Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland U20 2015 6 nations and junior world cup

• 21-07-2014 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ireland finished 4th in the 2014 Junior World Cup after a strong world cup
    in a year where many key players were often injured which affected the squad in a major way
    2014 u20 interpros are likely to be played on these dates:
    5/9/14, 12/9/14 and 19/9/14. Havent seen fixtures yet.

2015 u20 6nations fixtures are
    6/2/15 Italy v Ireland
    13/2/15 Ireland v France
    27/2/15 Ireland v England
    13/3/15 Wales v Ireland
    20/3/15 Scotland v Ireland

The 2015 Junior World Cup takes place in Italy and the groups are below(based upon seedings from the 2014 competition)
    England, France, Wales, Japan
    south Africa, Australia, Samoa, Italy
    new Zealand, Ireland, Argentina, Scotland

From June's 20s world cup squad there is Oisin Heffernan(Prop),
    Rory Moloney (Backrow), Josh Murphy (Backrow), Nick McCarthy (Scrumhalf), Ross Byrne (Outhalf), Harrison Brewer (Centre), Gary Ringrose (Centre), Billy Dardis (Full Back), Ciaran Gaffney (Full Back) who are all underage for 2015 competition. Plenty expected from this squad with such a large number who played a year up this year

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 MichaelsBoy1

Josh Murphy could be at lock based on what I've heard, he started there for the under-19s last April, needs to bulk up. Probably 197cm or so.

A lot of talent at this age group, biggest weakness could be TH prop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

The presence or absence of a tight head prop has a massive bearing of how the 20's go generally. Tadhg furlong and Martin Moore provided a platform in previous years. Anyone know if there is a good tight head about this year? The rock prop was massive physically, hopefully he can scrummage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 MichaelsBoy1

Jeremy Loughman, the Blackrock TH, usually played LH for Leinster and Ireland underage but most expect him to move to TH next year to compete with Oisin Heffernan, he himself a former LH until last season.

Mike O'Donnell seems to be Munster's primary TH, while Connacht have an under-19 who is highly thought of in Conan O'Donnell who may get a look.

In April, Heffernan started at TH and Loughman started at LH for Ireland under-19 in the 1st game. The second game saw O'Donnell start at TH, with Loughman as the bench TH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Munster U20 play Italy U20 in Dooradoyle tomorrow evening
    Joe White; Shane McAuliffe, JJ O'Neill, Paul Kiernan, Eoin O'Carroll; Fionn McGibney, Jack Cullen; Liam O'Connor, Luke O'Halloran, Liam McMahon; Glen Stokes, Frank B Ryan (Captain); Johnny Keane, Conor Barry Dave St. Ledger

Replacements: Brendan Quinlan, Seán McNulty, Mike O'Donnell, Patrick Staff, Aaron Hogan, Tobi Adamekin, Dave O'Mahony, Gearoid Lyons, Will Leonard, Ben Murphy, Robbie Deegan

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveHln09

Dunno who if any of the leinster jwc lads are playing 20s this year.

Weak enough munster side for italy game

• Advertisement

DaveHln09 wrote: »
    Dunno who if any of the leinster jwc lads are playing 20s this year.

Weak enough munster side for italy game
    Some may but some not playing gives Leinster and Irish coaches a chance to look at other players who otherwise wouldn't get a chance.

Cant really say its a weak Munster side. Its their first real warm up and its well over 3 weeks to the first interpro so there'll be plenty of looking at different unit make ups etc..

Missing Stephen Fitzgerald, Greg O'Shea, Tomas Quinlan, Ben Kilkenny and Steve McMahon,5 very talnted players and with O'Donnell, Lyons and McNulty on the bench. Hardly the strongest side.

Missing Stephen Fitzgerald, Greg O'Shea, Tomas Quinlan, Ben Kilkenny and Steve McMahon,5 very talnted players and with O'Donnell, Lyons and McNulty on the bench. Hardly the strongest side.
    Well its a month to the interpros you're not going to see full strength sides at this stage and you cant say its a weak side considering they haven't played this year yet so we don't know what they'll be like...

Well its a month to the interpros you're not going to see full strength sides at this stage and you cant say its a weak side considering they haven't played this year yet so we don't know what they'll be like...

Its not a full strength side.. thats all i was saying..

• Advertisement

Not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Heard a few of last years Blacrock SCT are heading to Mary's with Peter Smyth. A bit worrying for Irish 20's prospects as hearing coaching team have quit 20's set up, must be selling the dream of senior rugby which I doubt will happen to early especially with early ko in UBL and Inter pros not available till the 3rd game of season. Wonder if it will hurt their prospects? The lads from st. Mary's school not to impressed I am hearing. Will be interesting how that pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Heard a few of last years Blacrock SCT are heading to Mary's with Peter Smyth. A bit worrying for Irish 20's prospects as hearing coaching team have quit 20's set up, must be selling the dream of senior rugby which I doubt will happen to early especially with early ko in UBL and Inter pros not available till the 3rd game of season. Wonder if it will hurt their prospects? The lads from st. Mary's school not to impressed I am hearing. Will be interesting how that pans out.

I've only heard of two Rock lads and one from Michaels going. All interpros. Lads from Marys are actually somewhat excited to possibly be playing with rather than against these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Is this Mary's school or Mary's rugby club they are moving to?

Interesting. Don't see why it would matter what any from the school think.
    Which coaching team have quit 20s?
    Quint2010 wrote: »
    Is this Mary's school or Mary's rugby club they are moving to?
    club.

Mary's Club.

Heard it's a lot more than two and know the lads in Mary's aren't excited about it. My only wonder was that very few if any will go straight into an AIL Division 1a team, very few do. If they are interpro's they well could do but usually towards the end of the season. Without the back of a good 20's set up it is a strange move in my opinion. Could well make sense to most others. All this is on the back of the 20's coaching team quitting including a big name who will remain nameless

Mary's Club.

Heard it's a lot more than two and know the lads in Mary's aren't excited about it. My only wonder was that very few if any will go straight into an AIL a team if any very few do. If they are interpro's they well could do but usually towards the end of the season. Without the back of a good 20's set up it is a strange move in my opinion. Could well make sense to most others. All this is on the back of the 20's coaching team quitting including a big name who will remain nameless
    Which clubs 20s coaches have quit?
    Few will go into a division 1 AIL side straight out of school but in some ways for some players coming out of school would it not be better to play AIL with a division 2 club as an under 19/20 then move to a division 1 club if good enough and play AIL up the grades. Playing at a higher standard

Munster have already played and lost to Italy. Ulster played Malone in a game of 4 20min periods on Saturday and play Italy next Monday. Connacht play Italy tomorrow and the Italians play Leinster Saturday week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Leinster 20S play Exiles tomorrow and Leicester on Sat- both in England

No celebrating the leaving cert result so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DonnellysArm

FrannoFan wrote: »
    The presence or absence of a tight head prop has a massive bearing of how the 20's go generally. Tadhg furlong and Martin Moore provided a platform in previous years. Anyone know if there is a good tight head about this year? The rock prop was massive physically, hopefully he can scrummage.

Apparently Oliver Jager who was the Rock tighthead in 2013 has been taken in by the Crusaders Academy. Are the Kiwis starting to reverse the trend? He might have been a solution for this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Board_man

Have also heard of a number of this years Leinster 20s going to Mary's RFC for next season. (large blackrock contingent)
    Matt gilsenan- Michael's
    Nick Timoney- rock
    David O'Connor- rock
    Jack power- rock
    Zac ohagan- rock
    Conor Oliver- rock
    Greg jones- Andrews
    Sean kearns- rock

Waiting on CAO offers, but have heard of:

Jeremy Loughman
    Fergal Cleary
    Joe Carberry
    Andrew Porter
    and several other of last years Senior cup stars..

All to UCD next year if accepted to college- scholarship papers have been signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Board_man wrote: »
    Waiting on CAO offers, but have heard of:

Jeremy Loughman
    Fergal Cleary
    Joe Carberry
    Andrew Porter
    and several other of last years Senior cup stars..

All to UCD next year if accepted to college- scholarship papers have been signed.

That's a lot of scholarships - Anyone know how many UCD generally offer?

Stainalert wrote: »
    That's a lot of scholarships - Anyone know how many UCD generally offer?

There's 2 scholorships in UCD. The rugby scholorship and the AD Astra elite scholorship from what I've heard. Up to around 10 rugby scholorships are given each year, and roughly 1-3 rugby players will get an Ad Astra scholorship, which is from the university itself not the rugby club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

There's 2 scholorships in UCD. The rugby scholorship and the AD Astra elite scholorship from what I've heard. Up to around 10 rugby scholorships are given each year, and roughly 1-3 rugby players will get an Ad Astra scholorship, which is from the university itself not the rugby club

Would imagine the small print has changed and they are all university scholarships now as rugby scholarships supposedly banned now

Leinster 20s defeated the exiles 48-10.

Actually 64-10

Actually 64-10

I was told that then told it was actually 48-10.
    Wish the website would just do reports on the games.

I was told that then told it was actually 48-10.
    Wish the website would just do reports on the games.

Spoke to 2 players who started and they both told me 64-10 .

• Advertisement

Spoke to 2 players who started and they both told me 64-10 .

Any idea on the team?

I know a few of the lads in the squad but no idea on a full squad.

Andrew Porter, Jeremy Loughman, Hugh O'Donnell, Michael Courtney, Tim Schmidt, Jack McGrath, Eoghan Murphy, Jack Power, Adam Leavy, Mark Sutton, Conor O'Brien, Tom Brady, Greg Jones, Robbie Vallejo..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TomThumb

Yes Leinster won 64 - 10. To add to the squad the starting Front row was Erick O Sullivan, Andy Roche, and Jonathan(JP) Phelan at tighthead. Phelan a big powerful man played full match, Looks a good prospect.
    Any idea on the team?

I know a few of the lads in the squad but no idea on a full squad.

Andrew Porter, Jeremy Loughman, Hugh O'Donnell, Michael Courtney, Tim Schmidt, Jack McGrath, Eoghan Murphy, Jack Power, Adam Leavy, Mark Sutton, Conor O'Brien, Tom Brady, Greg Jones, Robbie Vallejo..

Connacht and Munster under 20s going head to head on Wednesday at 12pm in Annacotty (UL Bohs). Munster then off the Clermont the following Monday to take part in a 4 way tournament with Leicester Tigers academy, Clermont Auvergne Academy and the Georigia national U20 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MagicF

TomThumb wrote: »
    Yes Leinster won 64 - 10..
    Does anyone know the result for today's match against Leicester?

Big win but Exiles are never as strong as 20s as they are at 18s/19s
    Connacht and Munster under 20s going head to head on Wednesday at 12pm in Annacotty (UL Bohs). Munster then off the Clermont the following Monday to take part in a 4 way tournament with Leicester Tigers academy, Clermont Auvergne Academy and the Georigia national U20 team.
    Shame its on in Annacotty and not the University all weather. Pitches in Annacotty are crap. Munster trip to face Leicester et al is just mix of 40 minute games. No full games if its same as last year

I heard Leinster u20s had another big win against Leicester academy on Saturday. They are playing Italy u20s on Saturday 23rd in Ashbourne - don't have a time for that game.

• Advertisement

MagicF wrote: »
    I heard Leinster u20s had another big win against Leicester academy on Saturday. They are playing Italy u20s on Saturday 23rd in Ashbourne - don't have a time for that game.
    That Italian game is at 2.30
    Will be interesting how Leinster get on against that Italian side. Munster lost to them, Connacht beat them and Ulster play Italy today

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭specttator

MagicF wrote: »

reckon that match against Leicester is u19

Tomorrow, Ashbourne RFC will see the Leinster under 20's face Italian under 20's squad at a 14.30pm kick off. See the full squad announcement below...

Leinster Squad:
    POWER, Jack (Blackrock College)
    LEAVY, Adam (St. Michael's College)
    O'BRIEN, Conor (Mullingar RFC)
    CLEARY, Fergal (Clongowes Wood College)
    O'DONOGHUE, Cian (Clongowes Wood College)
    SUTTON, Mark (Newbridge College)
    ROCK, Charlie (Old Belvedere RFC)
    TIMONEY, Nick (Blackrock College)
    THORNTON, Patrick (Terenure RFC)
    MURPHY, Josh (UCD)
    JONES, Greg (St. Andrews College)
    O'CONNOR, David (Blackrock College)
    PHELAN, JP (Newbridge College)
    BOLAND, Jack (Trinity College)
    PORTER, Andrew (St. Andrews College)
    Replacements Bench:
    MCKENNA, Jack (Lansdowne FC)
    O'SULLIVAN, Eric (Templeogue College)
    O'DONNELL, Hugh (Newbridge College)
    MCGRATH, Jack (CBC Monkstown)
    PIM, Sam (Kilkenny College)
    OLIVER, Conor (Blackrock College)
    SCHMIDT, Tim (Terenure College)
    BRADY, Tristan (Blackrock College)
    KEARNS, Sean (Blackrock College)
    BREWER, Harrison (Terenure RFC)
    NOLAN, James (Gorey RFC)

Interesting squad-Loughman/Carberry/Dwan/O'Hagan/Brennan all carrying slight injuries i hear and not included while Michael Courtney tore ankle ligaments in the game against Leicester Academy last saturday and is out for 2 months. Interesting to see Jack Boland at hooker who played for Munster 19s last year and is studying at Trinity has declared for Leinster.

Byrne/McCarthy/Ringrose/Dardis/Heffernan not playing interpros while interesting to note that Brewer who was also not supposed to be playing interpros is sitting on bench which I guess is for cover only given the injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Will be interesting how Leinster get on against that Italian side. Munster lost to them, Connacht beat them and Ulster play Italy today

Ulster drew 12-12 with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Tomorrow, Ashbourne RFC will see the Leinster under 20's face Italian under 20's squad at a 14.30pm kick off. See the full squad announcement below...

Leinster Squad:
    MURPHY, Josh (UCD)
    Replacements Bench:
    NOLAN, James (Gorey RFC)

Interesting squad-Loughman/Carberry/Dwan/O'Hagan/Brennan all carrying slight injuries i hear and not included while Michael Courtney tore ankle ligaments in the game against Leicester Academy last saturday and is out for 2 months. Interesting to see Jack Boland at hooker who played for Munster 19s last year and is studying at Trinity has declared for Leinster.

Byrne/McCarthy/Ringrose/Dardis/Heffernan not playing interpros while interesting to note that Brewer who was also not supposed to be playing interpros is sitting on bench which I guess is for cover only given the injuries.

Is Tim Schmidt son of?

Leinster Squad:
    MURPHY, Josh (UCD)
    Replacements Bench:
    NOLAN, James (Gorey RFC)

Good to see plenty from last years irish 20s squad not playing. More chances for others.
    Hopefully we'll see clubs that all those just leaving school will be joining soon enough.
    bilston wrote: »
    Ulster drew 12-12 with them.
    Interesting. Leinster should beat the Italians..
    bilston wrote: »
    Is Tim Schmidt son of?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Good to see Charlie rock playing, really liked him at 9. More impressive than the michaels 9 who got academy in my opinion. Power at 15 is interesting, was hoping to see him at 13. Not many clubs reps involved,thought we would see a rise in their representation. Jury still out on Dempsey as academy manager-wonder does he have a say in 20's line up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Leinster u20s beat Italy u20s 43-10.

EDIT: Wait, I'm not sure who won. The score was 43-10 though.

• Site Banned Posts: 9 SillySimon

Ulster u20 beat the exiles 78-0.

It will be Leinster vs Ulster. Fancy Ulster to do it this year.

Hagz wrote: »
    Leinster u20s beat Italy u20s 43-10.

EDIT: Wait, I'm not sure who won. The score was 43-10 though.
    It was Leinster.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Good to see Charlie rock playing, really liked him at 9. More impressive than the michaels 9 who got academy in my opinion. Power at 15 is interesting, was hoping to see him at 13. Not many clubs reps involved,thought we would see a rise in their representation. Jury still out on Dempsey as academy manager-wonder does he have a say in 20's line up.
    Disagree on the 9s. Rock is a v good player but not ready for academy yet. May be different at end of season
    There isn't huge number of youths involved but the schools were so strong at this age its not a surprise. Would imagine academy coaches would have some role in line up.
    SillySimon wrote: »
    Ulster u20 beat the exiles 78-0.

It will be Leinster vs Ulster. Fancy Ulster to do it this year.
    Wouldn't be so sure it will be Leinster v Ulster.

Will be interesting to see how Munster go against Clermont, Leicester and Georgia in France this week.

• Site Banned Posts: 9 SillySimon

I am sure, Munster will be fine but don't have as much talent as Leinster or Munster.

Leinster would be heavy favourites if they had there academy lads.

Charlie Rock is a good player but tiny, cant see him making the academy setup.

No obvious clubs players missing, O'Brien is a serious player though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The match, which took place in Ashbourne RFC, was the last for the Italian side on their tour of Ireland. In the early exchanges Leinster took a 5-0 lead through a Jack Power try, however, the Italians fought back and were 10-5 up after 14 minutes. This would be their last score of the game.

The Leinster U-20s went into half-time 12-10 up after Jack Boland crossed the whitewash and his try was successfully converted.

Leinster began the second half as they ended the first and went on to score four more tries, with Adam Leavy, Cian O'Donoghue, Josh Murphy and Conor Oliver all putting five points on the scoreboard. Each of their tries were converted by Mark Sutton to leave the Leinster U-20s as comfortable 43-10 winners on the day.

Conor Oliver did not play. That try was scored by Nick Timoney.

• Advertisement
Advertisement