Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post a pic of your bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

blade1 wrote: »
    Did you buy that in Meskell's?
    Remember seeing one there 4 or 5 years ago.

No - they have several of them but I don't think they are for sale. I bought mine from a mate who spent a winter restoring it and needed to raise the price of a Panigale.
    Cocoon wrote: »
    I had one 30 years ago, sold it for a grand. Should have left it in the shed.

Ah bikes come and go and the nostalgia isn't always all it's cracked up to be. I wish I hadn't sold any of my old bikes but you can't keep them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Itineoman

If you're of a certain age these may bring a smile. Dug them out over the weekend and started them. CG fired on the third kick.

CG 125 1979

507502.jpg

CB 125 1973

507503.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Those bikes are cool!:) How long you have em? Was there mch work needed to get the humming?

Interceptor there's a fella in white gate Cork has an identical one. Used to see it about 5 yrs ago there when working. How does the performance rate today?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Itineoman

CG is basically unbreakable. Last started in 2014 - same petrol and just gave it a kick. Amazing.
    CB needed a battery and a bit of fettling. There's a huge difference. I'd trust the CG to go anywhere. CB reminds me of the many failed outings we had in the seventies. So many adventures that ended with someone breaking down and afternoons at the side of the road soaked in petrol and fiddling with dodgy electrics. Wouldn't leave the house without a bag of spanners. Still worth the delicious feel of the low slung CB. It's a joy to ride.
    Edit - I bought them all along with the CB550f i posted a a few weeks ago. I got them in 2004 in the UK. I was building a house at the time and had a van. It was a bit of fun to go over and pick them up. Got them on eBay when they were not yet popular. I could see the mid-life crisis thing coming on and planned in advance.
    Thanks for the earlier advice on the 550. It's in the capable hands of CB motorcycles in Cork. I'll post a few pics when its done.
    Here it is in 2012 https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111834583 Things of beauty all.

And it feels like being eighteen again when I sit on them.
    If only.....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hondas are like Toyotas. Used to be engineered like a Swiss watch, now they're "value engineered" i.e. made good enough for most people, for most use cases.

Grand for 100,000km but then everything wears out at once. I had a CBR600F-W from new, best bike I ever owned, sporty, fast, touriffic but it was pretty much wrecked five years later when I'd put 62,000 miles on it. A fúcking self-destruct timer couldn't have done it better, but I'd got my money's worth out of it then I suppose (IR£8000!)

That's an advance on the 80s Honda Superdreams which were in bits after 40,000 miles...

507576.jpg

And H - I remember you on your Futura, a long time ago :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Hondas are like Toyotas. Used to be engineered like a Swiss watch, now they're "value engineered" i.e. made good enough for most people, for most use cases.

Grand for 100,000km but then everything wears out at once. I had a CBR600F-W from new, best bike I ever owned, sporty, fast, touriffic but it was pretty much wrecked five years later when I'd put 62,000 miles on it. A fúcking self-destruct timer couldn't have done it better, but I'd got my money's worth out of it then I suppose (IR£8000!)

That's an advance on the 80s Honda Superdreams which were in bits after 40,000 miles...

507576.jpg

And H - I remember you on your Futura, a long time ago :)

If by futura you mean red falco which was always chasing after Rory and Jay lol then I think I know who you are too from looking at that bike. Are you the lad who was heavy into mag, Eoin was it?

Yep that was me...
    Ah, the Futura was someobody else :)
    I had a brief spin on a red Falco, probably yours so :) Had a nice low-down torque (notably absent on a 600, of course) and quite a top-end rush as well
    SV1000 has low-down torque, you're just not inclined to use it as there's a horrible clutch vibration on most of them at 2500-3000rpm, and there's nothing much at the top end either - they tamed the TL motor too much - it's just soooo linear, once out of clutch-shredding rev range it doesn't really matter what gear you pick.

I do miss the Triumph 955 motor, you could fully open the throttle at idle going up a hill and it'd just smoothly pull like a train, no vibes, no drama...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Yep that was me...
    I had a brief spin on a red Falco, probably yours so :) Had a nice low-down torque (notably absent on a 600, of course) and quite a top-end rush as well
    SV1000 has low-down torque, you're just not inclined to use it as there's a horrible clutch vibration on most of them at 2500-3000rpm, and there's nothing much at the top end either - they tamed the TL motor too much - it's just soooo linear, once out of clutch-shredding rev range it doesn't really matter what gear you pick.

I do miss the Triumph 955 motor, you could fully open the throttle at idle going up a hill and it'd just smoothly pull like a train, no vibes, no drama...

Futura was Dave (Howlin's cousin iirc)

lennymc wrote: »
    Yep that was me...

Mad stuff, that was getting on 20yrs ago now. I do actually remember you taking a go of it. Someone ran outta juice on the gap and we stopped as I had a siphon (ehh of sorts) and you had a ging off it lol. It sounded great.

Plentiful torque was the goal as I wanted to get away from screaming revs which is why I traded my new cbr6fs at the time into the gem for the falco. Good times on her.
    You should get another triple so Eoin! The delivery and character seem to suit you and riding style. I loved the look and menace of Jay's tl but found the motor as you described the sv's, too linear, il4 like actually. Give me part throttle shunt! That's where the kicks are.

Lenny buy another busa and stop dickin around on pushies ffs:)

Ps Hbd I emember when they replaced yer cbr with a gn250 whilst being worked on or something. You rung the neck out of her on the Sunday spin haha:)

Yeah I had a loan of the GN250 for a while when the CBR6 was off the road temporarily - quite a difference - it was suprisingly good through the series of tight bends near Brittas. Useless on the straights of course. I took it down to a rally in Limerick on the back roads, no motorway then but even the old N7 was too much for it.

Did the 'syphon' come in rolled up form..?

Yeah liked the triple, that said I do kinda still miss the kick when a 600 comes onto the cam...

• Advertisement

Jayo had a TL? Don't remember that. I do remember his first few spins when he had an NSR80, rode it like he stole it too, then he got a CBR250RR, had a go on Rory's one over the gap, nice bike if you are young and light and flexible and crazy enough :)

My first track day was at Mondello in the rain, there were two guys I vaguely knew who were full of themselves, one on a TL1000R and another on a VTR1000SP-2, they were sunny Sunday riders, tiptoed around like they were on ice, I just rode like on the road as usual and passed both round the outside of corners without even trying... :pac: when I did a dry track day I was useless, just couldn't commit enough :)

lennymc wrote: »

Anyone for a Mars Bar ? :)

A tad before my time with yas maybe, or actually did Howlin ride a rather tasty triumph with custom three into three underseat exhaust? Sweet machine and same fellar had a green guzzi was it a le man's?
    Whatever became of Ryan, tall Canuk with the lass on the back of the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RoryH

Couldn't read the last page and not post.. Hope y'all are doing well! :-)

Ah sure jaysus lol, howdy Rory:)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Got out for a blast on the TZR. First spin of the year would ya believe and legitimate travel it was too before anyone asks ;).

Looks like new! Well wear.

H_Lime wrote: »
    Looks like new! Well wear.

Cheers mate, close up it’s not quite perfect to be honest but it is quite improved from what it was.
    If I can dig up a photo of when I got it I’ll post it. Bit of a change.

Many years ago I was on my way home in Dublin city centre and came across a lad and his girlfriend on a TZR stuck at the side of the road. I had a two-stroke myself at the time so always carried a plug spanner. Whipped out the plug, cleaned it up and it fired up like a good 'un :) told him to give it some more beans to keep the plug clean :pac:

scudster wrote: »
    Cheers mate, close up it’s not quite perfect to be honest but it is quite improved from what it was.
    If I can dig up a photo of when I got it I’ll post it. Bit of a change.

As promised! A proper wreck she was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭sonic85

Jaysus fair play that's some transformation! I'd love to have the time/money/skills to work on a project like that

One more

Lot of work done so!
    As I'm getting older I'm finding myself attracted to less powerful bikes that deliver kicks on roads I live near without having to enter triple digit numbers. Looks like a fun bike.
    Did the engine need much work?

Lot of work done so!
    As I'm getting older I'm finding myself attracted to less powerful bikes that deliver kicks on roads I live near without having to enter triple digit numbers. Looks like a fun bike.
    Did the engine need much work?

My friend and his brother owned it before me and they would have wrung it’s neck, even used it 2 up and the pillion was 6’4”!!! Unsurprisingly It needed a full top end rebuild and the undertray was worn through from the tyre rubbing it. Cylinder over bored to second overbore, new piston, rings and gudgeon pin. Head was also replaced. Bottom end was in good shape, just replaced the crank seals and sleeve.
    She’s a fun wee yoke alright especially when it hits the powerband.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭blade1

IMG-20200408-135020.jpg

Bumped in this at the shop.
    I know the owner but it was my first time seeing this bike.
    We made an agreement that when this covid shīte is over,we'll head off for a spin somewhere.

A few minutes later came upon a Garda checkpoint.
    Rolled up trying to keep the loud exhaust as quiet as possible and wondering would they say something about no headlight.
    Got the thumbs up to motor on!!

Omg your tyres are nearly touching#sterilise yer pirellis

:)

Omg your tyres are nearly touching#sterilise yer pirellis

:)

I'll pop a wheelie later,the landing will scrub off the germs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

blade1 wrote: »
    IMG-20200408-135020.jpg

Bumped in this at the shop.
    I know the owner but it was my first time seeing this bike.
    We made an agreement that when this covid shīte is over,we'll head off for a spin somewhere.

A few minutes later came upon a Garda checkpoint.
    Rolled up trying to keep the loud exhaust as quiet as possible and wondering would they say something about no headlight.
    Got the thumbs up to motor on!!

Maybe a weekend away together.....ohh er missus........:D

Maybe a weekend away together.....ohh er missus........:D

This is her on her other KTM :D

Screenshot-20200408-184550-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

93058562_10217250919805648_655687759154905088_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=WSXXv8wqr1kAX80vkwk&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=b20cef73aee0bfe31754792e2d3c62f6&oe=5EB75325

Out and about in Vancouver. Hope you are all staying well in Ireland lads.

Advertisement