Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭irelandrover

robbiezero wrote: »
    So we should expect to see this in cities that have held Euro 2020 games in about 2 weeks yes?

Maybe not, the government were forced to make a decision early enough. At that point there was still a lot unknown about the vaccine supply and no one really had an idea how far along they would be.

Considering Ireland weren't even involved in the matches it seems that they took a responsible decision to not host the games. That might be the wrong decision in hindsight but it doesn't mean it was wrong at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

So with restrictions tightening for those arriving from the UK, do you think they will continue to ignore government advice or suddenly adhere?

Lots of people flying in from Uk, 10+ flights per day and some just flying in to visit family for a weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Graham wrote: »
    absolutely

Would be a fairly daft approach though. I'm sure there's a middle ground somewhere that makes more sense.

i agree , wholeheartedly , that's why I cry at the safety first above all else notions people have.
    - well maybe not cry but you know what I mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This is obtuseness and pedantry gone mad. You asked me did I think the north’s relatively advanced level of reopening was due to vaccines or something right? Yes. Yes it is. Is that OK now? ...

Thanks. A straightforward answer. Good

Though really no need for the constant superfluous comments on wild tangents and flinging ****e. It's simply a discussion btw.

Any "obtuseness and pedantry" is your own tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

seamus wrote: »
    The point is that if we held these events, reopening would likely have to be pushed back.

I'm calling bullsh1t on this.

Its absolute nonsense.

Yesterday we saw 242 cases.

No it doesn't. virus is the same here as in every other country.

Simple fact is that Ireland is getting this wrong.

How do you figure that out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

That depends entirely on the situation in those countries.
    Needs more explanation I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,580 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

robbiezero wrote: »
    The UK re-opening being pushed back has absolutely nothing to do with Euro 2020.

Well, it very well could be. You could argue everything up this point at least for the last month has to do with reopening being pushed out.

England are at the moment are in 'football is coming home" mode, after a plucky win against a lets face it worn Croatian side. They will go out on penos in the quarters or semis but that is beside point.

Now what happens inside the stadium may be relatively safe, but there is little controls around the festival atmosphere that happens outside and by outside I mean the entire country.

I think the restrictions at the moment over there constitute meeting 6 in your household.

That ain't conjusive to 'football is coming home" mode.

All though indoor pubs are open.

So there lies the problem, according to their scientists they may be balls deep in a third wave in the next couple of weeks, with no restrictive mitigation in play and an entire nation in festival mode. It would suggest things will only go in the one direction.

Either way, we will get a trove of data over the next 4 weeks if their scientists are proved correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

First match of the Euros with full capacity starting soon. Can't wait to see 61,000 people sitting close together sharing germs. I suspect in 2 weeks time we should see massive case numbers . Or at least if there isn't we can just say they are not reliable to tell us the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

gozunda wrote: »
    How do you figure that out?

On the basis that everyone else has arrived at a different conclusion with the same set of circumstances.

Let's not fool ourselves and think that the Irish Public Health team are uniquely better than the public health experts in the rest of Europe

First match of the Euros with full capacity starting soon. Can't wait to see 61,000 people sitting close together sharing germs. I suspect in 2 weeks time we should see massive case numbers . Or at least if there isn't we can just say they are not reliable to tell us the truth.

I can’t say that is is safe of not safe on Budapest right now to host a full capacity match. In all likelihood it may well be. We can’t be using the Orban government as a yardstick to measure good decisions on Covid matters however. 3x our per capita death rate says otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I hope Tony isn't watching the match on Budapest. Not sure he'd cope with it!

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Just wait till you see, full level 5 lockdown by December.

No level 5 last December, prior to the vaccine being available. Why do you think it'll be different this time around?

Also, if there's no level 5 lockdown.......will you eat your words and admit you were talking rubbish?
    puzl wrote: »
    No reason yet. Our weekly cases are going down at a very good rate ( -20% last 7 days vs 7 days before ) and if this trend continues or stays flat then there's nothing to stop us from having a semi-normal summer with indoor dining, gigs, sports matches ( albeit with limited capacity ).

However, if the numbers start to spike like they have in the UK ( +50% ) then they'll have to reconsider some of the relaxations, but even then hopefully there'll still be plenty of room for manoeuvre.

Get out of here with your reasoning. This is the place for kneejerk reactions and claiming everyone is fearmongering while being perpetually afraid that Tony H is under your bed threatening level 5 if you touch yourself at night.
    TomSweeney wrote: »
    Just for those that think there is people not enjoying the misery and fear mongering
    These people are mentally ill, I doubt the story is even true.

1. Why do you doubt the story?
    2. why do you think she's enjoying her friends' being hospitalised, there's no indication anywhere that I can see where you surmised this from?
    3. which people are mentally ill?......the people aged 50+ going to hospital for a disease which is infamous for killing elderly people? I'd argue that NOT going to hospital indicates signs of decreased mental faulties
    zackory wrote: »
    I'm calling bullsh1t on this.

Its absolute nonsense.

Yesterday we saw 242 cases.

Your logic is so skewed, that it's bizarre. You do realise the cases and the holding of gigs are not just unrelated to each other, they are in direct contravention of each other.......don't you?

You're using the case number results of having no big events to justify having loads of big events......i.e..."Last week, I didn't drive the car anywhere and there were no crashes. That means this week I can drive everywhere because, as the facts have shown, there were no crashes last week".

Please, please, please tell me you can see the absurd contradiction in what you're saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

No level 5 last December, prior to the vaccine being available. Why do you think it'll be different this time around?

Also, if there's no level 5 lockdown.......will you eat your words and admit you were talking rubbish?

YES!

I hope to!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,138 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I hope Tony isn't watching the match on Budapest. Not sure he'd cope with it!

I'm not sure he'd approve of the street scenes either

https://twitter.com/marinovpeixoto/status/1404802541519577100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What level do you see us being in next winter? What kind of restrictions do you see the Government imposing?

Your logic is so skewed, that it's bizarre. You do realise the cases and the holding of gigs are not just unrelated to each other, they are in direct contravention of each other.......don't you?

You're using the case number results of having no big events to justify having loads of big events......i.e..."Last week, I didn't drive the car anywhere and there were no crashes. That means this week I can drive everywhere because, as the facts have shown, there were no crashes last week".

Please, please, please tell me you can see the absurd contradiction in what you're saying

Did you read the comment I replied to?

If we held the Euro games we were supposed to our reopening would most likely be pushed back.

That is absolute Bullsh1t and nothing more.

If you can't see that for yourself then I really can't help you.

Sure there were bigger BLM riots/protests this time last year that didn't impact infection rates...we know this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,902 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tony saying 'That's it back to level 5' looking at those scenes

Variants Variants Variants

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Get out of here with your reasoning. This is the place for kneejerk reactions and claiming everyone is fearmongering while being perpetually afraid that Tony H is under your bed threatening level 5 if you touch yourself at night.

1. Why do you doubt the story?
    2. why do you think she's enjoying her friends' being hospitalised, there's no indication anywhere that I can see where you surmised this from?
    3. which people are mentally ill?......the people aged 50+ going to hospital for a disease which is infamous for killing elderly people? I'd argue that NOT going to hospital indicates signs of decreased mental faulties

You're using the case number results of having no big events to justify having loads of big events......i.e..."

you

The reasoning for being fearful of a Christmas lockdown is because of the fear that what happened last January, following not being locked down, may happen again (I don’t subscribe to that theory but thats irrelevant here).

Surely you can understand that based on prior form from government/NPHET, and if variant cases become an issue in the media through autumn, it’s not nutty to imagine authorities re-initiating restrictions.

Also, your logic of ‘’Last week, I didn't drive the car anywhere and there were no crashes. That means this week I can drive everywhere because, as the facts have shown, there were no crashes last week", is flawed - most likely poster was referring to then fact that large amounts of people have gathered for the last few weeks, without the stringent restrictions required for the test event, with no resulting spikes in cases.

People have been ‘driving’ en masse for weeks, plus outcomes of test events abroad have been observed.

• Advertisement

The tournament will definately be cancelled by the time it gets near the final.

These scenes all over Europe are like Jones Road on All Ireland Final day. Shocking scenes.

The worst wave yet awaits the rest of Europe.

Arise Sir Tony, our saviour.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Tony saying 'That's it back to level 5' looking at those scenes

Variants Variants Variants

Seriously l. The obsession is scary at this stage

Also, your logic of ‘’Last week, I didn't drive the car anywhere and there were no crashes.

And we did drive the proverbial car more than 2 weeks ago, and for months before that, Tony declared his shock at the scenes, yet we are not seeing any result in terms of cases or hospitalisations.

You must be sick to your stomach watching the crowds in stadiums across Europe...it's only going to get worse...Wimbledon Final will be in front of a full house...

There was over 1,000 in the Crucible two months ago...last week we trialed 500 in a wide open field!!!

You can't take anyone serious who attempts to justify that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,902 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It's called banter

Swear sometimes people take these comments to serious

You must be sick to your stomach watching the crowds in stadiums across Europe...it's only going to get worse...Wimbledon Final will be in front of a full house...

There was over 1,000 in the Crucible two months ago...last week we trialed 500 in a wide open field!!!

You can't take anyone serious who attempts to justify that!

I don’t pass it a second thought. Just because I don’t buy into the bizarre thread narrative does not actually mean I don’t want or expect the relaxation of restrictions to continue at pace.

“Bald man bad…seasonal…false positive…we really think it’s just a flu bro”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It's called banter

Swear sometimes people take these comments to serious

Checked the dictionary, "unusual obsession with a man in his sixties" wasn't listed under banter.

What in Gods name are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Nobody's making calls based on certainty, just likelihood. A surge of cases is a strong possibility if we hold large stadium events at this stage.
    The safer option is to just not.

The point is that if we held these events, reopening would likely have to be pushed back.

Just like the UK have done.

What was to be gained by holding these events? Practically nothing.

What was to be lost? Quite a bit.

A rise in cases may have no or little material impact on hospital numbers.

You said sooner so I presumed you meant earlier rather than pushed back.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I don’t pass it a second thought. Just because I don’t buy into the bizarre thread narrative does not actually mean I don’t want or expect the relaxation of restrictions to continue at pace.

These pointless rants aren't helping any discussion.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    These pointless rants aren't helping any discussion.

There is a discussion? From what I can see it’s snide remarks, a Tony obsession and accusing a health professional of lying about an ill 52 year old and being mentally ill

I think the perspective of UEFA was put into plain sight Saturday evening
    There is a discussion? From what I can see it’s snide remarks, a Tony obsession and accusing a health professional of lying about an ill 52 year old and being mentally ill

Don't forget the snide remarks about a serious incident involving a footballer.

Don't forget the snide remarks about a serious incident involving a footballer.

May need to look up the definition of snide there.

Hint - it’s not calling out the hypocrisy and outright duplicity of renowned carpetbaggers UEFA

Hint - it’s not calling out the hypocrisy and outright duplicity of renowned carpetbaggers UEFA

As pointed out by someone else last night, it's not about uefa, it's just seeing these crowds across Europe shows how far ahead they are of us, the lack of games here is indicative on the widespread over cautious approach across every spectrum of society here. You can visually see with the crowds how far they are ahead.

No, you took a serious incident that could have happened on any sport field and attempted to use it as a stick to beat UEFA with...in a discussion about the size of the crowds we are all seeing on our tvs.

That is snide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Seville and Bilbao are in the same country.

Spain still pulled Bilbao, they had other options, we didn't

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

just seeing these crowds across Europe shows how far ahead they are of us
    You can visually see with the crowds how far they are ahead.

I'm not entirely convinced crowd density is a particularly sound measure of success during a pandemic.

After a pandemic definitely. Once we've reached herd immunity, probably. During, not so much.

Spain still pulled Bilbao, they had other options, we didn't

What about Denmark, Germany, Hungary, Italy, the Netherlands, Romania, Spain, Azerbaijan, England, Russia and Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

It was really nice to see a football match in a full stadium, finally a match that didn't have the feel of a warm up between two local school teams. Nice feel of normality about it.

I doubt many, if anyone at all is laughing at Ireland. Its a little backwater of no particular importance to anyone unless they have something to gain in the moment [brexit negotiations]. The belief that somehow our public health 'experts' are superior at managing anything vs the larger non tax haven EU countries is frankly laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Amazing to see a near full house in Hungary. A real testament to them as a country. It should be noted that they took the Russian vaccine when the EU said no. We were offered it in February but we're afraid to offend the EU.

That's what you call an alpha country. A real country that will last beyond out lifetimes.

No, you took a serious incident that could have happened on any sport field and attempted to use it as a stick to beat UEFA with...in a discussion about the size of the crowds we are all seeing on our tvs.

That is snide.

How many times do you intend to be wrong? It was the behaviour of uefa post the incident that was referenced. Which is redolent of the way they behave in general. Trying to strong arm people into decisions because it suits uefa, not because it’s the right thing for the persons

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

That's what you call an alpha country. A real country that will last beyond out lifetimes.

Well that wins bizarre post of the week hands down.

Out of interest, which countries are you expecting to outlive? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Amazing to see a near full house in Hungary. A real testament to them as a country. It should be noted that they took the Russian vaccine when the EU said no. We were offered it in February but we're afraid to offend the EU.

Ignoring that weird 'alpha country' talk - wouldn't we be screwed for travel at this point if we'd gone that route? Are (m)any western countries accepting it as an approved vaccine for travel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,138 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Checked the dictionary, "unusual obsession with a man in his sixties" wasn't listed under banter.

Tony is 52 or 53

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Graham wrote: »
    Well that wins bizarre post of the week hands down.

Out of interest, which countries are you expecting to outlive? :D

Northern Ireland?

• Advertisement

How many times do you intend to be wrong? It was the behaviour of uefa post the incident that was referenced. Which is redolent of the way they behave in general. Trying to strong arm people into decisions because it suits uefa, not because it’s the right thing for the persons

You didn't reference anything of the sort...I directly quoted you earlier.

You were being snide in using an incident that had nothing to do with what was being discussed at the time...you were rightly called out for it.

If you want to start a thread about how UEFA then do so I'd gladly agree with how rotten they are.

You didn't reference anything of the sort...I directly quoted you earlier.

You were being snide in using an incident that had nothing to do with what was being discussed at the time...you were rightly called out for it.

If you want to start a thread about how UEFA then do so I'd gladly agree with how rotten they are.

Yes you did quote me directly. And what on Saturday evening was attributable to uefa? The tactics they used to strongarm denmark into making a decision that suited uefa while their teammate was being rushed to hospital. That is the incident to which I referred. And it was relevant because to the thread because we decided as a country they we weren’t going to base our decisions on uefa ultimatums

Yes you did quote me directly. And what on Saturday evening was attributable to uefa? The tactics they used to strongarm denmark into making a decision that suited uefa while their teammate was being rushed to hospital. That is the incident to which I referred. And it was relevant because to the thread because we decided as a country they we weren’t going to base our decisions on uefa ultimatums

All of which has nothing to do with the crowds back in the stadiums which was the context of the discussion that you slipped that snide comment into....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,526 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sandymount to be partly pedestrianised for July and August

It is yeah. Hungary has approx 3 times our death rate despite using the Russian vaccine. A country which is now subject to an unlimited rule by decree and where people can be jailed for wrong think. A real alpha country alright.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement