Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

1189190191192193195»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So who gets the last on this thread now that the 10k limit has been breached? ;)

I think it should finish on Wibbs' opus above :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

redlead wrote: »
    Going to have to pull you up there. Breitling specifically provided the on board chronometer for spitfires and other aircraft to the RAF throughout the 30s and 40s. I think the Navitimer came out in the early 50s and was a ground breaking "tool" watch at the time. You have to bare in mind that they were very much tool watches back then more than luxury pieces. They certainly weren't the first pilots watches but their aviation heritage is very much legitimate. Obviously now its all just marketing BS, the same as any luxury watch brand. To be fair to Breitling actually, they do still try to make modern relevant tool watches. That emergency one they have is a great piece of kit to have even now. I think someone on here actually has one.

My father was presented with a clock out of the panel of a Hurricane by one of his mechanics. Unfortunately it was stolen in the Early 80's. That one at least I don't think was made by Breitling. The chronometer my father was issued for navigating his Spitfires, Hurricanes, et al, was a Jaeger LeCoutre pocket watch. The wrist watch he was issued with was an Omega. But sure, I'll accept your correction as I was unaware Breitling made clocks for the RAF.

Edit: Wibbs has jogged my memory there with his excellent depth of knowledge, it was made by Smith's. I remember handling it with interest before it was installed in the boat my father built, from whence it was later stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Did he get to keep the JLC pocket watch? Would love to see that

redlead wrote: »
    Did he get to keep the JLC pocket watch? Would love to see that

Yes, I still have it and the Omega. JLC still runs, Omega might be restorable in the right hands (anyone any ideas on this?)

JLC: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114893300&postcount=9572 and more on subsequent pages.

Omega: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114830267&postcount=9464

I find it surreal to think these objects were hurtling through the skies in a Spitfire and multiple other types of single seat fighter during WW2.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd say your Omega is well restorable C. The dial is in great nick, the alloy cases tend to go abit crusty, but are fixable and the movement should come back to life handily enough. Might need a balance staff, but the movement is a good one and many were made so should be easy enough to source one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Strangely, I have another watch I personally think is more remarkable than the war relics. It's a Flavre Leuba ladies watch that belonged to my mother. A 16 jewel masterpiece of miniatuisation with the whole movement being about the size of the tip of my pinky. The movement is probably smaller in volume than a single link in the watch band of those enormous hulking gerat mens watches that so many seem to like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

cnocbui wrote: »
    Strangely, I have another watch I personally think is more remarkable than the war relics. It's a Flavre Leuba ladies watch that belonged to my mother. A 16 jewel masterpiece of miniatuisation with the whole movement being about the size of the tip of my pinky. The movement is probably smaller in volume than a single link in the watch band of those enormous hulking gerat mens watches that so many seem to like.

Class. Pictures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's funny how people grow to like or dislike certain brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

As a child of the 80s, watching Formula 1 with my mum, there was only one watch brand I was aware of:
    TAG Heuer.

Didn't know till later that the company developed the modern transponder-based timing system used by most motorsport.

And even later discovered the character that was a Jack Heuer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I've been looking through my vintage National Geographics and found two more watch adverts that I hadn't noticed before. The first's another full-page Hamilton, this time from a couple of years earlier, June 1939 and a smaller one, a Girard Perregaux chrono, in the November 1938 edition.

530336.jpg

530337.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah, it has many influences for each individual. Depends on the type of collector(or not) too. Familial connections, childhood memories, perceptions of status, mechanical(or even electrical) engineering considerations, horological interest, advertising, cultural background. It's kinda mad. :) T'is a broad church.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I've been looking through my vintage National Geographics and found two more watch adverts that I hadn't noticed before. The first's another full-page Hamilton, this time from a couple of years earlier, June 1939 and a smaller one, a Girard Perregaux chrono, in the November 1938 edition.
    When I see ads like that aimed at young men from that time I always have the thought in the back of my head that they don't realise what's coming and how many wouldn't be coming back.

Wandered into a Casio store here in Hanoi and left with this.

ts4x4q7.jpg

GWN-Q1000. A favourite weekend warrior.

http://imgur.com/a/DtuGAac

530411.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Cienciano wrote: »
    Lorddrakul wrote: »
    As a child of the 80s, watching Formula 1 with my mum, there was only one watch brand I was aware of:
    TAG Heuer.

Didn't know till later that the company developed the modern transponder-based timing system used by most motorsport.

And even later discovered the character that was a Jack Heuer.

Absolutely no offense, but I never liked Tags myself. There's something about them being a 'Laaaads' watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Birneybau wrote: »
    Absolutely no offense, but I never liked Tags myself. There's something about them being a 'Laaaads' watch.

That's it, people will like or dislike certain brands for all sorts of reasons. Wibbs mentioned a few reasons. For some reason I want an in house movement. Makes zero sense in the sub €1000 category. Annoys me when I see a watch I like and find out it uses a perfectly good ETA movement. What the hell does it matter? I don't know, but it's something I need. That obviously doesn't go for microbrands btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wandered into a Casio store here in Hanoi and left with this.
    SNIP

Ads,

Thats fantastic, and I'm not sure whether its just nostalgia or not, but from my memory it looks just like the watch I had through my teens.

Do you know the model number of it?
    Is it a re-issue Casio have done? Or an actual vintage watch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭893bet

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ads,

Thats fantastic, and I'm not sure whether its just nostalgia or not, but from my memory it looks just like the watch I had through my teens.

Do you know the model number of it?
    Is it a re-issue Casio have done? Or an actual vintage watch?

Agree. It’s rare I have any want for a Casio but that looks noice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,190 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Well hello there beautiful

I’ll take some proper pics later over the weekend

Kir3f4A.jpg

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    Omega doesnt have the feels for me the way Rolex does, although I cannot fault the quality of Omega watches. Rolex has an solidity to it, and a quality of materials that is hard to put your finger on. Steinhart is not even in the ballpark and one wind of the crown and you are immediately reminded that its nowhere near. Steinhart is good dont get me wrong, but its many grades below.
    ty.

I think Omega quality is > Rolex but agree on the subjective “feels” a Rolex does give.

Steinhart lack any identify IMO. They never moved on and are still doing the same old homages.

Even their new “Cermit”. I think they might have realised it before the new Rolex version even, but due to a lack of their own identity immediately it is now a Rolex Cermit homage.

I don’t get Steinhart sizing. Their 42mm are too big. Their 39mm too small.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Well hello there beautiful

I’ll take some proper pics later

She is a looker! Congrats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Wow Cyrus, thats some piece. Must be the only perpetual calendar on the forum, how is the size? She thick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,190 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fitz II wrote: »
    Wow Cyrus, thats some piece. Must be the only perpetual calendar on the forum, how is the size? She thick?

12mm being hand wound helps

Feels just right to be honest !

Cyrus wrote: »
    12mm being hand wound helps

Feels just right to be honest !

I would say to fit the number of complications in and maintain a crystal at the year would be difficult to be thinner.

Tease us with a side profile and rear shot also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The JLC is stunning Cyrus, really beautiful.

The mechanics behind running the time and what is it? 6 or so complications?

Is absolutely mind bendingly amazing IMO.

Well wear, and enjoy it!

• Advertisement

Well C's JLC is a good ending to this thread as it nears the 10k limit and Cyrus was the first post on this one all those eleven years ago. :eek: New thread will open...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement