Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I cycled to the shop - my first time on the Look since November when I stripped it down completely. A very unusual thing happened though, not one but two cars in a row (not directly following each other, ~30 seconds apart) gave me loads of space. The most unusual thing about it, both were BMWs with one being obnoxious X5.
    Pfft, next you'll be saying they used their indicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

After a few days of using a very unsmart vintage exercise bike, I took to the local roads this morning on the good bike. Despite being in the inner suburbs, I managed to avoid too many traffic lights and enjoyed two 10km circuits inside the 2km limit in about 50mins. With so few cars about, I got stuck at a few sets of lights and had to position the bike over the induction loops to get a green light. Along the canal I was waved down by a jogger and was expecting to be berated for some infringement but all she wanted was some advice on local cycling circuits. Back on the exercise bike in the back garden for the next few days but with another freedom break to look forward to on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Got 20km in my 2km limit today. Really enjoyable 45 mins or so out. Noticed on Strava that there's a lot more big cycles going on now though, so I wonder are people beginning to stray from the restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Weepsie wrote: »
    It may very well be the best TV show there is at the moment, and of the last few years. Some people are dissappointed it's not Breaking Bad, but that's kind of the point. Nice and slow like the Wire.

I gave up trying to watch after 5 minutes... I couldn't hear what Huell and Jimmy were saying! Ended up sticking on GCN for an hour and a virtual climb with Matt Stevens and in the Dolomites.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm on Santa's good list (essential worker), 4KM each way each day. Roads are nice like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

3rd day in a row of cycling to work, which I had intended doing anyway. Just under 10km to work with a slight detour en route home being 20km. At least I'm getting out anyway no matter how short the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Took the turbo out to the back garden this morning and tried Rouvy for the first time, didn’t face TrainerRoad kicking my ass for 2 hours.

Went for Rouvy instead of zwift as it has real videos, was nice to do something different but like zwift I wouldn’t pay for it. I’m using a Tacx flux, I didn’t really find the gearing I was using for the onscreen gradients very realistic, almost as if you had no momentum so was always in a smaller gear than I’d expect.

I though the resistance would completely ease off on downhill sections but it didn’t really, couldn’t get into a big gear without putting out big power. Does the likes of the Neo with downhill simulation handle this any better?

Another day, another hour on the exercise bike in the back garden. Finally worked out that I did the equivalent of 25km on a regular bike but that's about as smart as it gets. Discovered that a tail wind may not have any physical benefit but it certainly has a psychological one. Must remember to face it downwind on future rides :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Yesterday I did a structured 90mins turbo session then inside for some outdoor clothing & did 37km just about on the limit of my 2lm radius.

All perfectly fine & within limits bar one part which was just outside but not by much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Got 20km in my 2km limit today. Really enjoyable 45 mins or so out. Noticed on Strava that there's a lot more big cycles going on now though, so I wonder are people beginning to stray from the restrictions

Course they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

For the life of do not understand cyclists posting stuff up on strava at this time continue the way it is going then no surprise to see cycling for other than work stopped .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

For the life of do not understand cyclists posting stuff up on strava at this time continue the way it is going then no surprise to see cycling for other than work stopped .

Selfish people also tend to lack self awareness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

[quote="dahat;113061214"did 37km just about on the limit of my 2lm radius.
    [/quote]

I don't think 37km falls under brief, doesn't matter if you do loops but try keep it brief if you can

#stayindoors
    #safelives

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

I'm seeing quite a few cyclists out around Howth hill over the last couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I don't think 37km falls under brief, doesn't matter if you do loops but try keep it brief if you can

#stayindoors
    #safelives

I'm on the turbo 5 days per week & it's 1hr 20mins on the road, that's brief in my eyes. That loop is the absolute maximum I'll do as I feel its within boundaries. I need thus brief release from work stress etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

dahat wrote: »
    I'm on the turbo 5 days per week & it's 1hr 20mins on the road, that's brief in my eyes. That loop is the absolute maximum I'll do as I feel its within boundaries. I need thus brief release from work stress etc.

Ah so if your stressed from work then it's OK. Look we're all in the same boat, its only for a short while so either do 6 turbo days or a brief 30 minute spin. Or please just don't post your spins here as its depressing to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

#stayindoors
    #safelives

"Brief" is not mentioned on the government website in the document last updated on 1st April linked below.

"to exercise within 2 kilometres of your house. You cannot exercise with people from outside your household"

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

"Brief" is not mentioned on the government website in the document last updated on 1st April linked below.

"to exercise within 2 kilometres of your house. You cannot exercise with people from outside your household"

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/

Surely not everything has to be defined and people can use some common sense in these circumstances. If everyone was out cycling for 37km a day (or the waking equivalent), our streets would be full of people. It’s limited to 2km from your home and no-one envisages people doing lap after lap with the 2km radius. The instruction is to “stay at home”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

First cycle since the "lockdown"

By the numbers:

57 minutes 45 seconds

4.24 miles

Avg. speed 4.4mph

72ft of elevation

And seemingly infinite stops to try and convince my 7 year old that "gear 6" is not "the best gear"

Not telling ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Etc wrote: »
    I'm seeing quite a few cyclists out around Howth hill over the last couple of days

we've a hill with a slope like Alpe D'Huez within 2km of the house. I think 20 runs up and down it should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

45mins round my 2km in dublin city centre. Traffic lights are a nuisance, constantly stop start. Need to find an anti-clockwise loop with no lights in Dublin 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

retalivity wrote: »
    45mins round my 2km in dublin city centre. Traffic lights are a nuisance, constantly stop start. Need to find an anti-clockwise loop with no lights in Dublin 8!

Just roll over the sensor if you can (are the first in the queue), they should change instantly if there is no traffic around

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not if you're on a bike with too little ferrous material in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Where are these sensors located?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There are induction coils under the road at many junctions, usually visible where you see rectangles defined by thin lines of tar just behind the stop line. They would usually be triggered by a mass of steel sitting above them waiting at the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Mc Love wrote: »
    Just roll over the sensor if you can (are the first in the queue), they should change instantly if there is no traffic around

I think a cyclist and bike aren't heavy enough. We figured this out at home that even a group of cyclists weren't enough to trigger them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I'm a cyclist, so not trying to stir.

Out for a short stroll yesterday and a lad went past me at ful tilt, this is a residential area, not remote at all, panting and actually spat as he went past. Middle aged. Beyond obnoxious.

I'm a cyclist, so not trying to stir.

Out for a short stroll yesterday and a lad went past me at ful tilt, this is a residential area, not remote at all, panting and actually spat as he went past. Middle aged. Beyond obnoxious.

That wasn't a cyclist. It was an asshole riding a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have a nice loop that's within my 2km radius around Portmarnock. It's a nice loop really, a couple of little hills, quiet roads for a lot of it. I aim for an hour in the mornings before work and it's such a good way to start the day. For the most part drivers I encounter are courteous, but there I've had a surprising amount of aggression still on the empty roads. It's a shame really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement