Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭launish116

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Awful news. Looks like a good player

Indeed, has loads of potential. Wonder has the bulking up had an effect!

We’re jinxed with forwards!

All these big signings for Leinster/Munster any chance of another forward! We could be so lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

launish116 wrote: »
    Sadly Izzy’s knee looked bad! Has a frame on in a insta picture!

Reid needs fast tracked!

Balls

He is quite a prospect.

To be fair is 8 months not quite short for an ACL? Maybe the science has got better in the few years, but players used to be out for about a year with it in the past. Maybe it depends on the extent of the tear?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

bilston wrote: »
    Balls

He is quite a prospect.

To be fair is 8 months not quite short for an ACL? Maybe the science has got better in the few years, but players used to be out for about a year with it in the past. Maybe it depends on the extent of the tear?

Think Baloucoune was out from August to March with his?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Think Baloucoune was out from August to March with his?

Baloucoune had a hamstring Avulsion which would be different and less predictable than an ACL. Healy was out for 5 months with his. Ryan out for 9. Ultimately it ended Johnny Hollands career

Baloucoune had a hamstring Avulsion which would be different and less predictable than an ACL. Healy was out for 5 months with his. Ryan out for 9. Ultimately it ended Johnny Hollands career

Ah okay, cheers.

Izzy upgraded contract to 2023! Big vote of confidence on someone with little 15s experience let alone the recent sad injury! Looking forward to him getting back. Definitely seems to have the mentality to succeed!

Brilliant. And more announcements, apparently?

Really hope Mathewson is one. Just one more year, 'til Doak and Finlay step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Great contract news for the young man, hope he uses the next 8 months to bulk up and come back like a tank.
    Fingers crossed for his recovery.
    Exciting prospect.

Brilliant. And more announcements, apparently?

Really hope Mathewson is one. Just one more year, 'til Doak and Finlay step up.

We can only hope another loose head/back row....

We can only hope another loose head/back row....

Am I alone in assuming there's no-one else coming in?

Another year for Bradley Roberts or, as Ulster Rugby puts it - "Another year of the mullet 💁*♂️"

• Advertisement

Bill Johnston gone to Ealing as "injury cover on short-term deal".

Might just be a way of getting him to line out for them this season, before joining them officially next.

Bill Johnston gone to Ealing as "injury cover on short-term deal".

Might just be a way of getting him to line out for them this season, before joining them officially next.

Was thinking that also

Good luck to Bill. Good player, and sorry it hasn't worked out as hoped, no one's fault, just loads of competition.

Great news about Izzy, hopefully he gets back by Christmas, when you think of his development this year, his potential is huge.

Great news about Izzy, hopefully he gets back by Christmas, when you think of his development this year, his potential is huge.

Definitely, madness no other provinces picked him up. Just shows you with the right mind set anything’s possible!

Definitely, madness no other provinces picked him up. Just shows you with the right mind set anything’s possible!

What's pleasing about both today's signings is that they're both with us because they've shown a great deal of resilience. Both have been passed over by different teams and organisations, but are both clearly prepared to knock their pans in.

Am I alone in assuming there's no-one else coming in?

Another year for Bradley Roberts or, as Ulster Rugby puts it - "Another year of the mullet 💁*♂️"

Well deserved

He's needed as well with McBurney leaving. Herring will spend a bit of time with Ireland, so that leaves Andrew, Roberts and Stewart.

https://twitter.com/JP_Petrie/status/1383791387540262916?s=20

Also rumour online is that Jack McGrath is getting his hip resurfaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

• Advertisement

Gone for surgery?

Ah cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It was a hip injury that kicked off all his problems back in 2018, I wonder if the same thing has persisted all along?

It was a hip injury that kicked off all his problems back in 2018, I wonder if the same thing has persisted all along?

I'd imagine so. Probably struggling through.

David Pollock had congenital hip issues and ending up getting pain-killing injections before a game, at half-time, and after, so he could go out and play at all. Hip issues seem to be something players try and battle through.

Hendo not guaranteed for Connacht, Izzy to get his ACL surgery next week Angus Curtis back having been injured against Leinster in December 2019!

Would like to see Angus in the Zippy Cup.

https://www.ulsterrugby.com/2021/04/squad-update-19-april-2021/

Hendo not guaranteed for Connacht, Izzy to get his ACL surgery next week Angus Curtis back having been injured against Leinster in December 2019!

Would like to see Angus in the Zippy Cup.

https://www.ulsterrugby.com/2021/04/squad-update-19-april-2021/

Still no word on Carter

• Advertisement

Will Addison fit for Connacht according to Telegraph.

Will Addison fit for Connacht according to Telegraph.

That's fantastic. Still would go Lowry vs Leicester, though.

Every time I read them talking about him, it's clear how much the coaching team rate Curtis.

I know we've had Baloucoune back the last month, but next season in the Pro 14 will be like having three new signings.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/ulster-rugby/hes-ticked-all-his-boxes-will-addison-set-to-make-ulster-return-while-angus-curtis-fit-to-face-connacht-in-rainbow-cup-40332617.html

I've never been blown away by Curtis. But then he has hardly got going so it will be interesting to see how he goes.

What was wrong with him? Concussion?

By the way, I think Curtis might have played 10 for the Ireland U19s ahead of Michael Lowry. Although I may be wrong about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I've never been blown away by Curtis. But then he has hardly got going so it will be interesting to see how he goes.

What was wrong with him? Concussion?

By the way, I think Curtis might have played 10 for the Ireland U19s ahead of Michael Lowry. Although I may be wrong about that.

ACL back in December 2019, pretty similar to what happened to the likes of Leavy in Leinster

• Advertisement

Every time I read them talking about him, it's clear how much the coaching team rate Curtis.

I know we've had Baloucoune back the last month, but next season in the Pro 14 will be like having three new signings.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/ulster-rugby/hes-ticked-all-his-boxes-will-addison-set-to-make-ulster-return-while-angus-curtis-fit-to-face-connacht-in-rainbow-cup-40332617.html

And none of them forwards :(

And none of them forwards :(

Well, hopefully the Bungle Cup sees plenty of game time for McCann, Reid, Rea Jr. And Doak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Well, hopefully the Bungle Cup sees plenty of game time for McCann, Reid, Rea Jr. And Doak.

Is this new competition sponsored by Bungle with Zippy and George from Rainbow Children's TV? :):o

Is this new competition sponsored by Bungle with Zippy and George from Rainbow Children's TV? :):o

That's the one. Feels like those three organised it without supervision from Geoffrey, as well.

That's the one. Feels like those three organised it without supervision from Geoffrey, as well.

Very good. We're on the same wavelength.

So - what team for Friday? Anyone care?

o-RAINBOW-facebook-1024x512.jpg

Back row, l-r Connacht, Leinster
    Front row, l-r Munster, Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Honestly - i can't muster any interest in this. Would rather watch the A's go at it.

• Administrators Posts: 54,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Same, no interest. Play the As.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Honestly - i can't muster any interest in this. Would rather watch the A's go at it.

Presumably team will be picked with an eye on next week. That is the height of interest in the matches this weekend.

Yeah, that's how I am. Get the big lads up to speed this week, As against Munster and Leinster. Enjoy the sunshine.

• Advertisement

I'd throw the kids out this week and give game time to whoever needs it. I wouldnt be risking amy injuries ahead of Leicester.

Like I wouldn't risk Murphy, Moore, O'Sullivan or O'Connor in the pack. Other players are maybe a little more expendable

So we've gone strong for the Bungle Cup

Warwick
    Herring
    O'Toole
    Treadwell
    Hendy
    Rea
    Reidy
    Timoney
    Cooney
    Burns
    McIlroy
    Moore
    Hume
    Baloucoune
    Stockdale

Ulster team to play Connacht Rugby, Guinness PRO14 Rainbow Cup Round 1, Friday 23 April at Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 8.15pm, live on Premier Sports):

(15-9) Jacob Stockdale, Robert Baloucoune, James Hume, Stewart Moore, Ethan McIlroy, Billy Burns, John Cooney;

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Kieran Treadwell, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Matty Rea, Sean Reidy, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: John Andrew, Eric O’Sullivan, Ross Kane, Alan O’Connor, Greg Jones, David Shanahan, Michael Lowry, Will Addison.

Fairly mix and match.

Henderson back! Addison back! Some time at FB for Stockdale, McIlroy gets a go on the wing. Another go for Moore/Hume. Lowry back-up ten.

Pity no fans are allowed back for this.

The wee gobshytes have been out rioting and protesting and cases haven't gone up.

Surely they could let one thousand fans back in for a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

The wee gobshytes have been out rioting and protesting and cases haven't gone up.

Exactly and no recorded transmissions from all those packed beaches last year. Hopeless.

This baffles me too. Social distancing outdoors poses minimal risk. How long is this going to continue? Rugby like a lot of other sports is struggling and a limited no. at Ulster HQ would be a small but significant step.

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/5Huw4JIIulc Latest training movie, note Tom Stewart in the mix.

Advertisement