Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Spare a thought for the poor souls (like me) who just started investing at the start of January. I invested mostly in large slow growing companies that would be "unlikely", only under exceptional circumstances to drop any more than 2-3% and would make headlines if they did.

Corona Virus: "Hold my beer"

Was at +8% after the first 3 weeks. Dropped to +4% this time last week and then down to -3% yesterday. Got out completely today at -2.4% after a slight recovery. I was going to weather the storm but the swiftness of the drop spooked me out as well as thinking of the fallout when it hits the US.

Similar here only just got going mid Jan. HODLing hard here though, I'm still in the positive due to my pure beginners luck win with Tesla so it takes the sting off seeing nothing but red, however in any case it would probably annoy me more to sell out at a loss now and spent the next month or so trying desperately to pick my reentry points so I'll let it all come through the wash. Still all alot more interesting than letting the cash sitting in the bank earning me absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I'd wait - widespread cancellations and a mostly likely imminent announcement of cases in the US mean there could be another 5-10% drop at any moment.

That moment has arrived.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/26/investing/premarkets-dow-sinks/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

weemcd wrote: »
    Just throwing this out here lads. But for the video game industry, Sony are due to release a new Playstation this year, and Microsoft a new Xbox. I could see one or both being postponed.

Same goes for some AAA games titles like Cyberpunk and Final Fantasy VII. If/when I'd expect dips in the console manufacturers and related companies I.e chip manufacturers, video game publishers etc etc

Companies affected from what I mentioned:
    Sony
    Microsoft
    AMD
    CD Projekt Red
    Square Enix
    If Coronavirus has us all sitting at home, unable to go out, with all sport cancelled, I'd imagine PlayStation sales would hit record highs. I'd certainly be getting something to keep me entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Shedite27 wrote: »
    If Coronavirus has us all sitting at home, unable to go out, with all sport cancelled, I'd imagine PlayStation sales would hit record highs. I'd certainly be getting something to keep me entertained.

Will the factories that produce these items be in operation though? Or the companies that ship them? I'm very new to this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Shedite27 wrote: »

Will the factories that produce these items be in operation though? Or the companies that ship them? I'm very new to this game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

105 days of gains erased for the S&P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

bcklschaps wrote: »

Not the capitulation I was hoping for but China does seem to be coming out of this and they are the world's workhorse. starting to add back some positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭roosterman71

What ETFs in degiro would be good to take a closer look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

What ETFs in degiro would be good to take a closer look at?

Maybe take a look at iShares Global Clean Energy UCITS ETF, I think this will do very well in 2020

And what are people trading under for the stock market indicies like S&P or ISEQ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I cashed out all my positions today.

I was considering it last Friday but then second-guessed myself. I went from an overall gain of +10% to +6% in the past few days and things weren't slowing. Bit annoying but I'm sure there's others who saw bigger red numbers than me.

I'm not sure how much longer this decline will continue, but I'd rather not wait and see what rock bottom looks like. I needed to cash out anyways since this money is going to be spent on a property soon (I hope!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

TVIX up 100% in 2 weeks. I may focus more on volatility in the future !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Umaro wrote: »
    I cashed out all my positions today.

I was considering it last Friday but then second-guessed myself. I went from an overall gain of +10% to +6% in the past few days and things weren't slowing. Bit annoying but I'm sure there's others who saw bigger red numbers than me.

I'm not sure how much longer this decline will continue, but I'd rather not wait and see what rock bottom looks like. I needed to cash out anyways since this money is going to be spent on a property soon (I hope!)

If you're looking to spend it soon then cashing out was the right thing to do, even if it recovers soon. Shares are a long term investment (or should be at least). You don't want your potential house purchase affected by how your shares are doing.

And what are people trading under for the stock market indicies like S&P or ISEQ?

My positions are mainly in nasdaq, dow and LSE.

Baba, jd, best, ilika, tesla, boku

My positions are mainly in nasdaq, dow and LSE.

Baba, jd, best, ilika, tesla, boku

I was more talking about the stock market as a whole and not individual components within it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

weemcd wrote: »
    Just throwing this out here lads. But for the video game industry, Sony are due to release a new Playstation this year, and Microsoft a new Xbox. I could see one or both being postponed.

Same goes for some AAA games titles like Cyberpunk and Final Fantasy VII. If/when I'd expect dips in the console manufacturers and related companies I.e chip manufacturers, video game publishers etc etc

Companies affected from what I mentioned:
    Sony
    Microsoft
    AMD
    CD Projekt Red
    Square Enix

Cyberpunk was already delayed from April to September, plus I would imagine most of game sales are done online now

I was more talking about the stock market as a whole and not individual components within it

I don't understand your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Im looking at Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd NYSE: RCL

Taking a serious hammering from the virus.

Looks like it has a bit to go down yet as well.

Could be a bargain.

Im looking at Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd NYSE: RCL

Taking a serious hammering from the virus.

Looks like it has a bit to go down yet as well.

Could be a bargain.

Cruise ships are definitely one to look at. I prefer the r/r on norwegian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

The markets can be shorted , if the type of Armageddon scenarios predicted in other threads happen then remember the s+p fell to 700 in the last crash .

• Advertisement

The markets can be shorted , if the type of Armageddon scenarios predicted in other threads happen then remember the s+p fell to 700 in the last crash .

I don’t see what scenario there is at present that could bring that about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I don’t see what scenario there is at present that could bring that about

https://twitter.com/PeterSchiff?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

This guy has some insight , now he may be a gold buff but his ideas on US debt , buybacks etc are interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Delta looks a nice discounted buy rn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

it's going to be as red as fook today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

At this stage I'm just a bemused spectator, used up all my dry powder to early , really didn't think it would get this bad.
    Worst thing is, I know think once the virus hits the US properly its going to be utter carnage, do i take my losses and sit on the sidelines or ride it out? I'm only holding long positions at the moment of which most are under water now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

canonball5 wrote: »
    AIM Immunotech (AIM), they had their CEO on Fox news a couple of days ago as they have applied for two patents covering the use of Ampligen to treat and prevent the Coronavirus.

Thanks up 70% on this one.

Bought some ryanair today. lets see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

It's going to take a very good year to get back to where I was last week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Wombatman wrote: »
    It's going to take a very good year to get back to where I was last week :(

Goodyear.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Bob Harris wrote: »