Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe do you feel?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

100% Safe

Isis have no beef with us

ISIS has a beef with anyone who they don't regard as being Islamic enough. They are sectarian murderers with an ambition to create an empire, not aggrieved victims of imperialism but rather happy beneficiaries of its results. However, we are unlikely to be considered worth the effort compared to other larger targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

To be honest, the more I think of it the more I think why do we see ourselves as not being a target? ISIS don't care that we are neutral, in fact it's probably to their benefit that we are. They can't match up to the big guys, Id imagine if it came down to it they're no match for military defence,therefore they go for the innocent defenceless ones. It's easy to kill an unarmed civilian, sure it doesn't take much, and that's just what they do, they go after unarmed, defenceless innocent people in order to prove a wider point. So maybe they are more of a threat to us than we think? Perhaps the fact that we think we aren't a target makes us a target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

I live in the bogs. They'd get lost before they even got close. If they did get here, they'd be so sorry for our troubles, they'd head off elsewhere. If, by some miracle, they did decide to detonate their "blow me to heaven" belts here, feck all no one would notice. The boy-racer exhausts would drown them out and only the fitness fanatics ever venture out anyway. One fanatic versus the other..

I live in the bogs. They'd get lost before they even got close. If they did get here, they'd be so sorry for our troubles, they'd head off elsewhere. If, by some miracle, they did decide to detonate their "blow me to heaven" belts here, feck all no one would notice. The boy-racer exhausts would drown them out and only the fitness fanatics ever venture out anyway. One fanatic versus the other..

What about when you have to go to "de big shmoke" to do the Christmas shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I feel safe, but I agree the state at least feels and looks like it would have a hopelessly inadequate response to anything like what Paris experienced on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I grew up in Portlaoise literally across from the prison in the seventies and eighties. We'd everything from gunshots at breakfast, to extradition protests, to bomb scares.

Our security forces dealt with them admirably, I'd have confidence in their ability to deal with a terrorist threat.

Of all the countries in the EU, Spain, the UK, and Ireland due to history are probably best poised to deal with the threat of terrorism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I don't. There are something like 30 Irish citizens fighting for IS, right now, getting trained in the art of Jihad. God knows how many more are here who are sympathetic. We are fools if we think that we are somehow immune to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Custardpi wrote: »

Thats what Amazon's for :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

ISIS has a beef with anyone who they don't regard as being Islamic enough. They are sectarian murderers with an ambition to create an empire, not aggrieved victims of imperialism but rather happy beneficiaries of its results. However, we are unlikely to be considered worth the effort compared to other larger targets.

We're only a fart of country compared to the rest in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

We aren't relevant enough to warrant any attention. A small neutral island in the corner of Europe. As far as the rest of the world are concerned we are part of the UK, and I am sure if IS were to orchestrate an attack it would be in their general direction.

• Advertisement

We're only a fart of country compared to the rest in Europe.

Probably true enough which is as likely to be our protection as anything. While they'd no doubt have their pick of lads ready to blow themselves up at "crusader" targets like Buckingham Palace or the Washington Monument I'd imagine there'd be less of an appetite for martyring themselves at the Dáil - most of their 72 virgins would probably never have heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

We aren't relevant enough to warrant any attention. A small neutral island in the corner of Europe. As far as the rest of the world are concerned we are part of the UK, and I am sure if IS were to orchestrate an attack it would be in their general direction.

We would be the perfect default attack though. I think the UK is safe for now, they are on high alert. We here however think we are invincible as attitudes on here attest to. This may be true, but ISIS make political points through smaller, strategic attacks. I'm not thinking they're going to bomb the Houses of Parliament or anything anytime soon. Bombing us would allow them to make a huge political point and it would be easy for them to do. That's just my way of thinking anyway, trying to think outside the box.

I send the missus. Not even Isis would dare feck with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Two possible reasons, I can think of.

1. US military planes at Shannon means we are sort of allies to the US.

2. We legalised gay marriage which made worldwide news.

I think either one of those reasons alone would be enough. All it takes is for a few if the thirty Irish citizens in IS to come back and start plotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

How safe is a piece of string?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Very safe. All of the European nations that have been attacked have been been going to war in the Middle East. Our policy of neutrality has served us well.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

anna080 wrote: »
    We would be the perfect default attack though. I think the UK is safe for now, they are on high alert. We here however think we are invincible as attitudes on here attest to. This may be true, but ISIS make political points through smaller, strategic attacks. I'm not thinking they're going to bomb the Houses of Parliament or anything anytime soon. Bombing us would allow them to make a huge political point and it would be easy for them to do. That's just my way of thinking anyway, trying to think outside the box.

This is sensible thinking.

This 'we're perfectly safe, sur why would ISIS bother with little auwl Ireland ' thinking is seriously flawed.

We would be an easy, easy hit for them and it would outrage the world. Thats exactly what they want....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Is this another dole thread?

Lol

This is sensible thinking.

This 'we're perfectly safe, sur why would ISIS bother with little auwl Ireland ' thinking is seriously flawed.

We would be an easy, easy hit for them and it would outrage the world. Thats exactly what they want....

We still wouldn't be nearly as high a priority as other countries though due to the much lower propaganda value. Paris was undoubtedly aimed as much if not more at wavering ISIS & potential ISIS supporters. "We may be suffering some setbacks at Sinjar etc but we can strike the crusaders in their great cultural capital - we've still got it". Dublin, Cork etc simply don't have the same symbolic worth. A lone-wolf attack can't be ruled out of course.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

the word on the street is the next attack could be a dirty bomb,

i propose citizens start to carry class 1 particle masks

rather have it than be looking for it

you can get a good grade 1 mask from a hardware store for $20 -25

• Advertisement

XR3i wrote: »
    the word on the street is the next attack could be a dirty bomb,

i propose citizens start to carry class 1 particle masks

rather have it than be looking for it

you can get a good grade 1 mask from a hardware store for $20 -25

My eldest has dropped a few of them in the van on the way to work over the last few weeks. Wind down the window - be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,134 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

They'd take one look at the logistics of getting from point A to B on the M50 and say"fook that!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Seemingly 91% of Irish people don't feel like the State is properly prepared to react to a terrorist attack.

So how safe do you feel?

I live in Limerick and have to say I've never felt unsafe here, despite maybe one or two times walking through the dodgier areas. Nothing in relation to terrorism.

I think I feel safer than you considering your proximity to Shannon Airport :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Dunno, if these nut jobs are looking for a spectacular I would have thought Shannon is wide open - taking down a plane load of returning gi's I would have thought would be easily carried out.

a friend of mine was flying through Newark on the way to Florida and told me there was a guy wearing a full length white robe standing at the departure door reading out loud from a book and pointing at the plane in a threatening manner as people were going on board.

2 weeks later when they were flying home, there he was again at the same craic, pointing at the plane in a menacing way and dictating lines from a book. An airport worker explained to my friend that this guy was 'putting a curse' on the plane because it was flying to Shannon, and the American army were using Shannon as a stop-over for their military flying to ME.

everlast75 wrote: »
    They'd take one look at the logistics of getting from point A to B on the M50 and say"fook that!"

"terrorists stuck in traffic jam"

We still wouldn't be nearly as high a priority as other countries though due to the much lower propaganda value. Paris was undoubtedly aimed as much if not more at wavering ISIS & potential ISIS supporters. "We may be suffering some setbacks at Sinjar etc but we can strike the crusaders in their great cultural capital - we've still got it". Dublin, Cork etc simply don't have the same symbolic worth. A lone-wolf attack can't be ruled out of course.

Yes, I agree with you that other targets are of much higher priority but , we are on their radar as part of the EU and we are a soft target.

Its not hugely likely but we should be aware of the possibility, and not be congratulating ourselves on how immune to all this we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I think the next spectacular will be ... Paris. Then ... Paris.

Psychologically I think hits on continental Europe's most beloved city is a big win. And they want to entice ground troops into the caliphate.

[QUOTE=Eugene Norman;97760427 they want to entice ground troops into the caliphate.[/QUOTE]

Thats it in a nutshell, and France is going for the bait...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

XR3i wrote: »
    "terrorists stuck in traffic jam"

but the garda would be stuck in the traffic jam as well ;)

• Advertisement

I think the next spectacular will be ... Paris. Then ... Paris.

Psychologically I think hits on continental Europe's most beloved city is a big win. And they want to entice ground troops into the caliphate.

i fear berlin could be next

Advertisement