Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo games/consoles even more bargain alerts thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

I would recommend a better console for most games but The Witcher looks great on Switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

I had finished Witcher on Xbox and put a lot of hours into it. Bought it on Switch and enjoy playing it handheld and have about 40 hours put into it again. I think its much better in handheld on the smaller screen rather than on a big TV which only exaggerates the lower horsepower on the Switch compared to playing it in high res on xbox. Its a big file, 30+gb, so make sure you have space. I bought hardcopy for that reason and also it comes with a nice map and booklet and a couple of stickers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Definitely, I'd recommend hopping on the complete edition as well as it adds another 60 odd hours (with actual content) to proceedings - it'll solve the 'what am I going to play?' conundrum for a while.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Witcher is an excellent game, but slow to start IMO. You need to really stick with it. The first main area is visually a very dreary, dull place which IMO made it a bit of a pain to get through.

I'd be interested to know how it runs on Switch cause the performance on Xbox wasn't great. I actually have one full expansion to play but I can't play it because I find the 30fps janky performance too annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

awec wrote: »
    The Witcher is an excellent game, but slow to start IMO. You need to really stick with it. The first main area is visually a very dreary, dull place which IMO made it a bit of a pain to get through.

I'd be interested to know how it runs on Switch cause the performance on Xbox wasn't great. I actually have one full expansion to play but I can't play it because I find the 30fps janky performance too annoying.

I originally played it on switch mostly in handheld mode, framerate could significantly drop in docked mode if anything hectic was going on. Recently got it very cheap for PC and to be honest I don't think it looks much better even with maxed out graphics settings. You're absolutely right though I'm struggling through the first area on PC the 2nd time around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Going to wait for the free next gen update for xbox series x and play on there. I got it for 15 quid for the complete edition. It was 10 quid on a sale there recently. They are giving it away on other platforms, but you can't play it on the toilet like you can with the switch :) Really, I got xbox to play these types of games, but to be honest, they can be exhausting. But I have high hopes for Witcher 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

YoshiSays wrote: »
    Going to wait for the free next gen update for xbox series x and play on there. I got it for 15 quid for the complete edition. It was 10 quid on a sale there recently. They are giving it away on other platforms, but you can't play it on the toilet like you can with the switch :) Really, I got xbox to play these types of games, but to be honest, they can be exhausting. But I have high hopes for Witcher 3.

You can play Xbox games on your phone. And PS5 also has remote play.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    You can play Xbox games on your phone. And PS5 also has remote play.

True, but you need decent Internet speed, accounts, logins, passwords, another console, etc etc ... for all that. It's nice to disconnect entirely. I think the Switch is like in Kindle in that respect. You can switch off and focus on gaming without e.g. MS monitoring how many times you jumped in the last 10 minutes and sending you achievements and **** :)

True, but you need decent Internet speed, accounts, logins, passwords, another console, etc etc ... for all that. It's nice to disconnect entirely. I think the Switch is like in Kindle in that respect. You can switch off and focus on gaming without e.g. MS monitoring how many times you jumped in the last 10 minutes and sending you achievements and **** :)
    I admire your capacity to turn a lack of an achievement/trophy system into a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I admire your capacity to turn a lack of an achievement/trophy system into a positive.

Well it's not a negative, surely? It doesn't add anything to the experience.

• Advertisement

I really hate that crap.
    Was having a brilliant time with Ori and Will of the Wisps on Xbox except this ******* crap achievement message would appear.
    Luckily I could turn it off!
    Same for RDR2.
    I want to play a game, not have a pissing contest against the world :):)
    Especially people who have time to play games 24x7.
    Also, it takes you out of the experience.

I love the fact that the Switch is so simple and clean. XBox makes me cry.
    Think they add all this stuff as a way to monitor usage.
    Really, they crunch the stats and produce the "ideal" game.
    This is why they have nothing but FPS Halo clones on there. :)

(edit)
    !!! Also, not a bargain alert topic, my bad !!!!

fixXxer wrote: »
    Not at all but you'd be surprised at the amount of people find that kind of craic central to the modern gaming experience. Also, it gives me an excuse to bring up how awfully Mario Odyssey handled the whole idea of an achievement system - you can get stuck in a text loop for minutes unending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Not at all but you'd be surprised at the amount of people find that kind of craic central to the modern gaming experience. Also, it gives me an excuse to bring up how awfully Mario Odyssey handled the whole idea of an achievement system - you can get stuck in a text loop for minutes unending.

Toadette?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

fixXxer wrote: »

Well MS monetise it, I dont like achievements never been bothered until I realised that MS will give me vouchers for points. Since then I've become a whore for points

current rate is around 100 quid a year, thats free game pass or two free games etc and they give more points when purchasing ( similar to ninty give gold coins)

Toadette?
    Darn tootin'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Less chat, more Bargains!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

City of Brass is under 3 euro in the eshop sale. (Until 28th Feb)

The blurb:

Become a daring thief in City of Brass, a first-person action adventure from senior BioShock developers. Armed with scimitar and a versatile whip, you’ll lash and slash, bait and trap your way to the heart of an opulent, Arabian Nights-themed metropolis – or face certain death as time runs out.

The link:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/City-of-Brass-1505283.html

Gets 75% on Metacritic, I got it, and am currently hopeless at it, but the little bit I managed to play looked okay.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah, no more Bargains!
    I've just bought City of Brass and Ghouls'n Ghosts Ultimate....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Ah, no more Bargains!
    I've just bought City of Brass and Ghouls'n Ghosts Ultimate....

You mean Resurrection? It's on sale?

mrcheez wrote: »
    You mean Resurrection? It's on sale?

No, not as in "It's on sale!"
    But it is for sale...
    If you catch my drift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just as an FYI for those getting the Witcher bargain in Russia - I had the Complete Edition on cart, but it got lost so I got this. The cloud save for the complete edition is not compatible with the normal edition (and even if you get the DLC, I doubt it will be either, as the DLC is under the same game title)

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury 41 stg delivered from amazon.co.uk.brexit.not.eu.god.save.the.queen is 41 stg delivered with all the tax shenanigans sorted. About 47 in euro.yo.yos. delivery date TBD.

A lot of other games not shipping here at all. Including that pikmin 3 for 32 stg.... :(

Also, a good few switch game price drops on Smyths. You might save yourself a fiver or so. And delivery in a day or two. Plus good to support local or less choice in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury 41 stg delivered from amazon.co.uk.brexit.not.eu.god.save.the.queen is 41 stg delivered with all the tax shenanigans sorted. About 47 in euro.yo.yos. delivery date TBD.

A lot of other games not shipping here at all. Including that pikmin 3 for 32 stg.... :(

Also, a good few switch game price drops on Smyths. You might save yourself a fiver or so. And delivery in a day or two. Plus good to support local or less choice in the future.

I see Amazon are up to their new crap of hiding listings for non UK orders with Pikmin 3. It was available last week.

If you switch to a UK address the item will show in search and they'll magically find stock, despite being "Temporarily out of stock" to ship here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I can't help feeling that this could easily apply to this thread.. (For me anyway) :o
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116422118&postcount=9229 Just change pdf to game and read to play.

Suckit wrote: »
    I can't help feeling that this could easily apply to this thread.. (For me anyway) :o
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116422118&postcount=9229 Just change pdf to game and read to play.

Where did you get that picture of my games room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I see Amazon are up to their new crap of hiding listings for non UK orders with Pikmin 3. It was available last week.

If you switch to a UK address the item will show in search and they'll magically find stock, despite being "Temporarily out of stock" to ship here.

Exact same for Trails of Cold Steel IV. They are working desperately hard to get it in stock but available with a UK address, albeit for an eye-watering £54.95 which is c. £13 dearer than other stores. Shop4ie have it for €50.

It is annoying with Amazon as I have vouchers I was saving to spend on the game.

Bravely Default II is also available in the UK but not to here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Argos listed recent switch games but didn't stock any

Little Nightmares II
    Persona Strikers
    Bravely Default II

Sign of the times really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Qubic games are having a big anniversary sale for their 17th birthday. More info here:

https://qubicgames.com/17/

A load of games at either €0.17 or €1.70 each.

Highlights for me are all the bit trip games for €1.70 each (probably cheaper in other regions - I'll check in the morning)

The Bit.Trip titles are a little... uneven, but it is nice to buy the set.
    Certainly, Bit.Trip.Runner is the jewel of the bunch and, at that price, a steal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Mr E wrote: »
    Qubic games are having a big anniversary sale for their 17th birthday. More info here:

https://qubicgames.com/17/

A load of games at either €0.17 or €1.70 each.

Highlights for me are all the bit trip games for €1.70 each (probably cheaper in other regions - I'll check in the morning)

Any good games in there for a 7 year old? Bit trip runner sounds like it gets very hard as you progress through the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Any good games in there for a 7 year old? Bit trip runner sounds like it gets very hard as you progress through the game

Do boards let you post on here even though youre only 7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Rekt is a bit of fun, my neice, who's 6 liked it. Don't really think she progressed in it, but straight forward enough, especially for 17 cents

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Nal wrote: »
    Do boards let you post on here even though youre only 7?

Course they do, just look at the soccer forum.

Bit Trip Runner is hard and very quickly so. So hard, in fact, that they put up a disclaimer saying ‘this game is very hard’ when you first boot up the game. Runner 2 and 3 tone it down significantly with multiple routes/checkpoints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,119 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Advertisement

Pikmin 3 is 41 quid or 40.99 to be exact from Smyths. Set up account for free delivery. Would get this only I have it, hardly played, on WiiU. Just haven't got round to it. Also, CEX only offering 5 quid for WiiU version. Deprecation!

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/top-selling-video-games/pikmin-3-deluxe-nintendo-switch/p/192423

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Oh, Amazon shipping Pikmin 3 to Ireland again. They seem to change their minds so often. I'd get it with Smyths, you'd have it in a day or two and support an Irish business. Unless your 5k from an argos ...

Looks like Nintendo finding it hard to shift Pikmin!

Is Paper Mario like that last Mario game they brought out?

Is Paper Mario like that last Mario game they brought out?
    Bowser's Fury? No, it's an RPG with turn-based combat rather than a platformer.

• Advertisement

Bowser's Fury? No, it's an RPG with turn-based combat rather than a platformer.

Oh thank god I didn't get it, is there any Mario games like that first Switch one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Oh thank god I didn't get it, is there any Mario games like that first Switch one?

Mario Galaxy on the Mario 3D collection is probably the closest thing to Odyssey.

Other than Super Mario Odyssey (2017) you have two Wii U remakes/updates on Switch: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (2019) and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (2021). There's also Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020) which bundles Super Mario 64 (N64 1996), Super Mario Sunshine (GameCube 2002), and Super Mario Galaxy (Wii 2007). I think that's all Mario platformers available unless you want to make your own levels and play user made in Super Mario Maker 2 (2019).

Check out gameplay videos on YouTube to see if any of those are what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Mario Galaxy on the Mario 3D collection is probably the closest thing to Odyssey.

You'd want to be quick with 3D Collection as it is being pulled from digital distribution this month and no more carts are being produced.

Ah yes it was Odyssey that's it, so a game that plays like that I'd want.

I get that collection so, I hated Mario Maker.

Ah yes it was Odyssey that's it, so a game that plays like that I'd want.

I get that collection so, I hated Mario Maker.

Remember Mario 64 and Sunshine are older games. Still good. Galaxy is an absolute classic. But I think you'll need to play docked as you've got to use motion control and it's much better docked.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/16/21433138/super-mario-galaxy-switch-motion-controls-3d-all-stars

Remember Mario 64 and Sunshine are older games. Still good. Galaxy is an absolute classic. But I think you'll need to play docked as you've got to use motion control and it's much better docked.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/16/21433138/super-mario-galaxy-switch-motion-controls-3d-all-stars

I picked it up on the way home from Argos THEN watched a review. :pac:

It's going back tomorrow haha. They didn't even fix the old games. Nintendo. :rolleyes:

I may just wait for Od 2. Thanks lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It's going back tomorrow haha. They didn't even fix the old games. Nintendo. :rolleyes:

So you didn’t even play them? Just watched a review, great logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

Sunshine is a brilliant game, under rated in my eyes. The only real issue with mario 64 is the camera imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Its worth the price for Mario Galaxy alone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement