Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland U20 2015 6 nations and junior world cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TomThumb

Yes Leinster won 64 - 10. To add to the squad the starting Front row was Erick O Sullivan, Andy Roche, and Jonathan(JP) Phelan at tighthead. Phelan a big powerful man played full match, Looks a good prospect.
    DaveHln09 wrote: »
    Any idea on the team?

I know a few of the lads in the squad but no idea on a full squad.

Andrew Porter, Jeremy Loughman, Hugh O'Donnell, Michael Courtney, Tim Schmidt, Jack McGrath, Eoghan Murphy, Jack Power, Adam Leavy, Mark Sutton, Conor O'Brien, Tom Brady, Greg Jones, Robbie Vallejo..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Board_man

Connacht and Munster under 20s going head to head on Wednesday at 12pm in Annacotty (UL Bohs). Munster then off the Clermont the following Monday to take part in a 4 way tournament with Leicester Tigers academy, Clermont Auvergne Academy and the Georigia national U20 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MagicF

TomThumb wrote: »
    Yes Leinster won 64 - 10..
    Does anyone know the result for today's match against Leicester?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

DaveHln09 wrote: »
    Leinster 20s defeated the exiles 48-10.
    Big win but Exiles are never as strong as 20s as they are at 18s/19s
    Board_man wrote: »
    Connacht and Munster under 20s going head to head on Wednesday at 12pm in Annacotty (UL Bohs). Munster then off the Clermont the following Monday to take part in a 4 way tournament with Leicester Tigers academy, Clermont Auvergne Academy and the Georigia national U20 team.
    Shame its on in Annacotty and not the University all weather. Pitches in Annacotty are crap. Munster trip to face Leicester et al is just mix of 40 minute games. No full games if its same as last year

I heard Leinster u20s had another big win against Leicester academy on Saturday. They are playing Italy u20s on Saturday 23rd in Ashbourne - don't have a time for that game.

• Advertisement

MagicF wrote: »
    I heard Leinster u20s had another big win against Leicester academy on Saturday. They are playing Italy u20s on Saturday 23rd in Ashbourne - don't have a time for that game.
    That Italian game is at 2.30
    Will be interesting how Leinster get on against that Italian side. Munster lost to them, Connacht beat them and Ulster play Italy today

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭specttator

MagicF wrote: »

reckon that match against Leicester is u19

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Tomorrow, Ashbourne RFC will see the Leinster under 20's face Italian under 20's squad at a 14.30pm kick off. See the full squad announcement below...

Leinster Squad:
    POWER, Jack (Blackrock College)
    LEAVY, Adam (St. Michael's College)
    O'BRIEN, Conor (Mullingar RFC)
    CLEARY, Fergal (Clongowes Wood College)
    O'DONOGHUE, Cian (Clongowes Wood College)
    SUTTON, Mark (Newbridge College)
    ROCK, Charlie (Old Belvedere RFC)
    TIMONEY, Nick (Blackrock College)
    THORNTON, Patrick (Terenure RFC)
    MURPHY, Josh (UCD)
    JONES, Greg (St. Andrews College)
    O'CONNOR, David (Blackrock College)
    PHELAN, JP (Newbridge College)
    BOLAND, Jack (Trinity College)
    PORTER, Andrew (St. Andrews College)
    Replacements Bench:
    MCKENNA, Jack (Lansdowne FC)
    O'SULLIVAN, Eric (Templeogue College)
    O'DONNELL, Hugh (Newbridge College)
    MCGRATH, Jack (CBC Monkstown)
    PIM, Sam (Kilkenny College)
    OLIVER, Conor (Blackrock College)
    SCHMIDT, Tim (Terenure College)
    BRADY, Tristan (Blackrock College)
    KEARNS, Sean (Blackrock College)
    BREWER, Harrison (Terenure RFC)
    NOLAN, James (Gorey RFC)

Interesting squad-Loughman/Carberry/Dwan/O'Hagan/Brennan all carrying slight injuries i hear and not included while Michael Courtney tore ankle ligaments in the game against Leicester Academy last saturday and is out for 2 months. Interesting to see Jack Boland at hooker who played for Munster 19s last year and is studying at Trinity has declared for Leinster.

Byrne/McCarthy/Ringrose/Dardis/Heffernan not playing interpros while interesting to note that Brewer who was also not supposed to be playing interpros is sitting on bench which I guess is for cover only given the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Will be interesting how Leinster get on against that Italian side. Munster lost to them, Connacht beat them and Ulster play Italy today

Ulster drew 12-12 with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Tomorrow, Ashbourne RFC will see the Leinster under 20's face Italian under 20's squad at a 14.30pm kick off. See the full squad announcement below...

Leinster Squad:
    MURPHY, Josh (UCD)
    Replacements Bench:
    NOLAN, James (Gorey RFC)

Interesting squad-Loughman/Carberry/Dwan/O'Hagan/Brennan all carrying slight injuries i hear and not included while Michael Courtney tore ankle ligaments in the game against Leicester Academy last saturday and is out for 2 months. Interesting to see Jack Boland at hooker who played for Munster 19s last year and is studying at Trinity has declared for Leinster.

Byrne/McCarthy/Ringrose/Dardis/Heffernan not playing interpros while interesting to note that Brewer who was also not supposed to be playing interpros is sitting on bench which I guess is for cover only given the injuries.

Is Tim Schmidt son of?

Leinster Squad:
    MURPHY, Josh (UCD)
    Replacements Bench:
    NOLAN, James (Gorey RFC)

Good to see plenty from last years irish 20s squad not playing. More chances for others.
    Hopefully we'll see clubs that all those just leaving school will be joining soon enough.
    bilston wrote: »
    Ulster drew 12-12 with them.
    Interesting. Leinster should beat the Italians..
    bilston wrote: »
    Is Tim Schmidt son of?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Good to see Charlie rock playing, really liked him at 9. More impressive than the michaels 9 who got academy in my opinion. Power at 15 is interesting, was hoping to see him at 13. Not many clubs reps involved,thought we would see a rise in their representation. Jury still out on Dempsey as academy manager-wonder does he have a say in 20's line up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Leinster u20s beat Italy u20s 43-10.

EDIT: Wait, I'm not sure who won. The score was 43-10 though.

• Site Banned Posts: 9 SillySimon

Ulster u20 beat the exiles 78-0.

It will be Leinster vs Ulster. Fancy Ulster to do it this year.

Hagz wrote: »
    Leinster u20s beat Italy u20s 43-10.

EDIT: Wait, I'm not sure who won. The score was 43-10 though.
    It was Leinster.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Good to see Charlie rock playing, really liked him at 9. More impressive than the michaels 9 who got academy in my opinion. Power at 15 is interesting, was hoping to see him at 13. Not many clubs reps involved,thought we would see a rise in their representation. Jury still out on Dempsey as academy manager-wonder does he have a say in 20's line up.
    Disagree on the 9s. Rock is a v good player but not ready for academy yet. May be different at end of season
    There isn't huge number of youths involved but the schools were so strong at this age its not a surprise. Would imagine academy coaches would have some role in line up.
    SillySimon wrote: »
    Ulster u20 beat the exiles 78-0.

It will be Leinster vs Ulster. Fancy Ulster to do it this year.
    Wouldn't be so sure it will be Leinster v Ulster.

Will be interesting to see how Munster go against Clermont, Leicester and Georgia in France this week.

• Site Banned Posts: 9 SillySimon

I am sure, Munster will be fine but don't have as much talent as Leinster or Munster.

Leinster would be heavy favourites if they had there academy lads.

Charlie Rock is a good player but tiny, cant see him making the academy setup.

No obvious clubs players missing, O'Brien is a serious player though.

The match, which took place in Ashbourne RFC, was the last for the Italian side on their tour of Ireland. In the early exchanges Leinster took a 5-0 lead through a Jack Power try, however, the Italians fought back and were 10-5 up after 14 minutes. This would be their last score of the game.

The Leinster U-20s went into half-time 12-10 up after Jack Boland crossed the whitewash and his try was successfully converted.

Leinster began the second half as they ended the first and went on to score four more tries, with Adam Leavy, Cian O'Donoghue, Josh Murphy and Conor Oliver all putting five points on the scoreboard. Each of their tries were converted by Mark Sutton to leave the Leinster U-20s as comfortable 43-10 winners on the day.

Conor Oliver did not play. That try was scored by Nick Timoney.

• Advertisement

I noticed Stephen Fitzgerald isn't 19 till late November. Does that make him eligible for u20s next year as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

I noticed Stephen Fitzgerald isn't 19 till late November. Does that make him eligible for u20s next year as well?

No-he is eligible only this year for U20 Interpros and Ireland. He would need to be born in 1996 for him to be eligible next year as well as far as I am aware.

No. He's born in 1995. In final year to play 20s this season

Munster 20s are on tour in France at the moment
    They played Clermont today losing 19-13. Eoin O Carroll and Gearoid Lyons scored trys with Tomas Quinlan scoring a penalty

Munster team(1-15) was:
    Liam O'Connor, Luke O'Halloran, Liam McMahon, Frank Bradshaw-Ryan, Aaron Hogan, Conor Barry, Luke O'Leary, Dave St Ledger; Jack Cullen, Gearoid Lyons, Will Leonard, Paul Kiernan (Capt), Shane McAuliffe, Eoin O'Carroll, Robbie Deegan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

SillySimon wrote: »

Charlie Rock is a good player but tiny, cant see him making the academy setup.

My thoughts too. The game has evolved to a point where smaller players have to seriously compensate for their lack of size. You won't be seeing much more 5'7" players coming through these days unless they've got some sort of edge to balance it out. Charlie Rock is a very nice player and if he was 3 or 4 inches bigger and 10 or 15 kgs heavier he might've picked up the Leinster spot.

Well Luke McGrath can't but much taller than Rock and Leinster are resting their hopes on him. Although McGrath is an absolute beast for his size.

But the best scrum-half in the world is 5'7 so there's hope for any pocket sized 9s knocking about. If they pass over Rock then next up is young Osbourne who if anything is smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Well Luke McGrath can't but much taller than Rock and Leinster are resting their hopes on him. Although McGrath is an absolute beast for his size.

But the best scrum-half in the world is 5'7 so there's hope for any pocket sized 9s knocking about. If they pass over Rock then next up is young Osbourne who if anything is smaller.

Well that's the point I suppose, Luke McGrath is the best scrum half to have played schools rugby in at least the last decade IMO, I feel like Charlie Rock isn't at that level nor will he ever be. The nature of the position means that all things equal, a smaller guy will be at an advantage, but how many instances are speed and strength equal?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tigerbarron

Rock is similar to Dave Shanhan.. he is too small and slight and isn't a realistic option fof the leinster academy.. Rowan Osborne is likely i the same boat..

The likely next academy scrumhalf is Dave Duggan with Andrew Feeney and Dan Lavelle with outside chances.

Shame Tim Schmidt isnt a better player..

Munster beat Leicester 26-17 in their second game in France
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/18954

Ulster lost to London Irish u20s 27-24 on Thursday

Interprovincial games start next weekend.
    Leinster v Munster in Ashbourne and Ulster v Connacht in Ravenhill

Anyone going to games?

• Advertisement

Taken from Academies thread as more suitable here....
    Playoff to get into 20's premier league for 6 teams on weekend of September 27th Belvo have got 5th place spot as seapoint have pulled out;

Blackrock College v Naas
    Clontarf v Greystones
    St Marys College v NUIM Barnhall

Munster-Connacht Under 20s league is split into North and South Conferences and theyre to start in a months time
    Section A
    Dolphin, Sundays Well, Highfield, Kanturk/Charleville, UCC, Cork Con, Midleton, Clonakilty/Kinsale, WIT/Waterpark, Ballincollig

Section B
    Young Munster, UL Bohs, Old Crescent, NUIG-Corinthians, Tralee, Garryowen,
    Buccaneers, Nenagh Ormond, Bruff, Shannon, Galwegians

Advertisement