Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I like Tags whilst knowing I could get better quality for the same money (Oris for a start) but will get either an Aquaracer or Link at some stage 2nd hand because I'm not stupid although it would probably be a keeper anyway purely as an aspirational thing from my youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭893bet

A seagull reissue won’t work well with a shirt. It’s a 15mm thick watch. Not the easiest to slip under a cuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

dinorebel wrote: »
    I like Tags whilst knowing I could get better quality for the same money (Oris for a start) but will get either an Aquaracer or Link at some stage 2nd hand because I'm not stupid although it would probably be a keeper anyway purely as an aspirational thing from my youth.

Is an Oris really better than a Tag though? They are probably quite equal. Tag just suffers from being shat on by everyone where as Oris is independent, good value...... etc. In terms of quality, there isn't anything between them really.

Everytime someone fancies buying a Tag, it always seems like they feel the need to justify to other people why they are buying them. If that's the watch you like, buy it used. I know that's what you are saying you will do so not talking about you specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

redlead wrote: »
    Is an Oris really better than a Tag though? They are probably quite equal. Tag just suffers from being shat on by everyone where as Oris is independent, good value...... etc. In terms of quality, there isn't anything between them really. .

You are right, they deserve equal treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

What do ye make of the 1963 Seagull reissues? I think they're absolutely gorgeous but would have to do an international order to get one so couldn't see it first.

Is it the type of thing that looks ok with jeans / t / casual shirt? Is the quality consistent if you get a legit one?

With the 1963 - there isn't an "official" Sea-Gull one (other than the D304) - the rest would all be microbrands/assembled by independent factories with ST19 Sea-Gull movements. Hked has probably the best ones that I know of (and most authentic to the original).

I've got a "red star" 1963 bought a few years ago and it's a nice little thing - not worn that often to be honest and more something to have in the collection (as the Speedy would be my go to manual wind chrono). The blued hands and vintage style dial is pretty cool in hand.

ST19s can be tempermental - it's why I'd recommend getting one from HKED who should perform good qc on his watches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

What do ye make of the 1963 Seagull reissues? I think they're absolutely gorgeous but would have to do an international order to get one so couldn't see it first.

Is it the type of thing that looks ok with jeans / t / casual shirt? Is the quality consistent if you get a legit one?

On 'seeing it first' you will just have to read the returns policy of the vendor carefully and go for it preferably using PayPal.

Yes it will go perfectly with smart-casual clothing and was the first of my watches my wife expressed a like for "Oh I see you're wearing your nice watch again". :)

They are all 'legit' but as the owner of a standard type and a HKED panda type from Red Star got on Aliexpress I'd recommend the standard one for a first time buyer. Probably buy from a reputable European vendor like Poljot24 in Germany who I've had nothing but good experiences buying from.

At the end of the day it's your money and it's you who's going to decide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

unkel wrote: »
    Every watch looks ok with jeans / t / casual shirt :cool:

Thinking back now and I have only worn a suit & tie at weddings and funerals in the last decade or so. Formal really is an outdated look. My normal costume is jeans / t or a nice shirt if dressing up.

Looks like going to a funeral is a thing of the past now too. There's going to be a lot of suits (because they won't fit us) and ties in charity shops when covid is over.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

blue5000 wrote: »
    Looks like going to a funeral is a thing of the past now too. There's going to be a lot of suits (because they won't fit us) and ties in charity shops when covid is over.

Speaking of suits, most of the major retailers are discounting heavily and particularly in the UK.
    Was considering buying a couple but really don't need any more.
    Very regular suit sales being highlighted over on HdUK

Was only talking about covid kilos with the Mrs last night.
    I can hand on heart say I've not gained any weight.
    Keep an eye on it as part of my diabetes management and it's been stable at @100kg since November 19.
    Big difference from my heaviest at 120kg, and I had dropped as low as 93kg but looked awful!
    Hit equilibrium at 100kg and it's made a big difference to my diabetes.
    Managed 16 months without insulin, and despite having to go back on it recently, it's at a 3rd of what I dosed at previously.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Type 1 or 2? My mother and younger brother are both type 1. I seem to have escaped so far. I didn't know about suits being reduced, perhaps dress watches will be too!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Type 1 or 2? My mother and younger brother are both type 1. I seem to have escaped so far. I didn't know about suits being reduced, perhaps dress watches will be too!

I am the awkward bastárd lovechild of diabetes,Type 1.5, not watch related I know but the current research points to diabetes being a spectrum rather than the mainly accepted T1/1.5/2 categories.
    Was originally diagnosed as a type 2, at 26 very fit playing high level rugby and not at all a usual T2 presentation.

I keep getting the economics of this bloody outbreak wrong ;)
    So don't pay too much heed to me :P but there is a surfeit of stock across every industry that will either have to be discounted on the output side, or in the longer term held as inventory and production at least slowed at the input side of the equation.
    Be it consumer goods, agricultural, and a whole swathe of other business lines, impact is huge.

• Advertisement

Put it this way - even in our law firm (considered pretty conservative by most) - a year ago we switched to casual dress - so sweaters and chinos for the guys generally.

I say the suit may be a dying form of dress if even the law firms aren't requiring them anymore - relegated to black tie and weddings perhaps.

The partners in our firm were initially against the idea but then discovered how comfy sweaters/turtlenecks/jumpers are and you almost never see a suit being worn in the office (when we were still in the office) except when meeting clients.

Saves a ton on dry cleaning bills too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Put it this way - even in our law firm (considered pretty conservative by most) - a year ago we switched to casual dress - so sweaters and chinos for the guys generally.

I say the suit may be a dying form of dress if even the law firms aren't requiring them anymore - relegated to black tie and weddings perhaps.

The partners in our firm were initially against the idea but then discovered how comfy sweaters/turtlenecks/jumpers are and you almost never see a suit being worn in the office (when we were still in the office) except when meeting clients.

Saves a ton on dry cleaning bills too!

if lads are wearing turtle necks to work id be bringing suits back pronto :D

i love a nice suit but like that i only really wear one when travelling to our office in london or if we have an industry event, otherwise we dont really wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,868 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's very interesting, isn't it? Gone even in the most conservative professions as Thirdfox says. Back in the 90s everybody working in an office in Ireland wore a suit & tie. Even the most junior staff. Later on in the 00s like Cyrus I only wore it when going to customer sites, but that habit has long died since too. Jeans and decent shirt and decent shoes is fine now. The new business costume :D

Plenty places won't facilitate jeans Mon to Thurs. You'd have half the office in bootcut stuff or Wranglers from the 80s I expect is their fear :pac:
    Folk wearing suits without a tie is popular now also, looks terrible IMO. If you don't want to wear a tie don't wear a suit.

Augeo wrote: »
    Folk wearing suits without a tie is popular now also, looks terrible IMO. If you don't want to wear a tie don't wear a suit.

id thanks this twice if i could :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Cyrus wrote: »
    id thanks this twice if i could :D

Even before Covid I noticed at conferences and when lecturing that the young guys all wore sports jackets, shirts and trousers...no tie, shirt at various states of unbuttoning.

It seems that a full suit is more held for the older speaker, and the california tech scene has put out the impression that the conformity of the suit shows you lack imagination and drive.

Fitz II wrote: »
    Even before Covid I noticed at conferences and when lecturing that the young guys all wore sports jackets, shirts and trousers...no tie, shirt at various states of unbuttoning.

It seems that a full suit is more held for the older speaker, and the california tech scene has put out the impression that the conformity of the suit shows you lack imagination and drive.

personally if im wearing a suit its with a tie, if im not wearing a tie its a blazer and chinos but i dont like a suit with no tie and no one that ive seen wearing it like that has changed my mind so far :)

Cyrus wrote: »
    personally if im wearing a suit its with a tie, if im not wearing a tie its a blazer and chinos but i dont like a suit with no tie and no one that ive seen wearing it like that has changed my mind so far :)

I dunno Cyrus...
    A lot of young lads looked like this when I made my communion!
    And they're all 40-ish now :P but still nowhere near as cool ;)
    MiamiVice.jpg?w=980&q=75

Oh dear. I just got turned to black dials by a post on Reddit. Seiko SRP467J1.

https://www.reddit.com/comments/jjldui

Google for a less stylised pic.

SEIKO-SRP467J1-0.jpg

Are Presage a good buy? I don't have any automatics and a shop in Vietnam actually has this one for $600, but in a different city. Gorgeous dial and it has the Japanese days but numbers instead of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Looks great! Much prefer the strap in the image in the imbedded

• Advertisement

Oh dear. I just got turned to black dials by a post on Reddit. Seiko SRP467J1.

https://www.reddit.com/comments/jjldui

Google for a less stylised pic.

Are Presage a good buy? I don't have any automatics and a shop in Vietnam actually has this one for $600, but in a different city. Gorgeous dial and it has the Japanese days but numbers instead of days.

Generally the Seikos actually have two day types - both English and Japanese/Chinese - you can switch between the two easily - it goes 一 Mon 二 Tue 三 Wed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

gjnqsc3f13w51.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Cash, watches, designer clothes seized in CAB searches
    http://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/1029/1174759-cab-dublin-wicklow/

A day date seized, real or fake I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Classic American haute horology

mcdonalds-print060731_0.jpg

We joke about rotund Americans (and by golly there are a lot - my 49kg/108lb wife once strapped herself into an "obese size" rollercoaster seat in Universal Studios Orlando - extra excitement for her doing the loop de loops trying not to get flung out of her seat) - what I found living there for the year was how many sculpted/super fit people there are too - seems like a really clear affluent/less affluent divide - sure you have the $1 Mickie D burgers and 32oz cups (and cup holders in cars) - but you have amazingly fit people there too (and a lot of them - depending on what neighbours you're walking around in).

• Registered Users Posts: 64,868 ✭✭✭✭unkel

what I found living there for the year was how many sculpted/super fit people there are too

You must have been living in California so :p

Not even - actually Atlanta Georgia... then again I was in their private university on exchange and boy are the people "rich" - seems like middle class meant below $300k annual salary - at least to fellow Emorians...

But yes - driving around in Miami in our special V8 Dodge Charger convertible I felt like a peasant compared to the exotic cars on display there - amazing wealth in the US, though working for Atlanta Legal Aid there was terrible poverty too - such a country of contrasts/extremes (not unlike the fit and flab bodies on display).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

such a country of contrasts/extremes (not unlike the fit and flab bodies on display).
    +1. America is the land of contradictions and in many many spheres.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1. America is the land of contradictions and in many many spheres.

+2 Have worked in Lake County Illinois, Hickory North Carolina, San Francisco California and Waynesboro Virginia. Such an amazingly diverse country but good god the contrasts in everyday life are crazy. Racism is absolutely everywhere. Poverty is rife (the amount of homelessness in Washington DC is mindboggling). So many people have never left their state, never mind the country. I've met some amazing people and some who make you despair.

I both love and despise the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

What’s the state of the US watch industry at the moment? Hamilton is part of the Swatch group, right? I know Shinola trumpets is Americanness, but beyond that I’m struggling, probably some Kickstarters. Is Ball American still?

Advertisement