Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Share Picks 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Its a discussion board

Only trying to be constructive as don't like these one line posts recommending a stock without any backup or reasoning.

Another 4% knocked of the three main us equities, can powell save us now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Wow wow wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

If the s+p can hold above 3000 it may bounce but if it breaks below it will test much lower levels ; can Powell cut rates and retain any credibility in such a scenario .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Not the capitulation I was hoping for but China does seem to be coming out of this and they are the world's workhorse. starting to add back some positions.

Now may be the capitulation I'm looking for. Lets see what tomorrow brings...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

WY105dd.png
    https://imgur.com/WY105dd

Incredible stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Incredible stuff but so hard to know what to do when incredible drops only bring you back to the start of the month...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Thargor wrote: »
    Incredible stuff but so hard to know what to do when incredible drops only bring you back to the start of the month...

Meh, all gains since Jan wiped out in a week, was up 23% before this :(

$294.95 SPY.

Still not ready to jump, might not get in until the virus is fully contained / out of the media.

$294.95 SPY.

Still not ready to jump, might not get in until the virus is fully contained / out of the media.

Markets will have long recovered at that stage.

Markets will have long recovered at that stage.

Not looking to catch the bottom, just don't fancy a falling knife either.

• Advertisement

Not looking to catch the bottom, just don't fancy a falling knife either.

Absolutely. Every has to find their own edge. Whatever is profitable over the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BigVanVador

Only trying to be constructive as don't like these one line posts recommending a stock without any backup or reasoning.

I didn't recommend anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Pushing on a string at this stage. They could do a massive fiscal stimulus and blow the deficit out to 3 trillion plus...QE for the people!! Helicopter money! What could go wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

If the s+p can hold above 3000 it may bounce but if it breaks below it will test much lower levels ; can Powell cut rates and retain any credibility in such a scenario .

It closed below 3000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

i think this could continue for weeks, no reason whatsoever for it to reverse right now

Rate cuts to follow with more QE to give a little rest bite

It’s been on the cards for a while

Stock market got too heavy and the corona virus was the catalyst to tip it, not the reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭crushproof

Dang, FTSE100 down 3.3% at opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Might be dangerous to hold shorts over the weekend...
    I don't think this is the big one, thats coming end of year when we take out previous high by about 100 bucks. i'm buying this dip (just not yet :pac: need to see us trading above vwap then i'm all in)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

hottipper wrote: »
    Might be dangerous to hold shorts over the weekend...
    I don't think this is the big one, thats coming end of year when we take out previous high by about 100 bucks. i'm buying this dip (just not yet :pac: need to see us trading above vwap then i'm all in)

And what stocks are in your radar when you decide to jump back in?

I'm seeing a lot of love in Reddit for cruise liner stocks, Ryanair, and obviously SP etf currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

• Advertisement

SPY $288 pre market, now starting to look ok value.

Unless the fed steps in today there could be a halt. Can't see people buying heading into this weekend.

Think I may add a bit to my holdings and jump into Norwegian cruise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

Unless the fed steps in today there could be a halt. Can't see people buying heading into this weekend.

Absolutely not, most comments I'm reading indicates that people expect further corrections over the weekend. With the Corona virus popping up in America now, I would guess the market to fall more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What's the impact on Fitbit price, who have a purchase price agreed with Alphabet with this? Would the purchase price stay the same or would they renegotiate now that markets are falling?

It's the only "stable" stock in my Portfolio, currently at $6.20 with a purchase price at $7.35

(I realise there's bit quesrions over whether it will be allowed go ahead and share pricewould obviously crash if that happened)

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What's the impact on Fitbit price, who have a purchase price agreed with Alphabet with this? Would the purchase price stay the same or would they renegotiate now that markets are falling?

It's the only "stable" stock in my Portfolio, currently at $6.20 with a purchase price at $7.35

(I realise there's bit quesrions over whether it will be allowed go ahead and share pricewould obviously crash if that happened)

Has the agreement been signed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Heiser

How does one buy the S&P500 now that ETFs can't be bought on degiro?

Sold out my position in Nvidia after earnings last week so have some spare cash and I'm going to jump back in next week when things settle, most likely MasterCard, Visa and the S&P if I can

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Heiser wrote: »

Sold out my position in Nvidia after earnings last week so have some spare cash and I'm going to jump back in next week when things settle, most likely MasterCard, Visa and the S&P if I can

ETFs can still be bought on DeGiro. You just can't buy US based ETFs, EU based ones are still available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Heiser wrote: »

ETFs can be bought on Degiro. Just not ones set up in the US.
    As an example, here are a listing of ETFs you can buy with no Degiro fees.

https://www.degiro.ie/data/pdf/ie/commission-free-etfs-list.pdf
    There's an IShares S&P ETF and a Vanguard S&P ETF listed in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

According to my wife who works in a large Tesco, people are panic buying dried and tinned goods as well as anti bac cleaners and alcohol wipes and gels.
    They are very busy and much of the stock in sold out already today..

This is only starting. I rekon buying nothing in the stock market till the virus is contained is the best option now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Good news for all you VSTM lovers out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

it's tempting to try and catch knives but better off waiting

If anything, it's entertaining to watch.

If anything, it's entertaining to watch.

Not sure in the entertainment front. It will present some great opportunities though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Thanks up 70% on this one.

Up over 200% at one stage today. Hopefully they do have the vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Bob Harris wrote: »

Ha ha... Yeah, up 19%

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Had a mighty run at it since starting off last August, was up over 52% about a week ago. Liquidating now while I'm still up 28% and gonna observe until things start settling down.

Unfortunately can't cash out my work shares (Aviva), they've tumbled 16% in 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bob Harris wrote: »

Did they announce a coronavirus vaccine or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Shedite27 wrote: »

Unfortunately can't cash out my work shares (Aviva), they've tumbled 16% in 2 weeks

Same boat as you (BSX), locked in till April, despite the 15% discount I'm now in the red :rolleyes::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭antimatterx

timetogo1 wrote: »
    ETFs can be bought on Degiro. Just not ones set up in the US.
    As an example, here are a listing of ETFs you can buy with no Degiro fees.

https://www.degiro.ie/data/pdf/ie/commission-free-etfs-list.pdf
    There's an IShares S&P ETF and a Vanguard S&P ETF listed in there.

Why can't we buy US etfs? They're the ones taxed more favorably. None of that deemed disposable ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Why can't we buy US etfs? They're the ones taxed more favorably. None of that deemed disposable ****e

They don't have a KiiD, and don't want to do one up so can't be sold here (afaik)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I cashed them all out last week, pity I can't buy back in.

just added to BABA & JD holdings

Unbelievable pump in the s&p for 15 minutes before close.

Has Covid19 just been cured ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Half my watchlist is now green, where it was 90% red all day. I'm basically back to even on my tiny portfolio. Next week should be crazy...

Could be just shorts closing out at the end of the week. I took a chance that this would happen and opened a few positions today. They are in the green now and sl is moved to break even. Just hope we don’t get a gap!

Cruise ships are definitely one to look at. I prefer the r/r on norwegian.

Nice bounce in both today

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

Could be just shorts closing out at the end of the week. I took a chance that this would happen and opened a few positions today. They are in the green now and sl is moved to break even. Just hope we don’t get a gap!
    yes i think mainly short covering before weekend, also a buying program at that level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Kamu wrote: »
    And what stocks are in your radar when you decide to jump back in?

I'm seeing a lot of love in Reddit for cruise liner stocks, Ryanair, and obviously SP etf currently.

EasyJet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭riddles

What are some longer standing reputable ETF’s you would recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

What a week, I reckon we will get a bounce and euphoria on the markets for a few days from Monday before some further COVID19 news hits in the US and panic resumes.
    I bought some STOR and BA on Friday as well as some BAM, kind of regretting not going all in after watching the Friday close, half hoping for another dump at some stage next week.
    Anyone else care to have a stab at what next week is going to bring?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement