Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Now I know how my girlfriend feels.

Yeah, but McGregor only finished once! in 13 seconds ;)

I still think it's a makey-uppy sport though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭TeoReid

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    I still think it's a makey-uppy sport though :)

every sport is made up

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pile of crap that "fight" in fairness.

One lucky punch is all that was.

awec wrote: »
    Pile of crap that "fight" in fairness.

One lucky punch is all that was.

Don't think luck had a whole lot to do with it really. Aldo left himself open but McGregor knew exactly what he was doing.

Don't think luck had a whole lot to do with it really. Aldo left himself open but McGregor knew exactly what he was doing.

It was a well thought out strategy, he took his time during the fight studied his opponent, learned his weaknesses and strengths, saw he was tiring during the fight and lined up a brilliant punch...... Or Aldo was so hyped up, he rushed out and made a school boy error

Did he know what he was doing? Aldo caught him a cracker as he was falling over himself, hard to argue that was intentional.

Definitely fortune involved that the first time he touched the guy he knocked him out.

Unless every single other person Aldo has fought has been a bum. I dunno to be honest, don't watch the sport but seems a bit rubbish that the supposed best in a division can end up being so hopeless.

Wonder if the UFC will try cash in on a rematch with the hope of an actual fight taking place.

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    It was a well thought out strategy, he took his time during the fight studied his opponent, learned his weaknesses and strengths, saw he was tiring during the fight and lined up a brilliant punch...... Or Aldo was so hyped up, he rushed out and made a school boy error

Yeah I saw what Aldo did. I said in my post Aldo left himself open. There was nothing lucky about the left though, McGregor is brilliant at it.

Did he know what he was doing? Aldo caught him a cracker as he was falling over himself, hard to argue that was intentional.

Definitely fortune involved that the first time he touched the guy he knocked him out.

Unless every single other person Aldo has fought has been a bum. I dunno to be honest, don't watch the sport but seems a bit rubbish that the supposed best in a division can end up being so hopeless.

Wonder if the UFC will try cash in on a rematch with the hope of an actual fight taking place.

Jaysus. McGregor goads him into opening his body, nails him the chin, effectively knocking him out while taking a punch himself and stays on his feet; and its fortunate?!

Jaysus. McGregor goads him into opening his body, nails him the chin, effectively knocking him out while taking a punch himself and stays on his feet; and its fortunate?!

15 of his 18 wins through knockouts.

Aldo the number 1 ranked fighter in the entire UFC and hadn't lost a fight in 10 years.

Calling it luck is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Was it the punch in the chin or the box in the head when Aldo was down that knocked him out though? Either way can you imagine flying all the way over to Vegas for that!? What a load of s***e.

Aldo the number 1 ranked fighter in the entire UFC and hadn't lost a fight in 10 years.

I'm guessing standards must be very low then if that guy hasn't lost in 10 years.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Was it the punch in the chin or the box in the head when Aldo was down that knocked him out though? Either way can you imagine flying all the way over to Vegas for that!? What a load of s***e.

Aldo is on the ground and not defending himself. He's effectively knocked out. He isn't 100% lucid before those hammer fists come in.

Yeah what a **** fight though. I managed avoid all the spoilers and downloaded it this morning. I was suspicious when there was only 2 minutes left in the video and the fight was just starting.

molloyjh wrote: »

The punch on the chin that made him fall over. Was too disorientated to defend himself on the floor so ref stopped it.

I'm guessing standards must be very low then if that guy hasn't lost in 10 years.

What do you even say to this. Standards are low compared to who/what?

15 of his 18 wins through knockouts.

Calling it luck is crazy.

McGregor has decent boxing skills, any half decent boxer will take a great grappler,
    Aldo must have never been hit flush on the chin before because he went down quicker than a 2 dollar hooker

What do you even say to this. Standards are low compared to who/what?

That the best in a division goes down so easily and so quickly would suggest that the rest of the division mustn't be much use.

That guy really hasn't lost in 10 years? Has he ever been hit?

That the best in a division goes down so easily and so quickly would suggest that the rest of the division mustn't be much use.

That guy really hasn't lost in 10 years? Has he ever been hit?

From your posts it appears you've never seen him fight before.

You're dead right, totally useless. I'll leave it there.

From your posts it appears you've never seen him fight before.

You're dead right, totally useless. I'll leave it there.

I haven't seen him fight, I've said that a few times.

Still haven't seen him fight after watching the replay of last night's "fight" too. :pac:

Hard to stand and argue about a guys ability if he can't even last one punch or 15 seconds. Unless he was very unfortunate with the punch in question, but people are saying there was no fortune involved at all. The only other conclusion is that he's not really that great.

• Advertisement

The Rousey bubble burst quickly enough too. All kinds of claims made about her, that she was a great already, she wanted to fight and beat Mayweather :rolleyes:
    Takes on a woman who has good boxing skills and she gets dropped like a bag of coal.
    Someone teach Katie Taylor to throw out a few kicks and she'd be a ufc champ in no time

I haven't seen him fight, I've said that a few times.

Still haven't seen him fight after watching the replay of last night's "fight" too. :pac:

Hard to stand and argue about a guys ability if he can't even last one punch or 15 seconds. Unless he was very unfortunate with the punch in question, but people are saying there was no fortune involved at all. The only other conclusion is that he's not really that great.

I'd say it's much harder to argue about his ability when you've watched 13 seconds of him in action but sure.

I'd say it's much harder to argue about his ability when you've watched 13 seconds of him in action but sure.

So what do you think that was last night then? You can't have your cake and eat it.

Either he was unlucky to be knocked out first punch or he is pretty poor. It's a bit of a stretch to say McGregor is just so amazing because he managed to hit a guy once. I am sure privately he can hardly believe that he KO'd him so easily.

A one hit /15 second KO isn't common, right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Considering McGregor's knock out history you can actually say he's pretty amazing.

15 knock outs or TKO's in his 17 wins, only went to a decision once and that was when he got a very bad knee injury half way through the fight, and the other win was a submission.

He's only ever went to the third round once, that was the fight where he got that bad knee injury, and the second round 5 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Calling that luck was covered fairly comprehensively in the actual fight thread over in MMA. What's the difference between knocking someone cold out after 25 minutes and 13 seconds? Arguably it's harder to do it in 13 seconds. Aldo obviously had an ego and came out showing his chin despite everyone in the divisions saying McGregor has a monster left and he found that out straight away. Luck had nothing to do with it though, he's now the 6th ever UFC fighter to win 5 or more consecutive fights by knockout. People still saying that these knockouts are luck are laughable tbh.

McGregor will probably move up a weight division to lightweight now anyway. He's a couple inches taller than everybody in featherweight and he's been struggling to make weight apparently so maybe he'll have a bit more competition in a heavier division.

The difference is 24 minutes and 47 seconds. If someone gets knocked out after 25 minutes of battling that's a world of difference to getting knocked out the first time you are touched.

I'd say it's laughable to suggest that there is absolutely no fortune whatsoever involved in your very first punch on someone's chin flattening them. Has Aldo never been hit on the chin before?

Any professional fighter who is gone after one hit in less than 15 seconds should have their ability called in to question. That's the form of a bum.

• Advertisement

AH lads, the comments here are laughable and really showing people up for making statements without having a clue.

McGregor is in unbelievable shape at the moment. I've nearly never seen a fitter fighter in the UFC. His challenge is going to be to stay focused enough to keep training that hard.

His strike on Aldo was down to him studying Aldo's style and opening himself up enough that he drew Aldo into a trademark feint and left hook which McGregor took clean advantage of. Aldo is known for having a very solid jaw but entirely possible that he is having some issues here which is why he has been dodging fights a bit of late, and why one punch cleaned him out. It was a very hard perfectly timed punch however and would put most people down. Like fraction of a second perfect.

To all those thinking this was luck, sure isn't it just luck O'Gara used to nail pressure kicks, nothing to do with training and practice.

With regards to Rousey, most MMA fans didn't buy into the hype, she is actually fairly ridiculed for her attitude and many were happy to see her get beaten by Holm's. I still think Rousey is a very good fighter, and the humility should see her come back more level headed and a bit more focused.

Aldo is known for having a very solid jaw but entirely possible that he is having some issues here which is why he has been dodging fights a bit of late, and why one punch cleaned him out. It was a very hard perfectly timed punch however and would put most people down. Like fraction of a second perfect.

So what you are saying is that McGregor had the fortune of fighting Aldo at a time when he is having problems taking hits in a fight?

No fighter trained well enough to get into a ring should be going down so easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Makey-up sport or not, arrogant tosser attitude or not, the lad is $5m richer and fair f*cks to him for that. I don't watch MMA so couldn't give a toss, but I can admire how he's marketed himself - he's box office!

So what you are saying is that McGregor had the fortune of fighting Aldo at a time when he is having problems taking hits in a fight?

Ah so you're taking the piss. Fair enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The difference is 24 minutes and 47 seconds. If someone gets knocked out after 25 minutes of battling that's a world of difference to getting knocked out the first time you are touched.

I'd say it's laughable to suggest that there is absolutely no fortune whatsoever involved in your very first punch on someone's chin flattening them. Has Aldo never been hit on the chin before?

Any professional fighter who is gone after one hit in less than 15 seconds should have their ability called in to question. That's the form of a bum.

McGregor = Lomu

• Advertisement

Ah so you're taking the piss. Fair enough.

Not taking the piss.

Just not buying into the hype because he beat a guy who couldn't take a single hit. The guy is clearly a brilliant fighter but that was a bit farcical.

If he is so good that he can beat the supposed best in the division with a single hit then last night's fight was never going to be a contest and the result was a foregone conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭TeoReid

some of posts here remind me of the posts we see on rugby threads in After Hours.

Not taking the piss.

Just not buying into the hype because he beat a guy who couldn't take a single hit. The guy is clearly a brilliant fighter but that was a bit farcical.

If he is so good that he can beat the supposed best in the division with a single hit then last night's fight was never going to be a contest and the result was a foregone conclusion.

You've admitted yourself you don't watch MMA. That's fair enough, I don't watch a huge amount of it myself, but going by the reactions and comments of a lot/all of the people who do follow the sport/participate in it luck had very little to do with it. Add this to the fact that McGregor has won the vast majority of his fights by KO and many of them in the first round too and I think I'll take them at their word rather than you tbh.

At what point do his KOs stop being luck?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Makey-up sport or not, arrogant tosser attitude or not, the lad is $5m richer and fair f*cks to him for that. I don't watch MMA so couldn't give a toss, but I can admire how he's marketed himself - he's box office!

I think it's a great sport. Much better managed than Boxing and a much more honest sport with many many more facets. While styles have become much more centralised to a few key martial arts, the history of the sport shows why it's become the juggernaut that it is.

McGregor's act is just that, an act. Without it, he probably wouldn't be getting title shots yet. I'm delighted for him, and he backs up what he says with performances. And as a role model, he is incredibly committed to what he does which is very commendable.
    Not taking the piss.

Come on Awec, if you don't like the sport or the fighter fair enough - but don't dismiss the performance because Aldo was beaten so quickly.

Sure we can say the same about the World Cup. New Zealand were comfortably better than Australia, does that mean we should dismiss the competition?

Maybe McGregor wasn't fortunate.

Maybe Aldo was the fortunate one that for 10 years managed to avoid fighting anyone capable of actually hitting him and built himself a bit of a false reputation.

The idea that the amazing McGregor beat the amazing Aldo who is unbeaten in 10 years with a single blow after 15 seconds just doesn't tally at all. Either Aldo is very over rated, Aldo had an off night or McGregor is so amazing that the fight was always going to be a non-contest and Aldo just another bum.

Maybe Aldo was the fortunate one that for 10 years managed to avoid fighting anyone capable of actually hitting him and built himself a bit of a false reputation.

The idea that the amazing McGregor beat the amazing Aldo who is unbeaten in 10 years with a single blow after 15 seconds just doesn't tally at all. Either Aldo is very over rated, Aldo had an off night or McGregor is so amazing that the fight was always going to be a non-contest and Aldo just another bum.

Or Aldo was a great champion(this is what all the people in the know seem to think) and McGregor is just that much better?(Also what the people in the know are saying)

I'm genuinely amazed with this rubbish

Bazzo wrote: »
    Or Aldo was a great champion(this is what all the people in the know seem to think) and McGregor is just that much better?(Also what the people in the know are saying)

If he is that much better that Aldo is incapable of lasting 15 seconds then the hype around this fight was a farce and the result a foregone conclusion.

Or maybe Aldo hasn't faced someone with McGregor's skill set. Maybe he has faced a lot of good wrestlers, or kick boxers but no one that has been able to open him up clinically with footwork and fast hard hands.

Anyway, this isn't a discussion - you're opinion is set in stone so will leave it there. Suffice to say, most people who have a basic understanding of the sport don't agree with you on this one.

Or maybe Aldo hasn't faced someone with McGregor's skill set. Maybe he has faced a lot of good wrestlers, or kick boxers but no one that has been able to open him up clinically with footwork and fast hard hands.

Anyway, this isn't a discussion - you're opinion is set in stone so will leave it there. Suffice to say, most people who have a basic understanding of the sport don't agree with you on this one.

My opinion isn't set in stone, just not getting the mental gymnastics going on here.

Aldo is a great champion but not so great that he can last 15 seconds in a ring.

This was a great match between the best in the division but one of the competitors was so much better than the other that he only had to punch him once. This however, should not be mentioned because this was a huge match.

Aldo hasn't lost in 10 years which makes him brilliant but he's not so brilliant that he can take getting hit. Nobody else has ever been good enough before to hit him.

McGregor wasn't at all fortunate but Aldo has been having trouble with his chin (apparently). This shouldn't be questioned however, because nobody punches like McGregor.

It's like people want to hype McGregor but completely avoid questioning the ability and hype of Aldo because that might be seen as somehow detracting from the win. So instead, we have to just go along with the idea that Aldo is amazing but not so amazing that he can last 15 seconds in the ring with McGregor and his iron fists.

Aldo is amazing. McGregor is amazing. All hail McGregor and his herculean win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I think it's a great sport. Much better managed than Boxing and a much more honest sport with many many more facets. While styles have become much more centralised to a few key martial arts, the history of the sport shows why it's become the juggernaut that it is.

McGregor's act is just that, an act. Without it, he probably wouldn't be getting title shots yet. I'm delighted for him, and he backs up what he says with performances. And as a role model, he is incredibly committed to what he does which is very commendable.

I was referring to another post which called the sport made up. I don't watch it, know feck all about it, in fact I'd struggle to name 3 other MMA fighters, but in spite of how annoying McGregor comes across, I admire his chutzpah and how he has used that act to market himself. And fair play to him, he'll never have to work a day in his life after his MMA career is over.

My opinion isn't set in stone, just not getting the mental gymnastics going on here.

Aldo is a great champion but not so great that he can last 15 seconds in a ring.

This was a great match between the best in the division but one of the competitors was so much better than the other that he only had to punch him once. This however, should not be mentioned because this was a huge match.

Aldo hasn't lost in 10 years which makes him brilliant but he's not so brilliant that he can take getting hit. Nobody else has ever been good enough before to hit him.

McGregor wasn't at all fortunate but Aldo has been having trouble with his chin (apparently). This shouldn't be questioned however, because nobody punches like McGregor.

It's like people want to hype McGregor but completely avoid questioning the ability and hype of Aldo because that might be seen as somehow detracting from the win. So instead, we have to just go along with the idea that Aldo is amazing but not so amazing that he can last 15 seconds in the ring with McGregor and his iron fists.

Aldo is amazing. McGregor is amazing. All hail McGregor and his herculean win.

So if they had danced around with a bit of grappling and blocking for 10 minutes and then McGregor had got the same opening and sparked Aldo with his first clean blow to the head the whole fight would somehow have been infinitely better?

Nobody is performing mental gymnastics, you're just taking a ridiculously simple view of everything. They can both be good fighters and have the fight play out as it did anyway.

Look, he's a great figher, that can't be denied.

But that fight last night says a lot more about Aldo than it does about McGregor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

McGregor is a counter puncher with a massive left who had an opportunity to counter punch with his massive left. Cracking shot selection from McG. Aldo shouldn't have bum rushed him.

It also tells you something about Conor's power. In Aldo Mendes II Chad caught him with a full power uppercut and he is known to be one of the more powerful lads at 145 - Aldo was barely rocked. To be able to knock someone out as you're moving backwards shows exceptional power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I stayed up to watch it and delighted I did. Great event :D all the the other fights on the main card were absolute wars, although I felt bad for Nelson who was given a lesson, totally outclassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The look of shock on McGregor's face after the fight underlined how much luck was involved in that exchange.

Edgar-McGregor or Mendes-McGregor will hopefully give us a better spectacle. I'd imagine it'll be Edgar-McGregor given Edgar's antics after the last fight and his win over Mendes.

Edgar-McGregor or Mendes-McGregor will hopefully give us a better spectacle. I'd imagine it'll be Edgar-McGregor given Edgar's antics after the last fight and his win over Mendes.

It'll either by McGregor vs Edgar for the 145 belt or McGregor vs Cerrone/DosAnjos for the 155 belt.

awec you can't base Aldo on simply what happened last night. You admitted yourself you haven't seen any of his other fights. I recommend you actually watch some of his fights before determining his career from 13 seconds. France are not as bad (or worse) than Namibia after suffering a similar defeat against New Zealand.

Have a look at this fight. McGregor's last fight was against Mendes, who did push McGregor with his ground game. Both fighters take a ton of punches to the face.

McGreger must have a serious left punch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    It'll either by McGregor vs Edgar for the 145 belt or McGregor vs Cerrone/DosAnjos for the 155 belt.

He really shouldn't be allowed to fight for the 155 belt before he defends the 145 belt. Edgar and Mendes both should get a proper shot at him. The winner of Pettis/Alvarez should fight for the 155 belt.

• Advertisement

He really shouldn't be allowed to fight for the 155 belt before he defends the 145 belt. Edgar and Mendes both should get a proper shot at him. The winner of Pettis/Alvarez should fight for the 155 belt.

Edgar definitely deserves a shot. Mendes though is on a 3 fight losing streak so he will have to fight a few more times I think, maybe match him up with Holloway who is on a great run.

Edit: Forgot about Mendes beating Lamas. Even still I reckon both Aldo and Edgar should be next up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement