Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland U20 2015 6 nations and junior world cup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Snegg wrote: »
    Was at the Leinster/Munster match.

Joey Carberry looked very capable at 10. He controlled the game well and was very solid kicking both out of hand and off the tee. He moved to 15 late on, and again looked comfortable and a threat on the ball.

I thought Nick Timoney played the best game of rugby I'd seen him play in a long time, offered a very solid platform off the back of the scrum, and got around the park well.

In defence, David O'Connor was immense, tackle well and was an ever present threat at the breakdown.

I expected more from both Jack Power and Jeremy Loughman. Neither were poor, but they've both just set extremely high standards for themselves.
    Adam Leavy, on the back of a very strong pre-season, wasn't at his best I felt.

Wasn't paying much attention to the Munster lads to be honest, so can't really comment on them.

Was at the match.

Agree with the majority of your comments.

In fairness to Power he has been carrying a knee injury through the warm ups and he went off injured again last night which may explain. For me Conor Oliver was outstanding as was O'Connor and Porter(although he picked up a YC for illegal scrummaging)

I was disappointed with O'Brien at 13 and if fit would have Brewer(picked up what looked like a nasty leg injury) and Cleary at 12 and 13 for the next interpro.

Leavy was lucky IMO to get a start as Brennan,Courtney and O'Hagan are all injured having played in warm up games in UK(exiles and Leicester) and Ireland(Italy and Terenure). His defense was poor.

Question i have is why was Cian O'Donoghue not playing. I saw him there and would have expected him to be the number one winger given last years performances.

For Munster there is no doubt that Fitzgerald at 15 has a big big future-very good player and has all the attributes to seriously challenge Dardis for the 15 jersey in the Irish U20s come 6 Nations and JWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 under age rugby

any taught on munster 19 what guy are playing well for them and think mite make lrish 19

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rugby addict

Lads screw those regulations we need the best players, playing in the interpros just because you can't get into the Leinster team doesn't mean that you aren't good enough to play at this level. Connacht are rightly developing the best talent available to them and not just giving places to lads because there from Connacht; while there are better players rotting in the other provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Lads screw those regulations we need the best players, playing in the interpros just because you can't get into the Leinster team doesn't mean that you aren't good enough to play at this level. Connacht are rightly developing the best talent available to them and not just giving places to lads because there from Connacht; while there are better players rotting in the other provinces.

Don't think anybody has a problem with lads playing rugby from any province with any province. Long recent history of Leinster lads playing for Connacht and well done to them. The problem is how they spin it that these lads are from Connacht clubs, they are not and will not be with the clubs they are assigned to and Connacht by their actions could well stop lads from playing rugby back in Leinster where they are from and are going to college if IRFU stick to what they told the provinces. Connacht playing with lads futures and not informing them of the facts or consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Don't think anybody has a problem with lads playing rugby from any province with any province. Long recent history of Leinster lads playing for Connacht and well done to them. The problem is how they spin it that these lads are from Connacht clubs, they are not and will not be with the clubs they are assigned to and Connacht by their actions could well stop lads from playing rugby back in Leinster where they are from and are going to college if IRFU stick to what they told the provinces. Connacht playing with lads futures and not informing them of the facts or consequences.
    Its not spin. Connacht haven't stopped anyone from playing rugby. The players should know better or be advised better. If they were advised to register with a Connacht club to play for Connacht but are in college in Limerick/Galway etc then they should have registered with a junior club in Connacht then at least its easy to be registered with a Connacht club but still play u20 or adult rugby with their club in Leinster/Munster etc.

Can we please move on from this. Who do people see winning next weekends games? Two winners in round 1 face off in Belfast while the two defeated sides face off in Limerick

Its not spin. Connacht haven't stopped anyone from playing rugby. The players should know better or be advised better. If they were advised to register with a Connacht club to play for Connacht but are in college in Limerick/Galway etc then they should have registered with a junior club in Connacht then at least its easy to be registered with a Connacht club but still play u20 or adult rugby with their club in Leinster/Munster etc.

Can we please move on from this. Who do people see winning next weekends games? Two winners in round 1 face off in Belfast while the two defeated sides face off in Limerick
    Will move on if and when I am good and ready thanks. You fail to grasp what is being said! Connacht advised players and said it would be no problem with forms being put in front of lads the day of and the day before warm up matches and told they could not play if they didn't sign. Totally against an IRFU dictate that was communicated well in advance to Connacht! Can end it there if you want!

Stainalert wrote: »
    Watched Clontarf play Lansdowne this weekend. Neither side impressed really. Clontarf backline was much changed from last season - Joyce kicked well and was the main difference in the 2 teams. Clontarf's defensive organisation was good and kept them in the game after a shakey enough start. They struggled with front row injuries which could be a worry for them in the week ahead or maybe they are just being cautious and minding what they have. Would imagine Clontarf have a fair few players to return and to win when not playing particularly well is probably a good sign.

Attendance at the game was abysmal - Hope things pick up for this Saturday. Young Munster will be a tough game next week but given home advantage, their defensive strength and Joyce's clinical kicking I would see them getting off to a winning start especially if they have a few more bodies to pick from. Still think the UBL start is too early and will catch some teams napping.
    Surely you meant this for UBL thread?
    I agree UBL is probably starting a week or two too early. Will try get to a game this weekend. Hopefully the crowds can get out to games....

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭specttator

Match in Belfast should tell a lot. no word on injuries to Leinster players yet. All to play for.

specttator wrote: »
    Match in Belfast should tell a lot. no word on injuries to Leinster players yet. All to play for.

Am hearing Brewer out injured to be replaced naturally enough by Cleary. Also that Power a serious doubt due to knee to maybe be replaced by Dardis. Also Brennan who had a hamstring injury last week may be in for Valeco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Am hearing Brewer out injured to be replaced naturally enough by Cleary. Also that Power a serious doubt due to knee to maybe be replaced by Dardis. Also Brennan who had a hamstring injury last week may be in for Valeco.

Those changes would make Leinster stronger, not weaker.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Those changes would make Leinster stronger, not weaker.

I can see where you are going but for me(was at the game on Friday):

Robbie V played well last Friday night-better than Leavy. I would have him and Brennan on the wings.

F Cleary IMO should be playing anyway and the best centre partnership for me would be Cleary at 12 and Brewer at 13-I feel he is better than O'Brien

Re Power vs Dardis-the former is a special talent and IMO is as good as Dardis. Dardis has played very very little rugby in the last 12 months-no game time in 6 Nations and 5 minutes in JWC. He has a lot to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Robbie V played well last Friday night-better than Leavy. I would have him and Brennan on the wings.

F Cleary IMO should be playing anyway and the best centre partnership for me would be Cleary at 12 and Brewer at 13-I feel he is better than O'Brien

Re Power vs Dardis-the former is a special talent and IMO is as good as Dardis. Dardis has played very very little rugby in the last 12 months-no game time in 6 Nations and 5 minutes in JWC. He has a lot to prove.

In the all-conquering Leinster U18 schools team two years ago the centre partnership was Brewer 12 Cleary 13.

My point really was that I think that Fergal Cleary is a more skillful all round player than Brewer, I think that he will offer more in attack.

Robbie Vallejo is a good player, but Brennan is equally as good.

Power I do not know as well, but have seen him once for Rock and is a real talent who might be better than Dardis, but in no way is Billy's inclusion (if true) anything but a plus, he is an Academy player and a member of last years JWC squad.

Overall I think those changes are better for Leinster and that they will beat Ulster on Saturday. The strength in depth of Leinster is huge. I also think that the Ulster forwards are not up to the standard of their backs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 tedgre

My point really was that I think that Fergal Cleary is a more skillful all round player than Brewer, I think that he will offer more in attack.

Robbie Vallejo is a good player, but Brennan is equally as good.

Power I do not know as well, but have seen him once for Rock and is a real talent who might be better than Dardis, but in no way is Billy's inclusion (if true) anything but a plus, he is an Academy player and a member of last years JWC squad.

Overall I think those changes are better for Leinster and that they will beat Ulster on Saturday. The strength in depth of Leinster is huge. I also think that the Ulster forwards are not up to the standard of their backs.

Cleary and Brewer are very different players. Vallejo is decent, Leinster missing Cian O'Donoghue at that spot.
    Power is very good but small, similar to Dardis.
    Ulster could have as many as 7 academy players starting.. Leinster might have 1.
    Ulster should be favourites. There backs 9-15 are very talented. They may struggle in the pack but they are at home and should have enough to overcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ulster U20s side for Leinster

15 Jack Owens
    14 Adam Liddell
    13 Sam Arnold
    12 Conor McKee
    11 Jacob Stockdale
    10 Sean O'Hagan
    9 Conor Young
    1 Michael Lagan
    2 Zac McCall
    3 Angelo Marica
    4 Tim Donnan
    5 Nigel Simpson
    6 Callum Irvine
    7 Josh Davidson
    8 Lorcan Dow

16 Andrew McGrath
    17 Darryl Morton
    18 Dane Fitzpatrick
    19 Caleb Montgomery
    20 Ross Todd
    21 Josh Fullerton
    22 Jack Milligan
    23 Michael Cartmill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

bilston wrote: »
    Ulster U20s side for Leinster

15 Jack Owens
    14 Adam Liddell
    13 Sam Arnold
    12 Conor McKee
    11 Jacob Stockdale
    10 Sean O'Hagan
    9 Conor Young
    1 Michael Lagan
    2 Zac McCall
    3 Angelo Marica
    4 Tim Donnan
    5 Nigel Simpson
    6 Callum Irvine
    7 Josh Davidson
    8 Lorcan Dow

16 Andrew McGrath
    17 Darryl Morton
    18 Dane Fitzpatrick
    19 Caleb Montgomery
    20 Ross Todd
    21 Josh Fullerton
    22 Jack Milligan
    23 Michael Cartmill

Don't know too much about these Ulster players - Who should I be looking out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Board_man

My verdict for tonight's u20 inter pros are
    Ulster to beat Leinster by >5
    Munster to beat Connacht by <7

Don't know too much about these Ulster players - Who should I be looking out for?

Pretty much most of the back-line. O'Hagan, Stockdale and Owens are three lads that I would expect to be involved with Ireland this year. At least one of them will start. Stockdale is u19 and has gathered a lot of hype after his performances for Ireland u18 last season. Arnold and McKee are also tidy players and Arnold is a strong candidate for the centre spot in next years u20s.

Dow is the guy to watch in the pack, he's an exile along with O'Hagan and Arnold. He captained Ireland u19s last season and is an effective ball carrier, and likely to start for Ireland and a candidate for the captaincy.

• Advertisement

Jacob Stockdale, Sean O'Hagan and Jack Owens are some of the backs to look out for but I think the backline in general is strong. Haven't seen him play but I've heard some good things about Arnold.

Lorcan Dow is definitely one to watch in the pack.

Watch out for most of the backs as they're a super unit with Stockdale, O Hagan very good and in the pack all the d's are very good(Donnan, Dow, Davidson)
    Board_man wrote: »
    My verdict for tonight's u20 inter pros are
    Ulster to beat Leinster by >5
    Munster to beat Connacht by <7
    Agree on the victors. Not so sure on the margins. Don't think Munster will win by 7+

Don't think that Ulster have the forwards to get enough ball to their very strong backline. Connacht had them in the forwards last week, it was only in the second half when the half backs got hold of the ball that Ulster started to do some damage and Connacht let the concentration go then. I will take Leinster to win and also go with Connacht to beat Munster ! The Connacht forwards are competitive and could make it a closer game than most people think (here's hoping anyways !)

Connacht beat Munster 13-10

Anyone have teams from Connacht v Munster?

Connacht beat Munster 13-10

Good win for Connacht!

• Advertisement

Anyone have teams from Connacht v Munster?
    Don't have Munster side but Connacht side was
    1 Conor Kyne Galwegians
    2 Rory Litchfield Galwegians
    3 Conan O'Donnell Sligo
    4 Cian Romaine Buccaneers
    5 James Doyle (C) Galwegians
    6 Marc Kelly Corinthians
    7 Alex Penny NUIG
    8 Stephen McVeigh Buccaneers
    9 Conor Lowndes Galwegians
    10 Aidan Moynihan Galwegians
    11 Oisin Leahy NUIG
    12 Ben Ridgeway Galwegians
    13 Dwayne Corcoran Westport
    14 Joseph D'Arcy Galwegians
    15 Anthony McGivney NUIG
    16 John Healy Westport
    17 Conor Doyle Buccaneers
    18 Ryan O'Meara Buccaneers
    19 Roy Stanley NUIG
    20 Joshua Pimm Buccaneers
    21 Ricky Dixon Buccaneers
    22 Andrew Shanahan NUIG
    23 Dylan Kelso Buccaneers

Munster side was
    1. Liam O'Connor
    2. Sean McNulty
    3. Liam McMahon
    4. Frank Bradshaw Ryan
    5. Glen Stokes
    6. Conor Barry
    7. Luke O'Leary
    8. David St.Ledger
    9. Jack Cullen
    10. Gearoid Lyons
    11. Stephen McMahon
    12. Will Leonard
    13. Paul Kiernan
    14. Greg O'Shea
    15. Stephen Fitzgerald

16. Luke O'Halloran
    17. Brendan Quinlan
    18. Greg Roche
    19. Aaron Hogan
    20. Cormac Blake
    21. Jason Higgins
    22. Tomas Quinlan
    23. Ed O'Keefe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Cian O'Donoghue is better than all 3 IMO.

funtime93 wrote: »
    Cian O'Donoghue is better than all 3 IMO.

Would agree with you there and only makes the bench due to injury, very strange!

Would agree with you there and only makes the bench due to injury, very strange!

Agree with both..as i posted last week he was the number one wing coming into this series-he did have a hand injury in pre season and did play against Italy but missed some tackles and dropped 2 easy balls..but agree it is strange that he has not started..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 leinster89

O'Donghue is a very good player in attack, questionable in defence.

Ulster won 15-10 as to be expected when one side has 7 academy players and the other has 0.

Charlie Rock was apparently very impressive. He might put heat on Cullen for the 21 shirt.

Hagz wrote: »
    Charlie Rock was apparently very impressive. He might put heat on Cullen for the 21 shirt.

For sure, I would say that Rock leads the rankings at the moment, Conor Young from Ulster too would be in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭specttator

some changes in the Leinster squad listed to play Connacht on Sat, a few injuries lurking, no doubt.

specttator wrote: »
    some changes in the Leinster squad listed to play Connacht on Sat, a few injuries lurking, no doubt.

You are correct-L U20s now have all 4 centres injured! Brewer/O'Brien/Cleary/Courtney all out-also Power and Z O'Hagan..i hear Brewer and Power having knee surgery and out for a few months as is O'Brien..Courtney back in a couple of weeks as will O'Hagan..

Dardis to start at 15 with Gilsenan called up from 19s at 12 and Brennan at 13..rest of backline same as against Ulster ie Rock at 9/Carberry at 10/Leavy at 14 and Vajeco at 11..

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Snegg

From Leinster website, no sign of Dardis.
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/12515.php#.VBvu3S5dUio

Leinster U20 Squad:

15. Robert Vallejo (New Ross RFC)
    14. Adam Leavy (UCD RFC)
    13. Cormac Brennan (Old Belvedere RFC)
    12. Matthew Gilsenan (UCD RFC)
    11. Cian O'Donoghue (Clongowes Wood S.J.)
    10. Joseph Carbery (UCD RFC)
    9. Charlie Rock (Old Belvedere RFC) CAPTAIN

1. Andrew Porter (St. Andrew's College)
    2. Jack McKenna (Lansdowne FC)
    3. Jeremy Loughman (UCD RFC)
    4. David O'Connor (St. Mary's College RFC)
    5. Jack Dwan (Blackrock College)
    6. Joshua Murphy (UCD RFC)
    7. Conor Oliver (St. Mary's College RFC)
    8. Nick Timoney (St. Mary's College RFC)

REPLACEMENTS:

16. Andy Roche (Terenure College RFC)
    17. Eric O'Sullivan (Templeogue College)
    18. Jonathan Phelan (UCD)
    19. Patrick Thornton (Terenure College RFC)
    20. Neil Reilly (Clontarf FC)
    21. Timothy Schmidt (Terenure College RFC)
    22. Sean Kearns (St. Mary's College RFC)
    23. James Nolan (Lansdowne FC)

Connacht U19 Squad:

15. Anthony McGivney (NUIG RFC)
    14. Joseph D'Arcy (Galwegians RFC)
    13. Dwayne Corcoran (Galwegians RFC)
    12. Ben Ridgeway (Galwegians RFC)
    11. Oisin Leahy (NUIG RFC)
    10. Aidan Moynihan (Galwegians RFC)
    9. Conor Lowndes (Galwegians RFC)

1. Conor Kyne (Galwegians RFC)
    2. Rory Litchfield (Galwegians RFC)
    3. Conan O'Donnell (Sligo RFC)
    4. Cian Romaine (Bucacaneers RFC)
    5. James Doyle (Galwegians RFC) CAPTAIN
    6. Marc Kelly (Galway Corinthians RFC)
    7. Alex Penny (NUIG RFC)
    8. Stephen McVeigh (Buccaneers RFC)

REPLACEMENTS:

16. John Healy (Wesport RFC)
    17. Conor Doyle (Buccaneers RFC)
    18. Ryan O'Meara (Buccaneers RFC)
    19. Roy Stanley (NUIG RFC)
    20. Cormac Nugent (Galwegians RFC)
    21. Ricky Dixon (Buccaneers RFC)
    22. Ciaran Gaffney (Galwegians RFC)
    23. Dylan Kelso (Buccaneers RFC)

Think that is Connachts U20 squad there Snegg not U19.

Think that is Connachts U20 squad there Snegg not U19.
    It is the under 20 squad but there was a typo on leinster website on teams listings and they were called u19s

Munster and Ulster under 20 teams for tonights game
    Anyone going to the game?

15. Stephen Fitzgerald (Capt.)(Shannon RFC)
    14. Greg O'Shea (Shannon RFC)
    13. JJ O'Neill (TBC)
    12. Will Leonard (Shannon RFC)
    11. Steve McMahon (Garryowen FC)
    10. Gearóid Lyons (Young Munster RFC)
    9. Jack Cullen (Shannon RFC)
    1. Liam O'Connor (TBC)
    2. Seán McNulty (UCD RFC)
    3. Liam McMahon (Old Crescent RFC)
    4. Frank Bradshaw-Ryan (Shannon RFC)
    5. Glen Stokes (Cork Constitution FC)
    6. Conor Barry (UCC RFC/Bandon RFC)
    7. Luke O'Leary (Cork Constitution FC)
    8. David St. Leger (TBC)
    Replacements:
    16. Luke O'Halloren (TBC)
    17. Brendan Quinlan (Cork Constitution FC)
    18. Greg Roche (Cork Constitution FC)
    19. Aaron Hogan (UCC RFC)
    20. Cormac Blake (TBC)
    21. Jason Higgins (TBC)
    22. Tomás Quinlan (Cork Constitution FC)
    23. Ed O'Keeffe (Young Munster RFC)

Ulster Under 20s
    15. Jack Owens (Queen's University RFC)
    14. Adam Liddell (Malone RFC)
    13. Sam Arnold (Ballynahinch RFC)
    12. Conor McKee (Queen's University RFC)
    11. Jacob Stockdale (TBC)
    10. Jack Milligan (Dungannon RFC)
    9. Conor Young (Instonians RFC)
    1. Michael Lagan (Capt.) (Ballymena)
    2. Zac McCall (Queen's University RFC)
    3. Angelo Marica (Ballynahinch)
    4. Tom Donnan (TBC)
    5. Nigel Simpson (Queen's University RFC)
    6. Callum Irvine (TBC)
    7. Ross Todd (Belfast Harlequins RFC)
    8. Lorcan Dow (Queen's University RFC)
    Replacements:
    16. Andrew McGrath (TBC)
    17. Darryl Morton (City of Armagh RFC)
    18. Dane Fitzpatrick (Belfast Harlequins RFC)
    19. Josh Davidson (TBC)
    20. Caleb Montgomery (TBC)
    21. Josh Fullerton (Belfast Harlequins RFC)
    22. Josh Bingham (Malone RFC)
    23. Michael Cartmill (Malone RFC)

Ulster beat Munster 17-12 to win the inter-pros.

On a related note, does anyone know why Lorcan Dow wears the 5 jersey for Ulster even though he plays 8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster beat Munster 17-12 to win the inter-pros.

On a related note, does anyone know why Lorcan Dow wears the 5 jersey for Ulster even though he plays 8?
    Perhaps he suffers from discalcula......:D:D or the person who sticks on the numbers does. 5 / 8

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Snegg

Hearing a bit of talk that Gary Ringrose may be togging out for Leinster 20's today.

Snegg wrote: »
    Hearing a bit of talk that Gary Ringrose may be togging out for Leinster 20's today.

He is definitely starting at 13

Dardis was going to start at 15 but picked up a shoulder knock on Thursday

Paddy Thornton now gone from bench as he rolled ankle yesterday in team run-greg jones now on bench instead of him

Leavy also now out and Brennan at 15 with Viajeco at 14

Leinster currently leading 42-14 at half-time. A try for Jeremy Loughman, a brace for Cian O'Donoghue and a hat-trick for Conor Oliver.

Full time Leinster 61 - 34 Connacht.

Connacht try scorers: Lowndes (2) , Penny, McVeigh, Leahy

Leinster try scorers: Oliver (3), Loughman (2), O'Donoghue (2), Murphy, Rock

Interesting comment on the Leinster site report of the u19's game
    The performance of Max Deegan was a particular highlight for Leinster as the rangy St Michael's man was a leader for Leinster and looks to have a huge career ahead of him.

You don't usually see such striking praise for a player in these match reports.

Interesting comment on the Leinster site report of the u19's game

You don't usually see such striking praise for a player in these match reports.

What position does he play?

bilston wrote: »
    What position does he play?

Number 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Have noticed his name pop up a bit in match reports, remember seeing highlights of the pre season friendly against Northampton where he set up the winning try with a lovely break and Sonny bill-esque offload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Full time Leinster 61 - 34 Connacht.

Connacht try scorers: Lowndes (2) , Penny, McVeigh, Leahy

Leinster try scorers: Oliver (3), Loughman (2), O'Donoghue (2), Murphy, Rock

Isn't O'Donoghue that winger who was out of favour for the rest of the interpro's for some reason? Remember being very impressed by him watching a schools game a year or two ago

Advertisement