Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Pretty nice idea from Mazda here. Print off on paper, assemble and you have scale paper cars. No RX8 though :(

https://www.mazda.com/ja/csr/social/kids/papercraft/?fbclid=IwAR0FqGT5LJ3JwE9Sie_gys41lxdCiOUCYdcU12GLBWvepBznRF5s9e2Rdig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I hope they turn out better than their diesel engines...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Was gonna say, wouldn’t it be more in their line to watch a few videos on how Diesel engines work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Was on the VW site looked up the price of a new Golf R-Line 2.0TDI 150bhp you have to buy DSG its the only option 37.5K :eek: Some money really. For 38K you could get a new model elegance Passat 2.0TDI 6 speed manual seems like a better deal altogether. I haven't actually seen either in the flesh but from the pics the Passat looks nicer. The golf GTI will surly be over 50K at that rate whenever it's launched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

CIP4 wrote: »
    Was on the VW site looked up the price of a new Golf R-Line 2.0TDI 150bhp you have to buy DSG its the only option 37.5K :eek: Some money really. For 38K you could get a new model elegance Passat 2.0TDI 6 speed manual seems like a better deal altogether. I haven't actually seen either in the flesh but from the pics the Passat looks nicer. The golf GTI will surly be over 50K at that rate whenever it's launched.

The golf is getting stupid pricey of late, the mk6 was the end of the golf being an affordable family car and it trying to price itself into luxury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

The golf is getting stupid pricey of late, the mk6 was the end of the golf being an affordable family car and it trying to price itself into luxury.

Yes my example might of been unfair as it was the upper spec. But the entry trimline 1.0tsi 90bhp so completely basic is still over 25k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anyone notice there are more blood stains on motorways and dual carriageway....

Seeing a lot of deer getting hit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Anyone ever refurbish a set of alloys before? Picked up a set of wheels dirt cheap with the intention of refurbing them over the coming weeks.

From what I can gather, an overview of the steps are - clean/degrease wheels - apply paint stripper - clean wheels again - sand down from heavy to light grit sandpaper - fill in scuffs with filler - sand down again until even and smooth - primer layers x 3 - paint x 3 and then finish with clear coat.

Does that seem correct? Going to start ordering what I need online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Haven't being out for a while until today but never noticed. I've actually never seen a dead deer on a road before tbh.

But somebody made a good point the other day about the recent Aer Lingus A330 bird strike that with the big reduction in traffic birds/animals are more likely to venture to places they usually wouldn't. Suppose the same would apply for the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Deer numbers are starting to get out of hand around the country truth be told so I'd not be surprised if there's been a rise deer related in accidents.

Have spotted a few around the farm over the last year myself which would have never been the case previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

There has been plenty of cases all over Europe of late of wild animals being spotted in urban areas. I work in what has been deemed an essential service so am on the road every day. Nearly creamed a deer out of it down near Carrickmines yesterday morning which would be considerably more of a built up area than you would normally spot deer.

Another difference I have noticed is the car seems to be running better / more responsive. Not sure whether that's from higher exhaust temp / less DPF build up or the auto box adapting to more spirited driving due to less traffic. Probably a bit of both!

I notice folk are doing plenty spirited driving on the roads the last couple of weeks. I travel on a straight 80kph limit road for 5kms and every morning people are doing way over that. Before Covid it was a regular camera van location. It's one of those country roads with loads of driveways and byroads on/off it so 80kph is fast enough to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The level of ****-wittery on the roads is definitely up. I've seen more occurrences of people driving like idiots on my commute.

Edit: In my local town yesterday i also noticed a definite increase in traffic and people out and about compared with the first few days. I think people are slacking off to be honest and not taking it seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah definitely, actually thought I seen a pick up in traffic yesterday too. Seems like most people who are out are absolutely flying too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Yeah definitely, actually thought I seen a pick up in traffic yesterday too. Seems like most people who are out are absolutely flying too.

Same ye. M50 was a little busier than it has been. Alot of places making themselves essential this week. There is also little or no enforcement of the 2km thing from what i have seen so folk must be starting to get braver.

That bird strike on the plane to china last week was in no way a coincidence. A deer wandered up the main street of my home town the other night. Never seen a deer anywhere near there before.

CIP4 wrote: »
    .......The golf GTI will surly be over 50K at that rate whenever it's launched.

Octavia RS is guts of €10k cheaper.

Augeo wrote: »
    Octavia RS is guts of €10k cheaper.

As in the 2013 model?
    Don’t think the new RS will be with us for 18 months?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    As in the 2013 model?......

As in what's now on sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

As empty as the roads are, people still don't know how to use lanes.
    I'm in the office today and any car I met on the N4 was in the middle lane, usually under the speed limit as well.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    As empty as the roads are, people still don't know how to use lanes..............

A huge percentage of the population is as thick as sh1t and loads of that cohort drive cars :)

Augeo wrote: »
    As in what's now on sale.

Got ya. I think CIP is talking about the Mk8 Golf.
    The UK site has been showing a lot of Octavia models as only being available from dealer stock for a good while now. Limited colours too. Only 4 on the RS.

Obviously with CV19 factory orders would be tough either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

IV seen an increase in speed vans, and checkpoints. Was checked going to work today and home last night in two different towns by guards as well as speed vans on both journeys. Took ages to get through one as I am guessing they were giving out to people just out for no good reason.

It's a shame they have to enforce something so simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

vintagevrs wrote: »
    IV seen an increase in speed vans, and checkpoints. Was checked going to work today and home last night in two different towns by guards as well as speed vans on both journeys. Took ages to get through one as I am guessing they were giving out to people just out for no good reason.

It's a shame they have to enforce something so simple.

Where I live is being enforced hard. Nobody can go to work unless they have a letter from their employer to say they have to. I had to sneak in via backstreets at the start of the week to get my chair from my office so I can work comfortably for the next God knows how many weeks. I won't be leaving again unless I go to the supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Finally some goodish news for me. My insurance broker just called and said it was a mistake quote they sent me. It's not 1138eu it's 1007eu. Was very damn happy, as after shopping around it was a struggle even get 1k and the ones that 1k were very stripped down. Fully comprehensive, but no windscreen cover etc...
    Payed it there over the phone. So tax payed for 6 months and insurance renewed. Looks like keeping my baby Cupra for a while now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Did anyone else have their car fcuking destroyed by the rain yesterday?

Must have been sand from the Sahara desert up in the atmosphere, and it came down with the rain and left a lovely coat of sh1te all over the car!!

Yep. Had it 2 weeks ago too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Did anyone else have their car fcuking destroyed by the rain yesterday?

Must have been sand from the Sahara desert up in the atmosphere, and it came down with the rain and left a lovely coat of sh1te all over the car!!
    The current layer of ****e protected the car from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I would be of the opinion that given the fact that the last number of days have been dry, it's just normal dust which is made worse by the light rain we had last night rather than anything to do with the Sahara. It hasn't been warm enough for it to be Saharan dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So I just cleaned it, and a bird has only gone and shat all over it! the glass roof, the windscreen, even the fcuking door handle.

Its a white car, but all the sh1t is concentrated on the bits that aren't white!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Feckin stealth bombers

XTAQQPH.jpg