Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Forces ultimate hell week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Just watching latest episode now, I would have thought that yer man trying to escape would be a big no no, surprised he wasn't thrown off, also on the sas version the guy not saying a word is also a big no no according to the sas anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Just watching latest episode now, I would have thought that yer man trying to escape would be a big no no, surprised he wasn't thrown off, also on the sas version the guy not saying a word is also a big no no according to the sas anyway

I think that would actually get him extra points

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Altreab2

Hitchens wrote: »

Didn't the DS say something like "good job the team were on the ball or we could have been out all over Kildare hunting for him" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

When watching it I burst out laughing at his audacity to escape, especially while the rest of them were doing jumping jacks, it was funny as fcuk.

In hindsight if he was part of a army unit of 6 who were all caught behind enemy lines I would guess an escape attempt by one soldier would end up having consequences for all the rest left behind. Plus the escapee would be highly likely to get caught soon enough afterwards.

His only mistake though in the war games scenario they were in was not to shout Escape! to all the others, thus creating panic with the DS as the six of them scramble in the hope that 3 of 6 make the escape. Now that would have been comedy gold :D

Hitchens wrote: »

Well on the sas version that could get the rest of his unit killed so he'd be ****ed out of it, also not speaking of answering the interagator is a big no no, lads who think they are being clever by not talking are doing themselves or the team no favours whatsoever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭deisemum

That was very good.

why was nicholas cage doing the interogating... ha ha ha...golly gee where are the god damn rockets!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

I enjoyed that. Looked really tough. I've met a few army lads over the years. Safe to say they weren't the brightest sparks but I think that goes in their favour for something like the army. You follow orders, not think for yourself and of course, you've got to be physically able.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

That was excellent. Grace is one tough bitxh. Des was good but she finished the show as he was trying to stick to the story, she knew the story was finished and told them they were on an army mission. Unreal to still have your head on when you're that fatigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

dobman88 wrote: »
    That was excellent. Grace is one tough bitxh. Des was good but she finished the show as he was trying to stick to the story, she knew the story was finished and told them they were on an army mission. Unreal to still have your head on when you're that fatigued.

whatever happened to name, rank and serial number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

dobman88 wrote: »

She was just brilliant! She's my hero :D
    Can she make a career out of it now as I know that's what she wanted to do in the past but was unsuccessful in her applications? Will they let her in for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

I really enjoyed this show. I would never have picked Grace & Des as the ones to finish it after the 1st night. Incredible mental strength from both of them. Would love to hear both of them being interviewed in more detail about their experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

They will surely be on the late late show tonight.... How the hell did Grace not get into the army? She's unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

glennhysen wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this show. I would never have picked Grace & Des as the ones to finish it after the 1st night. Incredible mental strength from both of them. Would love to hear both of them being interviewed in more detail about their experience.

Brilliant show, the highlight of my TV viewing week since it started.

The theory of 'the grey man' proven.

'How did she not get into the army' and 'will they let her in now'.

Whilst the show was fantastic and everything was 100% accurate it was also only the tip of the iceberg too.

Fantastic show, I hope there are more and I hope they don't try polish it off because this has been closest to the real thing I suspect you're allowed bring civilians.

Bravo RTE, BRAVO!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Brilliant show , one of the best RTE has ever produced. Really enjoyed it from start to finish.

Fair play to Des and Grace, seriously tough individuals both mentally and physically.

Hopefully they make another season of this next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Best show on RTE in a long time. Needs a second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fantastic tv, roll on season 2.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

Fantastic tv, roll on season 2.

Agreed. I rarely watch tv anymore, but this had me glued to the screen. Gonna miss Thursday night :( but not the Thursday night SF induced nightmares:o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Good show and I'll look forward to the next season but I have a gripe. I think some where unfairly pulled off the show and it's down to the production staff and maybe a small bit down to the DS who makes the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭average hero

Brilliant show - best RTE has produced in years. Grace and Des were excellent as were all of the participants. I actually felt emotional for both of them when they were told that they passed.

Hopefully they produce a Season 2 with slightly modified tests to stop it being samey.

Makes ya proud of our Ranger Wing too - to see what they go through. Tough people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

For those of you having withdrawal symptoms I recommend watching the similar SAS who dares wins series by Channel 4 . . even better than the RTE one.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/sas-who-dares-wins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Do u watch on the channel 4 App?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Do u watch on the channel 4 App?

yeah quick and easy enough to register on the Channel 4 site, and you download the app from any phone app store, and away you go. Also it opens a great selection of other Channel 4 series / programs, i forgot how good channel 4 can be sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Found the Channel 4 series considerably better, Irish version seemed to focus too much on the contestants in the barracks and not enough on the training. The DIs in the English version seemed better suited to TV than the Irish guys

Gotta say that evade and capture seems Horrendous, I wouldn't last two minutes being blindfolded like they were

Very enjoyable series but as someone has mentioned I'd recommend the sas who dares wins, it a better show and the Irish one is based off it, download the ch 4 app and away you go

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Very enjoyable series but as someone has mentioned I'd recommend the sas who dares wins, it a better show and the Irish one is based off it, download the ch 4 app and away you go

I started watching it at the weekend (the Super Army Soldiers version) and I prefer it. Mostly because I prefer the approach of the SAS guys. They are hard when they need to be (most of the time) but they're more human (though I did like the main guy on the Irish one).

I think you get a more rounded picture of both participants and Staff on the SAS one as well.

I haven't seen the C4 show but if you want to get as close to real Irish army training then this show is as close to 100% accurate (given that the participants are civilians so a lot of the tasks were scaled right back, then they didn't have kit inspections, weapon inspections, prep'ing for tomorrow, weren't carrying half the load a soldier carries, weren't wearing body armor etc).

I'll watch the C4 show sometimes but if RTE tries to polish up this show they're going to ruin it, but if the TV audience has some preconceived idea of what military training is like and they're not buying into this then I guess change will happen.

Fantastic show as is, and as close to real Irish army training (not ARW or anything close) as you're going to put a civilian through.. And I can't say this enough, without taking away from the participants huge achievements on the show.. They're civilians and experienced one week of military training!.. Basic recruit training is six months of that level of daily beasting and when they go on the ground for their tactical phase its what you seen there multiplied a thousand times.

'The Glen as no TV camera's, your NCO's have a free reign on you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I haven't seen the C4 show but if you want to get as close to real Irish army training then this show is as close to 100% accurate (given that the participants are civilians so a lot of the tasks were scaled right back, then they didn't have kit inspections, weapon inspections, prep'ing for tomorrow, weren't carrying half the load a soldier carries, weren't wearing body armor etc).

I'll watch the C4 show sometimes but if RTE tries to polish up this show they're going to ruin it, but if the TV audience has some preconceived idea of what military training is like and they're not buying into this then I guess change will happen.

Fantastic show as is, and as close to real Irish army training (not ARW or anything close) as you're going to put a civilian through.

I've only seen a few episodes of the first season of the SAS show but where it is better is two things: (1) they explain the rationale for what they put the civilians through. For example, 'the sickener' was a very tough physical amd mental challenge that pushed them. And twice (I think) when they thought they were done and back in their accommodation, they were called back to do something else. Now, you probably could have just shown that and it would be good viewing. But they had the DS describe why that challenge was an important test - that there were times in combat zones where you might by physically and mentally drained and think you're done but then the fighting isn't done and you have to tap into reserves you never knew you has. I thought that kind of explanation, with real experience of a situation it was called upon, really made a difference to it.

(2) the DS are part of it. Interviews/talking heads are interspersed and I think it makes the show a bit more rounded and you don't just have automatons shouting.

I don't think elements like that would fundamentally change the show on RTE as is but would add more nuance to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

'The Glen as no TV camera's, your NCO's have a free reign on you ;)

Maybe that's why morale and drop out rates are so big in the army ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Maybe that's why morale and drop out rates are so big in the army ;)

How about the 20 Euro for a twenty four hour shift, over half the army are on Family Income Supplement. It costs many soldiers money to actually perform their duties.

We've a complete separation between the civilians running the dept of defence and the forces on the ground, in the air and on the high sea's.

We've been recommended a pay increase of 350 Euro per year, that's less than a Euro per day (before tax too).

If you want to earn more money you've to go off to a war zone, great if you want to serve in war zones, and many actually do but our wives, husbands, partners and children may have other plans but out of necessity we've to travel.

Then when soldiers come home and there's no support in place to help them deal with the after effects of their service, ie PTSD.. My own example, I was give a weeks supply of sleeping tablets and told if I needed more to come back!.

Then how are our families handling us being oversea's.. This only really hit me when the 9/11 attacks happened, my son who was 12 at the time came home from school absolutely beside himself with worry. I had just returned from Lebanon and he thought WWIII was starting and I'd have to go back out to another war.. Try explain that and put a childs mind at ease.. But on the flip side of that now we've money for keep us comfortable for another few months.

But yea, soldiers are leaving because NCO's are shouting at them.. Well if someone leaves because they can't take a bottling then let 'em go, they're feck all use to any one.

The DF is in crisis but its not because of NCO's shouting at recruits in The Glen.

Advertisement