Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭High bike

Maybe. Thinking about it. What's the story with access to mart ringside?
    AFAIK u have to ring up and get a number to bid and that allows u to get in

tanko wrote: »
    Losing leased land i think.
    This strange that they have no land of their own to continue even on a smaller scale

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Barron lad

Did anyone use the new red blue in Dovea BB6942? or any thoughts on him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Royals

High bike wrote: »
    This strange that they have no land of their own to continue even on a smaller scale
    Think he has a dairy herd aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

AFAIK u have to ring up and get a number to bid and that allows u to get in

That’s my understanding aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Anyone use Firefox SH4748 on hiefers? I've a LMx heifer on (calving down at 25mths) thinking of trying him or Saler Knottstown Roy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Anyone use Firefox SH4748 on hiefers? I've a LMx heifer on (calving down at 25mths) thinking of trying him or Saler Knottstown Roy.
    I used him on a pb shorthorn and a shx (dairy cross) heifers. The pb calved last Autumn and the other in March - both unassisted. Hardy calves that were up and sucking within 20/30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Thinking of getting a few Tomchoice Nation (Lm5611) straws for a few second caving Zag cows, looks nice with a drop of milk? Anyone have any thoughts on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a few Tomchoice Nation (Lm5611) straws for a few second caving Zag cows, looks nice with a drop of milk? Anyone have any thoughts on him.

I was thinking of getting a few straws myself, but my AI guy will explode if I get more straws.

Tomschoice Nation has similar breeding (sire & grandsire the same) as Tomschoice Lexicon. Here's a Tomschoice Lexicon bull from the recent Brooklands sale.
    https://twitter.com/irishlimousin/status/1401170246598340610

Those Tomschoice bulls wouldn't be mad on calving ease and also tend to be short in length. As ZAG would be compact too, would a more framey bull suit better. Just my thoughts.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I was thinking of getting a few straws myself, but my AI guy will explode if I get more straws.

Tomschoice Nation has similar breeding (sire & grandsire the same) as Tomschoice Lexicon. Here's a Tomschoice Lexicon bull from the recent Brooklands sale.

Those Tomschoice bulls wouldn't be mad on calving ease and also tend to be short in length. As ZAG would be compact too, would a more framey bull suit better. Just my thoughts.

Thanks Patsy, I have a few Lm2388 calves out of the Zag cows and they have a nice bit of length to them and they are very easy calved but just thought Tomchoice Nation would bring a little bit more style to the equation.

• Advertisement

Did u go to Gort Patsy thought it was a dear sale

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

I have three calves off Brooklands Marco this year who is an Eravelle son. Nice square calves, good shape and muscle to them and were easy calved on cows.
    They might not turn out to be the biggest animals so mightn’t be the best cross for ZAG cows.
    Have a nice Gamin heifer off a ZAG cow this year, not sure if she’d have much milk tho.
    Curaheen Earp would be a good cross on ZAG cows imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Base price wrote: »
    I used him on a pb shorthorn and a shx (dairy cross) heifers. The pb calved last Autumn and the other in March - both unassisted. Hardy calves that were up and sucking within 20/30 mins.

Went with Firefox. Hasn't being a shorthorn on the farm in 30 years (so my father says). Hopefully work ok with a black LMx heifer.

On a side note, I started using Estrotect scratch cards this year, well impressed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Did u go to Gort Patsy thought it was a dear sale

No, I watched it online though. Did you go?
    I have enough here anyway.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

No, I watched it online though. Did you go?
    I have enough here anyway.
    No same as that just watched it,the commercials made some money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Virtually no reliability for that milk figure. . Easy calving charolias like bivouac for them cows, very small at birth and short gestation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Jss heifer calving at 24 months to a Beguin son in Dec.

Ulsan off at PT calving at 24 months to the Beguin son in Nov

Dickens first calver Knottown Roy heifer.

Hjd heifer off a si cow in calf to beguin son stock bull for Nov

• Advertisement

Lovely stock,the Ulsan is a beauty

Lovely stock,the Ulsan is a beauty

Shes a mad cnut. Has quietened an awful lot since she came.

Rio in her breeding. Calving at 3 Yr lod in Dec to the SA. Heifer is at least 2 foot wide.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    what cow is she out of,the salers i have here are pure lambs

Sunnyboy heifer 2 in October suppose to be in calf but saw her bulling a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Sunnyboy heifer 2 in October suppose to be in calf but saw her bulling a few weeks back.

Lovely stock, a perfect picture for suckler farming in ireland. The boundaries which we never get credit for look great aswell.:D

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Lovely stock, a perfect picture for suckler farming in ireland. The boundaries which we never get credit for look great aswell.:D

Unfortunately at the end of that 20 acre field there is 45 apartments going in. Can't wait.

what cow is she out of,the salers i have here are pure lambs

Yer man I bought them off sticks them on a hill far away for a good bit, just no used of bedn handled shes after calming down a good bit thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

have 3 ulsans they seem a bit gamey alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Base price wrote: »

Just put a straw into a black lim x heifer with bb in her breeding. Looks a nice bull

Advertisement