Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

if I get a response like "you were in the middle of the road" or similar after a motorist has put me in danger I usually just respond with "that's to stop people like you acting the cun_t"

It's not big and it's not clever, but I'm a firm believer in telling people when they are acting like c&nts.

If the reply with an apology or the like, I say "no worries, have a good day."

The big problem is that people don't like the fact that they were driving like cnuts being pointed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

The big problem is that people don't like the fact that they were driving like cnuts being pointed out.

Absolutely, and in most cases they know well that they were driving like that so having a discussion beyond pointing it out is a waste of time and will only increase my own blood pressure. A bit of name calling can be quite cathartic though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

RobbieMD wrote: »

The offences outlined in your post are the offences under section 106 of the Road Traffic Act and perhaps dangerous driving/ careless driving. In your instance, Gardai don’t have a power to arrest and interview the driver. If they want the drivers version, it must be done in a voluntary manner.

Your rear cam doesn’t need to show the registration to be used in evidence. It most likely will still show the circumstances of the incident. People have been convicted of these offences before CCTV became as prevalent as it is now.

Were the Gardai at the accident? Have they spoken to the driver?

Thanks for that. The Garda were not called. I was able to get home and call them. They did not want the details. Said to get myself seen and come in another time. I have since gone in and given an account of the incident, the car details plus the witness contact. I was not asked to make a statement. They will look for some other cctv at the junction (top of Glenamuck Road/Enniskerry Road) . I don't think there is any.

I will see where this goes. I still think it rests on the witness making a statement. They may back out as its such a formal and time consuming thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

Maybe not a near miss - I was coming out of Glenealy, Wicklow this afternoon and was going to turn up Barnbawn Rd just before the railway bridge. I had my arm out indicating that I was going to take the right turn. It's a bit of a bendy road coming up to the turn, I gave plenty of notice that I was going to take the turn, would have been going about 30-35kmph so not going slowly. The driver waited until I stopped indicating and was starting my turn before starting their overtake. They overtook coming up to a blind corner at the bridge where they had no idea if there was a car coming from the other side. Of course a car came from the opposite direction and beeped at the overtaking car. I drive as much as a cycle and it just annoys me when these kind of things happen - no need for it - just wait the 5 seconds for me to take the turn and i'll be out of your way - absolutely no need to overtake in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah but putting your hand back on the bike indicates that you changed your mind about turning. Not like you need that hand to steer or brake :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ofthelord wrote: »
    Maybe not a near miss - I was coming out of Glenealy, Wicklow this afternoon and was going to turn up Barnbawn Rd just before the railway bridge. I had my arm out indicating that I was going to take the right turn. It's a bit of a bendy road coming up to the turn, I gave plenty of notice that I was going to take the turn, would have been going about 30-35kmph so not going slowly. The driver waited until I stopped indicating and was starting my turn before starting their overtake. They overtook coming up to a blind corner at the bridge where they had no idea if there was a car coming from the other side. Of course a car came from the opposite direction and beeped at the overtaking car. I drive as much as a cycle and it just annoys me when these kind of things happen - no need for it - just wait the 5 seconds for me to take the turn and i'll be out of your way - absolutely no need to overtake in this situation.

Had a tool did this to me today at clonee - there’s a bank of ****ty manholes just outside the town. Indicated clearly right that I was moving out to avoid them, but no ball bags keeps coming behind me, almost smoking me when he tries to swerve to avoid the oncoming car.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

ofthelord wrote: »

That's a 90 deg left hander into a 90 deg right hander - completely blind corner on a permanently very busy road. I wouldn't dream of overtaking anyone there under any circumstances. That's unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

That's a 90 deg left hander into a 90 deg right hander - completely blind corner on a permanently very busy road. I wouldn't dream of overtaking anyone there under any circumstances. That's unbelievable

Agreed - it's a ridiculous place to overtake. I take this turn a good bit so I know to give plenty of notice when there is a traffic behind.
    It just annoys the heck out of me.

The vast majority of people are great on the roads.

It just takes the one driver to potentially ruin a day.

I rarely have these bad experiences on the bike, but this did really annoyed me

I'm absolutely fed up of cnuts on motorbikes nearly knocking me down in the bike lanes as they undertake cars.

Harolds Cross on the way out of town is a nightmare for it.

I'm absolutely fed up of cnuts on motorbikes nearly knocking me down in the bike lanes as they undertake cars.

Harolds Cross on the way out of town is a nightmare for it.

I've actually said that to motorcyclists "Don't mind you using the bus lane, just don't be a cnut". Way too many of them using the bus lanes illegally and irresponsibly.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I've actually said that to motorcyclists "Don't mind you using the bus lane, just don't be a cnut". Way too many of them using the bus lanes illegally and irresponsibly.

That's just it. At least take it easy in there and don't barge past.

I've been tailgated a few times in the cycle lane out Wainsfort Road too by bellends on mopeds when traffic is backed up and they won't over take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Dope this morning doesn't quite finish his pointless overtake and pulls left and squeezes me into a kurb, I remind him I'm there with a thump on the car and he looses it. Then gets back in his box when I stop to explain what he did wrong and won't even make eye contact. https://streamable.com/pv2j6

Just had some fckin dope in a vw scirocco nearly hit me while he was speeding up the bus / bike lane outside the old virgin megastore on the south quays. I was indicating right to overtake a cyclist in front of me.

Caught up with him at the lights at the hapenny bridge. He was in no mood for being confronted by a 6’2” cyclist that he’d almost hit. Just stared ahead blankly. Going to look back at the video but he came very close to hitting me-another report for Pearse st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Another 2 this morning, first I was moving along a queue of traffic using the hard shoulder, hard shoulder ends so I move back to the lane but still moving at a fair pace. I didn't see a focus had gotten fed up with the traffic and was half way through a 3 point turn and just as I get him he reverses into my space cutting me off. I didn't even get on the brakes it was that quick I swerved left and he floored it forward but I reckon there was nothing in it. I've always watched for dooring, and cars suddenly pulling left or letting people cross at junctions etc. but never expected to be hit by a car reversing in the middle of a 3 point turn. Then a few minutes later a taxi joining the main road as I'm passing a couple of buses just kept driving at me the guy didn't give two fcuks that he was on a collision course with me and just shrugged his shoulders when I let a roar at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭downtheroad

No chance a near miss through city centre this morning with the extinction rebellion campaigners cycling as slowly as possible and causing traffic to come to a standstill. Plenty of Gardaí (bicycles and cars) accompanying them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No chance a near miss through city centre this morning with the extinction rebellion campaigners cycling as slowly as possible and causing traffic to come to a standstill. Plenty of Gardaí (bicycles and cars) accompanying them.

Usual anti cyclist crap on the likes of thejournal.ie
    https://www.thejournal.ie/cyclists-climate-change-protest-dublin-4845304-Oct2019/

Now before anyone says that I BIKE Dublin are doing the wrong thing, remember that the Netherlands is only the way it is now because people protested in the 70's.
    Blocking entire roads
    main-qimg-c41cd9710dd2946b218264863f913073

Stuff has to change and protests have to happen, its clear its not going to improve otherwise

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I think this should happen more often

hah the Journal is gone into overdrive. Probably lots of plebs who were queuing futilely at midnight for the last drop of fuel before the budget hike.

hah the Journal is gone into overdrive. Probably lots of plebs who were queuing futilely at midnight for the last drop of fuel before the budget hike.

Absolute morons. The drive down to the filling station probably cost more in fuel than the few cents they were going to save.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i filled up that evening; not because of the price hike, but because i needed to. the filling station was like a graveyard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Cabaal wrote: »
    Usual anti cyclist crap on the likes of thejournal.ie
    https://www.thejournal.ie/cyclists-climate-change-protest-dublin-4845304-Oct2019/

Now before anyone says that I BIKE Dublin are doing the wrong thing, remember that the Netherlands is only the way it is now because people protested in the 70's.
    Blocking entire roads
    main-qimg-c41cd9710dd2946b218264863f913073

Stuff has to change and protests have to happen, its clear its not going to improve otherwise

Tediously predictable how the headline is "Cyclists blocking traffic...." as opposed to something like "IBIKE Dublin blocking traffic" or even "Active travel campaigners blocking traffic..."

I suppose it's that easy to stir up the halfwits in the comments there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭downtheroad

eeeee wrote: »
    I think this should happen more often

If this happened once a week it would surely help bring about change.

However ibike used to form a weekly human and bike barrier along several cycle lanes that ate routinely blocked by vehicles, Westland Row and Rathmines are 2 I remember. I think it was every Tuesday morning, they'd pick 1 and stop vehicles from parking in them. Don't see the blockades any more, still see the vehicles blocking the lanes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Absolute morons. The drive down to the filling station probably cost more in fuel than the few cents they were going to save.

Well if they needed to fill it they were saving.

Petrol stations were very quiet in what I saw

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

Nearly got creamed by a girl in a car texting as she navigated a roundabout in the Phoenix park this morning. I tapped of her car as she cut into the cycle lane. She didn't notice.
    I caught up with her a few meters down the road and she dropped her phone and apologetically shrugged. I don't think she realised what nearly happened.
    Got me agitated and I hate cycling like that. I generally ignore bad behaviour by all to keep myself calm but the last few weeks have had a few too many near misses.
    Rant over;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Feck all helmets and high-viz.
    They are a dangerous bunch!

I’ve taken the advice from the journal comments and started wearing a hi vis vest. I’m also heading to DCC later to enquire about paying “road tax” for my bike. It’s all these incremental steps that’ll help fight climate change.

I’ve taken the advice from the journal comments and started wearing a hi vis vest. I’m also heading to DCC later to enquire about paying “road tax” for my bike. It’s all these incremental steps that’ll help fight climate change.

Let us know how you get on, I'm sure DCC will be happy to accept your money based on your bikes emissions and due to the hi viz you'll never have somebody nearly kill you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Depressingly, they were all "bleedin coyclists" comments, no word about the climate crisis. But perhaps the only climate crisis they know of is the climate control button in their SUVs.
    If this happened once a week it would surely help bring about change.

However ibike used to form a weekly human and bike barrier along several cycle lanes that ate routinely blocked by vehicles, Westland Row and Rathmines are 2 I remember. I think it was every Tuesday morning, they'd pick 1 and stop vehicles from parking in them. Don't see the blockades any more, still see the vehicles blocking the lanes though.

They've been happening again - a few in the cycle lanes in Camden Street and the street leading into it, which are regularly and dangerously fly-parked during rush hour.

• Advertisement

Let us know how you get on, I'm sure DCC will be happy to accept your money based on your bikes emissions and due to the hi viz you'll never have somebody nearly kill you again.

I’ve worked out my “road tax“ bill for my bike should be €2, as the bike weighs about 1% that of my car that costs €200 to tax annually. Might even be cheeky and ask them about a “road tax” refund for. My car that sits on the drive Monday to Friday saving (in my fag packet calculations) 1.5 tonnes of CO2 annually if I was to drive to work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement