Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Gone all out team red in my new build. Ordered today, hopefully will arrive before the of the week
    3700X
    Powercolor 5700XT Dual Fan OC
    Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB PRO Black 3600mhz 2x8gb
    MSI B450M Mortar Max
    CoolerMaster MasterBox NR400
    Antec Neoeco 650W

Hopefully it should look small, clean and neat. Think its the first time in about 10 years I've not just upgraded, but built all from scratch (minus SSDs)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Super interesting mouse design:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Just got the ViewSonic VP3268-4K delivered from CCL and it came out the box with 5 dead pixels, a tiny bit of dust behind some 3 or 4 other pixels and a mysterious mini-DP cable with what looks like some paint scrapings and old paper sticker markings. Pretty sure they just sent me someone else's RMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My 5700 XT is better than my old Vega 56. Playing GTA V this evening and it was rock solid 60fps at 4K. I'd say it would do more than 60fps if you tweaked settings and had a screen that displayed more than 60. IT wouldn't 144Hz at 4k but I'd say you would get 70's even high 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Gone all out team red in my new build. Ordered today, hopefully will arrive before the of the week
    3700X
    Powercolor 5700XT Dual Fan OC
    Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB PRO Black 3600mhz 2x8gb
    MSI B450M Mortar Max
    CoolerMaster MasterBox NR400
    Antec Neoeco 650W

Hopefully it should look small, clean and neat. Think its the first time in about 10 years I've not just upgraded, but built all from scratch (minus SSDs)
    Just be sure to install the newest 19.9.2 Radeon driver. The main issue I've had thus far were BSODs if you didn't disable hardware acceleration in Firefox, Steam & Discord. The odd crash with the Radeon overlay turned on too. 19.9.2 has totally solved all of that now though.
    My 5700 XT is better than my old Vega 56. Playing GTA V this evening and it was rock solid 60fps at 4K. I'd say it would do more than 60fps if you tweaked settings and had a screen that displayed more than 60. IT wouldn't 144Hz at 4k but I'd say you would get 70's even high 70's.
    I came from a GTX 1070 and the performance uplift is really nice. The 1070 on some of the reasonably modern titles would be down around 45-50fps, but now I'm easily at 60+ on ultra everywhere I've tried thus far. I game at 1440p though.

Which 5700XT did you go for?

• Advertisement

mp3guy wrote: »
    Just got the ViewSonic VP3268-4K delivered from CCL and it came out the box with 5 dead pixels, a tiny bit of dust behind some 3 or 4 other pixels and a mysterious mini-DP cable with what looks like some paint scrapings and old paper sticker markings. Pretty sure they just sent me someone else's RMA.

Photos for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Photos for anyone interested.

How close to it are you sitting? 4K pixels are tiny on a screen that size

EoinHef wrote: »
    How close to it are you sitting? 4K pixels are tiny on a screen that size

Close enough to see the pixels. ViewSonic offer zero defective pixels on VP series monitors so no way I'm accepting it. Also a black cluster is much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

You're not having much luck on the monitor front lately!

.G. wrote: »
    You're not having much luck on the monitor front lately!

I think the moral of the story is never buy a new monitor ever.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Definitely send that back anyway.

z0oT wrote: »

Which 5700XT did you go for?

I went for the reference model. It's not as loud as reviewers make out. But you can hear it I suppose when gaming if you were to sit there listening for it but I don't hear it as I wear headphones. It's still no where near as loud as a 290 I had a few years ago.

I went for the reference model. It's not as loud as reviewers make out. But you can hear it I suppose when gaming if you were to sit there listening for it but I don't hear it as I wear headphones. It's still no where near as loud as a 290 I had a few years ago.

Are you going to do a washer mod/thermal paste application though?
    Would improve thermals a fair bit.

I replaced the thermal paste. From looking at it from my eye anyway it didn't look like it needed the washers.

I don't seem to have a great overclocking 5700 XT on the core that is. It seems decent on Memory well kind decent a bit above average but bad on core. That German guy from Igorslab can hit 2200MHz no problem, mine can't, ah well.

I don't seem to have a great overclocking 5700 XT on the core that is. It seems decent on Memory well kind decent a bit above average but bad on core. That German guy from Igorslab can hit 2200MHz no problem, mine can't, ah well.

IgorsLab uses Power Play Tables modding to hit that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

And it's 100% not recommended on reference boards.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I use morepowertool which is the same thing as power play tables but in a more user friendly gui.

Maybe the morepowertool is not working right. I will try to mod the power play tables the old way and see if it is any different later.

As I suspected the Power play table mods return the same out come on my card as the morepowertool did. No good at overclocking on the core.

But one thing about my card is without any tools or editing reg files just overclocking out of the box it returns the below score. Graphics score that is. I was just testing graphics so CPU is just a mild overclock that I use everyday.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/8569095

That's a 9549 graphics score right out of the box which is pretty darn good.

I just remembered after typing that out that there is one mod done and can't be bothered to type out a different bit of text. I replaced the pad with paste. No special paste just paste I have that I bought 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

You're still rocking an X58 system in 2019?

It's surely a bit of a bottleneck for the 5700 XT now? Probably not so much at 4K though.

• Advertisement

z0oT wrote: »
    You're still rocking an X58 system in 2019?

It's surely a bit of a bottleneck for the 5700 XT now? Probably not so much at 4K though.

I don't see any bottle neck tbh. 6GB's of RAM also. Never ran out.

I will eventually get a Zen system as I have been saying for a few years now but I see no bottle neck so can't be bothered plus I don't game much on PC any more which is another factor. I use my Xbox One X for that.

And yes when I do game on PC it's 4k so you wouldn't really notice any bottleneck and I game on the same 4k Tv on my Xbox One X. So my PC would look better. And also it's only 60Hz. Obviously if I have a higher refresh 4k Tv/monitor and a more powerful graphics card the x58 system wouldn't be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,315 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

AXYJxQA.jpg

prevents windows from freezing

:eek: Bad taste... :p

Annnd it seems my 5700 XT, PSU and mobo have got lost in the post. Missing parcel on delivery (1 of 2).

I'd hold faith it will turn up eventually. My mother ordered something from England a month ago and went missing as well. Eventually it got sent back to supplier so she received it Monday this week.

Contact the supplier and see if they received it back.

I got onto DPD this morning. It's stuck in a UK checkpoint, due on Friday or early next week. Argggh

I'm really digging this Tech Channel guy as of late.

I seen this vid the other day. I hate his voice.

My new PC is done woo. Old vs new 3dmark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I seen this vid the other day. I hate his voice.

My new PC is done woo. Old vs new 3dmark

Yeah I'm kinda in the same boat when it comes to Tech Deals, I want to like him but he just sounds... I don't know, I just can't put my finger on it, he sounds like he is talking to children or something??
    Maybe he is catering to that market?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Reminds me of one of those late night infomercial presenters.

Advertisement