Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

A couple of late Christmas presents to myself...

Seiko Presage Starlight SRPC01

IMG-20190116-105213.jpg

Updated my SKX007 with custom bezel and insert plus Strapcode bracelet

IMG-20190116-112013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

470744.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Now that's a brand you don't see often enough. Nice. :) Very 70's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭porker36

and then along comes two :)

470756.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭furiousox

I have an Omega Speedy which I like to keep for evening and weekend wear.

I'm thinking of adding a Tissot for day to day use but don't know a lot about Tissot as a brand tbh, is it well regarded?

I like the look of both of these two, may go for one or both?

The PRC always stood out to me in a jewellers window.
    The XL has a look of IWC about it?

What's the verdict? All advice welcome :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tissot-T17158652-PRC200-Chronograph-Quartz/dp/B000L3CHC0

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-gb/shop/t1166171605700.html

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

The SKX011J1 just back from its natural habitat :D

470763.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

furiousox wrote: »
    I'm thinking of adding a Tissot for day to day use but don't know a lot about Tissot as a brand tbh, is it well regarded?

I like the look of both of these two, may go for one or both?

I had a prc200 years ago, they’re great for the price. I found it wore a little small, but I was into bigger watches than I am now.

Tissot are a good brand - part of the swatch family (so Hamilton, Omega etc). I think they’d generally be regarded as an entry level, mainstream Swiss watch brand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To join the party, a very dirty phone pic of my early 30's Zenith. :o

470766.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Wibbs does the crown shoot out like a James bond watch ?

*Takes aim at 2Shea* :D It's a pilots watch and at the time many aircraft had open cockpits and bugger all had heated cockpits so pilots wore gloves and the big crown made it easier for them to wind and adjust things wearing gloves. It was an absolutely massive watch for the period. 42mm across minus crown when most men's watches were under 30mm, for reasons of legibility for pilots(and a bigger balance wheel was more accurate). It had one piece lugs to attach a longer strap when needed as they were often worn outside on the jacket or gloves, sometimes on the leg. Here's a modern reenactment as it were*.

watch-pilot.jpg

They also had compasses for the wrist. Again worn on the outside of flight suits/gloves. Here's one of those, a matching pair. The Zenith would originally have had a riveted on leather strap too.

470768.jpg

The Zenith was mad radioactive in the past, the compass is slightly radioactive. So that's pretty James Bond I suppose. :D

*EDIT, that's a terrible reconstruction pic at the top. :s He's wearing the watch on the right wrist which he wouldn't even if he was left handed as the throttles are on the left and his right hand would be on the joystick, the left wrist being more visible and stable. Plus even if he was left handed and a contortionist with the skillz of an Indian Fakir he couldn't wind nor adjust the time without taking the watch off.

• Advertisement

What do you mean was mad radioactive?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

the lume that was used is radioactive i guess. applied liberally and wasnt the safe stuff like they have nowadays. but i could be wrong, wibbs knows best about this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭scotchy

223.jpg

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 34,606 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wibbs wrote: »
    To join the party, a very dirty phone pic of my early 30's Zenith. :o

Jaysus, there's enough radium lume on that to call in a hazardous waste removal team :D

Ever run it passed a Geiger counter?

Absolutely gorgeous watch, love the massive crown.

Good point and question MG.

Well the basic gist was back in the 90's someone I knew was in college(can't recall the degree(, but she was doing some investigations into sources of radiation in the home and general environment. Radon and that sorta thing. She looked at things like smoke detectors, antique glass, older electronics and the like and watches came up. Knowing I had a few old watches including this family "heirloom" she asked me for any that had luminous dials. Coolaboola. A few days later I get a phonecall with her telling me that that particular dial was very "hot". I can't remember the numbers, but I do remember terms like; "low level nuclear waste", "dangerous" and so on. The dial was pretty ropey then. Radium lume is very hygroscopic, it sucks up moisture in the air to beat the band, so had partially rotted the dial. The radiation had impacted the dial too. Here's another example of a similar watch where the radiation burned into the acrylic crystal.

1418a239e1dc74516a414e0258ea6bca.jpg

So just a tad concerned by this I had the dial redone to the original design and had the movement throughly cleaned as the radium can turn to dust over time and permeate everything inside the case. It's clean now.

On radioactive dials on older watches, I would generally not be too worried about stuff from say the 50's on, even the 40's on as the mixes got more refined with much less radium. Tritium I'd worry about even less. The type of radiation it gives off is stopped by the case and crystal and even if it gets out, it'll be stopped by your skin(unless you breathe some in)The main concern with such watches would be to a watchmaker who opens the case.

Of older than 1940 stuff, I would be most concerned with World War One "Trench watches". They really lobbed the stuff on and didn't realise the dangers. They can be extremely hot and my advice there would be to get the dial, hands and movement cleaned. They usually had enamel dials which don't get burnt in and are have much more longevity than painted metal dials.

Joke is as a kid I used to sleep with that watch on the beside table, even sometimes under my pillow, because the ticking sent me off to sleep. :eek:

Me. Earlier.
    Mutant2.gif
    More wrists for watches I say. :D

emo72 wrote: »
    i could be wrong, wibbs knows best about this stuff.
    Hahahahahhaahha.... oh wait... :eek: Oh god no, you're so wrong*. :D
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Absolutely gorgeous watch, love the massive crown.
    Thanks O. It's defo my "my world is on fire which one do I take" watch.

*My studied field is Bullshite and I do have a Phd in that. Available for lectures and peer review boards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Something else about radiation I read on a forum somewhere; be careful about buying an old watchmaker's desk, where do you reckon all the old lume falls out when they take a watch apart?

I wonder do old watchmakers have higher than average cancer rates?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

blue5000 wrote:
    I wonder do old watchmakers have higher than average cancer rates?

Old watchmakers don't die... They just shine brighter

First Seiko, first automatic. It starts...

470839.jpg

First Seiko, first automatic. It starts...
    Congrats, lovely watch.

As it is your first automatic, in case you are not aware: don't adjust the date when the time is between 9pm and 3am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Congrats, lovely watch.

As it is your first automatic, in case you are not aware: don't adjust the date when the time is between 9pm and 3am.

Because it will cause a paradox in the space-time continuum?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

fat bloke wrote: »
    Why's that?

Because it will cause a paradox in the space-time continuum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

fat bloke wrote: »
    Because it will cause a paradox in the space-time continuum?

ah I seen what you done there :)

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

First auto, slippery slope. God help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Picked up this during the week. I was in an AD trying on a few different watches and tried this on and surprisingly loved it, whereas I hated the yacht master I was planning on getting

470850.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

That is one beauteous watch. Great purchase.
    Time wrote: »
    Picked up this during the week. I was in an AD trying on a few different watches and tried this on and surprisingly loved it, whereas I hated the yacht master I was planning on getting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

20190119_224752.jpg

I am no watch collector, but I do like a plain and simple watch. I bought this 20 years ago, and its my only watch.

Its in desperate need to a clean/service but works great..

SB

470851.jpg

:eek: As a Longines man, you have my vote. Mid/Late 40's? Classic dial, not a redial either. Niiiice. And you have a box for it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Wibbs wrote: »
    :eek: As a Longines man, you have my vote. Mid/Late 40's? Classic dial, not a redial either. Niiiice. And you have a box for it too?

I seem to remember it was a World War 2 era pilot's dress watch, so you are spot on with the date. It seemed virtually unused with a pristine box.. the strap went about 10 years ago so I just replaced it myself with a strap from the local Woolworths. I really want to get it serviced and cleaned.

Will the box or watch have some indicator of actual date you can point me too ?

I cant think of ever parting with it as its just what I want, but I only really wear it on special occasions now as I don't want to damage it (not sure if it has much value but it would be hard to replace no doubt).

SB

• Advertisement

To find another would be hard enough and would cost a fair few quid to do so. Particularly with it being so original.

Date wise there will be a serial number, usually on the inside of the case back and movement. That'll give you the year. The box may be later. I say that because the tag on the bottom left says Longines Wittnauer. Though they had a few connections before, Longines bought the Wittnauer company in 1950, so the tag anyway is likely post that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement