Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe do you feel?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Samaris wrote: »
    Oddly enough, Ireland has a couple of advantages that way. Continental countries are used to dealing with open war situations. Ireland is...actually pretty used to dealing with this sort of thinking; the terrorist's mindset. We might be being a wee bit too hard on the Gardai and intelligence services.

I was too slow with my comment but I agree 100% people seem to have short or selective memories. They are not after Paddy the terrorist/freedom fighter now. They are after "Paddy who converted to Islam and was told on the internet that it is a good idea to commit a bit of Jihad every so often". In the recent Dywer case it was shown that we have enough of techies in this country to gather up intelligence and get people afterwards.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    What would they actually do to protect us if we were targeted? Hit the terrorists with their big sticks? Our best defence is hoping nobody knows we're here.

The ERU's Big Stick collection these days include the SIG Sauer P226 semiautomatic pistol, the HK416 automatic rifle and the Steyr SSG-04 sniper rifle as well as a couple of autoloading 12-bores, so I'd say some of them would sting a little. :pac:

Many people probably don't realise, but the firearms people here are pretty serious-minded individuals and are deployed sparingly, and don't run around riddling the place when they are. I'm reminded of when I was ten or eleven, around 1982 or so, and a Garda came to visit the school to talk about, umm, I disremember, Garding and such, I expect. But what I do remember is he had with him an example of the sort of kit the armed guys use, which he produced and showed us. And what was it only a stoating great Uzi. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Paris proved that IS's latest tricks and its pool of sympathizers and foreign fighters and its constantly evolving brand of global terrorism has advanced far beyond the surveillance capacity of even French intelligence. Who would've been fairly on the ball post-Hebdo anyway.

I wouldn't have any kind of blind faith in our Irish lads detecting or preventing similar attacks on home soil. Not because they're sh1t. But because what IS is doing is unprecedented, unpredictable and pretty damn pervasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I feel much safer since my pisshead junkie neighbour dropped a few weeks ago, woohoo karma.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Exaggerate much?

I would put money on the fact that they would have a solution in place very quickly if this became an issue. They don't want to change so they overplay the importance. Hardly rocket surgery to figure that out.

Same as me saying something will take a week to get out of doing it, since a weeks effort can't be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

I have debated this in true Irish fashion i.e in the pub. And my pubs two cent is this. Irish people are generally racist by design. They hate everybody, even people from the next town / village. We are by design a suspicious people. When they decide to blow up Dublin or wherever this will result in a pogrom of basically anyone that looks middle eastern. This has occurred in the past where Catholics, Protestants or English have been driven out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34840896

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's one advantage of being a boring middle aged man who spends most weekends at home watching movies with the missus: even if we're attacked, I'm safe as houses unless they start going door-to-door!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Sleepy wrote: »
    It's one advantage of being a boring middle aged man who spends most weekends at home watching movies with the missus: even if we're attacked, I'm safe as houses unless they start going door-to-door!

Myself and the missus were in Paris three odd weeks ago. She said "Jesus that could have been us".

My response was "sure what would we have been doing out at that time." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

So how safe do you feel?

Perfectly safe from terrorists. Not safe at all from knackers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I am more likely to be killed crossing the road, then being killed by a terrorist. Now, I could be killed crossing the road, or by a terrorist. Both are possible, but its very silly to worry about it, as both are unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Not worried about terrorism; worried about being randomly jumped on by skangers or being hit by a drunk driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,509 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

dutopia wrote: »
    Not worried about terrorism; worried about being randomly jumped on by skangers or being hit by a drunk driver.

And there is hardly any protection against basic criminality in Ireland so why should we doubt the ability of our so called security services to deal with a terrorist attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

Or hysterical thinking.

The world didn't seem very outraged after Dublin & Monaghan our own government didn't seem that outraged.

Sorry Darky, your definition of Hysteria is much lower than mine it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

Exaggerate much?

I would put money on the fact that they would have a solution in place very quickly if this became an issue. They don't want to change so they overplay the importance. Hardly rocket surgery to figure that out.

Same as me saying something will take a week to get out of doing it, since a weeks effort can't be justified.

Im not implying an attack will happen on Shannon. Im saying its a possible reason for attack.
    Your willfully blind if you cant accept that.

Did you even read the link?
    The US military cannot project military power in the global war on terror without the use of Shannon airport as it is currently configured.

Thats motive enough, if they ever got around to thinking about Ireland, which I think is nopt likely, but still remains a possibility.

Non event indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Even in the event that you lived in a neighbourhood that was a target of one of these attacks, your odds of being a victim are very long. Living on the same continent? It is a bit hysterical to be worrying about being 'unsafe'.

Out of all the things that are likely to kill you on a daily basis, a terrorist attack is way, way down the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Im not implying an attack will happen on Shannon. Im saying its a possible reason for attack.

Thats motive enough, if they ever got around to thinking about Ireland, which I think is nopt likely, but still remains a possibility.

Non event indeed...

I'm not subscribed, so I can only see the first paragraph. Who is that quote from? The US military?

As above, if they lost access they'd have a replacement in no time, particularly now with Europe waking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Dont think the State is properly prepared to react to a terrorist attack
    but i dont think we need to worry about a attack here, i think isis have bigger fish to fry.
    British based radical Muslim, Anjem Choudary, claims Ireland is viewed as a legitimate target for terrorist attacks because the Irish Government allows U.S. military planes to refuel at Shannon Airport...

http://theliberal.ie/shocking-british-based-radical-muslim-claims-ireland-is-viewed-as-a-legitimate-target-for-terrorist-attacks-because-the-irish-government-allows-u-s-military-planes-refuel-at-shannon-airport/

Non event indeed...

I see the quote is from 'security analyst, Dr Tom Clonan', NOT the US military.
    In his expert evidence on behalf of the two accused, Dr Clonan said Shannon was a virtual forward airbase of US military.

Far from not impartial given that he was testifying on behalf of Scarecrow and Daily.

In fact more likely scaremongering, particularly given Scarecrow and Dailys agenda as shown by their sickening tweets over the weekend.

You will need to do better than that.

• Advertisement

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    British based radical Muslim, Anjem Choudary, claims Ireland is viewed as a legitimate target for terrorist attacks because the Irish Government allows U.S. military planes to refuel at Shannon Airport...

http://theliberal.ie/shocking-british-based-radical-muslim-claims-ireland-is-viewed-as-a-legitimate-target-for-terrorist-attacks-because-the-irish-government-allows-u-s-military-planes-refuel-at-shannon-airport/

Hopefully he is now considered a legitimate target for a drone strike. Why is this guy even in the UK?

Hopefully he is now considered a legitimate target for a drone strike. Why is this guy even in the UK?

Forced to sit though an Enda Kenny speech - excellent idea. That'll be the most painful droning since I explained fuel injection to Mrs. Goose. :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    Forced to sit though an Enda Kenny speech - excellent idea. That'll be the most painful droning since I explained fuel injection to Mrs. Goose. :D

I had something more like a Hellfire up the jacksie in mind for our muslim troublemaker.

I had something more like a Hellfire up the jacksie in mind for our muslim troublemaker.

Oh never mind my jesting - I personally would be a fan of reducing the entire Mesopotamia/Al Sham region to it's constituent atoms - should take two or three days given the correct equipment - and announcing to our friends over this direction that their Caliphate is gone, and they now have two choices - capitulate and comply, or be hunted down and skinned alive one-by-one by very annoyed Special Forces types. But of course I can't actually come out and jusy say that. Just as well I'm not in charge. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Do they even know we exist?
    98% of the population couldn't even find Ireland on a map or even care to
    People like to think the whole world revolves around their country when in reality the rest of the world couldn't give two hoots about it.They care as much about Ireland as you do about say, Fiji for example.
    Kinda works in our favor though if you think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 44 option

I feel safe because we are a small country

Steve F wrote: »
    Do they even know we exist?
    98% of the population couldn't even find Ireland on a map or even care to
    People like to think the whole world revolves around their country when in reality the rest of the world couldn't give two hoots about it.They care as much about Ireland as you do about say, Fiji for example.
    Kinda works in our favor though if you think about it

In theory, but the sins of the past may come back to haunt is - by which I mean granting asylum to this lad: http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/paris-terror-attacks/paris-terror-attacks-leading-islamic-state-terror-suspect-still-in-ireland-thanks-to-irishborn-son-34206995.html
    Ireland's top Islamic State terror suspect successfully fought off a deportation order on the grounds that he has an Irish-born son.
    The middle-aged man, who first came to this country as a refugee more than a decade ago, is the leader of a small Irish-based network providing logistical support for Isil fighters travelling to Iraq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Living in Ireland, I never particularly worried about ISIS or the likes compared to say some scummer kicking you in the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

6541 wrote: »
    I have debated this in true Irish fashion i.e in the pub. And my pubs two cent is this. Irish people are generally racist by design. They hate everybody, even people from the next town / village. We are by design a suspicious people. When they decide to blow up Dublin or wherever this will result in a pogrom of basically anyone that looks middle eastern. This has occurred in the past where Catholics, Protestants or English have been driven out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34840896
    It certainly does seem like a view formed in the pub. After a load of pints.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

mdwexford wrote: »
    Safe.

If anything did happen we would be fcuked though.

lambs to the slaughter comes to mind

Advertisement