Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

I'm afraid you won't get relief from that kip for many years to come. They've just had approval for floodlights so they won't be going anywhere after investing in those.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Butson

How many would they be expecting in Pearse stadium next Saturday afternoon, for a hurling league game against Westmeath?

Games like that should be played in Duggan Park.

This is the same rubbish we hear every year, it didn't mean anything, they'll come good later. Joyce hates Mayo with a passion, if you think he just laid down for them and played possum then you're badly mistaken. If you can't see the trends in the way this team plays every year, in yesterday then I don't know what to say. No magic wand is going to turn the tide on this come championship.

Even if he did train them saturday and then made them play a league match sunday he should be sacked on the spot just for doing something so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

This game,the game last July and the league final were replicas……….when is the penny going to drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Green Peter

We were within 5 minutes of winning the 2022 all Ireland final but that's suddenly forgotten. This happens Mayo every year, they get excited after a win and into the depths of despair after a loss with everyone to blame, thankfully they all suffer from amnesia and come back the next year going to win Sam with the same problems not addressed expecting a different result. Padraic deserves a chance again this year but I agree it may well be his last if there's no improvement. You have to be strong around the middle v Mayo as their half backs run at you as we know for years but are one dimensional, we had too many experiments yesterday, Maher needs McDaid with him, he can't dominate as the no 1 midfielder, McHugh is not a midfielder and Darcy not at the races. Our half blacks were too slow and we're dominated due to the loss of Midfield. Tierney and Conroy couldn't get into the game. I thought alot of breaks of the ball went Mayo's way yesterday which didn't help at important stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

Leaving aside your hatred of Joyce, did you not think the players looked heavy legged on sunday. Yes or no answer only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

You could say 90% of teams that lose games look “leggy”

Some people here are really grasping at straws rather than criticise PJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Green Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

How anyone thinks the league has any relevance to Summer football is baffling.

The league merely serves to dish up mediocre entertainment during a dull time of year.

The league winners are never remembered

no grasping at straws, the constant bashing of PJ is getting a bit tiresome at this stage ,he has faults but you either support him or follow a different sport.

• Advertisement

Let's say foe arguments sake that they did train Saturday. Do you think, with everything we know today about loads, rest and injuries, that anyone who sanctioned such a thing is fit to be a manager.

Now I don't for one second believe they trained, because I've been watching this Galway team plod along since Walsh was coaching. They haven't had a decent attack coach since Comer and Walsh first joined the panel but at least they defended well. The last couple of years they did neither.

I dont hate Joyce either, a fabulous player but no one should be immune to criticism and anyone can see he's a poor coach.

What kind of nonsense is that. So every manager of a team in every sport should be supported or just go watch something else? You wouldn't be long running out of sports to watch.

so is that a yes or no, if you truly believe that this a true reflection of where galway football is at, we will get relegated and get beat in the first round of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Back at work in Tuam.

Plenty of mobility around the middle. Interesting to see how it develops.

Deeper than I thought it was going to be, thankfully. Good to get those pillars out of the way. If they eventually extend it the whole way it'll be a fine job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

No Walsh comer Mcdaid Kelly …. Any team missing 4 former all stars would struggle . Take any kind of result Sunday now .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭testtech05

Liam silke not involved yet either. Also strange to see mulkerrins in the HB line again. Maybe just trying to get some minutes into him after so long out. But never thought of him as a wing back.

Hard to see us winning down in the Hyde

Mulkerrins surely a better option at full back . I suppose if nothing else it gives a chance to lads who need it and if 1 or 2 can come good it will be a bonus . We know what all the injured players are capable of . Lose this week it’s gonna be a big battle to avoid the drop though .

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Jaysus that team doesnt inspire huge confidence. Heaney who is always a mainstay in Joyce's teams is also missing from hf line. The lack of experience and impact off the bench is what's most striking. Rossies will prob sit back and give little space to our forwards and play us on the counter similar to how they played us in the dome not that I would read too much Into that game. Hard see us get a result from this especially with smith back from suspension and Roscommon with experienced side named. No Brigid's lads in squad which is bonus to us but wouldn't be surprised to see stack and o Carroll added to bench come Sunday as Roscommon will see this as a must win game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Seadin

Correct me if I'm wrong here lads , is there any St Thomas players on the Galway panel? I can't see them there. Surely the panel should have 1-2 players on the panel?

Would presume they might have only returned this week if there gone back at all after the club final .Conor Cooney David Burke Fintan Burke will be involved and maybe one or 2 more .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Galway need to shoot from distance….if they only get 50 per cent its better than being constantly turned over as they were against mayo.

will also draw the Rosie’s out….

Conor Whelan has been named as the new captain of the Galway Senior Hurling team. 

This was confirmed by Galway Manager Henry Shefflin following their 4-31 to 0-12 win over Westmeath this afternoon. 

It has also been announced that Conor Cooney will be vice-captain. 

Kevin Cooney will be out for 4-5 months after hamstring surgery yesterday.

The following have been released from Galway senior hurling panel following Walsh Cup: Alex Connaire, Sean O'Hanlon, Greg Thomas, David Concannon, Martin McManus Adrian Prendergast and Oisin Salmon.

Felt last year was Kevin Cooneys "break out year" so very disappointing to hear about that injury. Unlikely he'll play much this year with that time line of return.

Conor Cooney vice captain......

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Worthwent14

Cooney will likely be starting again this year when fit so. Anyone want to predict a possible championship 15 and impact subs?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Kevin Cooney was one of last year's positives. A big loss.

Both teams should be deducted two points for that.

McGrath, Tierney McHugh and Conroy decent. Heaney good when introduced. That's about it.

Took a huge amount of pressure off Whelan. We have (currently) nothing to replace him. McLaughlin has shown pace but Cooney had pace, power and good in the air. Heard today could be back around the Leinster final time so maybe he has a part to play yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Thought Molloy really drove them on when he was moved back in the second half, putting him in the half forward line is wasting his ability. Gleeson had a nightmare of a first half, marginally better in the second. Our forwards look to have no confidence to shoot, Finnerty had a bad day today and was really poor when he came on last week too. O Curraoin will be decent when he gets a few more games, he’s showing great promise.

• Advertisement

Ya true Molloy was good from open play. Was willing to try and skip past the first man and that helped open things up in the second half. Kicked good score too. Didn't make my list because those few wides from long distance drove me demented. They were rushed and difficult for what I consider a "non shooter"

Hard to know where things are going with Gleeson. Couple of kicks over the sideline. Once in possession he more or less just threw it away to concede a sideline. One long ball in he had no idea what was going on and luckily it bounced wide. Long kicks against the wind were impressive but our dominance around the middle was more to do with PC, Tierney etc. Heard things might change when UL are done but it's hard to buy into that.

Was hoping today was the day Finnerty would stand up and lead the line. Very little worked out. Not sure continuing to slide along the ground to gather possession was wise. He was either swallowed up or the flick pass to the runner intercepted. 2022 form and club form he is massively talented but he needs another breakout moment.

Not sure the logic of replacing O' Curraoin with D'Arcy 🤷 made a lot of sense.

Advertisement