Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do

Options
  • 02-04-2019 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

If your eight year old was pushed to the ground by the coach at GAA training and told to sit out. Child was scared.

This coach regularly calls them "fkn idiots". I am not happy with him placing his hands on him though. But, then we have rural community, GAA is God etc etc... I'm a bit stuck, advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭ax530

Speak to the club child protection officer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yea.
    Child protection officer, there should be more than one.

That behaviour is completely unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Remove your child immediately. Why the hell would you ever want them in that environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Speak to the child protection officer as pointed out or any other club official if you can't get a hold of the CPO.

There isn't a club I know that would stand for that. In my own the trainer would be given his marching orders from the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

The cpo as everyone has said.but me personally id also be giving that coach a good piece of my mind, the bastard, who does he think he is?there's no way id let him away with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

What do other parents think? Does your child really love GAA, or do they play because they should, and everyone else does? If they love it, they shouldn’t have to leave because of a man child who’s re-living his childhood dreams through a crowd of 8 year olds, but that behaviour is obviously not acceptable, so somebody else should get the boot.
    It doesn’t matter whether youre urban or rural, I think every club has members/volunteers that just live for the club. Most of them have an understanding that not everyone else does too though. I live in a rural area too, and this behaviour doesn’t go on, even though GAA is very very important to many people. I would speak to the head of the club, or the child protection officer, or anyone who might listen really. Better still a group of parents can approach. Surely you’re not the only one with concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Did you witness this occuring yourself ? Do you attend the training sessions ? Be careful before accusing anyone of anything until you have hard and fast facts to bring to the CPO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

It was will toughing him up.
    No need to be so protective young boys too soft these days.
    Did you ask your son why he was pushed to the ground and told to sit down?
    Maybe he was bullying another player and the coach was teaching him a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It was will toughing him up. No need to be so protective young boys too soft these days. Did you ask your son why he was pushed to the ground and told to sit down? Maybe he was bullying another player and the coach was teaching him a lesson.

Fcuking hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I hope you don't have kids.

• Advertisement

At 8 years of age?
    Please tell me you are a troll.please.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Maybe sit this thread out sport

I'm deadly serious.
    Did you ask your son what he done wrong?
    People wrapping their kids up in cotton wool these days.
    Don't forget this man gives up his time free of charge to train the kids.
    Maybe you should show an interest and stay and watch the training instead of expecting him to babysit

I'm deadly serious. Did you ask your son what he done wrong? People wrapping their kids up in cotton wool these days. Don't forget this man gives up his time free of charge to train the kids. Maybe you should show an interest and stay and watch the training instead of expecting him to babysit

The trainer sounds like a right arsehole, a fcuking bully!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The trainer sounds like a right arsehole, a fcuking bully!

Still a volunteer, and I'm sure the story will change when she speaks to him.
    Also parents should remain at training to support and show an interest in their child

Still a volunteer, and I'm sure the story will change when she speaks to him. Also parents should remain at training to support and show an interest in their child

So volunteers are exempt from their role as a protector to children, thus allowing them to bully?

So volunteers are exempt from their role as a protector to children, thus allowing them to bully?

That's if the child's version of events is correct.
    I highly doubt a man giving up his time to teach children is doing so to bully them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's a difference between bullying and handing out a cup of cop on.
    Parent should stay at training or even get involved in training themselves.

I'm deadly serious.
    Did you ask your son what he done wrong?
    People wrapping their kids up in cotton wool these days.
    Don't forget this man gives up his time free of charge to train the kids.
    Maybe you should show an interest and stay and watch the training instead of expecting him to babysit

No one should be allowed lay a hand on a child.ever.
    Also the op said the child was afraid.so you think fear is a good thing in an 8 year olds game.you are out of your mind.
    Have you kids?

That's if the child's version of events is correct. I highly doubt a man giving up his time to teach children is doing so to bully them

Let's take a closer look at this
    Johnson_76 wrote:
    If your eight year old was pushed to the ground by the coach at GAA training and told to sit out. Child was scared.

Child pushed to the ground = child scared
    Johnson_76 wrote:
    This coach regularly calls them "fkn idiots". I am not happy with him placing his hands on him though. But, then we have rural community, GAA is God etc etc... I'm a bit stuck, advice appreciated

Regularly calls them 'fcuking idiots'!

....and you can't see a problem with this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

With all due respect you really need to do the child protection L1 course as, simply put, your views are wrong and have no place in sport, especially at jr level. It's not your fault, you simply know no better. Luckily you can learn that what you've been spouting is dumb as fcuk nonsense and be a better person.

There's a difference between bullying and handing out a cup of cop on. Parent should stay at training or even get involved in training themselves.

'Handing out a cup of cop on', what planet are you folks on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

lazygal wrote: »
    I hope you don't have kids.

I hope he’s not a GAA coach

Yes I have and I volunteer with children in a different sport.
    But the amount of busybody parents and that show no interest in their child just drop them off and expect them to be babysit.
    Then come winging at the slightest thing.
    The parents who stay with their child and show an interest are by far the nicer and better parents

Yes I have and I volunteer with children in a different sport. But the amount of busybody parents and that show no interest in their child just drop them off and expect them to be babysit. Then come winging at the slightest thing. The parents who stay with their child and show an interest are by far the nicer and better parents

Maybe parents are drained from working, both in and out of the home, trying to keep the show on the road, placing the blame on a coaches obvious misbehaviour due to this, that's just disturbing! An adult placed in a position to train and mentor kids, pushes them to the ground and calls them ****ing idiots, is just fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

'Handing out a cup of cop on', what planet are you folks on!

Planet not building another generation of snowflakes.

Planet not building another generation of snowflakes.

Ah yes, we re getting to it now! Adults never ever have the right to mistreat kids, whether it be physically or mentally, the actions of a bully can last a lifetime, leading to detrimental effects, in some cases suicide!

Adults such as coaches play a vital role in society, in many ways, protection of the well being of those kids is critical, in preventing such serious events in the future. If coaches are not willing or able to do this, maybe coaching isn't for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I know when I did my CPO course we were told that there should be 2 coaches at training. No adults should be left in a situation where an accusation can be made.
    Was there a second trainer there?
    If so can they back up/ deny any attitude/incidents that have arisen.
    OP certainly approach both senior members and CPO of the club to inform them if what your child has told that you!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's if the child's version of events is correct.
    I highly doubt a man giving up his time to teach children is doing so to bully them

Given everything that's happened in this country with institutional, sporting and leisure organisations it beggars belief someone would still come out with statements this stupid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

As a parent of 2 kids I think coaches shouting at the children calling them F*ckin edjits is not such a big deal. It can help prepare them for the tough road ahead. However, pushing a kid to the ground is a step too far.

Advertisement