Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think Irish should be a compulsory school subject?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I don't think someone is less Irish for not wanting to pursue the language, but I would certainly be alarmed by someone who states that they "hate" a language. I doubt anyone really hates a language. They might dislike that despite studying it for years, they still can't use it - or dislike studying it because they consider it impractical.

Why do you hate Irish GreyFox? I'm genuinely curious.

Just a tidbit - on the Irish being practical issue - It's a practical aspect of my daily life, and everyone else I know who chose to learn it. It's becomes non-practical if you don't understand the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

dlofnep wrote: »
    Why do you hate Irish GreyFox? I'm genuinely curious.

I generally hate things that have been forced on me and I hate Irish because it was always my worst subject in school and I don't believe even one of the thousands of hours spent studying it were of any use to me which I really resent! At least some of all the other subjects were of some value to me.

Yes I accept that it's practical for a number of people but the way I see it is if someone who spoke fluent Irish stopped people on a busy Dublin street the vast majority of people wouldn't have a clue what the person was talking about because for most of the country their is no practical use for the language.

For those people that say Irish should remain compulsory what your accepting is the fact that your happy to force some people into hating our native language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Science and geography was useless to me, but I still stuck it out because it was apart of the curriculum. I'm not here to win you over, you've made up your mind and I respect that.

Regards to the language being a mandatory aspect of our curriculum - if it was not, it would be gone at a much quicker rate. Wales also has Welsh as a mandatory subject in school, but yet - they persevere and the language has seen an increase in usage, much the same as Irish has.

Would you be less irritated with the language if the curriculum was revised, so that you would at this point be able to speak it? Or would it not matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

All primary schools should be Irish medium. My two cents.

Then both Irish Lit. and English Lit. could be optional in post-primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

obl wrote: »
    All primary schools should be Irish medium. My two cents.

Then both Irish Lit. and English Lit. could be optional in post-primary.

Je d'accord! I think that means I agree in French. I wasted (?) 5 years learning French in Secondary School. Ive got no use of it since.

All Irish medium primary schools is a great solution to this problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AlexderFranke

Hello,

I am German and have learnt Irish because it is an old and beautiful language which had generated rich literature and oral tradition. I have been to Ireland two times and also used my Irish.
    I think Irish should be cumpolsory in primary school. Every child should get in touch with the Irish language in Ireland in order to be able to develope good knowledge. The earlier you begin, the better.
    But on the other hand it is no use forcing pupils to study Irish for 13 years if they have no interest in it. Those you have no interest in Irish will hate it and will forget most of it after leaving school. It is unbelievable for me that many Irish people reacted as if I spoke Chinese when I talked to them in Irish although they had learnt Irish at school! However I have also met a few people in Galway and Ennis who spoke Irish like native speakers.
    Unfortunately Irish is not that important that everybody will see the use in everyday and professional life. Only those with interest will develope good command because they take part in Irish-speaking cultural activities and networks. But it has to be made sure that every secondary pupil who wants to can take Irish lessons or change to a Gaelscoil. In France there exists the opposite: Some pupils who want to take lessons in a regional language do not have the chance because their school does not offer it.
    However in Gaeltacht areas Irish-medium schools should remain the only type of schools in order to keep the knowledge of Irish above the average of Ireland there.

Alex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Prolatarian

In my opinion there needs to be a big change as the way the laungauage is thought now a) dosent give moast people the ability to hold a basic conversation
    and b) turns alot of people against the laungauage its self

i beleive that the best way forward is to have an irish class that is compulsory but focuses on the basics an is more based around conversational and listening irish than the written aspect,and to have an optional irish class based around the writter aspect and the potery etc that is seperate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

This is not a dictatorship we live in. It seems pretty simple to me. If you want to be able to learn it then you should be able to. If not then fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Yes, but with some alterations to how its thought from baby infants upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Redbhoy wrote: »
    Je d'accord!

Je suis d'accord, but whatever :pac:

Anyway Personally I think Irish should remain a complusory subject in schools. The problem that many people have is language acquistion. This in effect creates everybody's 'hatred' of the language. In English medium schools this is not emphasised greatly, as teachers may not be confident in speaking or bothered to use spoken Irish in class and to promote it in the classes. At the same time many teachers may have a good knowledge in the language, but do not have the best methods in teaching language to different types of people. i.e. people who learn in different ways. The Examinations Commission expects students of Irish to write essays and understand and answer questions on poetry, etc that many are not interested in. An important reason for this is that students are not taught the language necessary to undertake the study of Irish poetry, prose, etc.

IMO The best way to deal with this and to create confident and fluent Irish speakers is to create more all Irish language schools and promote Irish schooling. English medium schools need a suitable programme to promote language learning to native English speakers. The examination structure is vital. It probably would be better to create 2 separate exams. One which focuses on language, which is complusory. Another could be on literature, which is optional. Basic language skills need to be acquired before literature can continue the learning process, and furthermore be appreciated.

That's my 2 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 bpkirby

irish should be removed as a compulsory subject. It holds kids back in school. Useful foreign languages should be taught from primary level

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

bpkirby wrote: »
    irish should be removed as a compulsory subject. It holds kids back in school. Useful foreign languages should be taught from primary level

What is a useful foreign language? Maybe we should take all art and philosophy, history etc out of the curriculum and ask Google, Apple and the likes what they want us to learn so we can become good compliant worker drones?
    Life isnt all about money and work. Broaden your horizons!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

bpkirby wrote: »

You're wrong there. Also, this thread is ancient. Please don't bump old threads just to wind people up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement