Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Brings a tear to my eye every time I see this story... yet I read it every time and each read has the same effect on me. Having 3 young kids myself and knowing that 2 of them are now at the age where they are using pedestrian crossings on their own.. and knowing that every day we see the same sh1te of idiots going thru red lights..

I do not know what kind of stupidity people have to think it is in anyway acceptable to drive thru a red light and even more so a pedestrian crossing. Personally I think people doing this should be chased down and dragged from their car... best not say what should happen next!

I know I've read that before but I'm properly welling up at my desk after reading it again. The grace of the bereaved family is staggering.
    RIP little Cian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Its heartbreaking and enraging. The impunity, ignorance and entitlement of motorists is a stain on society.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I do not know what kind of stupidity people have to think it is in anyway acceptable to drive thru a red light and even more so a pedestrian crossing. Personally I think people doing this should be chased down and dragged from their car... best not say what should happen next!

I could understand it if you arrived at a pedestrian crossing with a red light and there was no-one around but to drive through it when there's a child standing there waiting to cross... The problem isn't so much breaking the red light, it's the total lack of awareness of other road users. Even if he had a green light, he should have been slowing down somewhat in anticipation of a possible situation. Sounds like he didn't do that in this case as if he did, the child might still be alive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Stark wrote: »
    I could understand it if you arrived at a pedestrian crossing with a red light and there was no-one around but to drive through it when there's a child standing there waiting to cross... The problem isn't so much breaking the red light, it's the total lack of awareness of other road users. Even if he had a green light, he should have been slowing down somewhat in anticipation of a possible situation. Sounds like he didn't do that in this case as if he did, the child might still be alive.

100%. it is one of the basic tenants of half decent driving. You see kids at a junction/crossing, whether you have right of way or not, you slow down and be prepared to drop anchor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

CramCycle wrote: »
    100%. it is one of the basic tenants of half decent driving. You see kids at a junction/crossing, whether you have right of way or not, you slow down and be prepared to drop anchor.

I cannot understand why anyone would go through a red light when on the road.

Once the kid puts his foot on the road , they have the right away.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    <Mod Note> Alright. Think we can leave the SUV chit chat aside now as it's way off topic.

Can I get a slight return?

https://twitter.com/Filly_10/status/1184087556666875904

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Stark wrote: »

I mentioned on another thread that when I was in France recently using a borrowed bike, the difference between driver behaviour there and here was staggering.

In places where the bike path crossed from one side of the road to the other via a pedestrian crossing I didn't even get to the crossing before drivers stopped for me.

The idiots here ploughing through crossings where people have green man to cross really are an embarrassment to the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Duckjob wrote: »
    I mentioned on another thread that when I was in France recently using a borrowed bike, the difference between driver behaviour there and here was staggering.

In places where the bike path crossed from one side of the road to the other via a pedestrian crossing I didn't even get to the crossing before drivers stopped for me.

The idiots here ploughing through crossings where people have green man to cross really are an embarrassment to the race.

I did an Erasmus year in Germany. I stayed on a university campus and used to cycle about 10km along the main A5 motorway in a dedicated and separate cycle way. The bike lanes crossed the on and off ramps from the autobahn in several locations.

100% of the time motorists yielded to me - it took me a while to get used to it, but never once did I feel threatened crossing these roads. That was nearly 30 years ago - our motoring centric culture really brings out the worst in people.

Irish people (not to generalise, but it’s been a topic of conversation with myself and some European colleagues) lack sense of personal responsibility and are generally reckless. They can also personalise issues and can be quite childish in their behaviour. Dangerous traits when it comes to driving, and it’s all too evident daily on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Its gone really bad, when cyclists started to go through the lights and preached its ok to do when safe, some motorists are going to do the same thing.
    'Are going to do the same thing'? Are you really trying to spin law-breaking by motorists as being caused by cyclist responses in these social media debates?

There's a few decades of mayhem on the roads caused by speeding and drinking motorists waiting to contradict you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Had a van behind me on George's street this morning and the spidey senses starting tingling - could hear the low gear, crawling along behind and to my right, nothing ahead of him. Definitely on the phone. He eventually passes, when he manages to figure out how to multitask and get into second gear, and I see whats up. He's got his headphones in and he's having a facetime call. In a company van. From a very well-known, and nearby, food hall/restaurant.

At the next set of lights I asked him to put the phone down. He replied "Why?", i.e. "I don't care". Then he saw the camera and and panicked, ended the call. Good to know he doesn't care about anyone else on the roads, but the risk of being caught by a cyclist with a camera, who might* just email the pics to his employer immediately, is what worries him and makes him stop. Prick.

*did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Had a van behind me on George's street this morning and the spidey senses starting tingling - could hear the low gear, crawling along behind and to my right, nothing ahead of him. Definitely on the phone. He eventually passes, when he manages to figure out how to multitask and get into second gear, and I see whats up. He's got his headphones in and he's having a facetime call. In a company van. From a very well-known, and nearby, food hall/restaurant.

At the next set of lights I asked him to put the phone down. He replied "Why?", i.e. "I don't care". Then he saw the camera and and panicked, ended the call. Good to know he doesn't care about anyone else on the roads, but the risk of being caught by a cyclist with a camera, who might* just email the pics to his employer immediately, is what worries him and makes him stop. Prick.

*did

They'll probably just tell him to be more subtle in future. I don't have any confidence in these sort of companies upholding these sort of driving standards, except on written statements when they're getting into potential trouble.

If they had the right company culture he wouldnt have been doing it in The first place.

'Are going to do the same thing'? Are you really trying to spin law-breaking by motorists as being caused by cyclist responses in these social media debates?

There's a few decades of mayhem on the roads caused by speeding and drinking motorists waiting to contradict you.

I never mentioned anything about drink drivers and that's such a different topic

I am not saying cyclists caused it, I am saying over the last 3-4 years the amount of cyclists going through red lights and saying its ok once safe has increase massively and this has now spread to motorists.

Its a social thing in Ireland, if Y can do so can X.

Basically there is very little respect on the Irish roads today.

Duckjob wrote: »

But what you should also mention is that pedestrians, cyclists and motorist all show respect to each other in France, the three don't do that here.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The charter states:
    There are lots of places on the internet where you can have a rant about cyclists. This isn't one of them. This is a place for people with an interest in cycling to discuss cycling. If you treat it as a venue for holding all cyclists to account for perceived or actual misbehaviour by some, you can expect to find your access swiftly removed. In short, we are not your punching bag. If you really do want do want an answer to your gripe, do a search. The usual topics, such as cycle lanes, cycling two abreast etc. have been discussed, ad nauseam, many, many times before

Also, the OP contains the following mod warning:
    Anyone else starting to discuss red light jumping or otherwise trying to change the topic into a discussion of cyclist behaviour can expect mod action

Any questions PM me

The thread is here for people to discuss their near misses. This thread, and indeed the forum as a whole, isn't a venue for nitpicking at cyclists behaviour, either at an individual or a general level. If that's all you're here for, you should go elsewhere.

@average_runner, do not post in this thread again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Car pulled out of a Cirkle K on the N11, watching the traffic in the driving lane, he went straight through the footpath and bike path without once looking at them, or in fact to his right to see were there pedestrians. The look of confusion and anger as I roared at him, he genuinely looked as if i had teleported to where i was, he went to shout back but his simple mind could not process where the 184cm tall tubmeister with a 300Lumen light came out of?!?

Later down the road, car waiting at red turning light got bored and drove through as kids were still crossing, and a bike was coming up her inside. Bike stopped and kids got clear but FFS. She had stopped, it is not like she misread the lights, she simply didn't care and drover through once the 15second attention span of most instagram users disappeared.

I never mentioned anything about drink drivers and that's such a different topic

I am not saying cyclists caused it, I am saying over the last 3-4 years the amount of cyclists going through red lights and saying its ok once safe has increase massively and this has now spread to motorists.

Its a social thing in Ireland, if Y can do so can X.

Basically there is very little respect on the Irish roads today.

Utter garbage. You may as well claim that the lawlessness of pedestrians crossing against lights has 'spread' to motorists.

The epidemic of motorist RLJs is a result of the collapse of enforcement due to austerity cutbacks, decades of failings by government to introduce appropriate traffic control measures such as ANPR, endless media propaganda in favour of the car, appalling road planning and infrastructure that centres the car at all costs, - all resulting in a culture of impunity, entitlement and recklessness amongst motorists that is so pervasive that even the victims end up blaming themselves for the crimes of drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rye Bread

Two this morning along the N4 inbound.

First was just after the Adamstown slip, a 25D pulls alongside me (I thought I was far enough out to prevent this) and almost immediately moves left nearly squeezing me against the kerb, had to slam on the brakes.

Further on then just after the Liffey Valley bridge, I'm in the left hand lane (Actually in the lane, not the mini hard shoulder, which disappears after the bridge anyway.) About to shoulder check for cars merging off the M50 when a Bartons coach steams by me (In the lane, hadn't moved even slightly to the right) millimetres away from killing me. I was in absolute shock and gave an instinctive roar. Never had anything as close.

I know Dublin Bus had been providing cctv footage through GDPR requests, are they still doing this? Will definitely follow up if so. Totally reckless driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Close pass by the Galway Tour Company on the way to work this morning. No reason for it than I can see. Nothing on other side of road and taxi immediately after him left me loads of room. Have sent the company an email with a link to the video of it. Lets see if they respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

xckjoo wrote: »
    Close pass by the Galway Tour Company on the way to work this morning. No reason for it than I can see. Nothing on other side of road and taxi immediately after him left me loads of room. Have sent the company an email with a link to the video of it. Lets see if they respond.

Every time I get something like that I leave a negative review on Google also.

Behind a lady on a Dutch bike in the center of the bus / bike lane just past Ha'Penny bridge. Taxi tailgated her for a while and after getting fed up just brushed past her. Was sure he was going to take her down. Startled her and she gave the taxi man a filthy look when her got to the red light at O'Connell Bridge that he seemed to be in a rush to get to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Rye Bread wrote: »
    I know Dublin Bus had been providing cctv footage through GDPR requests, are they still doing this? Will definitely follow up if so. Totally reckless driving.

Yes I got footage of an incident between myself and a 66x driver in Leixlip afew months back, took stills from it and submitted a complaint DB were pretty responsive but other than your complaint being passed to the garage manager that's all you'll get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Every time I get something like that I leave a negative review on Google also.
    I'll wait and see what their response is before going down that route. I'm an optimist at heart :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Paradicia

Fed up of cars parking outside on the cycle lane beside Glasnevin cemetery. I have to go up on the footpath as there is literally no room with the bus runs and the number of taxis in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Paradicia wrote: »
    Fed up of cars parking outside on the cycle lane beside Glasnevin cemetery. I have to go up on the footpath as there is literally no room with the bus runs and the number of taxis in the morning.

I plonk myself in the middle of the bus lane, the cycle track isn't fit for use between the cars, pedestrians walking and busses stopping and letting passengers out into the cycle track even though they know you are approaching, pedestrians just step off oblivious to the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Paradicia

VW 1 wrote: »
    I plonk myself in the middle of the bus lane, the cycle track isn't fit for use between the cars, pedestrians walking and busses stopping and letting passengers out into the cycle track even though they know you are approaching, pedestrians just step off oblivious to the track.

Yeah, it's chaos in the mornings - especially with kids being back in schools. There was a car blocking the cycle lane letting people out this morning so I had to go up on the path and one of the passengers doors of the cars parked next to the cycle lane opened up onto my path. Scraped my hand badly but didn't come off the bike fortunately enough. I don't normally go up on the path but I didn't feel safe on the road with the amount of cars that were in the bus lane. That road is bumper to bumper by the time you get to the end of the junction and most of the vehicles aren't taxis or busses. There's gardai that patrol that stretch of road but cars still do it on the regular. On the rare occassion I see one being pulled over but that's far and few between. It's completely unsafe to congest the road with the cycle lane along the road, there's not enough space as it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first 'OH ****' moment i've had in ages today - going down newtownpark avenue - the steep bit near the top, and a guy in a blue BMW SUV pulled out from a side road in front of me, spotted me and slammed on, coming to a stop about half a car length out into the road. i was doing 48km/h when i slammed on, would have hit him i reckon if he'd not stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Would anyone here know who this happened to? https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EG4NowWWwAEtw9b?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

VW 1 wrote: »

I tend to use the bus lane there, particularly coming into Autumn as the leaves on the track coming up Glasnevin by cemetery are a genuine danger, similarly the cycle paths on Premier Hill are dodgy but particularly dangerous in Autumn.

I tend to use the bus lane there, particularly coming into Autumn as the leaves on the track coming up Glasnevin by cemetery are a genuine danger, similarly the cycle paths on Premier Hill are dodgy but particularly dangerous in Autumn.

Heading in that way myself this morning. Had to drop the car in for a service in Ballycoolin, threw the bike in the boot and cycled in via Glasnevin. Took centre lane in the bus lane all the way, no issues. About 4-5 cars parked partially on the pavement / cycle track at the cemetery - guy in an audi pulled out and must have seen me. I can only imagine the hassle of using the car park across the road.

But my god I'd forgotten how miserable commuting by car was, even the short journey from my house to the garage.

https://goo.gl/maps/3kq5E6qjqzvrMoy37

I drove legally on the above road i.e. didn't use the bus lane like the other lemmings to go straight on. Indicated left to try get into the correct lane when the time came - would anyone let me in? Not a chance. All belligerently sitting in the bus lane, holding their ground, for fear of a car trying to get in front of them and use the lanes correctly. All blocking other traffic and beeping their horns when I tried to merge into the correct lane. One, two, three cars went by. Oh silly me for using the road legally . Eventually had to barge in in front of a white van man, who naturally went apoplectic. Dropped the car and made it to work in Tara Street in little over half an hour. Oh the misery of car commuting. Why do people bring it on themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Totally agree on the cars in bus lane bit, I either go via glasnevin cemetery, or down ballymun road and mobhi road depending on whether I've to drop the young lad for school. Going down mobhi road and between the Irish school before na Fianna, and the bottom of the bus lane I counted 31 cars sitting in the bus lane at a complete standstill, I can only assume waiting to turn left at the bottom of the hill.

I can cycle to Stephens green in less than 20 mins and run in 35, a car or bus would take quite a few multiples of that, why would anyone ever opt for anything other than getting there under their own steam.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement