Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Open 2015 - St Andrews - July 16th-19th *mod warning #201*

Options
  • 07-07-2015 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭

250px-2015_Open_Championship.png

The 144th Open Championship is nearly upon us.

All the talk for now is on Rory McIlroy, but it should be a good week with or without him, all of the pressure will be on Spieth, it would be amazing if he could do it.

Harrington, McIlroy, Lowry and McDowell are the Irish in the field.

I've got tickets for the Sunday again this year, already dreaming of fellow Offaly man Lowry winning it.

I may leave my step ladder at home though.

ohu9drc.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Less than a week to go.. can't wait. Random prediction time... expect Shane Lowry and Tommy Fleetwood to be up there come Sunday evening next week.

https://twitter.com/TheOpen/status/619427649245417472

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Round 1 and 2 tee times have been released

http://www.theopen.com/TeeTimes#!/R1

Paul Dunne out with Todd Hamilton and James Hahn.

Lowry out with Goosen and Streelman.

McDowell out with Simpsona and Schniederjans.

Clarke out with Manassero and Langasque.

Harrington out with Marc Warren and Liamg Wen-Chong.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

HighLine wrote: »
    Less than a week to go.. can't wait. Random prediction time... expect Shane Lowry and Tommy Fleetwood to be up there come Sunday evening next week.

https://twitter.com/TheOpen/status/619427649245417472

Tommy Fleetwood....AKA. the slowest player on tour. My God he is painful to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Here's hoping Tom Watson makes the cut and gets to walk up the 18th on Sunday. As the winner of five claret jugs he should get a rousing reception. Not forgetting Faldo, - sorry Sir Nick Faldo (3 wins) who will also be making his last appearance as a competitor.

Incidentally, Watson's five claret jugs and winner's gold medals are on display at the British Golf Museum in St. Andrews until the end of September.

http://www.theopen.com/NewsVideo/News/2015/06/Tom-Watson-brings-five-Claret-Jugs-to-St-Andrews-for-British-Golf-Museum-exhibition-in-his-honour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

coylemj wrote: »
    Here's hoping Tom Watson makes the cut and gets to walk up the 18th on Sunday. As the winner of five claret jugs he should get a rousing reception. Not forgetting Faldo, - sorry Sir Nick Faldo (3 wins) who will also be making his last appearance as a competitor.

Watson - a class act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Incidentally, Watson's five claret jugs and winner's gold medals are on display at the British Golf Museum in St. Andrews until the end of September.

http://www.theopen.com/NewsVideo/News/2015/06/Tom-Watson-brings-five-Claret-Jugs-to-St-Andrews-for-British-Golf-Museum-exhibition-in-his-honour

Faldo has more recently said this will not be his last Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tiger out with Jason Day and Louis Oosthuizen

I'm out with Patrick Reed and Lee Westwood

MikeSD wrote: »
    Faldo has more recently said this will not be his last Open.

Well of course. He couldnt have his final open by overshadowed by Watson's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

poteen wrote: »
    Tommy Fleetwood....AKA. the slowest player on tour. My God he is painful to watch
    Is Fleetwood been tipped because of his Dunhill Links results?

Looks like early morning starters on Thurs will get the best of the conditions. Good news for Shane Lowry.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gfn0848v1#?fcTime=1437004800
    And Friday afternoon starters also getting the better weather for the day. Also good news for Lowry!

• Advertisement

Is Fleetwood been tipped because of his Dunhill Links results?

One of the reasons... his combined score for his last 4 rounds at St Andrews was -26! That combined with him showing some good form this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Looks like early morning starters on Thurs will get the best of the conditions. Good news for Shane Lowry.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gfn0848v1#?fcTime=1437004800
    And Friday afternoon starters also getting the better weather for the day. Also good news for Lowry!

I wouldn't set much store by a weather forecast for the east coast of Scotland three and four days out - I'd check again on Wednesday before you visit the green shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Opens at St.Andrews often seem to produce runaway winners, Faldo, Woods X2, Oosthuizen, hoping for a dramatic finish like Daly/Rocca in 95.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rikand wrote: »
    Well of course. He couldnt have his final open by overshadowed by Watson's.

In fairness, three time champion IIRC and he commented that he would like this to be all about Tom, but yeah I hear ya at the same time...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Opens at St.Andrews often seem to produce runaway winners, Faldo, Woods X2, Oosthuizen, hoping for a dramatic finish like Daly/Rocca in 95.

Thought last weekends Euro and PGA finishes were both excellent, either of those would be great...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

HighLine wrote: »
    One of the reasons... his combined score for his last 4 rounds at St Andrews was -26! That combined with him showing some good form this year too.

I had also seen Oosthuizen scored exactly the same as Fleetwood in last years AD Links at St.Andrews, R3: 62 R4: 68 (-14). 62 is the course record.
    Louis also shot 63 in 2013 and 69 in 2012 at St.Andrews. For a combined -21 for his last 4 rounds at St.Andrews. And it could have been better if he was in the running (Carnoustie and Kingsbarn scores prevented him from playing the 4th rounds at St.Andrews in '13 and '12)
    And of course he won the Open in '10 at St.Andrews (-16)

I wouldn't set much store by a weather forecast for the east coast of Scotland three and four days out - I'd check again on Wednesday before you visit the green shop!

Sage advice! Yea the 'summer' weather coming in from the North Sea to St.Andrews Bay is a different proposition than.. Puget Sound for example.
    I wont be going to the Green shop on Lowry anyhows. I think there are better alternatives:)
    Weather update: Still looks good for Lowry!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

What are the chances that Jordan Speith winning and take over the world No 1 from Rory? He seems like a nice guy full of confidence. Interesting that he decided to play (and win) the John Deere the week before and not play the Scottish. Rickie will also be full of confidence. Lowry undoubtebly has the ability and I would love to see him do it. It would put him right up there with Harrington, McElroy, McDowell and Clarke...

Watson - a class act.
    I generally dont care too much about Golfers who are not Irish. But i was gutted for Watson in '09. To win the Open at 59 years of age would have been one of the best stories in the history of the game. He handled the defeat so well.
    I also thought Cink left Watson standing back at the playoff hole for longer than was required. Either Cink was late or Watson was early. Fair play Tom!

So Graham DeLaet had his clubs misplaced by AerLingus unfortunately...

https://twitter.com/GrahamDeLaet/status/620469446671474688

They did however locate them today... better late than never you would think...
    https://twitter.com/GrahamDeLaet/status/620934566929432576

Or maybe not....
    https://twitter.com/GrahamDeLaet/status/620945858293596160

• Advertisement

In fairness, the state of the clubs above had nothing to do with AerLingus, there was a "protein powder explosion" inside the bag apparently. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can't wait for this week.

This year saw a slight change, but we don't get enough links Golf on Tour IMO.

Hopefully the weather is not too bad. Lowry is the only real realistic Irish challenge. I think he has a major in him, but not this time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Anyone ever been over to St Andrews for an open? Going this year but not sure what to expect. Hear it's not a great course for viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MYOPIA

According to YR.NO Friday will be wet and very windy particularly a.m.

Afternoon starters e.g. Oosthuizen [ has to play with TW Circus ], Day, Spieth, Dustin Johnson may get lucky.

However the BBC are predicting rain and 40mph wind gusts for Friday p.m.
    So a.m. starters e.g. Fowler,Rose,Casey,Grace would benefit.

Who do we believe , Norwegians or British ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

There's a video doing the rounds of Paul Dunne on the range with Speith behind him....

What an experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Am I deluded thinking Ernie could have a say in the mix if he makes the cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭CONSI

As with all Links courses the weather is the only real defence...and where you are out in the draw and when/if weather hits and lose you the competition...if it stays calm then the usual suspects will be in with a chance...if the wind gets up its anyone's tournament...

MYOPIA wrote: »

Afternoon starters e.g. Oosthuizen [ has to play with TW Circus ], Day, Spieth, Dustin Johnson may get lucky.

I choose to believe the more likely scenario

The whole of Friday is going to be a washout ;)

MYOPIA wrote: »

I think YR are definitely off on the winds and to a lesser extent rain. From looking at the charts on Netweather, it looks like

Thursday am: Light winds sub 10mph, no rain
    Thursday pm: Winds strengthening to 20+mph with light rain

Friday am: Strong winds up to 30mph at times with heavy rain
    Friday pm: Very strong winds with gusts near 40mph towards evening but less rain post lunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Champions Challenge on now for anyone with BBC

Advertisement