Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The (Not So) Flying Scotsman

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Now.....any Netflix recommendations for next week??

Best of luck with the surgery C! If you haven't already, watch Designated Survivor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That was the week that was......hopefully not the last one of the year.

4 runs just under 39 miles.

Tuesday (7.4 miles @ 8.10 per mile) and Thursday (8.6 miles @ 8.11 per mile) ploughed a lonely furrow on these two runs. Almost the same route both evenings. Down into Chapelizod from the house and followed the marathon route to Kilmainham.....Tuesday cut down across Island Bridge and back along the edge of the park into Chapelizod and home....Thursday extended it by continuing onto Heuston Station (mental down that way @ 1900!!

Late finish in work so missed the Wednesday Club Session.

Saturday great pyramid session on the Garda Loop 3/4/5/6/5/4/3 minutes with 2 recovery....a well paced session where the speed increased over the session. All in all over 13 miles.

Sunday nice 10 miles from club with a decent crew out 8.04 per mile.

So that's it for 4 weeks; in for hernia surgery on Tuesday both sides of the groin getting done. At least I am going into it in decent shape so hopefully the comeback won't be too bad.Will be good that out the way and be back in full flight at the start of Jan.

Now.....any Netflix recommendations for next week??

Good luck with the surgery C, hope everything goes well!
    Better Call Saul is well worth a watch - you don't have to have seen Breaking Bad, it stands up well on its own IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thanks for the words of support surgery went well.

AGYR currently 1/2 way through Designated Survivor.....great shout; very good so far.

The Comeback:2 Hernias for the price of 1!
    Total for the week 19.5 miles 4 runs.

Surgery went well and got the ok from the surgeon to get back to some running. 4 weeks of inactivity has increased 2 things

1. My waistline
    2. Confirmed how much I enjoy running!

The sum total of activity for 4 weeks was Stewarding at our annual Jingle Bells 5k event ( or a Sonia put it "some fun run in the Phoenix Park in her intro to the Euro XC last weekend.....interestingly won by Kenya I think). Got to meet Wubble and a few of the Novices Group briefly (Skyblue;Lazare and Broweyes who all seemed to have run well).

Eased my self back into it with a couple of 4ks at lunchtime on Tuesday and Thursday....a little bit of discomfort after Tuesday but all good Thursday.

Saturday 6 mile winging trail loop in the Park was happy to get 50 minutes or so done.

Sunday joined the lads on their Sunday run from the club had planned to do about 7 but was feeling ok so ended up doing just over 8 miles @ 7.53 probably a bit quicker than I should have but we were just chatting away during the run.

Great to be back out and doing a bit; the plan until the end of December is to just keep getting out and not pushing things too much......I am hoping that I will make the Masters XC at the start of Jan.....I will quiet happily do that and hide towards the back end of the pack.

Get back into the club sessions and Jan and come up with a plan for the first couple of .months of the year. Just now I am thinking

Raheny; Garda BHAA; maybe a other couple of BHAA XC and a 1/2 either Bohermeen or Mullingar.

Edit: was also informed that running leggings are not to be worn around the house only for running.....surely you shouldn't wear shorts over leggings???

C

Back on track....5 runs just over 33 miles and got through the 1400 miles for the year; decent seeing as I missed more that 6 weeks of training.

Was feeling good after the comeback so the plan at the start of the week was to get out 5 days including a % of the planned club session on Saturday.

Tuesday 6.6 miles @ 8.19 per mile. Headed out straight after work and ran a route that I cover a fair bit. Down the Malahide Road from Swords and into Malahide Village around the tennis courts and back along the shore road before joining the Malahide Road again. A nice loop and always good to get out after work to clear the head.

Wednesday thought I would try and up the speed a little so ran 8 x 300s on the football pitch at work with 45 sec recoveries. Splits were 1.14; 1.13; 1.12; 1.14; 1.12; 1.12; 1.12 and 1.13......consitant if nothing else and not the easiest to do on a football pitch.....no pain and good to get the legs moving a bit.

Thursday 7 mile loop of the Phoenix Park from the club 8.10 per mile nothing much to report.....did test out the new head torch though!

Saturday: Club Session called for 1 min on 1 rec 2 min on 1 rec to be repeated for 35 minutes on the Garda XC loop in the Phoenix Park.....didnt plan on doing the full session had planned for 25 minutes but we were 1/2 through the 1k loop when we hit 25 so ended up completing the loop and doing 28 minutes. Was happy that I could keep pace with my normal group and had a bit to push it at the end.

Sunday 7.5 mile ramble from the club very easy 8.25 per mile.

We have a big club handicap race on Tuesday 10 mile XC not quiet ready for that but plan to watch. Hopefully get out a good bit next week but I am sure life will get in the way.

Feeling confident that I will make the start line for the Dublin Masters XC now.

Thanks for reading and I hope you all have a great Christmas.

Onwards and upwards for 2018.....decision to be made on Raheny or Trim!

• Advertisement

Mid Week Update
    23.5 miles over the last three days.

Had half thought about doing the Waterstown Park Run on Christmas Day but just had to much to get done.

Tuesday: 8.2 miles @ 8.10 per mile out nice and early. Ran from house and into the Phoenix Park at the Chapelizod Gate up the acres road and along the back of the polo grounds (stopping for some much needed water at the tap). Down past the Wellington Monument out at Islandbridge and back home. Nice to run off some of the excess.
    Quick change and back to the Park to watch the annual club 10 mile XC handicap race; interestingly won by the youngest competitor followed by the eldest. Just little bit early in my comeback to be attempting this.

Wednesday: 7.2 miles at 7.56 per mile.....out just before the sun as had visitors over from mid morning. Headed out from the house again.....down into Chapelizod into Ballyfermot/Islandbridge and along Connyingham Road back into Chapelizod and home. Gave the two climbs out of Chapelizod a decent effort...sadly using Strava Segment PBS as motivation!

Thursday: 8 miles @ 8 per mile. Met one of the lads from Club and just done a loop of the Phoenix Park...bog standard run with not much to report apart from the showers being cold in the club!

Out for a few pints tonight; day off running tomorrow then session on Saturday; 7 x 1km XC hopefully get them done.

C

2017 Done and Dusted: A decent increase in mileage this year to mid 1400 miles with about 6 weeks of inactivity; a nice jump from 2016 which also included a marathon training cycle.

Saturday: Club Session 7 x 1 km of the Garda Loop XC in the Phoenix Park with 2 minute recoveries. First full session back had; to do a reset of the watch so don't have it logged on Strava or the exact splits but all ranged between 4.00 and 3.45 for the last one. Found the middle few a struggle but the lads pulled me through the session good to get it done and managed to push it a bit on the last one....wet enough on the loop and might need to put 12mm spikes in for the Masters XC.

Sunday: Just shy of 10 miles this morning @ 8.03 per mile. Loop of the Park from the club could really feel it in the legs after yesterday and a bit of an increase on mileage this week. I expect eating sh*te for the last while had an effect aswell.

Looking back I am really happy with how this year went with the exception of my time off for surgery. Made my club debut in cross country and also on a graded meet on the track in Tallaght over the summer. Both different but great experiences.....will definitely try and make some of the graded meets next year.....it is a different feeling knowing there is a good chance you are going to finish last!

Managed decent PBs at 5k (18.44 hadn't broken 20 this time last year.) 10k (41.50 in the National 10k in April) would liked to have given sub 40 a rattle but never got a chance and also at 5 mile in Terenure (32.35).

Without doubt the best thing I have done in 2017 is to join a club; really enjoying the structure of the sessions and just having more people to run with.

So plans for 2018......still up in the air a little. Will be at the Dublin Masters next weekend as really enjoyed that last year then hope to do a couple of the BHAA events and just get back to 2 sessions a week. One of the big aims for this year will be to break 40 minutes for 10k I think that is achievable.....DCM is lurking in the back of my mind as well.

Most importantly stay injury free and just continue to enjoy running!

All the best for 2018 and a good New Year to you all.

4 Days just under 33 miles including competitive comeback at the Dublin Masters XC.

Monday: Day off running so headed up to watch the Tom Brennan 5k; some good results from the Donore Crew in windy conditions.

Tuesday: Made use of the extra day off; 10 miles @ 8.25 per mile. Left from the house and into the Phoenix Park at the Chapelizod Gate and followed the National 10k route until the Acres Road and back out at the Chapelizod Gate and home.....this was much tougher than it should have been and the legs felt pretty heavy.

Wedneday: A morning of cold realisation of having to go back to work and the holidays were over. Ran down to the club for the Wednesday session. 10 minutes @ LT followed by 10 x 200m with a big recovery.....40-41 secs for the first 9 reps of the 200s then 35 for the last. A very slow shuffle home.....just over 10 miles all in. Thinking that running to training is a good way of bumping up the miles a little.

Thursday: Touch of a head cold and absolutely wrecked....probably the shock of two early mornings....no running!

Saturday: 4 easy miles in the Park at 8.12 per mile.

Sunday: Dublin Masters XC:

Nice chat with Wubble Wubble before the off and it seemed we had similar goals of improve on last year's result and don't get lapped. Happy to say that both were achieved (173rd spot) and wasn't lapped.

Started towards the back of the pack and the first km or so was slow enough at points. Found it pretty tough in the middle section but managed to pass a good few over the last 3/400m so finished strongly enough....progressed through the field on every lap so that is a bonus. Happy to report no aches or pains which is good and the result is a good indication of where my fitness levels are after my layoff before Christmas.

Thinking now the best plan for the next 6-8 weeks is to get back into 2 sessions a week; this will most likely mean missing Raheny at the end of Jan. But will pencil in a BHAA XC somewhere.

Quick chat with Wubble and Skyblue afterwords....fully expect Sean to be lining up beside me next year in this.

A good day for the club with a few individual medals and a team bronze.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

4 Days just under 33 miles including competitive comeback at the Dublin Masters XC.

Nice chat with Wubble Wubble before the off and it seemed we had similar goals of improve on last year's result and don't get lapped. Happy to say that both were achieved (173rd spot) and wasn't lapped.

Started towards the back of the pack and the first km or so was slow enough at points. Found it pretty tough in the middle section but managed to pass a good few over the last 3/400m so finished strongly enough....progressed through the field on every lap so that is a bonus. Happy to report no aches or pains which is good and the result is a good indication of where my fitness levels are after my layoff before Christmas.

Thinking now the best plan for the next 6-8 weeks is to get back into 2 sessions a week; this will most likely mean missing Raheny at the end of Jan. But will pencil in a BHAA XC somewhere.

Quick chat with Wubble and Skyblue afterwords....fully expect Sean to be lining up beside me next year in this.

C

Well done again! Quite a sizeable improvement on last year, I believe.

Unfortunately, with so many races out there, we have to pick and choose which ones to actually attack, as opposed to just doing them all because we can!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Monday: Day off running so headed up to watch the Tom Brennan 5k; some good results from the Donore Crew in windy conditions.

Tuesday: Made use of the extra day off; 10 miles @ 8.25 per mile. Left from the house and into the Phoenix Park at the Chapelizod Gate and followed the National 10k route until the Acres Road and back out at the Chapelizod Gate and home.....this was much tougher than it should have been and the legs felt pretty heavy.

Wedneday: A morning of cold realisation of having to go back to work and the holidays were over. Ran down to the club for the Wednesday session. 10 minutes @ LT followed by 10 x 200m with a big recovery.....40-41 secs for the first 9 reps of the 200s then 35 for the last. A very slow shuffle home.....just over 10 miles all in. Thinking that running to training is a good way of bumping up the miles a little.

Thursday: Touch of a head cold and absolutely wrecked....probably the shock of two early mornings....no running!

C

Well done today. I'm in awe of the amount of pain I saw people run through today. I have to get out of the comfort zone and then maybe next year is possible!

• Advertisement

The way you are progressing you have every chance of running this next year Sean.Dublin Masters XC 2017 was my first go at XC and I have to say it is a whole lot of fun.

Good to catch up with you today. Great start to the year for you!
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well done today. I'm in awe of the amount of pain I saw people run through today. I have to get out of the comfort zone and then maybe next year is possible!

The way you are progressing you have every chance of running this next year Sean.Dublin Masters XC 2017 was my first go at XC and I have to say it is a whole lot of fun.

Good to catch up with you today. Great start to the year for you!

I've been to it the last couple of years with the OH. It was nice today to have a couple of people to shout at every lap while she cheered her club mates! :pac:

Yes I'm happy with my start to the year. I'm putting my faith in testertosterscones graduate plan. Hopefully it will pay off.

Weekly Update.

Just shy of 44 miles 5 days.

In a total break with tradition I actually got out on Monday this week. 5 miles @ 8.37 per mile. A different route than normal down into Ballyfermot from home taking a left down the hill into Chapelizod at the pitch and putt course. Nice easy run and good to get the legs moving after Sunday. Systems checked showed no ill affects from the Masters XC.

Tuesday: Off.

Wednesday: Club Session around the football pitches in the Phoenix Park chilly evening but perfectly still. Session was 1 mile at LT 2 Rec 2.5 mile at LT 2 Rec and 1 mile at LT tough enough after Sunday....mile splits were

6 min 50 sec; 6 min 50 sec; 6 min 34; 3 min 18 for the 1/2 mile and 6 min 27 for the last mile. Found the middle 2.5 tough and the pace was probably a bit quick but didn't flag on the last mile. Running down and home brought me to almost 13.3 miles.....probably need to re-evaluate running up and down to training on the higher mileage sessions

Thursday: 6 miles at 8.22 a very foggy run through the Memorial Park and the S Bends of the Phoenix Park. Nice to move the legs after Wednesday.

Friday: Off planning on keeping this tradition up!

Saturday: XC Pyramid Session 2/3/4/5/5/4/3/2 with a 1.20 rec between the first rep and adding 10 secs to the recovery until 3.30 between the 5s. Same recs on the way back down. Legs felt heavy on the session but kept the pace coming down through the reps. A tough session that didn't seem to hard on paper.....we don't run on paper though.

Sunday: 10 miles @ 7.44 per mile.....normal 0830 meeting with the lads at the club and our normal loop of the park. Good run and a nice way to start the day. Probably need to up the mileage on these Sunday runs in a few weeks.

All in all a good week.

C

Weekly Update 43 miles over 5 days.

Monday: Day off nice easy start to the week!

Tuesday: 8 Miles @ 8:19 per mile. Had planned to head out straight from work and run along the shore road from Swords to Portmarnock.....left work to almost blizzard conditions, so headed home hoping for an improvement. A nice few comments from the OH "are you f*cking mad". I donned the gear and headed out for 8 miles from the house. Actually got a break in the weather and apart from a snow shower in the last mile it was an enjoyable run.

Wednesday: Club Session on what I will call a soft evening. Back on the track and the session was 2 sets of 8 x 400m with 50 sec rec between the 400s and 4 minutes between the sets. I was in a bit of a quandary here as my usual group wasn't at training so had 2 choices guts it out on my own or try and stay with the next group who are a bit quicker and cut the recoveries by 4-5 secs. Picked the latter.

Set 1: 88,87,86,85,85,86,84,84
    Set 2: 86,85,85,85,84,83,84,82

Tough session but consistent times for the 400s

Friday: Life got in the way Thursday so got out on Friday (keeping these as a day off didn't last). 7 miles Swords/Loop of Malahide Castle @ 8:09. A loop I really enjoy and don't get a chance to run much in the winter months.

Saturday: A very wet XC session in the Phoenix Park session was 3k/2k/1k with 2.45 recoveries, quicker through the session was the plan

Km splits: 4:11;4:17 (stopped to tie my lace on the spikes);4:03,4:03,3:57 and 3:51 for the last km.

Good meeting with the coaches and the other lads where we discussed goals for the start of the year.....I made the bold prediction of hoping to break 18 for 5km this year an ambitious one but balls to it may as well give it a shot.

Sunday: Out early doors for a 08:30 start at the club, I have never seen the Phoenix Park so wet.....11.7 miles at 07:47.

Happy with that week and feeling the fitness coming back.....now to try and dry the runners for Tuesday!

C

Weekly Update
    5 Days and just over 46 miles.

Tuesday: 7.3 miles @ 8.16 per mile. Headed out from the club with one of the lads. Into Chapeizod and through the Memorial Park to Islandbridge back to the club and into the Phoenix Park at the Chapelizod Gate. Figure of 8 loop from there taking in the S Bends and Wellington Monument.

Wednesday: Track session 600m;800m;4 x 1k;800m;600m. Seeing as the hard running part of the session was just under 7k I decided to rub down to training. Longer than expected warm-up meant I had almost 6 miles done before we started.

Times: 600m (2min 16);800m(3 min 04);1ks (3.41;3;44;3.41;3.42); 800m(3 min) 600m(2.13)

Tough session where me and another one of the lads just pushed each other through it. Torture Shuffle home brought up 13 miles for the evening. Probably a bit much! Fully expected to be sore Thursday.

Thuesday: As expected legs were feeling it. 5.5 miles @ 8.11 heavy legged loop in the Phoenix Park legs started feeling a bit more human again after about 3 miles!

Saturday: Session in the Phoenix Park 5 x 1 miles at LT with 40 second recoveries. A session that needed to be paced correctly to get it done. Session was on the Bloom Loop which is from the Roundabout at the Aras up the North Road and down Chesterfield Avenue at the Castleknock roundabout. So there is a nice drag up the North Road; which sadistically was into the wind.

Mile splits: 6.48;6.45;6.55;6.44;6.53. Needless to say miles 3 and 5 were mostly on the North Road and into the wind. Aerobically felt good; legs wrecked after Wednesday.....40 second recoveries really were bugger all.

10 miles for the day.

Sunday: 10 miles from the club Phoenix Park/Memorial Park Loop 8.14 per mile....tough last couple of miles into the wind.

A good but tough week. Can feel the body craving a bit of a break; 4 day week planned next week and a couple of busy weekends in Feb Will mean a couple of 4 day weeks and missed sessions as well.

Thinking of giving the Bohermeen 10k a go in March.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Some great sessions there C. I think the Scotsman is flying again!

Weekly Update
    4 Runs 36 Miles

Bit of a step back in distance this week; the coaches were going easy enough on us with the 2 session and also had the annual pilgrimage to the 2.3 Arena for the darts on Thursday so no running.

Tuesday: 6 Miles @ 8.02. Headed out with a couple lads from the club. Through the Memorial Park and back to the club and into the Park at the Chapelizod Gate up the S Bends and out again and back to the club. Pushed the last mile.

Wednesday: Club Session was 12 x 200m with approx 45 sec recoveries. High 30's to low 40's for the reps. Ran up and down to the session.

Thursday: Stand up if you love the darts.....great night out and a couple of pints. No running.

Saturday: Session 2 x 10' @ LT with 2 min recoveries then 6 x 100m up hill. 2 × 10 mins on the path around the pitches in the Park....rep 1 2.41k rep 2 2.46k good pace in a tough enough wind. 20s for the 100s to finish it off.

Sunday: Club run 12.2 miles @ 7.56 per. Usual 10m loop of the park and added on the Upper Glen Road to X Road at Furze and out the Knockmaroon Gate back to the club.....hate hate hate running down the Knockmaroon Hill to Chapelizod.....must try running up it some Sunday!

Next week looking like a four day week as have relatives over......200 miles for the year reached.

C.

That's great training C. Did you enter the 10k in Bohermeen? It seems you're ready for a fast one!

Thanks Sean training is going well just now.....actually haven't registered yet! Must get that done.

Thanks Sean training is going well just now.....actually haven't registered yet! Must get that done.

The half not a possibility?

• Advertisement

Torn between the 2 Sean....want to break 40 minutes for 10k this year but also have a very soft 1/2 Marathon PB!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    The half not a possibility?

Weekly Update
    42 miles over 5 days.

Tweeked the days around this week as we had visitors for the weekend. Runners OCD kicked in!

Monday 7.5 miles at 8.15. Fairly easy run; down from home into Chapelizod joined the marathon route to Kilmainham then left down to Islandbridge. Back home through Chapelizod.

Tuesday: 4.7 miles at 7.35 per mile....was under a bit of time pressure so got out for a quick run after work aroubd the Swords/Malahide Estuary....fairly Baltic!

Wednesday: Session; also 5th day in a row of running which is not something I normally do. Session was 2 x12 minutes at LT with a 2.30 rec then 10 x100m to finish. 3.5 mile warm up then session around the football pitches. Distances covered in the 12 mins were 2.91km (4.08 per km) and 2.96km (4.04 per km) could really feel it in the legs. The 100ms at the end of the session were actually a good clear out.....just over 11 miles covered.

Thursday: 6 in a row....whats going on....a nice leisurely ramble around Maladhide from work. 7.4 miles at 8.26. Legs wrecked.

Saturday: Saturday session; this took a bit of working out. 5 miles then 10' at LT 1 mile rec the 10 minute Fartlek (15 secs) 1 mile rec then 5' at LT. Tough session but got it done. Probably didn't quiet do the Fartlek part correctly. 12 miles for the day.

Sunday spent the day doing a bit of touristy stuff with visitors including a few pints to watch Scotland restore some pride after the Wales match. Was glad for a day off running.

Back on the wagon tomorrow.....looking at maybe doing the 1500m at the indoor next Thursday.....think the 3k would make me dizzy!!

5 Days just over 42.5 miles

Tuesday 7.5 miles @ 8.05. A familiar loop from the house into Chapelizod following the marathon route to Kilmainham then left down to Islandbridge. Back along the perimeter of the Phoenix Park into Chapelizod and home.

Wednesday Club Session 2 mile warm-up the 12 x 500m on the track with 75 sec recoveries followed by 2 x 200 hard.

First 7 x 500m were 1 minute 50/51 last 5 all under 1.50 working down to 1.44 for the last one. 39 and 38 secs for the 200m. Tough session but got pulled along by the lads.....2 mile cool down.

Thursday: 8 miles @ 8.03 four miles out and back along the shore road from Swords to Malahide......back to a familiar route. Evenings getting nice a bright as well.

Saturday was under time pressure so had to do the club session on my own.....session was 2 x800m with 1.20 recoveries followed by 2 miles 1 @ LT and 1 @ 10k pace then 1.20 rec and 2 x800m to finish.

I really had to force myself out of the house to do this so I joined the Deer on the football pitches of the Phoenix Park at 0750.....a range of emotions from wtf am I doing here at this time to just get it done.

Loop of the pitches to warm up (1.7 miles) then 800m (3.08); 800m (3.09); 2 miles (6.46 and
    26) 800m (3.12) 800m (3.07).

1.5 mile cool down. Can't say I particularly enjoyed the session on my own; found it hard to really push myself especially on the 800s......one to chalk down as "getting it done"

Sunday 10 miles @ 7.45 loop of the park from the club; no messing with the lads and straight into a decent pace. Actually felt comfortable enough.

Need to decide what I am doing this week; there is talk of NIA Live on Thursday and I am away at the weekend......legs could probably do with the break anyway.

C

Been an up and down couple of weeks; busy in work; snow and getting work done in the house has seriously hampered the running and been finding motivation levels low.

Back on the horse so to speak this week.
    5 days 42 miles

Monday: 2.5 miles @ 7.54 knew that there wasn't a chance to get out on Tuesday so got a couple of miles in at lunchtime.

Wednesday: Club Session around the football pitches in the Phoenix Park 2 * (6 min/3 min with 90 s rec) then 2 * (3min/90 sec with 90s rec) 2.30 between sets. Pace on the intervals was 6.25 per mile. Found this a struggle after top much eating crap and a lack of activity. Got it done though.

Thursday planned on getting out after work.....house stuff got in the way.

Friday: 6.8 miles @ 08:09 per mile. First pre work run of the year. Lovely morning for a run....down from Swords into Malahide village out the shore road a bit and back past the Marina/Estuary.....done and dusted and at my desk for 0810 great way to start the day.

Saturday: Got late notice during the week about the Club XC Championships knew there would be a poor enough representation from the men's squad with Bohermeen being on so lined up. This is one of the only runs that the men and ladies run together so it is a good get together.

6 miles of 3 x 2 mile loops of the Civil Service Loop in the Park....4 miles for the ladies.

Knew from the lads lining up where I would roughly finish and that's where I did.....had the ladies winner for company on the first 4 miles and ran the last 2 very isolated.

6 miles in 42.15 happy enough bit of a mudfest but enjoyable both spikes split so binned them today!

Sunday: Long Run with the lads who weren't running Bohermeen 14.1 miles @ 8.14 per mile was dreading this as was fairly sore after the XC....running in spikes usually knocks me a bit. Ran from house to the Club and met the lads for the 10 mile loop then home.....2 miles up hill to the house to finish it off.....legs fairly wrecked at the end.

C

Weekly Update (poor return for the week)

After the XC Champs at the club and the long run on Sunday I was having real issues with the left achilles to the point where it was sore even waking.

Tuesday: 6 miles at 8.19 per mile; forced myself out for a run after work around Sword/Malahide wasn't in much pain running but it was tough.

Wendnesday: Hobbled around work thinking will I or won't I do the club session. Decided to go and do the warm up and see how I felt.
    Stupidly completed the session of 7 x 1kms in horrendous conditions. Bit of pain but not too bad. Splits not great between 4.20 and 4.15 for them all.

Thursday bit of pain and some serious heat coming from my achilles....good bit of rolling and stretching. Knew I would not be running until Sunday (more on that in a bit!) So would have a few days rest.

5 of us from the club had planned a trip to Nottingham for the massive League 2 match of Notts County v Mansfield Town (one of the lads is a massive fan). All was going well until our flight back and the snow in East Midlands.....due back at 2205 Saturday finally got home at 1500 Sunday! Was still a good laugh with the lads and Ireland winning the GS topped it off for them. The rest of the day was spent sleeping! So no run.

Plans not looking great for this week either can't make the session Wednesay and have visitors for a birthday bash next weekend ( big one today and a change in age category for me!). I can see the 10k PB at the K Club sailing off into the distance.

Cheers all C

Weekly Update 36 miles over 5 days

Between having visitors over and trying to look after the achilles I pretty much had 10 days of no running before getting out for a lap of the Phoenix Park last Saturday.

So this week.

Monday: Day off and airport drop at lunch time so managed to get out for just over 5 miles in the afternoon.

Nice lap from the house taking in Liffey Valley and the gentle rolling(not really) hills of Waterstown Park. More effort than it should have been but probably an effect of lack of activity. Good to get out and achilles feeling ok.

Wednesday: Not much of a session at the club this week with the BHAA 10k at the weekend. So got down for a 3.5 mile warm-up from the club through the Memorial Park then a quick shake out of 5 x 200m then the same 3.5 route for the cool down.

Thursday: Early morning 4 miles with one of the lads before work. 8.00 per mile. Stretching and foam rolling at lunchtime. Achilles a bit tender after the semi session and early morning run.

Saturday BHAA K Club 10k: seriously considered not running this but had arranged with a few lads from club to go out. Knew it wasn't going to be a good run with the lack of proper training and soreness in the achilles.

Shuffled round in about 43 minutes pretty much in pain from about 3k in; almost stopped at the end of the first loop. Totally switched off after about 7km and the heart just wasn't in it. Great running from the Donore lads with the overall winner and O40 and O45 winners.

Spotted WW in his warm-up and totally confused Singer by giving him a shout out in the finish area!

Plenty of icing and self massaging of the achilles afterwards.

Sunday: 9 miles with the lads from Club this morning. Let them off at the North Road as the pace was cranking up. Tough enough after the 10k yesterday.

Unfortunately I think a trip to the Physio is required this week to have a look at this achilles....got a stretching routine from the coach as well.

First real running related issue; even my surgery last year wasn't running related.

Needs to be sorted before it becomes an issue.

To use a good Scottish phrase to sum up how I am....."totally scunnered"

C

So I checked into my first ever Physio visit yesterday. No bad news.

Have a thickening of the achilles so taking anti anflamitories for that. He believes the root cause of the issue is weak muscles on the outside of my hip ( shocking memory of what muscle it was!). Worked on the calf/achilles and done some dry needling.

Resistance band exercises for strengthening the muscle which I kicked off at lunchtime today and also some stretching for the achilles.

Need to also get working on my core ( an area that I totally neglect).

Back again next Thursday so no running until then but then I should be good to go. National 10k is off the agenda.

C

Getting somewhat back on track. 4 days for a whopping 20 miles!

So a couple of Physio trips to work on my achilles (second one worse than the first) I got back out last week.

Monday: Physio prescribed a few kms of 1 min on 1 min off. Headed up to the Phoenix Park and completed 15 x 1 min jog/run and 1 min walk with a 3 min jog back to the car. Took it nice and easy; a bit of tenderness starting off but nothing too bad. Felt good to get back out.

Tuesday: Bit of stiffness in the achilles in the morning buy nothing major......leisurely 5 miles at 08.21 with a couple of lads from the club.

Wednesay: Down to the club and ran some of the warm up with the lads doing the session got just over 5 miles done at 8.12.

Saturday: Headed into the Phoenix Park from the club and headed up to the Popes Cross cut across the road and ran the 2 Mile Civil Service Loop down behind the back of the GAA/Cricket Pitch back to the start point and cut across Acres Road and ran a loop of the American Embassy and back to the club a touch over 6 miles enjoyable if somewhat warm!

Sunday headed out to Raheny to watch the National Road relays.Highly recommended if you have not been out to it! Some quality running and top athletes out there. A brilliant Team Gold in the M35 for Donore in a finish where there was a second between the Top 3. Delighted for the lads and a brilliant reward for their training over the winter . All said though Mick Clohisey was running for Raheny and I still maintain he is the coolest runner in the country!

So plan for this week.....maybe try 1/2 a session and just build up gradually. Need to keep up the stretches/resistance band stuff as well.

Have to admit watching London has the marathon thoughts back.

6 Day 45 Miles for the week. A full week back.

Monday: 4 miles @ 7.40 per mile. Swords Estuary loop before work with one of the speedy lads in work bit quicker than planned but nice to get it done and at the desk for 0800.

Tuesday: 6 miles at 08.00 per mile with one of the lads from the Club. Into the Phoenix Park at the Chapelizod Gate up through the Furry Glen and down the back of the Park and out at Park Gate Street and back to the club. Good run but the effort towards the end were feeling a bit tougher than they should have been ( maybe down to the dreaded pollen!!)

Wednesday: A will I; won't I day as it was session day. Bit of a down week before the speed training kicks in so it was 4 × 1 mile with 45 sec recoveries. Decided to give it a go but not good totally mad.

Just over a three mile warm up took us to the football pitches at the Acres Road. Mile splits:
    6.56;7.06;6.54;7.04

Tough in the wind and a bit of tenderness in the achilles but overall happy enough. Cool Down took it to almost 10 miles for the night.

Thursday: Happy to report no I'll affects from Wednesday. The real boss was walking in the Phoenix Park so I had a 40 minute window of opportunity to get a run in.

Absolutely not route in my head when I started so this turned into an enjoyable ramble around the park 5 miles done 40 minutes. Love these runs when you just switch off and head out.

Saturday: Big test today. Short session on paper of 3 x (6x100m 50 sec recoveries with 5 mins between sets) knew this had the potential to put some strain on the achilles. All 18 100s between 18.5 and 17 seconds. Again bit of a dull ache in the achilles but nothing too bad.....both just as bad as each other so could just be the track running on the ball of the feet at a decent pace. Decent warm up and cool down braught it to just over 9 miles.

Sunday: 10 mile club run at 8.00 per mile.

All in all a good week. Couple of short gym core sessions and getting the stretches/resistance band stuff done aswell.

Thanks for reading C.

• Advertisement

That's a good solid week. You'll be back to full steam in no time. Hope the Achilles settles fully.

Advertisement