Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Forces ultimate hell week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

wonder why the long haired guy that the instructors said had previous military experience decided to quit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nah, his cards where marked during the interview and we don't know what went on before that to make him a heat seeker.

Yeah but in his interview they're asking him if he thinks he's a hard man and telling him how **** he is and when the girl is being interviewed they're telling her how great she is. It's the favouritism that annoys me.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hitchens wrote: »
    wonder why the long haired guy that the instructors said had previous military experience decided to quit?

Again seemed to be disliked by the DS' and probably would have went same way as the Nordie. They were accusing him of being ex military despite him saying he wasn't so not sure what proof they had of that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yeah but in his interview they're asking him if he thinks he's a hard man and telling him how **** he is and when the girl is being interviewed they're telling her how great she is. It's the favouritism that annoys me.

I get you now.

I think it comes down to attitude. The girl has previously applied to join the DF, and I'm assuming it was for the cadets because it would be very unusual for a girl to be passed over twice for general enlistment.

If you read back I picked up on, and touched upon this. She has a great attitude and that's why I said previously had she gotten better advice when time was running out she should have went into the DF as enlisted (as opposed to a commissioned officer) and from there she could have worked towards either a potential officers course, or re engage as a cadet from the enlisted ranks.

Best way I can describe it is like a teen with a low leaving cert course going through the PLC route into third level education (this is what one of mine done).

The nordie lad never showed any of that attitude and potential, this may not be getting picked up by civilians but its glaringly obvious to a soldier looking at the show.

Everything I see in her is soldier, she's showing great attitude. She carries herself like a soldier, I think its a pity she never got the advice to go general enlistment because going by her attitude in the show she'd have been a fine soldier.

Again seemed to be disliked by the DS' and probably would have went same way as the Nordie. They were accusing him of being ex military despite him saying he wasn't so not sure what proof they had of that.

They might have had some intel on him, or he may have done some things on the course which we didn't see which only a soldier would be comfortable with.

He's also coming from a country with conscription.

The DS's aren't stupid, and people lie about their past for all sorts of good and bad reasons all the time.

There might have been a very good reason why he wishes to keep his previous military service from the public and decided to cut his loses and quit.

I'm only guessing, but its very easy for a soldier to see another soldier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

Enjoyable show, soldiers are not paid enough for what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

They might have had some intel on him, or he may have done some things on the course which we didn't see which only a soldier would be comfortable with.

He's also coming from a country with conscription.

The DS's aren't stupid, and people lie about their past for all sorts of good and bad reasons all the time.

There might have been a very good reason why he wishes to keep his previous military service from the public and decided to cut his loses and quit.

I'm only guessing, but its very easy for a soldier to see another soldier.
    He could be ex FFL, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Allez le bleu but I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Altreab2

Hitchens wrote: »
    He could be ex FFL, no?

Didnt the DS make a comment about his "Spetnaz experience that he never informed them about" ? He was about to go on the zipline at the time.

Altreab2 wrote: »
    Didnt the DS make a comment about his "Spetnaz experience that he never informed them about" ? He was about to go on the zipline at the time.

I remember hearing that alright I thought they might be just trying to call his bluff. I had the impression he maybe have done his mandatory years as many have to do and that might be the extent of his experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just watching the latest episode now on repeat. Must say it is a gripping program, there is a lot of tension on who is going to make it. I was cynical at episode one but now I'm the complete opposite, its a really enjoyable program and Ive so much respect for the participants and what they are going through.

Anyone know what country the guy with the long hair who quit is from? I thought I got a bit of a Finnish accent and know they have conscription for two years there.

Also the 20kms/4 hour mountain walk challenge, anyone know what route they used aside from climbing Tongalee? Would love to give that route a shot sometime, if only to find out how much off the pace I would be :o

Dimitryvinokourov.com is his website he's a professional actor with some work done in Finland.

ah right, I see from his CV that he was born in Moscow but has worked in Finland. Surely the DS would have known that he had military experience as a Russian national? Im not sure why he quit either, he looked like one of the strongest. Had a good laugh when the DS said to him he could report back that he did well on the course to his superiors lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Rte screw up 99% of these productions but I have to say this show is very well done. I have yet to watch episodes 3 and 5. I have watched the sas version over the last few years and the Irish ranger one looks much tougher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Anyone know how many episodes are left? Is tonight’s the last?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

Final episode next week. Tonight's episode delayed due to Eurovision coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

bookworms wrote: »

Thanks!

Balls, I was looking forward to tonights episode.

On another point I don't think you could get two programs that are so diametrically opposed as the Eurovision and a bunch of civilians doing an army selection course :pac:

delayed as in postponed to later in the night or until next week??
    say the former please, I'm liking this program especially the shouty tall Liam Neeson lad with the dodgy walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Muahahaha wrote:
    Balls, I was looking forward to tonights episode.

It's on tonight at 22:20.

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    It's on tonight at 22:20.

phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,825 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Confession time .:o
    I thought at the start of the show , that it was hammed up for the cameras, to make good tv .
    Until I spoke with a family member who is retired from the Forces now . So apologies for doubting and a massive thank you to those who serve our country .

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Confession time .:o
    I thought at the start of the show , that it was hammed up for the cameras, to make good tv .
    Until I spoke with a family member who is retired from the Forces now . So apologies for doubting and a massive thank you to those who serve our country .

Great isn't it?.

Now imagine doing this for a career!.

Great show.

Really enjoyed tonights episode, especially the bit where they were blindfolded and thought they were going to the next room only to walk into the canal lol! The only thing missing was for the DS to let off a few rounds of a gun when they were all lying blindfolded together, that would have freaked them out. The Dublin Fire Brigade lad was gas too, especially his escape attempt out the window while all the others were doing jumping jacks, I split myself laughing at that haha

• Registered Users Posts: 21,825 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Great isn't it?.

Now imagine doing this for a career!.

Great show.

I should have worded my posts better , I meant I thought the shouting /in their faces was hammed up , not the whole programme !

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    I should have worded my posts better , I meant I thought the shouting /in their faces was hammed up , not the whole programme !

God no, nothing hammed up at all. I really can't pick fault with the show and I hope if RTE is to do another one that they follow the same format.

If I could change one thing, and I'm not sure it could realistically be done is I'd swap those bars they carry as weapons for replicates of real rifles, but that might bring in issues in regards to security.

For added realism you could also add in loaded chest rigs and flakers (body armor with 15kg plates lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lotsobear

What strikes me as none if the instructors strike me as the "grey man" type normally associated with special forces

lotsobear wrote: »
    What strikes me as none if the instructors strike me as the "grey man" type normally associated with special forces

An instructor is never the grey man just as they're never the heat seeker either.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Muahahaha wrote: »

Also the 20kms/4 hour mountain walk challenge, anyone know what route they used aside from climbing Tongalee? Would love to give that route a shot sometime, if only to find out how much off the pace I would be :o

IMHO:
    Glenmacnass car park, Kanturch, Scarr, Dry Hill, Paddock Hill, cross R113 road and stream at wooden bridge, Brockagh, Tonelagee, ESB car park into Turlough Hill centre.
    If you do it in a single burst, from the top of Tonelagee, return to your own car at Glenmacnass, instead of the ESB park.
    If you can do it in summer without the 45kg burden, return and give it a shot fully loaded in winter. No, don't. That gang had huge safety backup, and needed it for some of the volunteers.

East West Mapping have the best maps.

• Advertisement

Sounds good, must look into it further. And no, I won't be doing it in winter or taking 45kg of dead weight either :pac:

Advertisement