Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭golfball37

Do we have any idea of the date the election will be held on?

Feb 26 seems to be the leading candidate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Okay , before this Thread gets derailed into an anti/pro SF debate , I`m going to ask one question and leave it at that . How long does it take for a Political Party to be allowed to move on from its militant past ? Nearly every Party in this State has a militant history . In the 1920s FF TD`s were walking around the Dail with revolvers in their coat pockets and Sean Lemass admitted they were "a slightly constitutional Party" ! It`s 20 years since the PIRA`s ceasefire and I reckon most people believe the Provo`s won`t be back . So can we carry on with a discussion about the Election in Tipp without introducing a Red Herring !

I think it's reasonable to be cognisant of a candidate's party when choosing a candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

danganabu wrote: »
    You seem to be in the know, can you tell me what murders Gerry Adams ordered or what murders exactly that Martin Ferris was an accessory to?
    !

believe what you like. It's not too long ago ferris was collecting his auld buddy pearse mc auley from jail after he murdered garda gerry mc cabe in adare.
    And we know what pearse did next........

It's naive in the extreme to think adams wasn't the OC of the IRA. Why hasn't he taken any libel cases against any of the media outlets who name him thus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Here is a site you may have a little fun with, be surprised with or be annoyed or pleased with.

http://www.smartvote.ie/

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

digzy wrote: »
    believe what you like. It's not too long ago ferris was collecting his auld buddy pearse mc auley from jail after he murdered garda gerry mc cabe in adare.
    And we know what pearse did next........

It's naive in the extreme to think adams wasn't the OC of the IRA. Why hasn't he taken any libel cases against any of the media outlets who name him thus?
    There is plenty of threads about SF for you to get these things of your chest,incidentally.who are you voting for?

• Advertisement

JOHN DELANEY, chief executive of the Football Association of Ireland (FAI), has been criticised for appearing on the hustings with Labour deputy leader Alan Kelly, and urging people to vote for him.

Delaney visited local football clubs and a barber shop with Kelly in his Tipperary constituency last Friday. One source said Delaney told people during the canvass to vote for the Labour TD.

“He was saying that Kelly is his man and wants him re-elected,” the source said. “It was all very upfront. They went to Clonmel, Newport AFC, and Nenagh, and people would have seen them together around Tipperary town.”

The source said Delaney also mentioned Kelly’s name at a recent function in Tipperary which was not related to football. “Kelly wasn’t at it, but Delaney said he hoped [Kelly] would be re-elected,” said the source, who was present at the event.

Mattie McGrath, is not one bit pleased.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

I see that Ireland's best known bookmaker has reduced Alan Kelly's odds from 4/9 to 1/4. Maybe the bookie is afraid that Michael Lowry will go and place 40k on Kelly and collect 10k. The odds on Siobhan Ambrose have really drifted out. She is now an absolute no hoper which goes to show that there is no longer a Fianna Fail organisation in Clonmel.

Ok..With all the pro Kelly posts,Should we call you Seamus?...

What's in a name ? This thread is not about name calling ! It is about substance! Call me what you wish ! If you are backing Healy, should we call you Seamus ?

Call me John Delaney if that makes you feel happy!

• Advertisement

I hope the only seat Kelly gets,will be from Larry O' Keeffe....

It now seems that he will also get a seat from John Delaney in the Aviva Stadium !

Xenophile wrote: »
    It now seems that he will also get a seat from John Delaney in the Aviva Stadium !

Ouch....A nerve was touched methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

I see that Ireland's best known bookmaker has reduced Alan Kelly's odds from 4/9 to 1/4. Maybe the bookie is afraid that Michael Lowry will go and place 40k on Kelly and collect 10k. The odds on Siobhan Ambrose have really drifted out. She is now an absolute no hoper which goes to show that there is no longer a Fianna Fail organisation in Clonmel.

Those odds are a bit all over the place. There's a story doing the rounds that Jackie Cahill sent a lad in to bet €200 on him so that his odds were slashed. Kelly could well have done the same. It's the polls rather than the bookies that you want to follow for guidance.

As to if there is a Fianna Fail seat it will probably come down to the last seat and come down to the geographic profile of who has been elected so far. For example if Kelly holds his seat that will hurt Cahill and Smith Jr. If Kelly loses his seat then the last seat will probably go up North and hurt Ambrose's chances. Same goes for which of Hayes and Coonan keep the FG seat. Whoever wins that battle will hurt the other candidates from their area north or south. Geography will have a BIG say in this election.

I hear Cahill was given some prime panel time at the FF Ard Fheis on with Ministers etc at the weekend so he may be the one their polls say is winning at least in the battle to be the top Northern FF candidate.

This morning on RTE they had Noel Whelan on and he gave Kelly little or no chance of being re-elected on his analysis of the current polls. But he had a near total wipeout for Labour (Howlin was the only minister to survive) so it was probably worst case scenario.

Ouch....A nerve was touched methinks

Yeah ................a nerve in my funny bone ! Lets try this one "Politics is like bloodsports like in coursing where the dogs are muzzled they can at least growl but they cannot bite! I wonder if they can bark?

touts wrote: »

I hear Cahill was given some prime panel time at the FF Ard Fheis on with Ministers etc at the weekend so he may be the one their polls say is winning at least in the battle to be the top Northern FF candidate.

This morning on RTE they had Noel Whelan on and he gave Kelly little or no chance of being re-elected on his analysis of the current polls. But he had a near total wipeout for Labour (Howlin was the only minister to survive) so it was probably worst case scenario.

Siobhan Ambrose's odds have drifted out to 25/1. I have no doubt that Fianna Fail will win a seat in the North of the County.

As regards Noel Whelan, he has jumped the gun as his book " The Tallyman's Guide to the 2016 Election" is probably with the printers.

I wonder what local knowledge he has ? Does he know that Kelly has got John Delaney and Seamus Martin on board. His prediction about Kelly seems to be based on the fact some of North Tipp has gone into Offaly.

As Whelan himself says he doesn't get it all right.

Siobhan Ambrose's odds have drifted out to 25/1. I have no doubt that Fianna Fail will win a seat in the North of the County.

As regards Noel Whelan, he has jumped the gun as his book " The Tallyman's Guide to the 2016 Election" is probably with the printers.

I wonder what local knowledge he has ? Does he know that Kelly has got John Delaney and Seamus Martin on board. His prediction about Kelly seems to be based on the fact some of North Tipp has gone into Offaly.

As Whelan himself says he doesn't get it all right.
    You seem to think John Delaneys endorsement of Alan Kelly is a positive?

tipptom wrote: »
    You seem to think John Delaneys endorsement of Alan Kelly is a positive?

No doubt it, if it was not you wouldn't get Mattie McGrath coming out so quickly to complain. Interesting way up in County Mayo, the Minister for Sport was complainging. The Minister For Agriculture, Simon Coveney stated that Delaney should be allowed to campaign for whoever he wishes.

All this Hoo Haa about Delaney only gives more oxygen to the Kelly campaign.

Ivan Yates this morning on the Tipperary Constituency !

Michael Lowry will be one of the top vote-getters in the country this election, and will certainly take a seat in Tipperary - according to Newstalk Breakfast presenter Ivan Yates.

Pundit Yates maintains that sitting TD Lowry, and Independent TD Michael Healy-Rae in the Kerry constituency, will be the two of the most popular candidates nationwide on polling day.

The forecast comes as part of Newstalk Breakfast presenter Ivan Yates' series of election predictions. In the weeks leading up to polling day, he is calling the outcome for each of the 40 constituencies.

Last time round Deputy Lowry won 14,000 votes, in a smaller three seat constituency; in 2016 he could get as many as 16,000 votes in the enhanced five-seat constituency he now stands in.

That is in spite of his well-publicised legal difficulties.

He will benefit from the inclusion of South Tipperary in the constituency - die-hard GAA supporters in that part of the country have never had a chance to vote for the ex-County Board Chairman. They credit him with organising funding for Semple Stadium.

Ivan Yates' other significant prediction for the region is that well-known Independent TD Mattie McGrath will lose his seat.

Tipperary constituency

Tipperary is a five-seat constituency, down from a six seater.

All six sitting TDs from the old constituency are running for the five available seats, making this an exciting race to watch.

They are Michael Lowry (Ind), Minister Alan Kelly (LAB), Noel Coonan (FG), Tom Hayes (FG), Seamus Healy (Ind) and Mattie McGrath (Ind).

In all, 14 candidates will be vying for election in this complex constituency.

Predicted outcome

Yates is calling the result as two Independents, one Fine Gael, one Fianna Fáil and one Labour.

Michael Lowry (Ind) will top the poll, taking the first seat.

Seamus Healy (Ind) will take a seat, though he will not necessarily be second past the post.

Fine Gael are certain of a seat, and it will most likely go to Tom Hayes (FG)

Fianna Fáil will also take a seat - but Yates is predicting it will go to Jackie Cahill, who is running on a farming platform, and not Michael Smith as party insiders are forecasting. However, Yates says this situation could change in coming weeks.

Finally, Minister Alan Kelly (LAB) will narrowly win the final seat, beating off Noel Coonan (FG) and Mattie McGrath (Ind). Again, Yates says this outlook could change.

You can listen to Ivan Yates' prediction on Newstalk.com's Tipperary constituency page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

No it doesn't. I don't care if they give Kelly full page ads from now until doomsday, I will never vote for him. Labour have reneged on just about every election promise they made - and to be perfectly honest, I don't think much of John Delaney either

No it doesn't. I don't care if they give Kelly full page ads from now until doomsday, I will never vote for him. Labour have reneged on just about every election promise they made - and to be perfectly honest, I don't think much of John Delaney either

With due respect, I think you confuse election manifestos with the programme for Government. Independents can huff and puff and promise the sun, the moon and the stars and know that they will never be accountable for anything. Of course they can organise protest marches and interfere with people going their daily business and play havoc with business's by causing them lost sales.

• Advertisement

No Way Would Nenagh Get These Jobs If Kelly Was Not Living In Nenagh !

Up to 300 jobs are coming to Nenagh in Co Tipperary.

Technology and solutions firm First Data plans to establish a Research and Development centre in the town.

The centre, which will be operational in early 2017, will centralise work on a number of the company's technology platforms.

The investment is supported by the Department of Jobs through IDA Ireland.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny said: "Having met with the CEO of First Data in May, I am delighted to warmly welcome this announcement of 300 new jobs, which is great news for Nenagh, County Tipperary and the Mid-West Region".

While Jobs Minister Richard Bruton, who met First Data in the United States on trade missions on a number of occasions, said: "Today's announcement that First Data, a world-leading technology company, is establishing a high-end facility in Nenagh, with the creation of 300 extra jobs, is a massive boost. I wish Tom and all the team every success".

Local TD and Environment Minister Alan Kelly told Newstalk Breakfast the jobs should be in place by the end of this year.

No doubt it, if it was not you wouldn't get Mattie McGrath coming out so quickly to complain. Interesting way up in County Mayo, the Minister for Sport was complainging. The Minister For Agriculture, Simon Coveney stated that Delaney should be allowed to campaign for whoever he wishes.

You still think it was a good idea for John Delaneys public endorsement of AK was still a good idea?

Whoever came up with that idea should be sacked from the campaign.

To get someone who is on €430,000 pa and viewed as an idiot by most people who embarrassingly drones on about how great he is to get himself a dolly bird on chat shows and views the FAI as some sort of a Delaney fiefdom despite massively expensive reports telling them to get rid of theses people of the board is a major idiotic mistake to make in any campaign.

The timing is spectacular as well considering Labour are just riding roughshod over their cronyism pledges before the last GE and this is something they cannot blame FG for because they are in coalition.

This is a death knell to Labour whom I thought may have hit 12 seats but now will have to be in low single digits.

Technology and solutions firm First Data plans to establish a Research and Development centre in the town.

The centre, which will be operational in early 2017, will centralise work on a number of the company's technology platforms.

The investment is supported by the Department of Jobs through IDA Ireland.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny said: "Having met with the CEO of First Data in May, I am delighted to warmly welcome this announcement of 300 new jobs, which is great news for Nenagh, County Tipperary and the Mid-West Region".

While Jobs Minister Richard Bruton, who met First Data in the United States on trade missions on a number of occasions, said: "Today's announcement that First Data, a world-leading technology company, is establishing a high-end facility in Nenagh, with the creation of 300 extra jobs, is a massive boost. I wish Tom and all the team every success".

Local TD and Environment Minister Alan Kelly told Newstalk Breakfast the jobs should be in place by the end of this year.
    I think that is what you meant to highlightbiggrin.png

I think that is what you meant to highlightbiggrin.png

The voters of Nenagh will have the last say on who gets the credit !

The voters of Nenagh will have the last say on who gets the credit !
    Your press release just pointed that out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Using your logic does this mean that there is no way that C&C in Borrisoleigh would have closed if it wasn't for AK47 ?

Vizzy wrote: »
    Using your logic does this mean that there is no way that C&C in Borrisoleigh would have closed if it wasn't for AK47 ?

Jobs were added in Clonmel while other C&C jobs were lost in England.

There are posters here who do not want to give Kelly credit for anything, obviously he has plenty of opponents.

Political intelligence would suggest how important it is to have a Senior Government represent your constituency at the cabinet table!

Your press release just pointed that out

Come on, let's have some press releases from the other candidates !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Jobs were added in Clonmel while other C&C jobs were lost in England.

There are posters here who do not want to give Kelly credit for anything, obviously he has plenty of opponents.

Political intelligence would suggest how important it is to have a Senior Government represent your constituency at the cabinet table!

Social conscience might suggest that other things should be taken into consideration .

• Advertisement

Come on, let's have some press releases from the other candidates !
    Ha Ha,your enthusiasm has to be admired but FG and Richard Bruton didn't even let your man have a sniff of any of that in their statement,gloves are off.

I see your former hero in the PDs Michael McDowell has forcast that AK has a big job on his hands holding the last seat in Tipp.

Advertisement