Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Xenophile wrote: »

So Mattie is knocking on the door for the fifth seat. My own opinion is that if he was standing for Sinn Fein he would be elected.

he'd have to agree with Sinn féin policy (or at least accept the whip), and be selected by the local organisation for that to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

This is what Dillon put up on his Election Facebook Page " 100/1 in the bookies people money to be made there " :D:D:D .

What's ''people money'' :D can it be used everywhere or only in Portroe??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

he'd have to agree with Sinn féin policy (or at least accept the whip), and be selected by the local organisation for that to happen

I think the only problem he would have would be the abortion issue, but I would say Sinn Fein will have a free vote on this.

Now that Mattie is looking at the possibility of being out of work, his independence may not be as important as it was!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

I think the only problem he would have would be the abortion issue, but I would say Sinn Fein will have a free vote on this.

Now that Mattie is looking at the possibility of being out of work, his independence may not be as important as it was!

He was also against Gay Marriage , reckon there would be other issues that wouldn`t see him suited to SF .

Has the bould Mattie thought up a new way of canvassing? Pay someone to drive his van around the County or leave it parked up in a different town every day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

Michael Lowry (Ind) 1/50
    Tom Hayes (Fine Gael) 1/7
    Seamus Healy (WUAG) 1/3
    Alan Kelly (Labour) 4/9
    Michael Smith (Fianna Fail) 4/7
    Mattie McGrath (Ind) 8/13
    Noel Coonan (Fine Gael) 13/8
    Jackie Cahill (Fianna Fail) 13/8
    Seamus Morris (Sinn Fein) 5/2
    Siobhan Ambrose (Fianna Fail) 9/1
    Marie Murphy (Fine Gael) 18/1
    Gearoid Fitzgibbon (Green Party) 80/1
    Caroline Hofman (Ind) 100/1
    Michael Dillon (Ind) 100/1

5 seats and 6 candidates are odds on to win a seat. 2 more are less than 2/1 to win a seat. That shows how unclear the result is. But even then the odds are awful. 1/50 on Lowry. OK he'll probably win but for a man who is in court at the moment on fraud charges anything might emerge so 1/50 is very poor. 2/5 on Smith Jr. I wouldnt fancy him at 5/2.

The volume on this will be so small anyway that a few bets could skew it. Its like betting on football managers. Someone bets £50 on Martin O'Neill being the next manager of Man U and the next day the headline is "O'Neill's odds slashed in race to replace VanGaal". Likewise send in a couple of party loyalists into Paddy Power to bet €20 on you to win and your odds would be slashed. I'd say most of the money Paddy Power take in on this will be from the candidates themselves trying to manipulate the odds and make themselves appear in the running. I'd say Lowry, Hayes and Smith Jr may have been at it already.

touts wrote: »
    But even then the odds are awful. 1/50 on Lowry. OK he'll probably win but for a man who is in court at the moment on fraud charges anything might emerge so 1/50 is very poor.

Lowry has been a TD since 1987 and has topped the poll in every election he has stood in as an Independent, it would be a brave man (or a stupid one) to lay him any bigger than 1/50, its a 5 seat constituency, there is no possible scenario that Lowry doesn't win a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

danganabu wrote: »
    Lowry has been a TD since 1987 and has topped the poll in every election he has stood in as an Independent, it would be a brave man (or a stupid one) to lay him any bigger than 1/50, its a 5 seat constituency, there is no possible scenario that Lowry doesn't win a seat.
    You are probably right but do you not think that if this present case went against him that it would have an affect on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

Far from a Lowry Supporter but he will 100% win seat and top poll.
    Likewise Smith topped local election poll by quite a bit cant see him not wining a seat
    I would doubt very much if these odds have been manipulated at all as they are first out and would think based on opinion polls done by paddy power.

tipptom wrote: »
    [/B] You are probably right but do you not think that if this present case went against him that it would have an affect on him?

To be honest the more sh*t they throw at him the better he comes out of it, I don't think that any of Lowry's voters are under any illusions to his business affairs, the man delivers for his constituency and that's all they care about.

• Advertisement

To be honest the more sh*t they throw at him the better he comes out of it, I don't think that any of Lowry's voters are under any illusions to his business affairs, the man delivers for his constituency and that's all they care about.
    That sounds like you think that this is all a big conspiracy against ML?

tipptom wrote: »
    That sounds like you think that this is all a big conspiracy against ML?

Not at all, but I do find it funny that not unlike Sinn Fein all these stories, cases, trials, arrests etc. always seem to happen around election time.

Not at all, but I do find it funny that not unlike Sinn Fein all these stories, cases, trials, arrests etc. always seem to happen around election time.

Find it funny?

Next thing the conspiracy theorists will be saying is " That the Irish Government arranged with the Americans to have David Drumm held in gaol until after the election".

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Find it funny?

I'm not sure where the confusion comes from?? Yes I find it amusing that the timing of all these stories seems to magically coincide with a General Election, but the funnier element being that it almost always has the exact opposite effect to the desired affect. The presidential election in 2011 seems to be the only time it actually worked, which again is funny in that the President of Ireland has about as much say or power as the janitor in Leinster House.

funny in that the President of Ireland has about as much say or power as the janitor in Leinster House.

That's a constitutional issue, as far as I know Sinn Fein have no plans to change that! Correct me if I am wrong about this!

Michael Lowry (Ind) 1/50

I suppose Michael has enough money to go and place 500k on himself and take 10k tax free profit after a couple of months. It would go some way to paying his election expenses. No bank could compete with this rate of interest.

That's a constitutional issue, as far as I know Sinn Fein have no plans to change that! Correct me if I am wrong about this!

Agree on both points but not sure what the relevance is, I'm merely suggesting that a lot of the accusations and scandals surrounding Sinn Fein seem to surface around election time, there are numerous examples.

But it has never had the desired affect, in fact quite the opposite, the one example I quoted aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭golfball37

This is what Dillon put up on his Election Facebook Page " 100/1 in the bookies people money to be made there " :D:D:D .

yes, for the bookies

golfball37 wrote: »
    yes, for the bookies

I think anyone that actually even attempts to place money on him should automatically by default have their right to vote revoked, permanently!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

I think anyone that actually even attempts to place money on him should automatically by default have their right to vote revoked, permanently!
    wont be voting for him and I feel this statement of yours should include Sinn Fein

• Advertisement

jem wrote: »
    wont be voting for him and I feel this statement of yours should include Sinn Fein

Cen fáth?

They are a legitimate party with actual policies and protocols, you may not agree with them, and there is certainly a lot of them I don't agree with myself, but to be comparing them to this lad is way off the mark, the chap wouldn't even know how to spell TD never mind perform as one.

Won`t be voting for either but to compare the 2 is ludicrous :rolleyes: !

Seeing as your telling people who to not vote for who do you suggest under this new system of yours will we have to vote for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

At least that eejit hasn't murdered anyone.

How people vote for sinn fein with all the blood on their hands or those other jack asses whose sole policy is 'i wont pay for my water so let someone else pay for mine along with their own'

digzy wrote: »

How people vote for sinn fein with all the blood on their hands or those other jack asses whose sole policy is 'i wont pay for my water so let someone else pay for mine along with their own'

What Sinn Fein candidate has been convicted of murder?

I agree about those water charges clowns!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

What Sinn Fein candidate has been convicted of murder?

I agree about those water charges clowns!

just cos adams didn't pull the trigger don't be fooling yourself that he wasn't the boss of 'murder inc', who killed more irish people than brits!
    martin ferris is at best an accessory to murder. the guns he was running weren't to shoot pidgeons;)

just cos adams didn't pull the trigger don't be fooling yourself that he wasn't the boss of 'murder inc', who killed more irish people than brits!
    martin ferris is at best an accessory to murder. the guns he was running weren't to shoot pidgeons;)

You seem to be in the know, can you tell me what murders Gerry Adams ordered or what murders exactly that Martin Ferris was an accessory to?

I'm starting to look like a Sinn Fein apologist here, and for the record I'm nothing of the sort!!

Okay , before this Thread gets derailed into an anti/pro SF debate , I`m going to ask one question and leave it at that . How long does it take for a Political Party to be allowed to move on from its militant past ? Nearly every Party in this State has a militant history . In the 1920s FF TD`s were walking around the Dail with revolvers in their coat pockets and Sean Lemass admitted they were "a slightly constitutional Party" ! It`s 20 years since the PIRA`s ceasefire and I reckon most people believe the Provo`s won`t be back . So can we carry on with a discussion about the Election in Tipp without introducing a Red Herring !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Do we have any idea of the date the election will be held on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Do we have any idea of the date the election will be held on?
    It must take place no later than 8 April.
    Easter is March 27th so government will want to be in place for that and everything that surrounds Easter this year...
    It most likely will be sometime next month

Advertisement