Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I am really not sure what else to say.. the cold air comes down to Ulster around 6. There is colder air sitting to the NW. That is coming in on Saturday.

Ok maybe it might be marginal tonight initially, but I do expect showers to turn to snow here. And Friday/Saturday should definitely be snow, some areas have freezing levels as low as 200 metres.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    You didn’t bother look ahead. The cold air flows in at 11pm-12am from the WNW.

MOD note

I warned you yesterday about the tone of your posts , everything comes across really aggressive , next warning is a week off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

The local microclimate in the hill here pulled through again. Not a drop of snow on the other hills, but snow lying on the road and ground down to 900 feet here. Not sure what causes this microclimate, but it is interesting.

Can you share the exact location of that hill? Perhaps others here (including myself) could have a look at local topography etc and maybe have a discussion to try understand why it snowed there but not on other hills.

highdef wrote: »
    Can you share the exact location of that hill? Perhaps others here (including myself) could have a look at local topography etc and maybe have a discussion to try understand why it snowed there but not on other hills.

I don’t want to say because it will give away where I live.

The hill is located in a sort of valley at high elevation. There is a hill to the west of it somewhat also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The hill is located in a sort of valley at high elevation.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47gywzcilep07fkeaft12p27mjzqz7xbil1qbne9vt&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just in case you are worried, Mods don't do house calls! :P

No but certain members live nearby I am assuming

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just my opinion looking like a good opportunity for decent snowfall later Sat into Sunday and possibly during Sunday with the initial occluded front and following troughs possibly giving a decent accumulation in places, for now the Northern half of the country showing the most potential. ECM has been showing this now for a few runs.

Getting very cold later Sat night into Sunday morning and on Sunday away from the coasts places struggling to get up to 3 or 4C and again falling below freezing for many early Sunday evening. No doubt Sunday and into Monday could have very tricky driving conditions. Would think lying snow on lower levels a strong possibility for now going by the model output over the last few runs.

hmObBnk.gif

wEjPCTo.gif

FFT4DVk.gif

W5ziqmi.png

jYRwjvW.png

frU1lPf.png

pDIAaR1.png

sW3ddVh.png

That's it! I am buying a snowplough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 polarhullar

No but certain members live nearby I am assuming

I drive past your house all the time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Been eyeing Saturday night as our best snow opportunity for a few days. Seems to have upgraded if anything. I'd prefer that occlusion to be a little more organised before hitting the west coast though.

We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

That is your right.

But You posted a video of yourself (6 mins long) on here not so long ago.
    I would be more worried of being known by other local users as you said having done that, then i would be by advising a general area i live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭pauldry

Good to see snow opportunity for Saturday.

They need to upgrade it before they downgrade it. Ill prob be looking out the window saying wheres my snow? But anyways we are near coast so hail will do if its heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Be patient the cold air is coming tonight

There will be no precipitation here by then.
    Saturday and Sunday does look interesting but it would not surprise if it goes wrong again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Could be a nice covering in a lot of places Sunday morning going by the 12Z

60-1.gif

63-2.gif

66-3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

From met eireann

Saturday will be cold with sunny spells. Much of the country will be dry. However wintry showers will affect the west and north. Highest temperatures of 3 to 6 degrees with light westerly breezes. On Saturday night a band of rain, sleet and snow will move eastwards across the country. Frost and ice will develop as the rain, sleet and snow gradually clear with lowest temperatures of -3 to 0 degrees.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The GFS always makes these snow possibility charts look more extensive than what we end up when Atlantic air is well within the mix. I'd expect this to look more patchy by tomorrow. By Saturday the front will probably break up as it crosses the country and a dusting in places if we end up on the right side of marginal. Very unlikely to end up with those lovely scenes like we saw from Manchester last night.

GFS showing a widespread dusting, again these change from run to run and usually end up getting downgraded several times within the final 24 hours.

75-780UK.GIF?21-12

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just hoping that trough can be more organised before hitting the west coast for us in Dublin. Otherwise will be light to moderate at best by the time it gets here.

If this front does not break up, i'd expect further west it will be more marginal due to Atlantic influence. If a good freeze has set in before hand then places further east could do quite well. The tendency for these features, if the air is cold enough, is to have less oomph than what models at this range suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭esposito

There will be no precipitation here by then.
    Saturday and Sunday does look interesting but it would not surprise if it goes wrong again.

Fully expecting it to be a non event for us in the east anyway. 9 times out of 10 it is when it’s a band coming in from the Atlantic.

As pad1992 said yesterday us Leinster folk need an easterly or northeasterly to get something worthwhile. Scandi high please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It's kinda funny that those who complain the most about 'Atlantic slop' tend to be the very people who are glued to the charts in the hope they might get some.

Roll on some F11/12 storms.:cool:

New Moon

Some beautiful skyscapes with heavy showers in the distance towards the Atlantic, none of them making it this far. Not a bad day for a walk.l[/URL]

You can walk in any weather... except black ice. :P

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

esposito wrote: »
    Fully expecting it to be a non event for us in the east anyway. 9 times out of 10 it is when it’s a band coming in from the Atlantic.

As pad1992 said yesterday us Leinster folk need an easterly or northeasterly to get something worthwhile. Scandi high please

this is our winters in a nutshell. Unless we can get an eastery/northeasterly then forget about seeing decent lying snow other than a temporary dusting.

Cold zonality kills the shower activity past the shannon if the air is cold enough and if it is on the wrong side of marginal which if often the case, we end up with cold rain instead and some hill snow.

For the east of Ireland snow is usually a feast or a famine.

esposito wrote: »

Yes, if you are only happy with substantial snow fall, i agree. For those further East that will accept less, they could get a modest covering out of this, provided the trough is active enough and a few hours freeze sets in prior to the front passage across the country. For those of us further west, it will likely be rain and sleet.

Gonzo wrote: »
    this is our winters in a nutshell. Unless we can get an eastery/northeasterly then forget about seeing decent lying snow other than a temporary dusting.

Unfortunately that's off the table till sometime in February, if it happens at all. The sooner people come to terms with that the better. If a dusting of snow does not do it for you, then fair enough, but other people might be glad to see a dusting.

UK Met forecast has a small shallow low passing over the north of Ireland (Saturday) which seemingly, just going by their forecast maps, is likely where the bulk of any snow showers would be:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Biggest risk of snow will be from later Friday into Sunday morning. Northwest and northern areas at the biggest risk. Saturday evening and Saturday night could give good accumulations especially across the west, northwest and north. Some accumulations could occur across the Midlands and East also giving dustings in places it will depend on how organised the band is. For Donegal showers mainly of sleet tonight with snow over higher ground areas. I wouldn't be expecting much of anything tonight biggest risk from Friday night onwards.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Unless we can get an eastery/northeasterly then forget about seeing decent lying snow other than a temporary dusting. .
    You had a Scandinavian sourced E NE earlier in the month. I don't recall reading reports of 10 foot drifts during it.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    You had a Scandinavian sourced E NE earlier in the month. I don't recall reading reports of 10 foot drifts during it.

I meant a proper easterly/north-easterly with air originating from Russia/Scandinavia. That easterly earlier in the month had mild origins from SE Europe and most of Europe was also relatively mild at the time so there wasn't any cold to tap into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Someone who has been around here as long as you have; should know the obvious reasons as to why.

Anyway, I'm always happy just to see snow fall tbh. A dusting is great and anything more than that is rare and unexpected.

This is Ireland after all, Unless you're on high ground I feel people set their expectations too high most winters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement