Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Did you get his taxi number? You can report him for abusing you i think. Particularly in front of a fare.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-compliments-complaints

I didn't, by the stage he started yelling at me I just wanted to get the hell out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Did you get his taxi number? You can report him for abusing you i think. Particularly in front of a fare.

It specifically mentions they don't want complaints about driving offenses. So it seems pretty useless for that purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It specifically mentions they don't want complaints about driving offenses. So it seems pretty useless for that purpose

Correct. Only clientele or those refused passage incorrectly can use the TFI form. Everything else is traffic watch/gardai in Santry if you wanna go straight to the carriage office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

This guy delibrately blocked me this am, he had only past me 20 secs earlier so was fully aware what he was doing, excuse the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

tnegun wrote: »
    This guy delibrately blocked me this am, he had only past me 20 secs earlier so was fully aware what he was doing, excuse the language.
    Thankfully I don’t get much of that, but I really don’t understand the logic. Presumably these are the same people who would go mental at you for being “in the middle of the road,” so which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

For some reason motorists gravitate towards cyclists. Going up the bus lane towards Blanch Garda station today, as I was shoulder checking to move to the right a Golf came partially into the bus lane, I hit the brakes as I thought they were going left and the bus lane must yield but they went on straight...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I doubt he did it deliberately , probably let go of the stearing wheel to text someone. Happened to me a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You can make a carefully phrased complaint about his behaviour when he has a fare in the car, which they will accept and follow up. Make sure you specifically exclude any traffic offence - you're not complaining about him breaking the law, you're complaining about the threatening behaviour, in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

The time tolerance drivers are allowing themselves after lights turn red is getting ridiculously high.
    I started at green three times today, at three different lights, and three times I had to stop for cars coming at speed with red light turned on at least few seconds earlier.
    I assume this crazy behaviour will not be tolerated anymore in this city, or will it?
    What does a citizen of dublin need to do at this stage to make this stop? It is so clearly ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

similar for me this morning, had to stop and wait at a green while people coming from leopardstown road ran the red to swing down the N11 towards the bray direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Castleknock at Myo's pub this morning. Three motorists (2 cars and a van) edged through the red, across a junction that was now a green man. No body beeped (this seems to be a thing now when cyclists do it), nobody cared. Almost acceptable at this stage "Sure the traffic is mental, what else are you meant to do".

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

queldy wrote: »
    The time tolerance drivers are allowing themselves after lights turn red is getting ridiculously high.
    I started at green three times today, at three different lights, and three times I had to stop for cars coming at speed with red light turned on at least few seconds earlier.
    I assume this crazy behaviour will not be tolerated anymore in this city, or will it?
    What does a citizen of dublin need to do at this stage to make this stop? It is so clearly ridiculous.

Absolutely, i saw an SUV packed full of kids break a read in Kimmage this morning and they barely got out ahead of the advancing traffic on green.

Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I don't think he blocked you, its a bend and lights from the opposite way, might of caused him to move in more.

Also when you over took him, he wasn't that far in compare to the other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Castleknock at Myo's pub this morning. Three motorists (2 cars and a van) edged through the red, across a junction that was now a green man. No body beeped (this seems to be a thing now when cyclists do it), nobody cared. Almost acceptable at this stage "Sure the traffic is mental, what else are you meant to do".

Its gone really bad, when cyclists started to go through the lights and preached its ok to do when safe, some motorists are going to do the same thing.

We are a very sad little country with no respect for any of the rules.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I doubt he did it deliberately , probably let go of the stearing wheel to text someone. Happened to me a few times.

I thought the same but its a slight left bend so if he let go he should of straightened up, I had a quick look for a phone when I passed as I thought the same but didn't see it so was thinking it was deliberate. In fairness typically I get more people giving you room in these situations.

Light jumping is gone to a new level now but a huge amount of it appears to be down to the timing or lack of light synchronization and the councils have a lot to answer for in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

Yesterday evening on Collins ave turning right onto Beaumont rd. a line of four cars and then a Dublin bus went through the red. So, I thought - oh, they must have installed a turn-right filter there ....... they hadn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Near miss this morning where I was the culprit. Cycling past the radisson towards the UCD flyover (at a decent pace) & a girl comes down the pedestrian steps in a hood & doesn't look, I'd been braking to slow down but not enough & she steps into the cycle lane towards the bus stop at which point I have to swerve & I miss her by milimetres.

Mea culpa, I'll have to take it slightly easier there when it's wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I don't think he blocked you, its a bend and lights from the opposite way, might of caused him to move in more.

It was either deliberate or careless driving. It looks deliberate to me and I have seen many drivers do similar.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looks to be getting a bit more mental out there...

https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/status/1183958824329371648

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Looks to be getting a bit more mental out there...

https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/status/1183958824329371648

Yet another "professional" driver.

I had another one these stupid cnuts at the Dublin Airport Roundabout yesterday nearly ramming my back wheel in impatience as I tried to navigate my way thru a short section of heavily flooded road.

Professional drivers my hairy hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Guys make sure you get a camera on your bike or body camera, I was on my way home from work recently in the left of a bus lane inside a cycle path to the right of me is a normal lane for road trafffic non taxi/bus lane.

There was a 40 foot lorry maybe 100 meters behind me that was in the normal bus lane, I was passing on my left a turn into a garage or delivery depot when the lorry proceeded to move into the bus lane then turn left on top of me effectively giving a left hook.

He then shout out the window at me "out of my way" I had to stop suddenly and pull the bike up from between my legs and hop up onto the path. We got into a heated agrument after that I was not happy I almost ended up under his truck he wasn't happy I was shouting at him, at this point he was outside is truck he grabbed me by the collier and proceeded to make physical threats towards me.

TLDR = get a body cam!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

stevek93 wrote: »
    Guys make sure you get a camera on your bike or body camera, I was on my way home from work recently in the left of a bus lane inside a cycle path to the right of me is a normal lane for road trafffic non taxi/bus lane.

There was a 40 foot lorry maybe 100 meters behind me that was in the normal bus lane, I was passing on my left a turn into a garage or delivery depot when the lorry proceeded to move into the bus lane then turn left on top of me effectively giving a left hook.

He then shout out the window at me "out of my way" I had to stop suddenly and pull the bike up from between my legs and hop up onto the path. We got into a heated agrument after that I was not happy I almost ended up under his truck he wasn't happy I was shouting at him, at this point he was outside is truck he grabbed me by the collier and proceeded to make physical threats towards me.

TLDR = get a body cam!

Holy crap, call the gardai, that is physical and verbal assault. Hope your OK, that is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

queldy wrote: »

I think that time has come and gone. Every time I see a car just 'nipping' through a red light that's been red a while, I think of this young lad https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/driver-who-killed-child-6-after-breaking-red-light-jailed-for-four-years-1.3735530

Utterly senseless that there isnt a massive drive to counteract this selfish behaviour.
    stevek93 wrote: »

TLDR = get a body cam!

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I have 2 cameras and experienced a similar road rage incident. I luckily backed off enough so he couldnt make physical contact but he was ready to go. Reported to garda immediately, as it happened 200ft from station. Garda said nothing he could do, so I escalated to sergeant. Turned out he was a cyclist and was very motivated to follow through. Turns out, he didnt follow through. No more replies to emails. It's just not seen as important :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think that time has come and gone. Every time I see a car just 'nipping' through a red light that's been red a while, I think of this young lad https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/driver-who-killed-child-6-after-breaking-red-light-jailed-for-four-years-1.3735530

Utterly senseless that there isnt a massive drive to counteract this selfish behaviour.

Really upsets me, I cycle past there every day. People still run the red there, even worse when you can see people waiting to cross. I see it at the junctions with lollipop people getting cut up by the last driver to force through, outside Oatlands college in Stillorgan, cars nip up the bus lane at the pedestrian crossing and through on Red, kids and a lollipop person on the crossing, pretty much daily. I have taught my son not to go on a green man now because the pedestrian lights near our house constantly has people driving through, some even have kids in the car. A motorcyclist once wheelied and over revved to scare the local girls secondary school from starting to cross so he could get through oh his scrambler.

People = Sh1t, and society seems to be okay with that.

It sure felt deliberate he pulled in almost to the kerb driving on the double yellows no other car was that far over. Drivers do cut that corner you can see the point before that where yellow lines worn off at the apex of the bend. He had past the apex and a load of room on his right so had little need to move over he was possibly on a phone and over steered other than that I see no reason for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It sure felt deliberate he pulled in almost to the kerb driving on the double yellows no other car was that far over. Drivers do cut that corner you can see the point before that where yellow lines worn off at the apex of the bend. He had past the apex and a load of room on his right so had little need to move over he was possibly on a phone and over steered other than that I see no reason for it.

It's very common on bends like that and where the road is narrow that cars move into the side more. The bridge in Chapelizod is a prime example of that.

In the vid though, it looks like the car was following the line of the car infront, another common issue is for drivers to follow the taillights in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Its gone really bad, when cyclists started to go through the lights and preached its ok to do when safe, some motorists are going to do the same thing.

We are a very sad little country with no respect for any of the rules.

Do you honestly think that some cyclists breaking red lights are in some way responsible for some motorists breaking lights?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It's very common on bends like that and where the road is narrow that cars move into the side more. The bridge in Chapelizod is a prime example of that.
    The pinch point here is a little further back though.
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    In the vid though, it looks like the car was following the line of the car infront, another common issue is for drivers to follow the taillights in front of them.
    That might explain it alright just latched onto the lights in front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

Also call his employer (if named on lorry) he is a danger to all road users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Brings a tear to my eye every time I see this story... yet I read it every time and each read has the same effect on me. Having 3 young kids myself and knowing that 2 of them are now at the age where they are using pedestrian crossings on their own.. and knowing that every day we see the same sh1te of idiots going thru red lights..

I do not know what kind of stupidity people have to think it is in anyway acceptable to drive thru a red light and even more so a pedestrian crossing. Personally I think people doing this should be chased down and dragged from their car... best not say what should happen next!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement