Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Forces ultimate hell week

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ok hands up here, I'm an Irish soldier with 34 years service.

I'm really enjoying the show, the instructors are very realistic. All the shouting & cursing and the military jargon is all 100% spot on, its EXACTLY how recruit training and a lot of career courses go.

Which brings me to a small point, this is like ordinary recruit training not SF. They couldn't possibly replicate ARW selection on civilians. All the rest pretty much reflects my experience.

Last nights episode was excellent, particularly the river crossing and jumping off the jumping off the bridge, we've all done that. The screaming, the beasting, cursing, getting your stuff f*cked around the billet (or at you, esp if your admin in the field is going to let you or your buddies down).. All that stuff on the show is very real, but its a very small fraction of the stuff which breaks a civilian and builds the soldier.

They haven't got uniform, kit and weapons inspections after crawling through mud and water all day and night, and the inspections go on all day and night, esp kit and weapons inspections when you're on the ground, and God help you if you mess up there!. Nothing that show is covering could prepare you for that!.

Excellent show, well done RTE. (I haven't seen the British version)

I suspect Dale Doback is or was a soldier or you've had some kind of experience with the military (Snow Garden wasn't).
    I imagine the physical tests in the selection/evaluation process are very rigorous and exhausting but I doubt they are putting blacks bags on candidate's heads, constantly shouting/cursing and making them do silly stuff. They are professionals and expect professional tests of physical endurance and decision making under duress but this show is pure Reality TV which makes for fun viewing I suppose.

100% wrong.

Actually we'll make that 100 million % wrong.. You're wronger :p than wrong :)

A few people here objected to the constant cursing and shouting, or you think its unrealistic. Military training is way, way tougher than the show is showing. Way tougher, but when you get through all that you've had the best days of your life and made the best friends you'll ever make, and you would and are willing to die for them.

When I retire I know I'll wish I could do it all over again from day one, every bit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Ok hands up here, I'm an Irish soldier with 34 years service.

I'm really enjoying the show, the instructors are very realistic. All the shouting & cursing and the military jargon is all 100% spot on, its EXACTLY how recruit training and a lot of career courses go.

Which brings me to a small point, this is like ordinary recruit training not SF. They couldn't possibly replicate ARW selection on civilians. All the rest pretty much reflects my experience.

Last nights episode was excellent, particularly the river crossing and jumping off the jumping off the bridge, we've all done that. The screaming, the beasting, cursing, getting your stuff f*cked around the billet (or at you, esp if your admin in the field is going to let you or your buddies down).. All that stuff on the show is very real, but its a very small fraction of the stuff which breaks a civilian and builds the soldier.

They haven't got uniform, kit and weapons inspections are crawling through mud and water all day and night, and the inspections go on all day and night, esp kit and weapons inspections when you're on the ground, and God help you if you mess up there!. Nothing that show is covering could prepare you for that!.

Excellent show, well done RTE. (I haven't seen the British version)

I suspect Dale Doback is or was a soldier or you've had some kind of experience with the military (Snow Garden wasn't).

100% wrong.

Actually we'll make that 100 million % wrong.. You're wronger :p than wrong :)

Sure didnt I see you in the cookhouse for free food 2 weeks ago :)

I will echo what you said. Its a good show and I will admit I was expecting a cringefest especially as I know the guys.

But very simply for everyone elses benefit, it's more 'Recruit trainingesque' than SF selection. The only thing SF so far are the instructors.

I expect that will change as the episodes go on but it wont really emulate SF selection. The participants could not be expected to be at that level in such a small timeframe, physically or mentally.

They are also drastically limited to what can be done as the majority of "military skills" which are normally tested are not applicable to this scenario.

Fair fcuks for each and every one of them for giving it a shot. Its easy to sit at home and but I still get the aul "oh sh1t" shivers when Im watching it.

Anyone putting themselves forward for military training should expect to be at a very minimum cold, wet, in pain, confused, disoriented, pissed off and in various stages of shock with a bruised ego and plenty of discomfort and dissapointment.....all day, every day.

However, each challenge brings confidence, mental fortitude, physical robustness, comeraderie and pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I grew up with a soldier, he retired as a Colonel.

I asked him once about these kind of training methods, the shouting, language, belittling, shaming etc

He told me it is because you want to create soldiers who never question your command. That once they’re given an order they don’t even think about it, they just do it, even if it’s somethi g that a civilian might balk at, a soldier will do it without question. Because there are times where you need your soldiers to act, not think. He told me all those methods, while harsh, have a very specific purpose.

He was a seriously regimented fcuker, an annoying pox at times but a good aul skin also.

Sure didnt I see you in the cookhouse for free food 2 weeks ago :)

The penny drops :D

I've heard you were cushy as f*ck with recruits :D

I'm really enjoying the show. I admit I thought it would be a cringe fest when I seen the ads for it and sat down to the first show with a totally negative attitude but that changed rapidly when I seen how accurate the instructors were and thought 'this is the real sh*t', or as close to it as you'll be allowed bring civilians'.

I'm really surprised how easily the instructors sat right back into their old roles as military instructors & leaders.

Answer me this, are the helmets real or airsoft helmets?. The bars for weapons look a little silly but I wonder are they weighted inside to bring them close to the weight of a Steyr.

The leopard crawl in the snow was funny, f*ck how many times do we do that up in Kilbride. But you wouldn't be allowed finish it looking that clean lol

Excellent show, so far a close to 10/10 from me considering we're talking about civilians here.

Kilbride ranges in winter, burrrrrrrrrrr :mad:
    People think peackeeping is cushy and they are not 100% wrong in the main

Yea should have been out on the early Leb trips ya red arse :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,862 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I know someone in it, a very respected Sportsperson and well known in his field.

He said it was tough, very tough and he is a physically and mentally very strong guy and ectremely fit.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    I know someone in it, a very respected Sportsperson and well known in his field.

He said it was tough, very tough and he is a physically and mentally very strong guy and ectremely fit.

Another one here who knows me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I Wonder will they do the interrogation thing like they do in sas who dares wins just incase they get caught behind enemy lines in the curragh or something

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I Wonder will they do the interrogation thing like they do in sas who dares wins just incase they get caught behind enemy lines in the curragh or something

Or like Lebanon?.

Irish soldiers captured, tortured and murdered in Lebanon

Or Pte's Kevin Joyce and Pte Huge Doherty who were captured by Palestinian militiamen and murdered in Lebanon.. Pte Joyce's remains were never returned to us and he remains the longest held captive in the Middle East.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Only got a chance to see episode 2 last night, great show. RTE have done themselves proud with this production, best thing they've made since Love/Hate.

It would make ya feel guilty sitting on the couch watching it. It's great the way they show glimpses of the participants personalities too.

I didn't like her at the start but I think I'm after falling in love with number 22.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah I have to say I was surprised when Colin fennelly came out about the army.

Show is very good, well produced.

Is there any prize for the winner?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Yeah I have to say I was surprised when Colin fennelly came out about the army.

Show is very good, well produced.

Is there any prize for the winner?

Not even these;

478994.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ "Two out of three is not fücking good enough!"

:)

Not your ornery onager

Anyone know where the series was filmed?

Anyone know where the series was filmed?

Kilbride camp/ranges mostly, Blessington and other area's in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains.

Kilbride camp/ranges mostly, Blessington and other area's in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains.

Thank you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Very surprised this guy pulled. out... Had him. On top to. Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

Very surprised this guy pulled. out... Had him. On top to. Win.

Same as the mcgregor lookalike last week in the lake, had him to be top dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

enricoh wrote: »
    Same as the mcgregor lookalike last week in the lake, had him to be top dog!
    Remember the instructors saying a lot of them haven’t near enough body fat on them.
    I know couple of lads who went (and failed ) to get through selection. But they were told to fatten up a bit before starting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

harr wrote: »
    Remember the instructors saying a lot of them haven’t near enough body fat on them.
    I know couple of lads who went (and failed ) to get through selection. But they were told to fatten up a bit before starting.

cool story bro

Excellent episode.

Re the unarmed combat, personally I've never seen a situation where a man would have to fight a female soldier. Never even heard of it happening. In a pass/fail situation I'm not entirely confident I could do it.

The instructors are brilliant, so accurate. You couldn't get the best actor in the world to replicate this stuff.

Kilbride in winter, burrrr :(

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    I go for 10km runs in the Phoenix Park at lunchtime occasionally. I've often met army lads running in the opposite direction with full backpacks wearing army boots and meet them at the corresponding point on my circuit.
    I can do 10km in about 50-55mins and they are doing a similar pace. Not bad going for running in army boots, let alone with a backpack.
    Not easy at all....

Just going through this thread and seen this, late.

The lads you're seeing there are taking part two of their annual fitness test, and they're also doing 10k loaded. I can't remember off the top of my head whats in the backpack but I'd be close enough if I said a spare uniform, water bottle, helmet spare boots (could be wrong on this one) and rain gear.

Its not terribly heavy, its just a day sack. But when you're doing it against the clock (you've a time limit) in boots and wearing combats it all starts to get heavier as the Km's go by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

The guys on sas are interesting, the ds on the Irish show just seem like utter a holes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Pissartist wrote: »
    The guys on sas are interesting, the ds on the Irish show just seem like utter a holes

I'm a bit reassured by the guys on here saying this treatment is standard, because otherwise I'd agree with you. It's hard to see how the constant belittlement and kicking their kit around makes them better soldiers, but maybe it does.

On another note, Dmitry is cool as f*ck.

If you say why we might be able to help you.

Honestly and I can't stress it enough, what you're seeing here is 100% accurate. Everything is done for a reason, for a very good reason too and importantly it works.

We turn out professional soldiers who meet and go above & beyond international standards. We're in high demand in the United Nations for our professionalism & commitment to getting the mission done.

Outside of peace keeping and peace enforcement missions we more than hold our own even compared to the very best armies in the world.

For our size we punch well above our weight.

So, what makes the DS's in the show arseholes?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

If you say why we might be able to help you.

Honestly and I can't stress it enough, what you're seeing here is 100% accurate. Everything is done for a reason, for a very good reason too and importantly it works.

We turn out professional soldiers who meet and go above & beyond international standards. We're in high demand in the United Nations for our professionalism & commitment to getting the mission done.

Outside of peace keeping and peace enforcement missions we more than hold our own even compared to the very best armies in the world.

For our size we punch well above our weight.

So, what makes the DS's in the show arseholes?.

What kind of missions? Do Irish soldiers and more particularly the army rangers engage in combat and ultimately kill people? Carry out raids on terrorist cells etc? What about NATO missions? Were Irish soldiers involved in the Balkans for example? Genuinely curious.
    With regard to the shouting and insults, I completely get why that's done and have no issue with it. Don't know why some people have a problem with it. It's not the boy scouts.
    I think the girl that was an Irish boxing champion has been given to much slack and they seem keen to keep her on.
    Really surprised yer man with the beard dropped out so easily in the end.
    Good programme overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

What kind of missions? Do Irish soldiers and more particularly the army rangers engage in combat and ultimately kill people? Carry out raids on terrorist cells etc? What about NATO missions? Were Irish soldiers involved in the Balkans for example? Genuinely curious.
    With regard to the shouting and insults, I completely get why that's done and have no issue with it. Don't know why some people have a problem with it. It's not the boy scouts.
    I think the girl that was an Irish boxing champion has been given to much slack and they seem keen to keep her on.
    Good programme overall.
    I agree with you , they seem to be giving her plenty of chances and air time. She seems to be the poster girl for the show.

I think the girl that was an Irish boxing champion has been given too much slack and they seem keen to keep her on.
    Good programme overall.

Yes we served in the Balkans (Kosovo & Bosnia). East Timor, Ethiopia, Somalia, Lebanon, Kuwait, Chad, Mali, Liberia, Afghanistan to name just a few.

Re terror cells etc, I'm really not here to discuss all that type of stuff but look at those missions ;)

Yes the girl is getting way too much slack.

The lad with the beard. I was more concerned that nothing was done about his obviously broken nose. I've never been through that particular pipe, there are shorter pipes running under the bridge at Kilbride ranges which I've been through a few times.

In fairness he looked like a big lad, and that looked like a tight squeeze. I personally don't mind tight places, but I'm a big lad like him and I'm not sure I'd have fit there either.

That said I've a different perspective on things, I know I'll never be asked to do something which has never been done before, is humanly impossible or something which my instructors have never done themselves

He wouldn't have the advantage to know all that, and knowing all that I'd have faith in the DS's to get me through it.

I thought that test was genuinely tough for everyone.

They all got a tough going over on the last episode.

The DS's could ramp up the pressure more, lots more but I'd said they're on the edge as to what they can do with civilians. I don't know what time they're up and in action but I've noticed the latest I've seen on the DS's watches (during the balaclava interogation) is 22:30, that would be an early night on the ground for soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Its not terribly heavy, its just a day sack

14Kg minimum.

Only to those who don't understand what they are watching. Not your fault at all, you just have no military experience and can't appreciate whats actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I know I'll never be asked to do something which has never been done before, is humanly impossible or something which my instructors have never done themselves

That's the way I'd look a tasks as well, especially as this is essentially just for TV show - nobody is going to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great show, fills the gap while we wait for Irelands fittest family. I must check out the English version, I've heard its better.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement