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

And getting more violent now, and then calm again ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Some extremely heavy rain/hail now and more mad gusts. It's a wicked night.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

Some very strong gusts the last 15 minutes in Galway City .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Big gusts in Kildare. The roar across the countryside is getting louder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Am I imagining it getting stronger in cork city or is it that the wind is changing direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That, and the slightly ominous rattle on the roof above my bedroom are mine.....

Forgot to mention the letterbox....if it flaps there's some serious winds..lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

North Kildare is a yellow warning but it’s getting gusty out. Debating whether I need to get up and tie down the bins or am I being silly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Reports of a trampoline flying into the road in Turners Cross, and the winds sound like they're getting stronger instead of weaker in Douglas...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Gusting to 60km/h in Waterford City, In the grand scheme of things not that strong but for us sheltered folks in the Sunny South East it feels windy

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Wind very strong here just north of Arklow now. Really strong gusts blowing through the past hour or so. I hope a few precarious trees are still standing in the morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Darc19 wrote: »
    In many cases, the front of the bins will fit snuggly under a rear of house window sill. - certainly in the last 3 places I have lived.

A bale of briquettes or a bag of coal.

A brick might be too light in areas of high gusts

Unfortunately my bin has to sit out on the main road, or it don't get lifted. Hopefully it will stay upright.

It's pretty out there at present, and some heavy showers that sound like hail.

Anyone know how malin head is gusting recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Heard a loud noise and the lights flicker, looked outside and the streetlights have all gone out, alarms going off to here in thurles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Exceptional gusts south Kildare. Dogs had to be forced out for their night-time piddles 😂

Never seen them go so quickly 😂

All four of us snuggled in the bed. Wife complaining about dogs getting better treatment than her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭revelman

Real chaos at Cork airport tonight with numerous flights cancelled and diverted.

Do any of the experts here know if what is coming on Thursday/Friday will be as bad as tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

aidanodr wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/MunsterStorm/status/1203802025152204801

More to come this week?

D'Express in UK mentioning weather bombs and storm Brendan .. very reliable is D'Exprezz :D

https://twitter.com/weatheir/status/1203826086418821121

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

pad199207 wrote: »
    Big gusts in Kildare. The roar across the countryside is getting louder

The house here is timber frame and I could feel a little sway there on one of them gusts , long long time since I felt that and hadn’t got 12 pint bottles of Irish Champagne ( Bulmers ) in me .

Last 30 mins it’s really blowing a gale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Gusts completely died off in Galway gusting to 35mph at present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wind ramping up again last 20 mins with + 65km gusts from wnw

North Cork border

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Coastal wicklow very windy and noisy, hope those over west are doing OK

• Registered Users Posts: 25 greencoat

A fair ole wind starting to blow here in nrth dublin,good job i tied santa and the clan down with ropes in the garden,great thread cheers for all the informative posts,much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Tres Windy Meath. You can see the clouds rolling by thanks to the light of the moon.

Gusting to 55 knots at Sligo Airport now.

METAR EISG 090030Z AUTO 32032G55KT 4300 -RA SCT016 SCT023 BKN034 08/07 Q1000=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

The house here is timber frame and I could feel a little sway there on one of them gusts , long long time since I felt that and hadn’t got 12 pint bottles of Irish Champagne ( Bulmers ) in me .

Last 30 mins it’s really blowing a gale

My house does this from time to time. Not tonight thankfully. Always makes me a bit nervous to be woken up to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭highdef

Just a regular stormy winter night in North Kildare and when I say stormy I mean that average winds are of strong breeze to near gale force strength with the the strongest gusts being gale force 8, touching 9. Was walking the dog in the past hour and it was fine. All in all, the weather tonight is exactly as I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 curfumsarinn

Tonight is very very wild (Helvick Head, Co. Waterford). No chance of sleep. Windows bulging in and out. If I can hear the wind, and the letterbox is flapping, it’s bad. But if I can hear the wind and the letterbox isn’t flapping, it means it’s very bad, because it’s a different direction. The gusts are FIERCE. Christ knows what’s going to be in/not be in the garden tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Was windier at 2pm today than anytime since in SE Tipp,and you would get the likes of that in a March shower but maybe it will get worse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Just saw a couple of lovely streaking meteorites when daring to put the bin out. Moonlight in Mayo but still blowing hard out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

Very windy in Cork now wheelie bins blown over by us so there is recycling all over the place and fierce strong gusts.
    Letter box flapping the howling at the side of the house seems louder as we are a semi detached.
    Makes me nervous whenever we have storms Like this fence is already repaired from Last years storms so I dunno will it still be standing
    Tomorrow.
    The winds are worse than I expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Relatively a non event where I live near Limerick city. We do have gusty winds but it is not too noisy. We have fair weather conditions at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mortelaro wrote: »
    You've feckin got me wanting this now :p

lol... By the time I got to the kitchen and the bread in the toaster. the yen had commuted to ... sausages and..... beans!

Which I ate by candlelight as the power failed just as I was starting on them... Excellent storm fare though!

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Anyone heard any reports of funnel cloud activity ? The reason I ask is something went through the bottom of the garden 20 mins ago which was very loud and high pitched, it took 15 seconds to get through the garden and I could hear it as it went down the mountainside. It was most likely some kind of vortex as we are high up, and theres lots of rock around. Still as bad as its been, I think the mountains shielded this part of Kerry from the earlier effects, even down at the beach it was not too bad, but then this slight shift to NW seems to make a huge difference.

600 FT asl - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

That was..... the BANSHEE!! You have had a lucky escape... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lexi-lexi

Wild here just outside Gorey co Wexford. Big bang woke me bins rolling around the garden -the sound of the wind is mad ! Pretty scary too watching the trees in the garden, we have several big ones not looking forward to seeing the damage in morning

corsav6 wrote: »
    Wild as I've seen in a few years here outside Newport. Between 9pm and 10:30pm there was some sustained powerful gusts with little break between. Personal weather station maxed out at 130km, probably not 100% accurate but certainly well above 100km for it to max out.
    Seems to have eased off in the last 45 mins or so with just the odd strong gust.

Hope your safe and well Graces

ALl fine here. The power went as I was seeking food. Amazed it had not gone earlier. Whatever the problems we have in Ireland, ESB and An Post are stars .

Power came on an hour or two later but was and am drained so hunkered down; did not realise how long this " event" was going to last.

Sounds easier out there now. Thankfully. But bitterly cold.

All well with all here? Hope so...

km79 wrote: »
    We look to have been very lucky in South Mayo. We are in the only sector from west to east that has no outages in that map

They fixed ours out here in the far west of mayo in about an hour. Awesome service; there may have been several more that were cleared

Just reading breaking news.ie and eirgrid are ecstatic at the record breaking windpower generation last night!

an ill wind that bodes no good indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

We weren't supposed to see much anyway but absolutely nothing to report from east Limerick. Saturday night was much worse for both rain and wind. I love storms hope we can get a big one over the next few weeks with some sparks too. 2013/14 was my dream winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭highdef

Graces7 wrote: »
    That was..... the BANSHEE!! You have had a lucky escape... :eek:

:D:pac::D:pac::D:pac::D:pac::D:pac::D:pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Graces7 wrote: »
    ALl fine here. The power went as I was seeking food. Amazed it had not gone earlier. Whatever the problems we have in Ireland, ESB and An Post are stars .

Power came on an hour or two later but was and am drained so hunkered down; did not realise how long this " event" was going to last.

Sounds easier out there now. Thankfully. But bitterly cold.

All well with all here? Hope so...

How are the cats?

How are the cats?

Fine! The new feral tends to hide in wild weather but has just been to the door for food, the best sign of all weather wise ;)

Oh ALL SO QUIET HERE! SHEER BLISS!:D

No real wind to speak of here in North Kildare at least. Gusts around 46 kts were the extent of it.

I think the highest gust recorded anywhere was 69 knots? It turned out pretty much as forecast, with no real surprises. It was a very complex system on paper, and the strongest winds occured offshore earlier in the day. A few hours either way and it could have been even stronger in the west and southwest.

There will be a jet streak of about 360 km/h forming off Canada this week so we'll see what comes out of that.

greencoat wrote: »
    A fair ole wind starting to blow here in nrth dublin,good job i tied santa and the clan down with ropes in the garden,great thread cheers for all the informative posts,much appreciated

:eek:Only just seen this YOU KIDNAPPED SANTA!! That poor old man! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Timfy

So, sitting at the head of Killary harbour on the Mayo / Galway border.

Atiyah bought no significant weather here, with gusts peaking at 56.2km/h at 11:15 on Sunday morning... 20km/h less than recorded on Saturday!

Rainfall over the 24 hour period amounted to 26.1mm

Now, I am a great supporter of Met Éireann and realise that every event is an event for someone, but so much of the area went into apocalypse mode as the storm went to category orange... how did the forecast go so astray?

The Connemara coastline was singled out as one of the main areas to be expecting high orange / possible red winds and mentioned in Met IE advisories. Councils closed down Christmas and sporting events that had been months in the planning. I followed the charts as they were released and saw projections of 130+km/h winds.

For large parts of the West coast, this did not warrant a yellow, let alone red advisory. Why did Met Éireann, and also myself, overestimate this so badly. The nine o'clock news showed a moderately damaged yucca plant in Sligo and a car that got stuck on a beach as part of a 20 minute report - not exactly the sharknado we were warned about.

Winds were tricky in Cork, with a couple of lighter planes being rerouted, I do however wonder if the flights that were cancelled due to red status could have actually made it in relatively easily?

I have always defended Met.IEs county by county system but yesterday showed me that much finer granularity is required and advisories and warnings should be updated / downgraded on a much more regular interval.

Sorry all, I've just read this back and it appears that I've turned into "that" guy

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Having read this three times it bears no resemblance to yesterday for many of us. The forecast did not " go astray". It was accurate and welcomed

What I have bolded explains your error .

As I have just seen the forecast for tonight, am off to catch up on some sleep after last night's din..

PS I know Killary very well and it is a blessedly sheltered spot and atypical . You are every very fortunate.

[
    UOTE=Timfy;111973275]So, sitting at the head of Killary harbour on the Mayo / Galway border.

Atiyah bought no significant weather here, with gusts peaking at 56.2km/h at 11:15 on Sunday morning... 20km/h less than recorded on Saturday!

Rainfall over the 24 hour period amounted to 26.1mm

Now, I am a great supporter of Met Éireann and realise that every event is an event for someone, but so much of the area went into apocalypse mode as the storm went to category orange... how did the forecast go so astray?

The Connemara coastline was singled out as one of the main areas to be expecting high orange / possible red winds and mentioned in Met IE advisories. Councils closed down Christmas and sporting events that had been months in the planning. I followed the charts as they were released and saw projections of 130+km/h winds.

For large parts of the West coast, this did not warrant a yellow, let alone red advisory. Why did Met Éireann, and also myself, overestimate this so badly. The nine o'clock news showed a moderately damaged yucca plant in Sligo and a car that got stuck on a beach as part of a 20 minute report - not exactly the sharknado we were warned about.

Winds were tricky in Cork, with a couple of lighter planes being rerouted, I do however wonder if the flights that were cancelled due to red status could have actually made it in relatively easily?

I have always defended Met.IEs county by county system but yesterday showed me that much finer granularity is required and advisories and warnings should be updated / downgraded on a much more regular interval.

Sorry all, I've just read this back and it appears that I've turned into "that" guy[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was woken twice during the night in cork city with strong gusts hitting the house, then they just suddenly seemed to stop. Interesting system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

A few decent gusts before going to bed in Kildare last night but nothing really woke me after that. So just a really windy night here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement