Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

A little harsh on Gleeson. Found his man a lot of the time in the first half, against the wind. Did nothing wrong in the second half, but would have liked to see him ping an odd long one with the wind, just to see how it would work out. Being caught for time wasting on the stroke of half-time is unforgiveable. He should be copped-on enough at this stage to 'read the room'. The crowd were baying at him constantly for delaying, and the ref (Conor Lane - horrible, horrid ref) was bound to be influenced eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

It has been confirmed to Galway Bay FM Sport that Tuam Stadium will not be ready for the Allianz National Football League meeting between Galway and Derry on the 25th of February.  

Galway GAA Confirmed that development works were ongoing at the ground and as a result, the game will now be played in Pearse Stadium on that date.

It was also confirmed that Tuam stadium will be ready for the opening rounds of the forthcoming Connacht U20 Championship when Galway play Leitrim on Wednesday March 20th and Sligo on April 3rd. 

Galway’s other games in the Connacht U20 Championship are against Mayo on March 27th in Castlebar and against Roscommon in Hyde Park on April 10th. 

The team is being managed this year by Cortoon Shamrock’s Derek Savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭threeball

I thought they were being fairly unrealistic with their timelines. Its a big project to complete in 3 months. Installing the seats alone is a couple of weeks work.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Weather has been cat altogether from a building perspective in this time with storms, snow, ice and an amount of rain. Be great to get Tuam upgraded and bring the crowds back.

I think people need to realise that upgrading Tuam will not bring the crowds back. They could build a Bernabeu replica and it won't matter a damn. The decision has been made that Salthill is home for Galway GAA and the chances of getting a championship game in Tuam outside of playing London are slim.

The league is where its at for Tuam and they should be campaigning heavily for most league games in football and trying to get a hurling one too. That and as many club games in both codes as they can handle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Have Galway ever played a hurling match in Tuam, certainly not recently and don't recall senior club matches being played there either, so doubt that'll happen, but, certainly football league matches should definitely be played there.

Played Wexford there in a league match c. 25+ years ago. Forget how they got on but they were battling relegation at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Can’t imagine you’d have too many people from the hurling heartlands around Portumna, Loughrea, Gort etc being keen on the idea of heading to Tuam for a club match.

If it was a choice between there and the dark side of the moon (i.e. Salthill), I know which they'd choose.

Easier to get in and out of Tuam than Pearse Stadium plus there's plenty of hurling in North Galway now. It'd be good for the promotion of the game.

• Advertisement

Seems like another year of Galway hurlers pumping long ball on top of a forward line not equipped to win it.

Can the sideline not see that nearly all our first half scores from play were worked through the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

to be fair that was a very experimental team with 2 or 3 thomas's lads thrown back into the fire early on ,i wouldn't worry when it mattered last year ye had enough to win against tipp but not only that in the last two years ye have came mighty close to limerick when they were at their peek compared to munster levels , the puck outs look more of a worry but the performances of nilland and some serious scores from stupid angles form conor whelan would bring me to quote a very famous gerry Addams warning !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I thought it was a good performance all things considered. February hurling, top 3 assured, some of the Thomas’s lads back, experimental side. I wouldn’t be reading too much into the result at all.

I agree we were down players but we gave Tipp a platform to generate a huge lead. I dont see the way they play evolving as they've been doing the same the last 2 years. The same was said last year and they didn't evolve, they spent the season pumping high hopeful balls onto a forward line that's not built to win that ball.

If they go short through the lines or deliver long low ball into space we generally get alot of joy from that but I'd say we're getting turned over on 85 to 90% of ball we pump high and long including puckouts. Surely now is the time to develop the style that best suits you and gives you a smidgen of a chance if you play Limerick. What we're doing now is 100% guaranteeing you lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Team for Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

the holy trinity are back in the half back line. Hopefully they can get a run of games together before the start of the championship.

First of the 4 prodigal sons returns to bench in Sean Kelly. If by championship Walsh, Comer and McDaid join him fully fit and flying (looks a big if with those. Especially Comer and McDaid) we'll be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭mjp

Anyone hear what is going on with Galway ladies team and the noticeable absence of the kilkerrin clonberne girls. I see that Ailish morrissey is the only KK Clonberne girl on the matchday squad of 30 again this weekend and has been the case for first 3 matches. Neither of the 2 x Divilly's or the 2 x ward sisters are available who would be regular starters in previous years. Know they under new management this year with Daniel Moynihan but doesn't augur well for the teams chances if they are without a number of these players. the all ireland club finals as mid December so would expect them to be back in the fold at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MattressRick

As long as Sean Kelly is 100% fit, it's great to see him back. It wouldn't surprise me if he's being rushed back, they've done it before.

They were given an extended break. Think manager is trying to uncover a few extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Tuam Stadium this week. Still behind schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Surely those old seats will be removed and replaced with new ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

That's the plan

79%G v 21%T possession and we're a point down 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Going nowhere, relegation on the cards, another year wasted!

Slow, ponderous play with no purpose. No runners coming off the shoulder to draw attention or break the line. Football in general is dross at the moment, but we're one of the least adventurous teams in the country.

Is there some new rule where they can't have a shot outside the 21?its like they're tryin to work it in for the perfect score terrible stuff, shur their goalkeeper is beatin us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Robson99

Excatly. No runner off the shoulder makes us so easy to defend against. No options for Gleeson either on Kick Outs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭testtech05

Are we playing against a strong breeze or are they just afraid to shoot from outside the D?

• Advertisement

That's just football today. Positions that would have been considering good scoring opportunities 20years ago are now ignored to get 5m closer but take 50 passes to get there.

Advertisement