Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Village87

Missed the match yesterday.

Anyone give an accurate report on who played well ?

How did the midfielders do ?

John Donnelly looked good on the Sunday Game.

How did Deegan & Holden do ?

Richie Leahy ?

Did Buckley improve from last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

piuswal wrote: »
    That's great.

I seem to remember that he played with Na Faughs here in Dublin. Do not think to many KK played outside the county but not sure, its a while ago.

He did. On same team as Niall Quinn's father Billy for a while although he stopped hurling inter county in early 60s.

There was a team called Moondarrig in Dublin who were mostly Kilkenny men. My uncle who played for Bennetsbridge hurled for them when he worked in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Bonniedog wrote: »
    He did. On same team as Niall Quinn's father Billy for a while although he stopped hurling inter county in early 60s.

There was a team called Moondarrig in Dublin who were mostly Kilkenny men. My uncle who played for Bennetsbridge hurled for them when he worked in Dublin.

Billy was one of the toughest full forwards who ever played. He looked a little bit tubby but he gave Michael Maher (one of the hell's kitchen tipp full backs) more than he could handle.

That was a time when Tipp's dominance was underpinned by ruthlessness (we could say dirty) and that kept them at the top until Kilkenny decided they had had enough. In those days, goalkeepers were easy meat and could be buried in the back of the net unless protected by mainly the full back. At that time you had the "Link" Walshe, Pa Dillon, Mick Maher and Nick O'Donnell, no shrinking violets. Pa Dillon played in front of Noel Skehan, and with Pa there, no one was going to touch Noel, and that probably explains why Noel lasted so long and gained 9 All-Ireland medals.

Saying all that, I would rate Noel as one of the top goalkeepers of all time, knew the game well, and consistently played well, with very few off days. Ollie was brilliant too, but prone to make mistakes in over egging his confidence and dropping the ball.

Doesn't Cody come from the history of not letting Tipp bully them.

Dublin should have beaten Tipp in 1961 except Lar lost the plot and got sent off for taking out the wrong Tipperary thug, And that was when you'd nearly have to kill your mother to get sent off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Village87 wrote: »
    Missed the match yesterday.

Anyone give an accurate report on who played well ?

How did the midfielders do ?

John Donnelly looked good on the Sunday Game.

How did Deegan & Holden do ?

Richie Leahy ?

Did Buckley improve from last week?

Murphy solid enough. Great point.

FB line shaky at times again. A better team wouldve made hay.

Delaney outstanding IMO. Looked comfortable on the ball all day. Buckley and Murphy solid.

Lester good first half but seemed to tire early. Maybe lacks game time from the league. Fogarty very quiet. Didnt look 100% to me.

Leahy played well but overcarried at times. Good game from him. Mossy better game this week. More involved with some good runs and scores. TJ quieter than normal but still one of our best.

Donnelly played well. Good work rate. Some good scores and link up play. Blanchfield couldve written his name in lights yesterday. Missed three sitters for goals. Best game for a while though. Scanlon good game. Got some good scores and linked up well.

Fennelly good direct running and some good scores. Surely start next day.

Browne looked lively when he came on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭brookville

It was a case of getting the match out of the way and look we've 2 wins from 2 without reaching any highs.I think we're guaranteed a quarter final spot now.The next two matches will decide if its a leinster final or not.One win from 2 might do us but wexford have galway a week before us so that could be a factor.
    I think if we give a good battling performance next sunday we'll be happy enough.
    Hopefully wally and maher are back for the weekend and morrissey who was sick returns.Itll be a big test but the lads will be up for this.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

We’ve seen all but one team (Waterford) in action in the provincial championships at this stage. Have we anyone to really fear based on the evidence to date? I think not. We beat Dublin by 2 points, so did Wexford, but Pat Gilroy is quoted as saying Dublin never got to the intensity of the previous week. Galway beat Offaly by 12 points and scored five goals. We beat Offaly by 9 points and should easily have scored 5 goals or more and finished with 21 wides. Yes scores on the board are the ones that matter, but we’re not too far behind Galway. Galway conceded 2-15, we conceded 1-13 to Offaly. Galway are not too far behind us in the defensive duties either. You’d expect the reigning All-Ireland champions to be still slightly ahead of a young transitional team, especially playing in their own patch, (all four results yesterday were home wins), and the stats are slightly in their favour, but a week might tell a story. It will be interesting to see if the week off helps or hinders them. The important thing is to continue developing and being competitive.

In Munster, the two teams that beat us in the League Cork and Clare went head to head. Of the two in the league, Cork was the one that probably got away and yet they were the deserved winners against Clare. Tipperary look in bother. Limerick still have ammunition with the Na Piarsaigh lads to return, but that could be a double-edged sword. All in all we are in with a very good shout and we are in bonus territory in 2018. However, we have a lot of impatient supporters to please. One poster has already referred to it. The giving out about lumping the ball down on the forwards aimlessly last year. Now we are playing a different type of game, more high risk for defenders and lads are still complaining. Yes, Joey made two mistakes yesterday, but he wasn’t the only one. Some supporters might have been gone to the toilet when the others erred. We have now won 8 competitive games in a row plus one national trophy. Not bad for a young developing team with a developing game plan. The constant has been the full back line and yet the constant complaints have been about the full back line.

Personally, my main wish for the Leinster Championship is that Offaly beat Dublin and Dublin are relegated. Not that I bear any malice towards Dublin, but I think it might be the factor (because of the money element) that will make HQ rethink the stupid and unfair relegation system in the Leinster championship. I don’t believe if Offaly are relegated it will set alarm bells running with the suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

brookville wrote: »
    It was a case of getting the match out of the way and look we've 2 wins from 2 without reaching any highs.I think we're guaranteed a quarter final spot now.The next two matches will decide if its a leinster final or not.One win from 2 might do us but wexford have galway a week before us so that could be a factor.
    I think if we give a good battling performance next sunday we'll be happy enough.
    Hopefully wally and maher are back for the weekend and morrissey who was sick returns.Itll be a big test but the lads will be up for this.

I think you're correct that the worst place we can finish now is 3rd.

That'll put us through to the preliminary quarter final round though (against either the winner/loser of Joe McDonagh Cup)

Whats the story with tickets sunday is the stand sold out?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Whats the story with tickets sunday is the stand sold out?

Yep, nearly a week ago. Be better off on the terrace. Forecast good and that stand in Pearse Stadium has it's own microclimate, nearly died of exposure in it a few years back!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭usualstripes

citykat wrote: »
    Murphy solid enough. Great point.

FB line shaky at times again. A better team wouldve made hay.

Delaney outstanding IMO. Looked comfortable on the ball all day. Buckley and Murphy solid.

Lester good first half but seemed to tire early. Maybe lacks game time from the league. Fogarty very quiet. Didnt look 100% to me.

Leahy played well but overcarried at times. Good game from him. Mossy better game this week. More involved with some good runs and scores. TJ quieter than normal but still one of our best.

Donnelly played well. Good work rate. Some good scores and link up play. Blanchfield couldve written his name in lights yesterday. Missed three sitters for goals. Best game for a while though. Scanlon good game. Got some good scores and linked up well.

Fennelly good direct running and some good scores. Surely start next day.

Browne looked lively when he came on.

Agree with most of that but you can't say that Buckley was solid. He was ok but this is the 2nd game running when his distribution let him down at times. Hopefully this will all come right.
    I have great time for Lester and always gives 100% but he was a long way off yesterday. His positioning for our puckouts was off as he was between out half back line and midfield as opposed to being up where his man was which on most occasions happened to be where the ball landed. He was probably a little rusty considering the lack of game time he has had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pat Treacy

Looking at Buckley yesterday you would be very worried about next Sunday he was getting into silly arguments with the ref his distribution of the ball was not great, C Delany was like a player was on song his distribution was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭blackcard

There are two scenarios where we can miss out on progressing further. There are 10 games in the round robin series giving a total of 20 points. In scenario 1, Galway win their four games giving them 8 points, Offaly beat Wexford and Dublin, also Wexford beat Kk. You then have three teams on 4 points with points difference coming into play. However Offaly currently have a negative points difference of ~ 20 to Kilkenny's +10 so it would take a big turnaround.
    The second scenario is where Wexford win their four games giving them 8 points, Dublin beat Offaly and Galway, also Galway beat Kk. You then have Galway Dublin and Kilkenny on 4 points with points difference coming into play again. If this occurs, points difference could mean KK progressing no further.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

Agree with most of that but you can't say that Buckley was solid. He was ok but this is the 2nd game running when his distribution let him down at times. Hopefully this will all come right.
    I have great time for Lester and always gives 100% but he was a long way off yesterday. His positioning for our puckouts was off as he was between out half back line and midfield as opposed to being up where his man was which on most occasions happened to be where the ball landed. He was probably a little rusty considering the lack of game time he has had.

If Lester or any midfielder for that matter just follow their man on long puck outs then invariably they will end up positioning themselves on top of the half forwards as most midfielders now sit back on opposition puck outs. This would only lead to less chance of our half forwards winning the puck out so hardly ideal. Difficult to find the balance between being in for the break and not crowding your own half forward line..

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭usualstripes

suirway wrote: »
    If Lester or any midfielder for that matter just follow their man on long puck outs then invariably they will end up positioning themselves on top of the half forwards as most midfielders now sit back on opposition puck outs. This would only lead to less chance of our half forwards winning the puck out so hardly ideal. Difficult to find the balance between being in for the break and not crowding your own half forward line..

You are right to a certain extent but if your marker gets on possession on these puckouts then you have to try something else. If you watched these puckouts you will understand what I am talking about.

blackcard wrote: »
    There are two scenarios where we can miss out on progressing further. There are 10 games in the round robin series giving a total of 20 points. In scenario 1, Galway win their four games giving them 8 points, Offaly beat Wexford and Dublin, also Wexford beat Kk. You then have three teams on 4 points with points difference coming into play. However Offaly currently have a negative points difference of ~ 20 to Kilkenny's +10 so it would take a big turnaround.
    The second scenario is where Wexford win their four games giving them 8 points, Dublin beat Offaly and Galway, also Galway beat Kk. You then have Galway Dublin and Kilkenny on 4 points with points difference coming into play again. If this occurs, points difference could mean KK progressing no further.

Fair play blackcard. I thought I had worked out all the permutations but obviously not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

This post has been deleted.

Interesting that some people want Dublin to be relegated. if we are then it will because we are worst team in the group.

One thing for sure we will not be appealing it. Unlike others who thought it was their god given right to be in division one league.

Interesting that some people want Dublin to be relegated. if we are then it will because we are worst team in the group.

One thing for sure we will not be appealing it. Unlike others who thought it was their god given right to be in division one league.

If the Dubs do go down just shows how competitive it is. Kilkenny win the league, probably should have lost v the Dubs last week

Village87 wrote: »
    If the Dubs do go down just shows how competitive it is. Kilkenny win the league, probably should have lost v the Dubs last week

Isn't that point of championship?

Great games so far other than Tipp not turning up. This structure is best they've come up with so far. Every game is a battle.

• Advertisement

Isn't that point of championship?

Great games so far other than Tipp not turning up. This structure is best they've come up with so far. Every game is a battle.

Im not sure really, like another league for me so far. Munster lacked usual intensity. Ill reserve judgement until later in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

Tipp not turning up.

Highlight of the hurling year so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

But...but...the munster championship..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Embrace the fear citykat ;)

I think every rational thinking GAA fan knows that this would be the best thing to do.
    I would love to see it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I think every rational thinking GAA fan knows that this would be the best thing to do.
    I would love to see it happen

but...but......but...... Munster hurling .................. :rolleyes: :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

So lads whats our thoughts and feelings towards sunday is there many heading up?i know a good few making a weekend out of it.
    I think we'll give a good account of ourselves.I was suprised jason cleere wasnt given a run last sunday as there was talk he was going well.Galway havent done much yet this year but they have 6 very good fowards with size and pace that will cause most teams trouble.If we win sunday people will say we had momentum since the 2nd round of the leauge and if we lose it could be galway were fresher and injuries and fatigue caught up with us but probably better meeting galway now than later in the year either way we'll have a good idea sunday evening where we stand.
    Hopefully wallys injury isnt serious and he was holding him back for sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BORO BILL

So lads whats our thoughts and feelings towards sunday is there many heading up?i know a good few making a weekend out of it.
    I think we'll give a good account of ourselves.I was suprised jason cleere wasnt given a run last sunday as there was talk he was going well.Galway havent done much yet this year but they have 6 very good fowards with size and pace that will cause most teams trouble.If we win sunday people will say we had momentum since the 2nd round of the leauge and if we lose it could be galway were fresher and injuries and fatigue caught up with us but probably better meeting galway now than later in the year either way we'll have a good idea sunday evening where we stand.
    Hopefully wallys injury isnt serious and he was holding him back for sunday

Heard Wally out for a few weeks with quad injury and Ger Aylward damaged his knee in workout against u21s last night. That narrows down forward options.

• Advertisement

danganabu wrote: »

Embrace the fear citykat ;)

I believe the bookies in Thurles got cleaned out last weekend 🀣

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement