Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yes, rename your 2.4ghz with a different SSID to 5ghz and move your cameras over

Sorry goo, can you dumb that down a bit?

I have a vm router that has both 2.4/5 as options, and I've an eero connected to it now also.

I don't think the nest cam will allow me to use 5gz ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

McMurphy wrote: »
    Sorry goo, can you dumb that down a bit?

I have a vm router that has both 2.4/5 as options, and I've an eero connected to it now also.

I don't think the nest cam will allow me to use 5gz ?

No, outdoor cameras do not have 5ghz. If you are using eero you should be disabling WiFi completely on the VM router, you cannot have both our you will just cause interference. You should have the option to name 2.4ghz and 5ghz differently in the eero settings

Edit: this article says it's not possible to split the bands
    https://www.androidcentral.com/does-eero-support-separate-24ghz-and-5ghz-ssids

No, outdoor cameras do not have 5ghz. If you are using eero you should be disabling WiFi completely on the VM router, you cannot have both our you will just cause interference. You should have the option to name 2.4ghz and 5ghz differently in the eero settings

Ah.... You might be on to something there! Didn't realise that will experiment in the afternoon and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks lads, looks like the eero isn't going to solve my problem either, I've the router in the sitting room, and the nest cam is outside the house (sitting room external wall)

Still getting intermittent camera disconnected warnings. :mad:

Anyone any ideas?

Maybe I should try switching all my other devices (few Google homes 4 in total) smart TVs over to 5ghz and keep the nest camera and the smart plugs (2 of) and bulbs (2 of) on the 2.4?

I had a horrendous time with disconnects on my two outdoor camera's. I used some range extenders initially and they worked for a time but didn't fully solve the issue. I then got a Mesh system from Huawei which was better but there was still frequent dropouts. I said feck it, got the Google Wi-Fi and I don't know what magic is in the units but it's been a dream since. There is still the occasional dropout but it's totally acceptable and quite rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Why can't any of this smart speakers have a dedicated function button the the user can assign.

• Advertisement

I had a horrendous time with disconnects on my two outdoor camera's. I used some range extenders initially and they worked for a time but didn't fully solve the issue. I then got a Mesh system from Huawei which was better but there was still frequent dropouts. I said feck it, got the Google Wi-Fi and I don't know what magic is in the units but it's been a dream since. There is still the occasional dropout but it's totally acceptable and quite rare.

I'll mess around with my eero, trying the advice gooey gave me over the weekend, and if no use I'll keep an eye out for Google WiFi on cyber Monday.

If they solve the issue I'll throw my eero up for sale.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'll mess around with my eero, trying the advice gooey gave me over the weekend, and if no use I'll keep an eye out for Google WiFi on cyber Monday.

If they solve the issue I'll throw my eero up for sale.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cyber Monday was three days ago.

Cyber Monday was three days ago.

I bought a time machine on black Friday :pac:

I think this legend might have solved my problem, I know it's early days but not one disconnection issue since I disabled 2.4/5 on my VM router yesterday evening, and have checked and no disconnection issues during the night.

Funny thing is I followed the instructions on the eero app to the T when setting it up, and I definitely don't recall seeing anything about disabling the VM WiFi signals.

Cheers Gooey, I'll leave it be over the weekend for a more detailed analysis, but so far I reckon I owe you a beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I think this legend might have solved my problem, I know it's early days but not one disconnection issue since I disabled 2.4/5 on my VM router yesterday evening, and have checked and no disconnection issues during the night.

Funny thing is I followed the instructions on the eero app to the T when setting it up, and I definitely don't recall seeing anything about disabling the VM WiFi signals.

Cheers Gooey, I'll leave it be over the weekend for a more detailed analysis, but so far I reckon I owe you a beer!

Yeah there are 13 channels in Europe (only 11 in the USA) in 2.4ghz but they overlap giving you in reality 3 non overlapping channels 1, 6 and 11 (if you omit 11 and 12 as you want to allow any device set to USA regs, iPhones used be!). 5ghz has a lot more channels so overlapping is not an issue. Chances are your VM and Eero both selected the same channel 1, 6 or 11 and caused interference on each other, could even be your neighbors if you are close enough. You can get a WiFi analyser app for your smartphone to see what's in use nearby. Some baby monitor and video sender's can use the same frequencies but not show up as they don't use 802.11 standards

535104.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Has anybody any suggestions for this problem with routines?

I’ve a Nest Hub Max, two Minis and a new Wifi puck w/assistant, and I can’t get routines to work at all.

I’ve only managed to get routines to work properly on the Nest Hub Max, I’m mainly tried the stock routines with a combination of lights/weather news/Spotify and until this morning my night time routine was working on the Hub Max. The mini did all of the actions except playing Spotify, the wifi puck just says good night back to me 😂

Tried two custom routines last night, switching on/off three plugs. Again, the Hub Max worked but nothing else.

This morning the only thing that works is assistant on my iOS phone.

I’ve lost the routines tab in home/assistant on iOS (seems to be a bug with latest update) but I have a Fire tablet that I can still access them on.

Not tried removing/factory resets yet.

Language on all devices running the home app is English (ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

A heads-up for anyone interested. Got a bunch of Smart Plugs & Smart Bulbs from Lidl special buys this morning. They knit in perfectly with Google Home & as they are also ZigBee compatible they tie in with the Philips Hue system also. They also have a 2m smart lightstrip available which I decided not to go for. They are manufactured by Silvercrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

A heads-up for anyone interested. Got a bunch of Smart Plugs & Smart Bulbs from Lidl special buys this morning. They knit in perfectly with Google Home & as they are also ZigBee compatible they tie in with the Philips Hue system also. They also have a 2m smart lightstrip available which I decided not to go for. They are manufactured by Silvercrest.

did you get the extension lead to connect to the Hue?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭PreCocious

Anyone noticing that Google Assistant has got slower over the past week ?

"ok Google, what's the weather" no longer works (have to add "in Cork"). "ok Google play discover weekly on Spotify" doesn't work and it would have been one of my most used commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

PreCocious wrote: »
    Anyone noticing that Google Assistant has got slower over the past week ?

"ok Google, what's the weather" no longer works (have to add "in Cork"). "ok Google play discover weekly on Spotify" doesn't work and it would have been one of my most used commands.

We've definitely noticed our performance to have significantly detriated in recent weeks, had put it down to swapping the kitchen home for the lennovo clock but maybe it's something else

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Apple music will not play when casting to speaker group any ideas why?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

DeadSkin wrote: »
    did you get the extension lead to connect to the Hue?
    I didn't get the extension lead at all. I saw on some online review that you couldn't control the sockets individually. If you try to power one off, supply is cut to all sockets in the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Apple music will not play when casting to speaker group any ideas why?

Have you signed up for the 'make my apple product work as expected' subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

For info, the google home max is now discontinued, so if you are looking for a high end audio smart speakers you will have to look at the likes of non google devices, eg Sonos or harman kardan smart speakers.

I have one harman speaker, citation 500 with fantastic audio quality, but as a non google speakers,.it is lacking in some featuresfor.examole, duo calling is not available on this speaker, so all.my smart speakers with the exception.of this one (the most expensive one) will do duo calling

I contacted harman about it, and basically after a lot of tooing and froing, they basically told me to.go.away and stop annoying them, they have no plans to enable the feature

At that point I had been thinking, bigger should have gone for the google home max, but now even that option isn't available

So, a word of caution, there is a disconnect between actual features enabled or deployed in standard google made speakers and other brand speakers, you don't always get the full feature set, and may well end up missing some neat features

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have the Max but I also have 2 of the new Nest Speakers and I have to say the 2 speakers setup together in stereo are better than the Max, in fact I was thinking when the Christmas decorations go down that the Max might be going as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

New to the world of home automation, in the last week I have a few google speakers connected to some lights and plugs I dont have a spotify or youtube premium account and at present the system plays the youtube with adds.
    There are four of us in the house including 2 kids under 10 years who I have signed up to my google family with child accounts.

I will sign up to youtube premium but do I need to do family? I imagine 99% use would be within the house but if the account is linked to my google account which is used to set up all of the speakers will the premium features work for my wife and kids or would I have to sign up to the you tube premium family?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

No need to sign up to google family once the smart devices are linked to your account, everything through the speakers will be "premium" through your account regardless of who activates them but your wife and kids won't be able to avail of your premium on their own devices as their accounts aren't premium

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Raoul

Another one here has noticed a decline in the performance of google in the last week or so.

Tempted to try out some of the LIDL stuff. Looking around to see what I can needlessly automate :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Anything to be done when using a google speaker causing another to apologise in a nearby room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

play Newstalk radio - sorry apple music isnt available in your country

I swear, it's close to useless at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

jogdish wrote: »

“Ok, Google, play NewsTalk FM” works for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

"Hey google, Play X on tune in" works for me everytime lately, even the RTE stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

jogdish wrote: »

Ive been getting that for about 2 weeks with 2FM. Everything else works fine.
    Fitz* wrote: »
    "Hey google, Play X on tune in" works for me everytime lately, even the RTE stations.

Not for myself on 2FM :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Is there any plans to make Google nest hubs and max hubs more available in Ireland? I have a nest hub that I ended up getting from eBay in the UK & it was the US version, no difference that i can see except for the plug, I'd like the get the max for the living room but it feels like Google doesn't want my cash at the moment, meanwhile echos are everywhere!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    Is there any plans to make Google nest hubs and max hubs more available in Ireland? I have a nest hub that I ended up getting from eBay in the UK & it was the US version, no difference that i can see except for the plug, I'd like the get the max for the living room but it feels like Google doesn't want my cash at the moment, meanwhile echos are everywhere!!

I got a Nest Hub in Power City last month. They also had them in DID, Currys etc.

Somebody mentioned here that the Max was being discontinued I think.

Advertisement