Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nice - Bastille day **mod warning post 1**

• 14-07-2016 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Anyone else watching the news from Nice? Some lunatic drove a truck into a crowd of people celebrating Bastille day. Several people are dead, according to various media sources.

mod: I've had to remove a video showing terrible things. Please don't post anything like that. Consider the fact that people are not prepared to deal with videos of the results of an attack.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Berserker wrote: »
    Anyone else watching the news from Nice? Some lunatic drove a truck into a crowd of people celebrating Bastille day. Several people are dead, according to various media sources.

Sky reporting a senior official in Nice talking about "dozens dead".

Also qualifying that by saying it is early days in terms of whether it is deliberate or not.

Horrific

Sky reporting a senior official in Nice talking about "dozens dead".

Also qualifying that by saying it is early days.

Horrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

30 - 50 dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

30 - 50 dead

Shocking stuff.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

https://www.rt.com/news/351086-panic-nice-france-crowd/

RT saying "unconfirmed reports of gunfire"

Hopefully not...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

cops gun fighting with dudes in truck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

looks like french security droped their guard after the euros's

Picture on Sky News of a lorry riddled with bullets which suggests police were trying to stop the vehicle.

Shooters are hold up in a local restaurant.

French TV says at least 30 killed.

Jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

Coming to a neighborhood near you soon, if you watched Prime Time tonight it made for shocking viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

My first thought was that it might have been like the "accident" in Glasgow a couple of years ago, but apparently not. Shocking stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Hopefully, an isolated incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Coming to a neighborhood near you soon, if you watched Prime Time tonight it made for shocking viewing.

Missed it, can you elaborate? ISIS have claimed responsibility. What is it about France that they hate so much?

TallGlass wrote: »
    Hopefully, an isolated incident.

A daily occurrence unfortunately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamist_terrorist_attacks#2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,809 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Shocking... Nice is like a home away from home for me and have a good few friends down there... thankfully all coming back as ok thankfully but still..... the world is just such a crap ****ed up place these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Missed it, can you elaborate? ISIS have claimed responsibility. What is it about France that they hate so much?

Seem to be heavily integrated into there society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Jesus. Some horrible photos on social media. Nice is one of my favourite places in the World, I was only there a week ago. Urgh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

BBC version http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36800730
    A lorry has struck a crowd during Bastille Day celebrations in the southern French city of Nice, media reports and witnesses say.
    The incident took place on the Promenade des Anglais during a firework display, the reports said.
    One image on Twitter showed about a dozen people lying on the street, some being tended to.
    The local prefecture has urged people in the area to remain indoors, calling the incident "an attack".
    Some reports spoke of shots being exchanged between police and the occupants of the lorry but these have not been confirmed.
    Social media video showed people running through the streets in panic following the incident.
    A journalist with the Nice Matin newspaper reported from the scene that there was "a lot of blood and without doubt many injured".
    An Agence France-Presse reporter said the incident took place as the firework display was ending, adding: "We saw people hit and bits of debris flying around."
    Another image on Twitter showed a white lorry stopped in the middle of the promenade with damage to its front, and four police officers observing it while taking cover behind a palm tree.

Shooters are hold up in a local restaurant.

source ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Fuuuuck just popped up on my phone (Independent app). At least 30 killed, and local news is reporting that it's being treated as an attack.

With those numbers involved, I'm guessing it was an attack alright rather than an accident, however I wouldn't give much credit to ISIS claiming responsibility for it. They tend to claim all major tragedies!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

CNN showing a picture of a lot of people lying on the ground, it put a chill down my spine.

The poor French people.

Sorry ignore that, realised there it's that right wing EDL fella..... apologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Missed it, can you elaborate? ISISthave claimed responsibility. What is it about France that they hate so much?

RTE plus 1 on now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Tommy Robinson is the far-right former leader of the English Defence League. I'd take his tweets with a pinch of salt for now.

It has nothing to do with France, rather to do with Islamic Demographics and once their population goes above 10% and higher terrorism and trouble are regular occurrences. France has the largest population of Muslims in Europe. France has lax security plus a huge demograph of self-hating liberal SJW who brand any objection to immigration or terrorism to be Racist. This is a problem of Frances own making; the chickens have come home to roost for the French with their ultra-left wing social policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Fuuuuck just popped up on my phone (Independent app). At least 30 killed, and local news is reporting that it's being treated as an attack.

With those numbers involved, I'm guessing it was an attack alright rather than an accident, however I wouldn't give much credit to ISIS claiming responsibility for it. They tend to claim all major tragedies!

Same I was planning on some light entertainment and then on the Independent app the news popped up.

We are all at one with the French nation, hope we can do more to stop these senseless attacks on innocents.

10s of people killed, hundred injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

****ing hell. This is horrible.

RIP to all the victims. Such a beautiful place, only recently there. This is shocking. Wonderful locals and great atmosphere during the euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

awful news :(

Sorry ignore that, realised there it's that right wing EDL fella..... apologies

Yeah... I'd guess knowing where the Bufalo Grill is that if it was the case it would be on the news already...

according to sky news the driver is confirmed dead... If it was multiple shooters at this stage think we'd know... still so ****ing tragic... :(

philstar wrote: »
    looks like french security droped their guard after the euros's
    How do you expect security services to be able to protect 100% of the country 100% of the time. It's impossible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

RobertKK wrote: »
    CNN showing a picture of a lot of people lying on the ground, it put a chill down my spine.

The poor French people.

I know people are just recording what they see but I seen a few pics on twitter of dead people, that if I knew them, I could have identified which is not the way a concerned family/friend should find out or even see.
    What a horrible event - reports of shots on twitter, hopefully the police stop it, and hopefully that lorry is not rigged to blow up once opened. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Christ, not again :( those poor, poor people. What a horrifying way to go :( RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

It has nothing to do with France, rather to do with Islamic Demographics and once their population goes above 10% and higher terrorism and trouble are regular occurrences. France has the largest population of Muslims in Europe. France has lax security plus a huge demograph of self-hating liberal SJW who brand any objection to immigration or terrorism to be Racist. This is a problem of Frances own making; the chickens have come home to roost for the French with their ultra-left wing social policies.

They didn't have any domestic terrorism so they decided to import it.

These attacks are becoming far too frequent. Whatever we are doing as a whole isn't working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think its the French invasion of Iraq in 2003. That is what sparked off ISIS and Islamic terrorism. So I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well it never takes long for a massacre to be turned into a political football on AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

lawlolawl wrote: »

These attacks are becoming far too frequent. Whatever we are doing as a whole isn't working.

We? Like the West?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Sand wrote: »
    I think its the French invasion of Iraq in 2003. That is what sparked off ISIS and Islamic terrorism. So I hear.

The people on the street murdered tonight didn't invade anywhere

Passerby video. Truely sickening.

*removed*

Please don't post videos like this again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

ISIS just kill anything. They are like Pitbulls with AIDS.

There was a piece in the New York Times last year about how they take a hyperactive amphetmine and often going on killing rampages among themselves when they run out of enemies.

Its like something out of the Middle Ages meets that movie Altered States from the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Hopefully these lads don't find a supply of anthrax.

Well it never takes long for a massacre to be turned into a political football on AH.

Whole wars are turned into political debating points in grander arenas than AH.
    Lackey wrote: »

That would imply that ISIS simply do not care about what people who are concerned about the legality of the Iraqi war care about. That would challenge a lot of narcissistic introspection. So it must be rejected.

Lackey wrote: »

tbf either were the terrorist involved with the taliban/hussein/nuclear weapons/al qaeda before their families were killed by American/European bombings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    ISIS just kill anything. They are like Pitbulls with AIDS.

Actually they're very specific about who they kill, and why. This whole narrative that they're simply maniacs with no ideology is harmful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Twitter is great for up to the minute news for things like this, but the amount of graphic pictures and images is a little sickening. Why would you want to tweet something like that?

tbf either were the terrorist involved with the taliban/hussein/nuclear weapons/al qaeda before their families were killed by American/European bombings

How many of the attackers in Paris 2015 or London 2007 lost family members to American/European bombings?

Honestly - do you even know who is attacking you?

You are dealing with an evil on par with the Dirlewanger brigade and you are trying to explain their hatred, violence and murder. There is no explanation. You kill them. You bury them. And you continue on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

lawlolawl wrote: »

France has had domestic terrorism since the 60s, middle eastern terrorism since the 70s, northern african terrorism since the 90s.

And it did not invade Iraq in 2003. Remember the "freedom fries"?

• Advertisement
Advertisement