Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,509 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

51-580UK.GIF?21-18

Ground should be hardened nicely ahead of the snow overnight Saturday.

This GFS run has a lot of the precip in the southern half of the country overnight - this will be back and forth...

60-574UK.GIF?21-18

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

540284.png

Nemo Hill will be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

As Kermit suggests things look like working out quite well on Saturday night.
    Cork is quite frosty already tonight which is a very good sign as the real colder air is not over us yet!!

Of course there's the usual 1 or 2 who continue to tell us why it won't snow. I seem to remember similar comments 2 weeks ago when quite a few saw falling snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Fax chart shows it as an Occluded front so no proper mild sector as it crosses the south of the Country, It's actually the slider Low that the models picked up on a few days ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Hopefully those charts come to fruition
    Was on the wrong side of Kilkenny this week

Cousins up in Castlewarren/Revanagh Kilkenny got buckets of snow over 3-4 hours (220m ASL)

• Advertisement

fax60s.gif?2

Could be an exciting night for south of Louth to Mayo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

ICON shows Ulster as the main area of snow risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

pad199207 wrote: »
    Slush

Now now young bucko, I'll have you know that there were four consecutive mornings of snow cover here down the road in southern Laois, and it was proper dry snow too :D ! None of that coastal slush. :pac:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch - alot of differences on the models about Saturday night, some have quite an active front, others less active. :confused:

A while to go yet. :cool:

pad199207 wrote: »
    Looks like Sleet

It is,rain and bits of snow aka sleet
    It could also be soft hail mixed wit rain
    Its not snowing in that video

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Danno wrote: »
    Now now young bucko, I'll have you know that there were four consecutive mornings of snow cover here down the road in southern Laois, and it was proper dry snow too :D ! None of that coastal slush. :pac:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch - alot of differences on the models about Saturday night, some have quite an active front, others less active. :confused:

A while to go yet. :cool:

Yes boss :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Cork is quite frosty already tonight which is a very good sign as the real colder air is not over us yet!!

Of course there's the usual 1 or 2 who continue to tell us why it won't snow. I seem to remember similar comments 2 weeks ago when quite a few saw falling snow

Those 1 or 2 are usually right for the vast majority of us!

51-580UK.GIF?21-18

Ground should be hardened nicely ahead of the snow overnight Saturday.

This GFS run has a lot of the precip in the southern half of the country overnight - this will be back and forth...

60-574UK.GIF?21-18

What I want to know Kermie is,is my garden going to get a better covering than yesterday? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I used to like the cold but now that I'm working and driving in it, **** that! My car is going to be frozen solid in the morning again in cork.

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    I used to like the cold but now that I'm working and driving in it, **** that!

We've a live one here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Hard frost out there tonight. A beautiful night. We've a lot of frosty nights this winter.

Not sure if that's aimed at me or not. If it is, I was the one who started the snow thread two weeks ago. And we didn't get that snow yesterday.

Not sure if that's aimed at me or not. If it is, I was the one who started the snow thread two weeks ago. And we didn't get that snow yesterday.

Not sure if that's aimed at me or not :pac:

AuntySnow wrote: »
    What I want to know Kermie is,is my garden going to get a better covering than yesterday? :D

Yes, yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nice frosty night again, down to - 2, question is how warm will that rain be when it gets here, its extremely slow moving though..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yes, yes it is.

1-B5-CA937-C6-D4-49-CE-9-DAC-ACE6-D785-C34-E.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭highdef

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The cold air hasn’t even arrived yet, the last shower was rain.

So it bodes very well.

Well the air wayyyyy down south is rather cold this evening. I went to the shops a little after 18:00 and had to use the ice scraper on the windscreen before I could go anywhere. The grass was turning frosty at sunset and the roads are now like rinks in places where run off from the fields enters or passes over the roads. No fancy gritters around these parts :pac:

As for the possible event on Saturday evening/night, looking at the info to hand I would say that most places away from the south and west will see a couple of hours of light snow with a few heavy bursts here and there. I'd say many will wake to a dusting, some more than others with probably a good few disappointed people too. That's as it currently stands. My thoughts may change between now and Saturday afternoon/early evening.

Corkonians on Sunday morning

1606260026_1940618

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Don't you just love when netweather displays the freezing rain graphic

Not sure if that's aimed at me or not :pac:

Not at all. Everyone has their opinion, it's just that it would seem from JS that some opinions are more welcome than others, regardless of the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Not at all. Everyone has their opinion, it's just that it would seem from JS that some opinions are more welcome than others, regardless of the facts.
    It's not aimed at you but you can take the insult if you like :D
    There's worse than you lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    I used to like the cold but now that I'm working and driving in it, **** that! My car is going to be frozen solid in the morning again in cork.

Looked out half an hour ago. Car frozen solid. North kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Quite a shower moving east across Clare and holding together. Might be some ninja snow across parts of the south in the morning!

Starting to look like more of a snow "event" on Saturday night. Delighted that this front is looking more active.

51-574UK.GIF?22-0

54-574UK.GIF?22-0

57-580UK.GIF?22-0

Potential top up on Sunday too for the east and south

63-574UK.GIF?22-0

63-580UK.GIF?22-0

Danno should be having fairly heavy snow now

Snooze you lose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rain, sleet and hill snow

You'd soon grow despondent with how dismal our winters are. We cannot even get a decent storm anymore.

If you look at the last wind chart Syran posted a couple of weeks back, you'll see that even 'named' storms are gradually losing what little punch they might have had over time. :rolleyes:

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement