Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The (Not So) Flying Scotsman

Options
  • 04-11-2016 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

A little bit about me

I have just come through the DCM 2016 Mentored Novices Thread; kudos to nop98 and all his back room team on there for getting us over the line,and thought this would be a good time to start a log on here.

Really only been running since 2014 (fairly sporadic training with plenty of breaks), much the same in 2015 with two good chunks of training for the Wicklow Gaol 1/2 marathon in March and Clontarf 1/2 Marathon in November looking back now I made some real rookie errors with the training hopefully a little wiser now!

Early this year I decided that I would tackle the marathon, this has always been on my bucket list and thought I would get it done before the big 40! Really enjoyed the structure of the boards plan and the advice and encouragement received on there.

Current PBS

5k: 20:57 MSB St Patricks Run (2016)
    10k: 47:xx Aware Christmas Run (Dec 2014.....no official 10k times since then!)
    5 mile 35:53 Irish Runner 5 mile (2016)
    10 mile 1:16:13 FD 10 mile
    1/2 Marathon 1:40:09 Race Series 1/2 Marathon (2016)
    Marathon 3:46:44 DCM 2016

Future Plans

Really enjoyed the structure of the running this year and want to continue this in 2017, considering joining a club.....Donore, Lucan and Liffey Valley are all close to me so would most likely be one of these, any advice greatly appreciated.

Short term Jingle Bells 5k, Tom Brennan in Jan and the Raheny 5 mile are on the agenda. Would like to get my 5k time under 20 minutes and get a proper timed 10k in.

Longer term plans will be worked out at the start of 2017. Apologies for the long ramble!

Thanks

Craig

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Welcome to the logs, Jingle Bells 5k will give you a good opportunity to break 20mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Best of luck with the log and your goals. Will be following with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Nice one, The best of luck with the log.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thanks for the welcome lads....first post marathon jaunt done this morning;couple of easy weeks coming up I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

#Proud - good stuff scottindublin! Will keep an eye out for you at Jingle Bells!

• Advertisement

Talking a fairly easy approach post marathon.

Two runs under the belt: Just under 4 miles on Saturday and just under 5 yesterday.

Plan for the rest of the week is to get out Thursday 5 again then out on Saturday morning for an hour or so. Watch in pocket so running by effort ( or at least attempting to)

Wary of doing too much too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Yeah, same as. Reverse taper still very much in progress here! Our plans seem to be similar. I'd two runs last week, plan is for 4 easy miles Thurs and another slow parkrun on Saturday; then I'll see about next week. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Craig? Ha, what have you done with Scot? :p

Welcome to the logs, all the very best.

Thanks aquinn I really should change my user name to ascotindublin.

aquinn wrote: »
    Craig? Ha, what have you done with Scot? :p

Welcome to the logs, all the very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Welcome to logland. Congrats on your marathon.

You'll be knocking out the PBs over the next few months after marathon training.

• Advertisement

First week back running since the DCM 16 not really following a plan as such.

Tuesday 4.7 miles @ 8:59 per mile headed down the Malahide Road from work and done a small loop back up the Yellow Walls Road. First evening back out in the dark....must invest in some decent high viz for the winter.

Thursday same route as Tuesday but @ 8:15 per mile.....couple of fastish miles thrown in there.

Saturday 5.8 miles @ 8.23 per mile in what has felt like my second home this year....The Phoenix Park!

Still doing the runs on effort and not checking my watch....probably a little quick this week so will let need to monitor that!

Put out some feelers on membership to Lucan and Donore so we will see what comes from that.

In Berlin next weekend so hope to get out Tuesday and Thursday again.

What's the rush on the runs? You may not think it but your body is still recovering from the marathon, slow it down a bit.

Been a quiet couple of weeks for me mental in work and busy at home as the good lady has been away; was also in Berlin last weekend only managed a couple of runs since my last post.

4 miles last Tuesday and a nice 8 mile run in the Phoenix Park this morning.

Will be back to 4 runs a week from Monday; not sure how to approach Jingle Bells 5k next week as have done no speed work because of marathon training.

A bit of a development on joining a club and will be going down to Donore on Wednesday to take part in their session....looking forward to that with a mix of apprehension thrown in!

I am going to call this my first proper week back since the marathon; got out 4 days including my first double digit run for a while.

Monday: 4 Mile Work/Malahide Estuary Loop; head torch required next time....also need to get some high viz.....any suggestions?

Wednesday: Headed down to Donore to try out a session with them....really enjoyed it....2 mile warm up then 10 sets of 600m repeats on the track with 80 second jogs between them;already looking forward to this Wednesday. Seem like a nice bunch of folks and have been told to try the sessions out for a few weeks before committing to anything.

Saturday: Donore Jingle Bells 5k.....first tilt at a 5k since March nice to lay down a marker for next year....bagged a nice PB of 20:03 so close to the elusive sub 20! Great event and really enjoyed it....nice mug aswell! All going well I will be helping out at it next year.

Sunday: 10 mile loop from the house and around the Phoenix Park took it nice and easy.

This week's plan get out three times during the week then hopefully Sunday again....Christmas night out on Friday so the weekend could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice work yesterday - well done. Super marathon debut too, by the way, fair play.

Thanks Murph_D looking forward to the next part of the journey now!
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice work yesterday - well done. Super marathon debut too, by the way, fair play.

Well done again C. That was Murph_D to my right when you were congratulating me at the finish. Sub 20's a cert for you next time out.

Nice going yesterday, great time, Tom Brennan 5k to sort those 3 secs out.

Monday: 25 minutes weights and core work in the gym

Tuesday: 6 miles straight out and back from the house tried out the marathon pack head torch for the first time!

Wenesday: 25 minutes weighs and core work in the gym then club session. 2 mile warm up then 8 x800 meters on the track with 90 seconds recovery....found it tough but got the 8 done was only the last 2 reps that I dropped a few meters behind the other lads I was with....very consistent pace though.

Friday we had our charity Santa Dash in work another 4 miles under the belt.

Sunday 7 mile loop from the house.....was getting rid of the last of the lethargy from.my work night out on Friday.

29 miles to go to the big 1000 for the year!

Weekly Update

4 Days just over 29 miles; work got in the way of any gym work this week.

Tuesday 3.8 mile loop from the house; tried to alternate between a slow km and a quicker one.

Thursday: Missed out on the Donore Session on Wednesday so took some advice from the lads there and tried this on my own...2 mile warm up then 3 miles at 06:50 pace and a 2 mile cool down. Didn't quite hit the 06:50 pace but was under 7 minutes for the three quicker miles....found it tough to do on my own though and looking forward to getting back into the group session on Wednesday.

Saturday a shade over 11 miles....bookended the Donore Captains Run 5km XC in the Phoenix Park ( different but enjoyed it....slippy in runners) with runs to and from Donore.....nice mince pies afterwards!!

Sunday a nice easy 7 miles which took me to the 1000 mile mark for 2016; was happy to get to hit that landmark as that was a goal I had set myself for this year.

Also have some shiny new runners to break in (just went with the same as got me through the marathon) part of me wonders if I need another pair for the quicker stuff??

Craig

• Advertisement

Well done Craig, congrats on the milestone. Plenty of improvements to come in 2017.

Thanks WW; I hope your training is going well too.
    Well done Craig, congrats on the milestone. Plenty of improvements to come in 2017.

First of all Happy Christmas fellow boardsies. Weekly update....just the three runs last week although happy with that all things considered!

Wedensday: Club session with Donore....Double Hill Loop in the Phoenix Park ( well building up to a double loop over the next few weeks) bit of a warm up run from the club to the Kyber Road and started the loop from there Kyber Road-Acres Road-Chapelizod Gate-Furze Road Junction-Furry Glen-Chapelizod Gate-S Bends-Kyber Road and back down Acres Road to the club....upping the pace on the hills....tough session and certainly different running in the park at night.
    A total of just over 8 miles.

Thursday 4.3 mile loop from house just wanted to get the legs moving after Wednesday.

Saturday 10 mile loop from the house and round the Phoenix Park.

Planning on getting back out in the morning for a few miles.

Happy New Year to you all; I hope you had a great Christmas and Best Wishes for a happy and healthy 2017.

Weekly update 24 miles over 4 runs.

Tuesday 7 miles a nice and easy loop from the house down in to the Memorial Park and back along the edge of the park into Chapelizod.....took it nice and handy after the turkey fest of the previous couple of days.

Thursday 10 mile loop from the house down into the Phoenix Park. Went from the Chapelizod Gates up the S Bends-Kyber Road-Acres Road-Lowe Glen Road and through the Furry Glen....upped the pace on the up hill sections. This is the Wednesday plan for Donore the next couple of weeks so wanted to try and keep it up. Definitely tougher to do on my own and really felt it on the 2 miles home from the Phoenix Park to the house.

Saturday 3.8 mile loop around Liffey Valley for the 147th and Final Run on 2016....finished up the year just shy of 1050 miles.

Sunday Tom Brennan 5k time 19:54.....having really enjoyed the Tom Brennan Run last year I was looking forward to this years event and had hoped to dip under 20 minutes.
    Splits 3:59;4:02;3:58;4:06 and 3:51 delighted with the time and thought the run went well....found the two sections up the Ordinance Survey Road to be tough enough with the wind.....mission accomplished though....need to reassess my 5k goal for this year.

Plan for this week; get signed and paid up with Donore and hopefully make my debut at the Dublin Masters XC.....need to get some spikes though!!

Happy running is 2017!

Craig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Sunday Tom Brennan 5k time 19:54.....having really enjoyed the Tom Brennan Run last year I was looking forward to this years event and had hoped to dip under 20 minutes.
    Splits 3:59;4:02;3:58;4:06 and 3:51 delighted with the time and thought the run went well....found the two sections up the Ordinance Survey Road to be tough enough with the wind.....mission accomplished though....need to reassess my 5k goal for this year.

Congrats on the sub-20! Remember to get it onto the 10 Round Numbers table :)

Thanks Singer;

Must have a look at that!

Singer wrote: »
    Congrats on the sub-20! Remember to get it onto the 10 Round Numbers table :)

Weekly Update on "back to reality" week.

23 miles; 4 runs

Tuesday: Was fortunate enough to have an extra days holiday so got out for just under 6 miles. Took in a loop from the house towards Lucan and back home along the N4: not the most scenic route but enjoyed getting the legs moving after the Tom Brennan 5k from Sunday.
    Also picked up some XC Spikes!

Wednesday club session: 10.5 miles....ran down to the club....2 mile warm up then 6 x 600 on the track (average of 2:16) and a mile cool down and jog home...session was short due to the Dublin Masters XC at the weekend.

Friday:2.7 miles on the football pitch in work to try out the spikes.

Sunday Dublin Masters XC: First experience of competitive club running ( not that I would be contributing much to the score!)

6km out in St Annes Park: A nice gentle recce of the course before watching the ladies race....a victory for Donore so no pressure on the leading men!

Was getting snippets of advice off a few of the lads and the he general consensus was to be careful at the start and ease into it on the first lap and just try to pick off some lads on the way round.....got a nice shout out from Wubble and the he marshy start line....I had positioned myself towards the back of the pack and we were off.

Pretty much came to a standstill at the first bend because of the number of bodies.....eased myself into the first lap and got into what I felt was a nice rhythm.

Tried to keep the pace up and was picking people off as we made our way through the laps; there was a few sticky bits out there but it wasn't too bad.....had a club mate in my sights for the last lap and a half so tried to maintain the pace he was at and finished pretty strongly.....all in all a very enjoyable introduction to XC.

Onwards and upwards this week....planning to get to the Wednesday and Saturday club sessions and will be aiming for the Raheny 5 mile as my next big outing.

Craig

Weekly Update 33 miles over 5 runs including 2 club sessions.

Was surprisingly sore after the Dublin Masters XC on Sunday; could feel it in my feet and calf's....putting it down to running in spikes for the first time.

Tuesday 6.1 miles after work....a well worn route for me from work down into Malahide village doubling back at the tennis courts and back along the shore road. It felt good to get the legs moving after Sunday.

Wednesday Club session 6.7 miles in total. 2 mile warm up then 6 x 1ks on the track with 2 minutes recovery splits below
    1. 3.45
    2. 3.49
    3. 3.46
    4. 3.52
    5. 3.48
    6. 3.41

About a 1.5 mile cool down afterwards....really enjoying the club session...the lads are great at pacing them and I just hang on with them.

Thursday a nice 4 mile recovery run from the house.....got to try on the hat and gloves I got for Christmas.

Saturday second club session of the week 6.3 miles in the Phoenix Park....figure 8 loop taking in Hill at the Magazine Fort tough session but happy to get down to it. Some crowds down in the park.

Sunday 10 mile loop from home taking in the Phoenix Park; found it a bit of a struggle for the first 4 miles or so couldn't get into any rhythm if that makes sense.......got into it for the last few miles.

All in all a good week.

Bit late with the weekly update so here goes.

Just under 40 miles over 5 runs....definitely the most since the marathon.

Tuesday 5.5 mile loop from the house....took it nice and easy; still breaking in the new runners on these short runs. Felt some discomfort in my shins....not a good feeling but wasn't too bad.

Wednesday Club session on the footpath outside the club....16 x 400m reps with a 100m jog (roughly 45 secs) between them. Between 1.27 and 1.32 for all the reps struggled a bit in the middle but got my second wind and got them done...nice cool down afterwards 8.6 miles total.

Thursday 4.7 mile loop from the house could feel it in the joints after being on the road on Wednesday; from talking to the lads this was a common feeling!

Saturday club session in the Phoenix Park 4 x 1mile loops on the Munich Hills route 2 1/2 minute recovery.

Sunday met a few of the lads at the club and done a loop of the Memorial Park and Phoenix Park....14 miles in total and my longest run since the marathon....felt good so was happy with it.

Plan for this week club session on Wednesday 10 x 600m on the track and then the Raheny 5 mile on Sunday....PB of just under 36 minutes to beat from the Irish Runner 5 mile in June.

• Advertisement

Bit late with the weekly update so here goes.

Just under 40 miles over 5 runs....definitely the most since the marathon.

Tuesday 5.5 mile loop from the house....took it nice and easy; still breaking in the new runners on these short runs. Felt some discomfort in my shins....not a good feeling but wasn't too bad.

Wednesday Club session on the footpath outside the club....16 x 400m reps with a 100m jog (roughly 45 secs) between them. Between 1.27 and 1.32 for all the reps struggled a bit in the middle but got my second wind and got them done...nice cool down afterwards 8.6 miles total.

Thursday 4.7 mile loop from the house could feel it in the joints after being on the road on Wednesday; from talking to the lads this was a common feeling!

Saturday club session in the Phoenix Park 4 x 1mile loops on the Munich Hills route 2 1/2 minute recovery.

Sunday met a few of the lads at the club and done a loop of the Memorial Park and Phoenix Park....14 miles in total and my longest run since the marathon....felt good so was happy with it.

Plan for this week club session on Wednesday 10 x 600m on the track and then the Raheny 5 mile on Sunday....PB of just under 36 minutes to beat from the Irish Runner 5 mile in June.

You've improved a lot since then. That PB is definitely going to go. Sub 34 achievable do you think?

Advertisement