Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

ToThe back tube failed and I can't replace it because bicycles are not essential items, except it is to me. Edit. So no cycle today, I was replacing my puncture stuff to the drawer when I spotted some shoe goo. It is the joint between tube and valve that failed so I applied some goo and here's hoping for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The back tube failed and I can't replace it because bicycles are not essential items, except it is to me.

All bike shops are entitled to open on an emergency basis, for essential work (to keep you on the road, not to sell you stuff that you fancy, rather than need).

Not all are doing so, but many are - check your LBS's website or FB page, to see what to do (usually, phone to arrange an appointment, so you don't end up in the shop with others when dropping off/collecting).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

ToThe back tube failed and I can't replace it because bicycles are not essential items, except it is to me. Edit. So no cycle today, I was replacing my puncture stuff to the drawer when I spotted some shoe goo. It is the joint between tube and valve that failed so I applied some goo and here's hoping for tomorrow.

What kind of tube do you need?
    Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Quote positron.
    Like it's been said already, really nice to ride around with light traffic, loads of families on bike, great to see the joy in little faces. Our favourite canal path beyond the 2k radius, but my kids have been out on their bikes on exploring main roads, ally-ways & fields in the last few weeks. Also not having to tuck your elbows and knees in to avoid scrapping against cars.. and in general people have time in their hands and courtesy and a smile / wave for others... Bliss!!

Only noticed this now.
    I walk regularly around there with Bruce, he loves it. I can let him off his lead. it's within my 2km limit. It's great to have those fields and lane so close to the town.

@Eamon can you walk the whole way over the lane headed down to the Rugby club and cut across the field to the shops at Bryanstown there? I've often passed it on the Bryanstown side and seen people in walking there at the roundabout and wondered where it went. Makes sense now.

• Advertisement

@Eamon can you walk the whole way over the lane headed down to the Rugby club and cut across the field to the shops at Bryanstown there? I've often passed it on the Bryanstown side and seen people in walking there at the roundabout and wondered where it went. Makes sense now.

Yes, the lane goes as far as the rugby field. You can turn right into the fields, and walk around the edges of the fields, it brings you out at the roundabout at the school.
    Originally that lane continued onto the Beamore Road. The hedges are still there, but completely overgrown and boggy and marshy in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

It's the season of Yoyo cycling

Same as yesterday and the day before, the roads are the same, but the weather changes:cool:
    1. 1X Rocky up
    2. 2X Yoyo
    3. 1X Long John
    These are all short climbs ( the names are mine alone ) within a 2 Km radius of home. I may get more ambitious in the next 17 days and rinse and repeat more often, but the cycles will be the same. I like climbing and the roads are mine alone, I do permit well behaved pedestrians as long as they they keep to the edges:P

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Yes, the lane goes as far as the rugby field. You can turn right into the fields, and walk around the edges of the fields, it brings you out at the roundabout at the school.
    Originally that lane continued onto the Beamore Road. The hedges are still there, but completely overgrown and boggy and marshy in places.

I remember as a young fella using the pump at the other end of the lane on Beamore Rd to get a drink and fill our bottles :o

Wonder is that still there and functional? Been ages since I've been over that way on the bike..... job for the morning me thinks !!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just went for a half hour spin around glasnevin and drumcondra and back up towards finglas. beautiful evening, and the roads were nice and quiet.

passed this green area near finglas, it has a curious sunken aspect, divided in two. am curious as to whether there's any rationale.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3854832,-6.2880098,3a,75y,250.64h,80.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snzwA7kJa0rRiScCLxKACZw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

just went for a half hour spin around glasnevin and drumcondra and back up towards finglas. beautiful evening, and the roads were nice and quiet.

passed this green area near finglas, it has a curious sunken aspect, divided in two. am curious as to whether there's any rationale.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3854832,-6.2880098,3a,75y,250.64h,80.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snzwA7kJa0rRiScCLxKACZw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I know exactly where you mean without even opening the map.

There was a quarry a long time ago in Finglas, and the quarry house pub is near so 2+2 =5 and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've already checked the old maps - no quarry marked there, just farmland. where are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

An hour out on the roads within my 2km, trying a few efforts on some hills. Chilly enough out again compared to the start of the week. I was starting to get a bit of colour on the arms and legs but back to arm and leg warmers today. Even had a gilet on for the first lap...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

i've already checked the old maps - no quarry marked there, just farmland. where are you thinking of?

Ah it was somewhere just off the Finglas road it turns out.

Nope it was where Fairwats estate is. Where Premier Square is nearby used to be Merville Dairy and then Premier Daireies. Quarry was behind it there and there is or was an underground river/stream that connects with the Tolkda further on.

random fact - i think - if you walk up old ballymun road from the met building, there's an old house, recently renovated, on the right about 200m up the road. that was the original location of merville dairies, and became the home of the craigie family, the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I know in other places where similar was done, the idea was to have a flat playing surface for kids etc, instead of having a single area with a gentle incline.

No idea if that's what was going on here or not though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

Cracking morning here. Gonna finish up work at 1 and get my first 100km in this year.

where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

where are you based?

an Irish guy in Sweden going by his posts

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

So, yesterday I did 55km, almost 6 laps of the town, all within 2km of the house. Wasn't as boring as I thought it would be, the lack of traffic was a big help though. Tonight was a 29km cycle into work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Garzard

This is long winded so apologies! Hope it's the right thread for it. Was on my way into work this morning and cycling down the Firhouse Road after crossing the M50 bridge (area was mostly empty of traffic) going around 40kph in the bus lane and got pulled alongside by a squad car - Garda on the passenger side called over at me to remove myself from the bus lane and get into the cycle lane atop the kerb.

Anyone familiar with this cycle lane will know it involves a series of pretty rough bumps after coming down off the bridge, and there's at least one bus stop along the way where buses have to cut across the lane to take on passengers, and the kerbed sections of the lane are bad lately with increased numbers walkers, joggers etc. using them. While I use the bus lane for a few moments to avoid the raised sections for the above reasons, I always return back to the cycling lane where the kerbs end.

I tried pointing out to him also that several joggers plus parents and kids were in the cycling lane further back and even had one person jogging the wrong way up the cycle lane on the Ballycullen Road a few minutes previously who didn't move out of the way. The Garda wasn't having any of it though so felt I had no choice but to comply. Had to stop, dismount and pull the bike onto the kerb - they slowed nearly to a halt up ahead of me, apparently to keep an eye on me and make sure I did.

Not sure whether or not I'm right to feel annoyed. I wish I'd have been more assertive but when put on the spot like that especially by a Garda, it can be hard to argue your case.

the bus lane is explicitly a cycle lane and bus lane there - the off-road cycle lane is provided in addition to the one in the bus lane.
    you were already in a cycle lane, the garda was talking ****.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2877607,-6.3270006,3a,75y,67.2h,85.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEIK73W1IsrPvcH8NP1udiQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Garzard wrote: »
    This is long winded so apologies! Hope it's the right thread for it. Was on my way into work this morning and cycling down the Firhouse Road after crossing the M50 bridge (area was mostly empty of traffic) going around 40kph in the bus lane and got pulled alongside by a squad car - Garda on the passenger side called over at me to remove myself from the bus lane and get into the cycle lane atop the kerb.

Anyone familiar with this cycle lane will know it involves a series of pretty rough bumps after coming down off the bridge, and there's at least one bus stop along the way where buses have to cut across the lane to take on passengers, and the kerbed sections of the lane are bad lately with increased numbers walkers, joggers etc. using them. While I use the bus lane for a few moments to avoid the raised sections for the above reasons, I always return back to the cycling lane where the kerbs end.

I tried pointing out to him also that several joggers plus parents and kids were in the cycling lane further back and even had one person jogging the wrong way up the cycle lane on the Ballycullen Road a few minutes previously who didn't move out of the way. The Garda wasn't having any of it though so felt I had no choice but to comply. Had to stop, dismount and pull the bike onto the kerb - they slowed nearly to a halt up ahead of me, apparently to keep an eye on me and make sure I did.

Not sure whether or not I'm right to feel annoyed. I wish I'd have been more assertive but when put on the spot like that especially by a Garda, it can be hard to argue your case.

Gard is a bollix.

1. There's twitter video of a Dublin Bus nearly killing a cyclist there, around last year.
    2. The GAA pitches write it off half the time as its full of kids and parents, much safer on the road
    3. Its a roller coaster
    4. The roads are empty so what difference does it make?
    5. You're entitled to be there.

My answer would be when Gardai get off their arse and enforce the cycle lanes I'll consider using them, maybe in politer terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Garzard

Exactly as I thought. Have never had this before, and ironically it was a Traffic Corps vehicle.

I think I'd have been getting a lift from them in that situation :o

You're perfectly entitled to use a bus lane for cycling as far as I understood or recall the RTA (tired and can't be bothered to look it up ) and even the road even when a cycling lane is provided. Maybe the Garda misunderstands what a mandatory cycling lane is or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Cycling home from work today through a North Dublin village, I had filtered through a small number of cars so I could make a right turn, old boy in his maybe late 50/60's in a dark navy 08 Corolla had his window open as I passed him, didn't notice anything else, so I positioned myself in the box for turning right, as the old boy in the Corolla passes me he sneezed (at me?)

Now I shouted at him, almost pursued him also and there's a Garda station close by...

I wasn't sure if I should have went to the station and reported it or not...

Are we as cyclists going to see things like this occuring more frequently on the roads? When we are cycling that someone pulls up beside you and sneezes? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Garzard wrote: »

Very aggravating alright. It's worth learning off the following road traffic act amendment from August 2018 should you meet these guards again, or others with the same out of date information.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2018/si/321/made/en/print

Statutory Instrument No. 321 / 2018 is the key reference number for you to quote to whomever needs it.

Easy one to remember, especially for anyone who remembers the old BBC (ITV?) game show with "Dusty Bin" :pac:

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Cycling home from work today through a North Dublin village, I had filtered through a small number of cars so I could make a right turn, old boy in his maybe late 50/60's in a dark navy 08 Corolla had his window open as I passed him, didn't notice anything else, so I positioned myself in the box for turning right, as the old boy in the Corolla passes me he sneezed (at me?)

Now I shouted at him, almost pursued him also and there's a Garda station close by...

I wasn't sure if I should have went to the station and reported it or not...

Are we as cyclists going to see things like this occuring more frequently on the roads? When we are cycling that someone pulls up beside you and sneezes? :eek:

Given his advanced years, maybe all his faculties aren't intact.
    Make allowances for old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Given his advanced years, maybe all his faculties aren't intact.
    Make allowances for old age.

Not so old as to not know what he was doing..

It was the timing of it as he passed me which made me think it was deliberate.

I will certainly be more conscious of close passing cars/vans now in case of malicious sneezers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

On my cycle this morning, there was a guy walking towards me on the footpath and he walked into the driveway of a house and stood there about 3 meters from me as I passed and then continued on their way. Surely he should have waited for my trail of germs to follow me before continuing. Just found it slight amusing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement