Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe do you feel?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Aye, perfectly safe. :)

I'd be pretty confident that IS don't have as many gullible idiots willing to die for jihad as they'd like to have the world believe.

Had to begrudgingly laugh at something a drunken sexist eejit in the pub said, 'maybe if they were offering them 72 broken-in ones we might be in bigger bother.'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Sure we could beat the Shiite out of them with Superquinn sausages. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Had to begrudgingly laugh at something a drunken sexist eejit in the pub said, 'maybe if they were offering them 72 broken-in ones we might be in bigger bother.'

Where would you get it only in a pub in Ireland? :D

The HSE will kill more of us in 2016 than ISIS, I can guarantee that. Safe? I dunno...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

jimgoose wrote: »
    Where would you get it only in a pub in Ireland? :D

The HSE will kill more of us in 2016 than ISIS, I can guarantee that. Safe? I dunno...

The HSE are hell bent on creating a caliphate in Tallaght tho.. believe or die..or die, even if you believe..and their active wing - the Provisional A&E are fairly deadly too..

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

Provisional A&E

Lol, brilliant...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Dont think the State is properly prepared to react to a terrorist attack
    but i dont think we need to worry about a attack here, i think isis have bigger fish to fry.

If I was a terrorist I would do something to the quiet chaps in the corner playing it safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

Lol, brilliant...

Who said that?? They're angels Goddammit..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Terrorism is such an infrequent cause of death you'd have to lose all sense of perspective to be worried about it.

https://data360.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/leading-causes-of-death-compared/

There are parts of Ireland I wouldn't feel safe walking around in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Maybe sticking the knife into little old Ireland would be the perfect demonstration of zero fcuks given by IS.

Neutral country, no real stake in world affairs, just doing it to prove that they can and will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Wouldn't some of them feel (rightly or wrongly) something of an affinity with the Irish because of Ireland being colonised, and their viewing the IRA as "freedom fighters" and stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Firstly, no suicide bomber with an ounce of self respect wants to perform his Jihad in the f*cking Ilac Centre or somewhere like this. They want a decent target, filled with decent people, and you'll find nothing or nobody worth blowing up in that dump.

Secondly, if we're unprepared it's because we've got every reason to be. I'm unprepared for being eaten by a python. If, however, I worked and lived in the amazon, I'd know what to do if I'm faced with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Firstly, no suicide bomber with an ounce of self respect wants to perform his Jihad in the f*cking Ilac Centre or somewhere like this. They want a decent target, filled with decent people, and you'll find nothing or nobody worth blowing up in that dump.

Secondly, if we're unprepared it's because we've got every reason to be. I'm unprepared for being eaten by a python. If, however, I worked and lived in the amazon, I'd know what to do if I'm faced with one.

This gave me a giggle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Hammer89 wrote: »

I lol'd so hard at this the dog jumped out of my bed and started barking at me.

Maybe a terrorist with self-esteem issues might take on the ILAC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

beks101 wrote: »
    I lol'd so hard at this the dog jumped out of my bed and started barking at me.

Maybe a terrorist with self-esteem issues might take on the ILAC?

There has to be a good joke in there somewhere about virgins (or lack thereof), suicide bombers and the ilac centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

We'd have to identify the victims by dental records, which could be tricky when not one of them has ever been to a dentist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I feel quite safe, plenty of other things before I would worry about terrorism. Considering our past I would think we would be better at dealing with a terrorist attack than other people think, although more people would probably die waiting in A&E than directly from the terrorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    There has to be a good joke in there somewhere about virgins (or lack thereof), suicide bombers and the ilac centre.

I can see the recruitment poster now:

ILAC self-esteem, do you lack self-esteem?
    ILACing sexy time, are you lacking sexy time?
    Unique have a sale on bomber jackets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Not gonna read the ****e posting that went before but
    I live in the west of Ireland my area is close and we all like hunting (with guns)
    I have three dogs a retriever a staffie and a boxer
    Last and by no means least I really can't fathom why is would have an issue with us
    And if they did why they'd want to deal with the 100% shotgun 300% dog owning west of Ireland village I live in
    So I feel safe but I get why others don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I feel quite safe, plenty of other things before I would worry about terrorism. Considering our past I would think we would be better at dealing with a terrorist attack than other people think, although more people would probably die waiting in A&E than directly from the terrorist.

That sums up what I was going to post. Unless we have a secret hospital somewhere that could take the overflow, and considering A&E is swamped most of the time on a "regular" day. They couldnt cope with a sudden increase of 200 injured people.

That said, I'll concede we are less of a target that other european countries are.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ihatemyfish

I think people are a bit naive if they think that we aren't a potential target. We are part of the big bad west. The chief cleric in Blanch mosque reckons that there are are at least 100 radicals in the country and there are another 30-40 off head hacking and the like with ISIS in Syria and Iraq.

People are thinking rationally - sure why would they attack us? These cooonce are not rational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

The more I see posts like these confirming how ill prepared we are the more unsafe I feel. Anyone who thinks we are immune because we are good little peaceful Ireland needs a reality check. We are a democratic mostly Christian country and that's enough for us to be valid targets. Yes we'd not be as high profile as some other countries but you think a brainwashed madman cares about that? I would say that us being softer targets makes us more vulnerable if anything. And of course everyone feels safe people in Paris probably did till last week too. I feel safe but I am very vigilant when out in crowded places for many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I feel pretty safe, overall. If I lived in Dublin, I might feel a wee bit less safe, but I live in Cork.

Overall, I'd probably still feel pretty safe if I lived in Dublin, and I'd probably feel reasonably safe even if something DID happen here. It's always a possibility, yes, but I can't live my life in fear of something that has a fairly remote chance of happening and an even remoter chance of happening when I'm in the vicinity. Selfish view, ofc, but the question was on a personal level, not a national one!

I just don't think we're that interesting a target, but to an Irish-born radicalised lunatic, well, he might decide to have a go at his country of birth, it being easiest to get at.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've milk, a loaf, and some beer so I'm ready for lockdown to ride this apocalypse out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

This is sensible thinking.

This 'we're perfectly safe, sur why would ISIS bother with little auwl Ireland ' thinking is seriously flawed.

We would be an easy, easy hit for them and it would outrage the world. Thats exactly what they want....

Or hysterical thinking.

The world didn't seem very outraged after Dublin & Monaghan our own government didn't seem that outraged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

On edge as I live somewhere that would potentially be a target. Trying to keep cool but everyone's on edge around me and I'm very sensitive to the "vibes", for want of a better word, of other people. Hopefully people will calm down in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

If I think about it too much, not too bloody safe at all. I live in London which is pretty much numero uno on these bastards' hit list.

TBH I'd rather an attack happened here than Ireland though, they'd be far better equipped. Countless counter-terror raids and arrests every day, strong police presence everywhere you go. These lads know what they're doing and are far more likely to thwart any soft target attack than Irish intelligence would be IMO.

Their ears are pricked especially now post-Paris, but I guess 7/7 and Paris itself will teach you that nothing is preventable for too long. Especially with the likes of IS knocking about with countless hidden terror cells everywhere and foreign fighters heading to their home countries for their moment of glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Oddly enough, Ireland has a couple of advantages that way. Continental countries are used to dealing with open war situations. Ireland is...actually pretty used to dealing with this sort of thinking; the terrorist's mindset. We might be being a wee bit too hard on the Gardai and intelligence services.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Our friends and not so friendly people up in the 6 counties/the North/Northern Ireland (Or whatever you want to call it) who lived during the troubles would laugh at this thread.

Meanwhile down here we got to the stage where most of us to shrug our shoulders and say "another one?". "Which side?" "Oh right, what are the sports results?" Until Omagh happened and suddenly people copped on again.

As for the Gardai not dealing with terrorists and enemies of the state I would say that as force they are more equipped then most countries, at the very least in the collecting of intelligence after the fact.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

What would they actually do to protect us if we were targeted? Hit the terrorists with their big sticks? Our best defence is hoping nobody knows we're here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It occurs to me that we could do worse than bring in the legendary John "We'll set aboot ye!" Smeaton on the payroll. If ye cannae reason wi' the wee radge cunnox, in wi' the boot an' in wi' the heid, tha noo! :pac:

Advertisement