Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

tanko wrote: »
    Salers are a safe easy calving option on heifers i find anyway.

What are your EBY and LM2014 heifers like for milk?

Nothing to write home about at 24 months with regard to milk but they seem to come into their own as 2nd and 3rd calvers. Enough to do the job at hand. They’re calves daily weight gain would be on par with any of their comrades of different sires is all I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

2 loyal heifers, 1st lady is Pb, 10 months, 2nd lady was off a Charolais 1st calver, 13 months, who calved at 24 months.
    Loyal is a very good bull IMO. Just doesn’t get the same attention as the bulls from Dovea/ munster.
    Have a Cerberus x Sympa heifer calving end of June to Loyal, looking forward to that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

2 loyal heifers, 1st lady is Pb, 10 months, 2nd lady was off a Charolais 1st calver, 13 months, who calved at 24 months.
    Loyal is a very good bull IMO. Just doesn’t get the same attention as the bulls from Dovea/ munster.
    Have a Cerberus x Sympa heifer calving end of June to Loyal, looking forward to that

Would you say his calves are a little on the compact/small side? His figures say that anyway.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Would you say his calves are a little on the compact/small side? His figures say that anyway.

Ya you’d want abit of height on the dams side alright, nothing wrong with length tho. Them 2 heifers are as quiet as lambs, but I’ve a yearling bull that would be only ok, but I’d put that down to the mother more so than the bull himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Ordering up the straws for this year. Lodge Hamlet is in very short supply. They said he injured himself so not performing so big back order for straws and taking no more orders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Ordering up the straws for this year. Lodge Hamlet is in very short supply. They said he injured himself so not performing so big back order for straws and taking no more orders.

Once he’s alive there’s hope he’ll supply again
    Super calves off him

i don't like using him on my purebreds. Calves look good after a month or so, but I think they stay kinda butty. Heifers then haven't a drop of milk and poor fertility.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone who can't get Lodge Hamlet could try Gamin, haven't used Hamlet but can't see how he'd be any better of a bull than Gamin. Gamin straws less than half the price also.

First three heifers here calved to Knottiwn Roy in the last few days, twin bulls and two single bulls, all popped out very easily. The single calves have plenty of muscle and shape to them, am very impressed with them so far anyway, a couple of heifers would have been nice but all healthy which is the main thing

Anyone who can't get Lodge Hamlet could try Gamin, haven't used Hamlet but can't see how he'd be any better of a bull than Gamin. Gamin straws less than half the price also.

First three heifers here calved to Knottiwn Roy in the last few days, twin bulls and two single bulls, all popped out very easily. The single calves have plenty of muscle and shape to them, am very impressed with them so far anyway, a couple of heifers would have been nice but all healthy which is the main thing

I ordered some Gamin & Loyal straws instead.

I used Roy as a test on a AAx hiefer & she popped out a lovely heifer herself. She calved at 24mths. Very impressed as we never used a Saler before and she's really dark black. I'm going to use him now on a couple of LMx heifers for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭High bike

i don't like using him on my purebreds. Calves look good after a month or so, but I think they stay kinda butty. Heifers then haven't a drop of milk and poor fertility.
    Have u Hamlet heifers calved Patsy?

• Advertisement

I ordered some Gamin & Loyal straws instead.

I used Roy as a test on a AAx hiefer & she popped out a lovely heifer herself. She calved at 24mths. Very impressed as we never used a Saler before and she's really dark black. I'm going to use him now on a couple of LMx heifers for this year.

Saler bulls are a great cross on Lim heifers or any heifer for that matter.

High bike wrote: »
    Have u Hamlet heifers calved Patsy?

No, I've a heifer calf here and sorry I registered her. I'll see what her Genomic test shows up but nothing worst than calving down a heifer without a drop of milk.

No, I've a heifer calf here and sorry I registered her. I'll see what her Genomic test shows up but nothing worst than calving down a heifer without a drop of milk.
    Have a Hamlet heifer here since last year prob best to move on so,heard they were short of milk all rite

Saler bulls are a great cross on Lim heifers or any heifer for that matter.
    100% great bulls for maidens especially calving at 24 Mt's.Have a few DBZ heifers here this year might try that Knittstown Roy on them I think Munster have him

Is LM2014 (EWDENVALE IVOR) still available with Dovea or is he gone?

Is LM2014 (EWDENVALE IVOR) still available with Dovea or is he gone?

I ordered 4 straws 2 weeks ago from them with no issue

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Royals

Best Limo bull to put on big strong charloais/Simmental cows? Thoughts on joskins?

Royals wrote: »
    Best Limo bull to put on big strong charloais/Simmental cows? Thoughts on joskins?

One of the hardest calving limousin bull around. Stay well clear of him.
    If it's Dovea, try Dromanig King instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Has anyone of you had experience of using Knockmoyle10 Loki ET (CH4159) on a second calver cow and if so did the cow calve unaided.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Has anyone of you had experience of using Knockmoyle10 Loki ET (CH4159) on a second calver cow and if so did the cow calve unaided.

He's easy calving and quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Royals wrote: »

Better off with easy calving charolias,

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Has anyone had exceptionally good calfs from joskins that would merit taking a chance on him even though he is hard calfing. I have a few calfs off him here but all only average stock off good strong cows, very disappointing.

I see BullBank are now selling Carrickmore Maximus straws. Pricey at €45 for a totally unproven bull.

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/new-carrickmore-maximus-s3706-straws/27499660

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

I see BullBank are now selling Carrickmore Maximus straws. Pricey at €45 for a totally unproven bull.

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/new-carrickmore-maximus-s3706-straws/27499660

Not a limo man but that Foreman bull seems to produce the goods from a Show and Sale perspective and I saw that baileys Ice Princess at Tullamore a few years ago and she was a big unit so you would think he'll throw nice calves but the unseen stuff like fertility and gestation could be poor. Wouldn't see him as being a bull for replacements anyway, terminal/fat stock all the way I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Wouldn't need too many repeats at that kind of price !

I’d take Gamin straws at €8 each instead.

I’d take Gamin straws at €8 each instead.

Or they not €10? :D

Buy 20 get 5 free 😎

Not a limo man but that Foreman bull seems to produce the goods from a Show and Sale perspective and I saw that baileys Ice Princess at Tullamore a few years ago and she was a big unit so you would think he'll throw nice calves but the unseen stuff like fertility and gestation could be poor. Wouldn't see him as being a bull for replacements anyway, terminal/fat stock all the way I'd say

I've a foreman cow here and she is a big girl. Nice and quiet though and seems to have enough milk. She's due to calf to Gamin in about 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Gave Lodge hamlet to a blue cow this morning. Sucker for punishment so i am

Advertisement