Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The (Not So) Flying Scotsman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Hopefully so J I think that is achievable.
    You've improved a lot since then. That PB is definitely going to go. Sub 34 achievable do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hey Craig,

You're doing well of late.

I've just caught up and noticed since the paces were questioned in November you haven't posted them. Don't be shy, we won't bite. When I first started my log I was covering 5 miles on lunch, turns out the correct pace was 4 miles = easy pace.

Don't think you got an answer on the hi-vis. Register on the RSA website and they will send you bibs for running and cycling, they are excellent. It's a bit difficult to locate on the site but register and it is clearer.

Enjoy Raheny.

Thanks aquinn. I will get back to posting my paces on my next updates.

An example from last week on the 3 runs outside of my two club sessions were

Tuesday 5.5 miles @ 08:30
    Thursday 4.7 miles @ 08:38

And the long run at the weekend @ 08:42; this was with a few lads from the club.

Really enjoying the structured sessions.

Craig
    aquinn wrote: »
    Hey Craig,

You're doing well of late.

I've just caught up and noticed since the paces were questioned in November you haven't posted them. Don't be shy, we won't bite. When I first started my log I was covering 5 miles on lunch, turns out the correct pace was 4 miles = easy pace.

Don't think you got an answer on the hi-vis. Register on the RSA website and they will send you bibs for running and cycling, they are excellent. It's a bit difficult to locate on the site but register and it is clearer.

Enjoy Raheny.

Mid week update.

Tuesday 7 miles @ 8.41 per mile. Ran down from Palmerstown to the Chapelizod Gate of the Phoenix Park up the switch backs and out at the Islandbridge Gate and back along outside of the park. Certainly different running in the park in darkness on your own. Pushed the pace for mile 6 coming out of Chapelizod.

Wednesday Club session 2 mile warm up followed by 12 sets of 600m reps on the track times for these were 2:1x for them all; one minute recovery between them. Much easier on the joints than the 400s on the road last week. One mile cool down afterwards....8 miles done in total.

Today coughing and spluttering about the place hopefully not so ming down with something before Sunday!

The easy decision has been made; no Raheny tomorrow tried to convince myself I wasn't too bad but had to bail on a very easy 4 miles after 25 minutes wheezy chesty cough and no energy.

Time to let the body recover before the Wednesday session.

• Advertisement

So whatever bug/virus I picked up before Raheny kept me out of action for a bit longer than I first thought; ended up taking a full week off and I have to say I really missed getting out. Here is an update of what I have been up to since I came back.

Last Week 31 miles.

Saturday 4th had been out since the previous Saturday but headed to the club session could only manage 3 x 1 mile repeats on the Munich Hills was struggling to breath when the pace was upped so cut the session. Met Wubble doing his warm up for the BHAA!

Sunday 5th 7.4 miles as 08:33 Loop from home down into the Phoenix Park and back through the Memorial Park nicer pace than Sat but the legs felt pretty heavy maybe from being inactive.

Tuesday 8th Islandbridge loop 7.3 miles at 08:43. Was definitely feeling better than at the weekend.

Wednesday Club session on the road 400m repeats with a 100m recovery managed to get 14 done stayed with my normal group for the first three but reigned it back from there as I was wary of pushing it too hard.

Thursday 9th 6 mile Malahide Loop from work @ 8:07 per mile this was quicker than normal but wanted to be sure I was getting back to normal.

Saturday an easy 4 miles at 8:26.

Sunday Waterford National Masters XC a huge step up in class from where I normally am in races! Some standard; was waaaay down the pack......tough enough course I thought;and my first real introduction to XC as Dublin Masters was much easier in terms of the course. I will try and get a report up later. A couple of key learnings....never give up on those hills and that I need to work on my downhill running was losing a good bit of ground.

Hoping to sit down this week and get a plan together for 2017.....plan to race at least once a month and concentrate on speed this season. So if to here are any races you would recommend feel free to share them.....thinking of the MSB 5k and maybe the Dunboyne 4 mile next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

So whatever bug/virus I picked up before Raheny kept me out of action for a bit longer than I first thought; ended up taking a full week off and I have to say I really missed getting out. Here is an update of what I have been up to since I came back.

Last Week 31 miles.

Saturday 4th had been out since the previous Saturday but headed to the club session could only manage 3 x 1 mile repeats on the Munich Hills was struggling to breath when the pace was upped so cut the session. Met Wubble doing his warm up for the BHAA!

Sunday 5th 7.4 miles as 08:33 Loop from home down into the Phoenix Park and back through the Memorial Park nicer pace than Sat but the legs felt pretty heavy maybe from being inactive.

Tuesday 8th Islandbridge loop 7.3 miles at 08:43. Was definitely feeling better than at the weekend.

Wednesday Club session on the road 400m repeats with a 100m recovery managed to get 14 done stayed with my normal group for the first three but reigned it back from there as I was wary of pushing it too hard.

Thursday 9th 6 mile Malahide Loop from work @ 8:07 per mile this was quicker than normal but wanted to be sure I was getting back to normal.

Saturday an easy 4 miles at 8:26.

Sunday Waterford National Masters XC a huge step up in class from where I normally am in races! Some standard; was waaaay down the pack......tough enough course I thought;and my first real introduction to XC as Dublin Masters was much easier in terms of the course. I will try and get a report up later. A couple of key learnings....never give up on those hills and that I need to work on my downhill running was losing a good bit of ground.

Hoping to sit down this week and get a plan together for 2017.....plan to race at least once a month and concentrate on speed this season. So if to here are any races you would recommend feel free to share them.....thinking of the MSB 5k and maybe the Dunboyne 4 mile next.

Reports in general suggest that conditions were testing for the Nats. That's leaving aside it being a big step up even from the Dublin Masters? Maybe next year I'll have a shot at it.

Recommend this one! Don't think I will get to run it myself though; chances are I will be marshalling and/or helping out with registrations etc. We shall see.

Really enjoyed the MSB 5k last year so hope to run it again.....just signed up for The National 10k have an extremely soft PB at 10k( a shade under 48 minutes) as the last official one was Dec 2015!

I can feel a tough session coming this evening after the weekend.
    Reports in general suggest that conditions were testing for the Nats. That's leaving aside it being a big step up even from the Dublin Masters? Maybe next year I'll have a shot at it.

Recommend this one! Don't think I will get to run it myself though; chances are I will be marshalling and/or helping out with registrations etc. We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Hey just catching up on this log now. Best of luck with it! You've already got some nice times considering you're not running very long. If you can keep the consistent miles and the club sessions going, you'll set PBs this year across the board. Just be careful not to overdo the faster stuff early on, maybe build in a step-back week every so often.

MSB and Dunboyne are both good. Decent field in each and both fairly flat, definitely PB potentials.

See you down at the club sometime.
    Kevin

Thanks Kevin sounds like sensible advise! Actually going to have a couple of weeks off the Wednesday sessions due to other stuff going on.

Update from this week.

Tuesday 6.5 miles @ 8.40 per mile; was actually surprised how good the legs were feeling on Monday after the Masters XC.....Tuesday was a different story so got out for a nice easy run after work to try and loosen them off.

Wednesday Club session 2 mile warm up followed by 6 x 1kms with 1:45 rest on the road outside the club.
    Splits were 3:38; 3:57; 3:44; 4:06;3:45 and 4:08. Times heading back along Conyham Road towards the club were slower on all 3 reps bit tougher coming back. Probably went off too hard on the first one. Tough session but happy with it considering the race on Sunday. 2 mile cool down to finish.

Thursday just over 5 miles from work around the Malahide Estuary @ 8:45 per mile. Legs were pretty stiff after the session last night. Sauna and a stretch afterwards.

Plan for the rest of the week.

Friday: Rest day

Saturday: Mile repeats on the Munich Hills hoping to get 5 done.

Sunday: Long run from the club.

vanderlyle wrote: »
    Hey just catching up on this log now. Best of luck with it! You've already got some nice times considering you're not running very long. If you can keep the consistent miles and the club sessions going, you'll set PBs this year across the board. Just be careful not to overdo the faster stuff early on, maybe build in a step-back week every so often.

MSB and Dunboyne are both good. Decent field in each and both fairly flat, definitely PB potentials.

See you down at the club sometime.
    Kevin

• Advertisement

Change of plan yesterday meant the Munich Hills session was swapped to mile repeats on the road with a 2 minute recovery. So 3 mile loop around the Memorial Park then 4 x 1 miles on the road; was under pressure to get home so only had time for 4.

Splits 6:25;6:36;6:25;6:40.

Sunday 13 miles from the club at 8:41 per mile....decent group of us headed out with varying plans for the morning was a very enjoyable run.

Total for the week 5 runs for 40 miles with two decent sessions on the road. Happy with thathat.

Plan for this week looking at 4 runs as will be missing the Wednesday session....Tuesday; Thursday; Sat and Sunday.

Heading away for work Tuesday week for ten days;the hotel has a fitness centre so will have to resort to some treadmill running! Any tips on that gratefully received! Not a huge fan of them!

Been a while since the last update so here goes.

Tuesday 21st 11 miles @ 8:27 per mile ran from the house to the club to meet one of the lads who was doing 6 miles was all OK until about 8 miles in then biblical rain and winds the 2 miles from club home up the Chapelizod Hill to Palmerstown was horrific into a gale and wind.

Wednesday 22nd Jack Whitehall so missed the club session very good night though.

Thursday 23rd (Doris Day!!) 7.2 miles @ 8.11 per mile got out for a nice spin after the storm passed.....day off work so was nicely relaxed for it.

Saturday 25th club session Garda 1km x 6 in the Phoenix Park all between 3:51 and 3:56 1.45 rec total distance 9.4 miles.

Sunday 26th 12.8 miles @ 8.33 per mile. Out with a crew from the club again ran down and back home from the house.

Wednesday 1st Travelling with work so 6.5km on the hotel treadmill hated it!! Very warm in the fitness area and don't like treadmills!

Thursday 2nd: Went old school and downloaded Runkeeper to the phone and went out on a proper run 7.5 miles time 1hr. Should have brought the Garmin.

Plan for the weekend back to Dublin so club session tomorrow same as last weekend and longer run on Sunday; travelling again next week watch will be packed!

After a late with enough return from Germany on Friday night I dragged myself down to the club session yesterday.

Saturday: Club session 6 x 1km repeats in the Phoenix Park (referred to as the Garda 1km but is over by the GAA pitch) nice little loop and plenty of splashing through puddles and muck; was advised to take the shortest route through the puddles instead of around them so that's how I approached the run. 2 1/2 minute recovery between the 1kms.

Splits
    4:05
    3:47
    3:44
    3:52
    3:45

Total distance 7.5 miles all in a very good and enjoyable session.....also heard I missed an epic session on Wednesday!

Sunday 13 miles @ 8.35 per mile. Left with the 0930 group; lap of the Memorial Park and picked up a few from the club who were heading out at 1000. Back into the Park for the rest of the run. The group tends to split as everyone has different aims for the run. 4 of us stuck together for 11 miles then I left the lads who were on an 18 miler and headed back to the club. Really enjoying the long Sunday runs with the group. Legs felt pretty heavy after the session yesterday but was ok after a few miles.

Plan for this week: back to Germany tomorrow at stupid o'clock.....hopefully get three runs in over there this week about 20 miles in total or so hopefully no treadmill running!
    Back in Dublin on Friday night then the club have 6 Mile XC race on Saturday that I hope to take part in.

Also signed up for the St Patrick's 5km and plan to give the K Club 10km a go aswell at the end of March. Need to set a 10km target time as I have not run an official one since 2015! I think my fastest one (unofficial) actually came in the Frank Duffy 10 last summer!

After a late with enough return from Germany on Friday night I dragged myself down to the club session yesterday.

Saturday: Club session 6 x 1km repeats in the Phoenix Park (referred to as the Garda 1km but is over by the GAA pitch) nice little loop and plenty of splashing through puddles and muck; was advised to take the shortest route through the puddles instead of around them so that's how I approached the run. 2 1/2 minute recovery between the 1kms.

Splits
    4:05
    3:44
    3:52
    3:45

Total distance 7.5 miles all in a very good and enjoyable session.....also heard I missed an epic session on Wednesday!

Sunday 13 miles @ 8.35 per mile. Left with the 0930 group; lap of the Memorial Park and picked up a few from the club who were heading out at 1000. Back into the Park for the rest of the run. The group tends to split as everyone has different aims for the run. 4 of us stuck together for 11 miles then I left the lads who were on an 18 miler and headed back to the club. Really enjoying the long Sunday runs with the group. Legs felt pretty heavy after the session yesterday but was ok after a few miles.

Plan for this week: back to Germany tomorrow at stupid o'clock.....hopefully get three runs in over there this week about 20 miles in total or so hopefully no treadmill running!
    Back in Dublin on Friday night then the club have 6 Mile XC race on Saturday that I hope to take part in.

Also signed up for the St Patrick's 5km and plan to give the K Club 10km a go aswell at the end of March. Need to set a 10km target time as I have not run an official one since 2015! I think my fastest one (unofficial) actually came in the Frank Duffy 10 last summer!

Great work on the session and long run, it's a sign that the fitness is building.

Taking a leaf out of my book with all the races coming up :D Might see you at the K-Club. Best of luck!

Thanks J; looking forward to the K Club 10k heard good things about it.....especially the spread afterwards!!
    Great work on the session and long run, it's a sign that the fitness is building.

Taking a leaf out of my book with all the races coming up :D Might see you at the K-Club. Best of luck!

Grüße von Frankrurt

Week 2 of my work trip to Frankfurt....thankfully back to Dublin this evening. Happy to get three runs in this week.

Tuesday 8miles @ 7:56 per mile.....headed out with half a plan on a route and went from there;ended up just running 4 miles then following the same route back; snappy enough 8 miles.....minutes per mile pace skewed a bit by a fast last 2 miles.

Wednesday 5 miles @ 7:48 per mile....a run on the dreaded treadmill in the hotel fitness centre ( a term I use very loosely; more like a large cupboard!); this was the only option owing to the lashing rain. Not a fan of treadmills but needs must!

Thursday 7.5 miles @ 8.14 per mile.....looped route from the hotel.....legs a bit stiff after the treadmill. One thing I will say about here is that the cycle ways are excellent with great signage with distances so it is pretty easy to pick a route.

Plan for the weekend: Club XC tomorrow (6 miles); will probably take that handy enough as I am not back until late this evening then watch Scotland win the Triple Crown!

Sunday: Longer run from the club....thinking about 10 miles.

Cheers

Craig

Grüße von Frankrurt

Week 2 of my work trip to Frankfurt....thankfully back to Dublin this evening. Happy to get three runs in this week.

Tuesday 8miles @ 7:56 per mile.....headed out with half a plan on a route and went from there;ended up just running 4 miles then following the same route back; snappy enough 8 miles.....minutes per mile pace skewed a bit by a fast last 2 miles.

Wednesday 5 miles @ 7:48 per mile....a run on the dreaded treadmill in the hotel fitness centre ( a term I use very loosely; more like a large cupboard!); this was the only option owing to the lashing rain. Not a fan of treadmills but needs must!

Thursday 7.5 miles @ 8.14 per mile.....looped route from the hotel.....legs a bit stiff after the treadmill. One thing I will say about here is that the cycle ways are excellent with great signage with distances so it is pretty easy to pick a route.

Plan for the weekend: Club XC tomorrow (6 miles); will probably take that handy enough as I am not back until late this evening then watch Scotland win the Triple Crown!

Sunday: Longer run from the club....thinking about 10 miles.

Cheers

Craig

I'm not sure if you read The Boggers Log here, but I highly recommend it. TbL is the Boards treadmill king :)

Best of luck with the rugby tomorrow. Either way the championship goes to the last day AFAIK. You may or may not know that there was no actual Triple Crown trophy until 2006 :confused:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Crown_(rugby_union)

Weekend Update.

Saturday club run 6.2 miles at 7.51 minutes per mile.....the planned race yesterday had to be postponed due to issues hosting the run in the park. Great turn out from both the men's and ladies sections to pay remembrance to both a Donore and Irish Athletics legend.

Sunday: A tough easy session if that makes sense. 10 miles at 8.41 per mile.
    The first longish run I had done on my own for a while; a nice loop from the house down through the Memorial Park up the Infirmary Road and into the Phoenix Park round the polo field upto the Furze Road and out the Chapelizod Gate and home.

Really felt it in the legs and never really got into any sort of rhythm; the last few miles were actually the best ones!

Total for the week just shy of 37 miles over 5 runs.

Plan for this week; 6-7 miles on Tuesday; Club session on Wednesday a few easy miles on Thursday and Saturday then the MSB 5k on Sunday....hopefully get the 5k PB down to under 19:30.

A week which didn't go to plan. Just over 23 miles for the week.

Tuesday: 7 miles @ 08:03 per mile. Loop of the perimeter of the Phoenix Park with one of the lads from the club.

Wednesday: Club session 9 miles in total. Loops of the triangle at the Chapelizod Gate steady on the up hill;fast on the flat and jog downhill section. About an 800m loop 9 reps.

Thuesday: Head cold kicked in.

Friday: An easy 4 miles @ 8:35 per mile.

Sunday: MSB 5k in a pretty disappointing 20:25. Dosed up with Sudafed and headed in for the run....didn't think I was feeling too bad but not 100% splits
    4:01
    3:58
    4:06
    4:12
    4:01

Probably started a bit too far back; never really got going to be honest;didn't feel like there was anything there. Found the section along the canal into the headwind pretty tough as was pretty isolated at this point. Pretty disappointing all the way round......don't think anyone passed me though; if I can take some comfort from that....felt like an easy training run!Not the day I had planned.

Not sure on the K Club 10k this coming weekend; will make a call on that later in the week.

Well done, I wouldn't be too disappointed with that time at all, especially in such wretched conditions.

• Advertisement

Weekly Update
    39.5 miles across 5 runs.

Tuesday 7.4 miles @ 08.03 per mile.
    Headed out on what is becoming a favourite mid week loop for me....Palmerstown down to Chapelizod through the Memorial Park and into the Phoenix Park at Islandbridge up past the Magazine Fort down the S Bends and out the Phoenix Park at Chapelizod. Threw in a 7.34 min mile up the killer Hill from the West County Hotel to the N4.....felt like a blast up the hill!

Wednesday club session 7.7 miles.....horrible evening very low numbers with a lot of the lads running the K Club.....18 x 400m reps on the road outside the club with a 100m recovery thankfully one of the speedier lads dropped back after 6 reps and compelted the session with me....my usual crew weren't there. Tough session on a bad evening great to get it done.

Thursday 4.1 miles Swords Estuary Loop @ 8.13 per mile.....tried to do this recovery run on effort so wasn't keeping an eye on the watch....ended up being too quick one of these days I will get it right! Polar opposite from Wednesday lovely evening for a run.

Saturday club session in the Phoenix Park 1km loops with a two minute recovery. One of the lads was coming back from injury so ran three reps with him then the last three on my own....set myself the challenge of each km being quicker than the last . Splits were 4.06;3.58;3.55;3.53;3.49 then 3.44 so mission accomplished. A run from club to the park and back down made it 7.5 miles in total.

Sunday 12.5 miles at 8.32 per mile. Route Palmerstown into the Phoenix Park and a fairly random loop around ....cracking morning for a run found it tough enough going after a good weeks training....pretty warm aswell so took a detour into Farmleigh to use one of the water fountains in there.

All in all a good weeks training but probably need to slow down a bit on the easier runs.

Midweek Update

Monday 25 minutes S&C

Tuesday 6.6 miles @ 8.01 met one of the lads down at the club and had a nice lap on the perimeter of the Phoenix Park quickly becoming a regular Tuesday run. Big difference to be in the park in the day light.

Wedensday Club session 10.4 miles. Session was 1 mile at 10k pace between the Chapelizod Gates and Islandbridge Gate of the park....90 second jog turning left at the Magazine Fort then tempo pace from there to the white bollards of the Furry Glen ( about 1.8 miles) and jog back to start. 2 loops done with a 2 km warm down. Tough session especially from the Chapelizod Gate to the Furry Glen plenty of climbing good to get it done though.

Thursday 25 minutes S&C at lunchtime in work then 4.2 mile recovery run around the Swords Estuary.

Rest day tomorrow then 800m repeats on the Polo Grounds on Saturday and a Sunday long run.

Over 150 miles covered in March which I think is my highest monthly total yet; even including marathon training last year.

Great Ireland run next weekend so a quiet enough week is on the cards.

Midweek Update

Monday 25 minutes S&C

Tuesday 6.6 miles @ 8.01 met one of the lads down at the club and had a nice lap on the perimeter of the Phoenix Park quickly becoming a regular Tuesday run. Big difference to be in the park in the day light.

Wedensday Club session 10.4 miles. Session was 1 mile at 10k pace between the Chapelizod Gates and Islandbridge Gate of the park....90 second jog turning left at the Magazine Fort then tempo pace from there to the white bollards of the Furry Glen ( about 1.8 miles) and jog back to start. 2 loops done with a 2 km warm down. Tough session especially from the Chapelizod Gate to the Furry Glen plenty of climbing good to get it done though.

Thursday 25 minutes S&C at lunchtime in work then 4.2 mile recovery run around the Swords Estuary.

Rest day tomorrow then 800m repeats on the Polo Grounds on Saturday and a Sunday long run.

Over 150 miles covered in March which I think is my highest monthly total yet; even including marathon training last year.

Great Ireland run next weekend so a quiet enough week is on the cards.

Just goes to show the progress you've made since DCM. You're probably feeling much more comfortable racking up the miles too.

Actually shocked myself when I looked back at the month!

Will need to keep an eye out for you at the 10k Sunday week J.....looks like a tough enough course

Just goes to show the progress you've made since DCM. You're probably feeling much comfortable racking up the miles too.

Saturday Club Session Polo Grounds 8 x 800 ( about 830m) with 1.45 recovery. Both the men and ladies were doing their session on the polo grounds so there was a decent gang of us up there.

Circa 800m loops (a bit longer) with a 1.45 recovery; legs were feeling heavy after the Wednesday session.

3.14;3.08;3.09;3.09;3.08;3.14;3.12;3.09

Pretty consistent splits so happy with that.

Total 8.4 miles including the jog up to and back from the polos.

Sunday very sedate 10 miles @ 9 minutes per mile with a few from club.

Over 40 miles for the week so happy with that.

Doing the Great Ireland Run next Sunday so I expect this week will be taken lightly enough. It will be my first official 10k since December 2014!

Weekly Update

32.3 miles over 5 days.

This week was always going to be a bit of a step back week distance wise with Great Ireland Run in the Phoenix Park

Monday: My usual day off running so 25 minutes S&C in the work gym.

Tuesday:6.6 miles @ 8.07 the now traditional Tuesday Phoenix Park Loop with one of the lads from the club.

Wednesday: 1/2 Club Session 6 x 600m on the track; first time on the track for a while and enjoyed it. Splits 2.11;2.06;2.10;2.08;2.06;2.05 ran up and down to the session so just over 9 miles today.

Thursday: 25 minutes S&C in the gym followed by the Premier League Darts in the 2.3 Arena!

Friday: 3.8 miles @ 8.15

Saturday: 3 miles @ 8.15 a couple of easy miles with a faster middle one.

Sunday: Great Ireland Run 10km official time 41.50 nice shiny PB!

First official 10km since Dec 2014 (just over 48 minutes so I guess this was my official PB!) I think I had gone just under 45 minutes for 10km during the FD 10 mile last summer.

Parked up at the club about 1000 and headed up with a few of the lads who were also running it. Was there in plenty of time to see the Elite Women and Club runners off @ 1100.

Plan for today was to set a target for the rest of the year and had somewhere around 42 minutes in my head with the realisation that it wasn't the easiest course for a fast time.

Was a bit strange lining up in the first pen but got a nice spot towards the back and waited for the gun and we were off.

Hoped to get through the first 5km in about 20:30 knowing that the second half was going to be a good bit tougher. Got into a nice rhythm at the start first 5km splits 4.03;4.01;4.05;4.00;4.07 purposefully did not go too quickly down the Kaiber Road as knew what lay ahead. Was happy to get some water in the just before the 5km mark. Maybe a little bit quicker than planned but not too much

This is where I knew the race was really going to step up a notch. Tried to keep the momentum going up Magazine Hill and was glad to get to the top of it and settle back into it again. Was still happy with how things were going but could feel the calf tighten just between the 6 and 7km mark. There was a good bit of Donore support around the Chapelizod Gate so that spurred me on a bit. Knew that if I got out the Furry Glen still going ok then sub 42 was on; found that section tough and was glad to get onto the flat at the Knockmaroon Gates. Managed to keep the pace up from here splits for the last 5km 4:15;4:17;4:30;4.38 and 3.57.

All in all happy with the result and gives me something to build on for the year....maybe sub 40 on an easier course is not a pipe dream after all.

Apologies for the epic post.

Congrats on the PB! I had an idea sub 42 would be on for you?

Thanks J happy with how it went.....tough enough from the Islandbridge Gate to the end.....found the climb from the Furry Glen tough.

A long over due update from me have been neglecting the log for the past couple of weeks....time to get back on it.

Still been ticking along nicely apart from the week before last where family stuff had to take priority.

This week 32 miles over four runs ( golf got in the way to getting the 5 done!)

Tuesday Phoenix Park loop from the club 6.5 miles at 8:13 per mile.

Wednesday club session 3.5 mile warm-up then onto the track 2 sets of 6 x 500m with 70 sec jogging between reps and 5 minute jog between the 2 sets of pretty much bang on 1 minute 50 for the 12 x 500m pushed the last one a little more.....2.5 mile cool down...so just under 11 miles total.....good to close away the cobwebs after the weekend that had just gone.

Thursday 5 miles at 8:21 per mile recover run from the house.

Saturday club session at the Polo Grounds jog up to the polos from the club then. 3 x 2k with 2 minute 30 jog between them then 1 mile easy the 3 x 30 seconds hard/30 seconds easy. All kms between 4.07 and 3.59 for the last one. Jog back to the club for just over 9 miles.

Two quality sessions with the club this week and looks like a good month ahead with the plan that was sent out to us all....unfortunately missing the 5k goal race this month but will be giving the Terenure 5 mile at the weekend a go; heard good things about it.

• Advertisement

My week so far

4 runs 25 miles

Monday: 25 minutes core and S&C in the gym at work

Tuesday: 7 miles @ 8.02 per mile.Phoenix Park Loop from Club. Headed out along the Chapeizod Road and into the park at the main gates through the Rose Gardens and up the North Road ( still don't like this part of the park); down past Farmleigh through the Fury Glen and back to the club.

Wednesday: 6 miles @ 7.32 per mile. 1/2 the Wedneday club session with a two mile warm-up and cool down. 8 x 300m on the track with 50 sec recoveries....alll reps pretty much bang g on 60 seconds. Small enough turn out as a good few of the lads were out blitzing the Leixlip 5k.

Thursday: 6-7 mile recovery in the Phoenix Park from the club....watch was acting up at the start so not sure on the exact distance. 25 minutes in the gym at lunchtime.

Friday: A few of us headed to Pats v Drogheda my first ever LoI match!

Saturday: 5 miles @ 8.52 headed out from the club to the Polo Grounds completed and few laps with some strides thrown in then back to the club.

No session today as running Terenure tomorrow. Hopefully a positive update after that....think my last 5 mile was 35:50 in the race series last year.

Advertisement