Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The (Not So) Flying Scotsman

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Terenure 5 Mile
    Time 32:35.

Headed down to Terenure nice and early with a couple of lads from the club. Got the number and t-shirt collected no problems (great organisation from the volunteers) and had the obligatory pre race pit stop!

A nice 1.5 mile warm-up over part of the course. Was pretty warm with a bit of a wind blowing. A few strides then over to the start line. Lined up about 10 rows from the front.

Mile 1: 6.21 Very little congestion as we headed off; sharp left turn about 200 m from the start and we were on a nice down net down hill first mile along what is part of the marathon course of I am not mistaken. Off slightly quicker than planned.

Mile 2 6.31 From the warm-up knew this was going to be a bit of a drag and into the wind. Was just a case of sticking to pace and getting into a rhythm....didnt manage to get any water on board just after mile 2 which would have been handy.

Mile 3 6.29 another slight drag for most of mile 3 but had it going pretty much to pace and knew that when we hit the Terenure Road there would be a bit of respite. Spotted one of the lads from Club here a few hundred yards ahead so had a sort of target to aim for.

Mile 4 6.28 made use of the respite on Ternenure Road to keep the pace nice and steady.

Mile 5 6.35 found the last mile pretty tough but just dug in and tried to keep the pace up....there wasn't much kick at the end (which I never thought was going to come). Crossed the line @ 32.33 on the watch and 32.35 official time.

A handy 1.5 mile cool down followed by some coffee at race HQ.
    All in all happy with the time....a big improvement on my last 5 mile which was part of the 2016 Race Series and a definite marker set down for later in the season.

Great event and hope to be back next year.

Thanks for reading!

Monday 5.5 miles @ 8.27 per mile. Monday is typically one of my rest days from running but after Terenure on Sunday I opted for a strech of the legs. Just a nice loop from work around the Estuary in Malahide. Didnt bother checking the watch on the way round and just ran by feel.

Tuesday Club Session.....a change of days this week as there is a goal race 5k next Tuesday. Couple of miles warm up then 12 x 400m on the track with a 60 second jog recovery. Pretty much bang on 87 seconds for the first 10 then an 84 and a 82 to finish......wasnt looking forwars to it after racing Sunday but was happy with how it went. A touch over 6.5 miles in the end.

Wednesday headed into work early and went for a nice trot along the shore road from Malahide to Portmarnock lovely morning for a run. 7.5 miles @ 8.21

Tomorrows club session is 11 miles with 3 at LT pace. Plan is to head to the Phoenix Park for that.

Thursday 11 miles @ 8.02 per mile....club session moved from Saturday as big 5k on in Enfield.

Warm up run from the club along Cunnyham Road and into the Phoenix Park towards the top of the North Road then 3 x 1 mile at LT pace with a 3 minute recovery used the Bloom Loop for the 3 x 1 miles.

6.36;6.34 and 6.20 probably a few seconds quicker than planned but got dragged along with the other lads.....couple of mile cool down back to the club. Warm and legs pretty heavy.

Saturday nice early start and got out for just over 7 miles; house-Memorial Park-Phoenix Park S Bends loop 8.25 per mile then off to God Son number 1s Communion.

Another decent week under the belt....38 miles over 5 runs from Monday to Saturday including 2 sessions; throw in the Terenure 5 mile last Sunday so a good bit done....decided to listen to the body and take a rest day today.

This weeks plan is 7 miles tomorrow early before work; 35 minutes on Wednesday with a few strides; Thursday Staff Relay (late addition due to pull outs!) then back on track with the club plans.

That was the week that was....

42 miles over 5 days

Monday 8 miles @ 8.14 per mile.....a very warm post work run; 4 miles out along the coast road from Swords to Portmarnock.....striaght out and back run with a pit stop to take on some water at the half way point.

Wednesday an early 4 miles @ 7.48 per mile before work. No club session tonight so pushed the pace a bit was still bloody warm and humid @ 7am though.

Thursday....couple of pull outs in the work teams for the Staff Relay in the Phoenix Park. Probably the nicest day of the year and very warm waiting around to get going;went out in the first leg and got round in 19.29 I think it was just shy of 5k was happy with the time due to the route ( I am sure some of the recreational runners out there didn't like it!) and the heat! Maybe the sub 19.30 is not a mad aim for the year after all! A mile or so back to the car to finish the evening off.

Saturday club session 12.5 miles @ 7.54....nice to be back to the club session after there not being one during the week as the Enfiled 5k was on. Could the weather have been any different to Thursday.....lashing rain as we completed the session on the polos. Ran down to the club from the house and headed up to the polos. Session was 2 x 12 mins @ LT with a 2 minute recovery. 1 mile jog then 5 x 1 minute hard then easy. Great session even with the weather well soaked by the end.....but I suppose you can only get wet once!

Sunday 13 miles @ 8.36 per mile with a few lads from club......all in all a fairly heavy weekend of running.

Day off tomorrow then back on track with the club sessions.....was talk of doing the Dunboyne 5 mile on Tuesday but I think I will give it a miss and aim for the Kilcock 5k at the end of June.

Thanks for reading.

Craig

Weekly Update

43 miles over 5

Monday 25 minutes in the gym at work....day off from running.

Tuesday 7 miles at 8.02 per mile....the ow traditional Tuesday run of a loop of the Phoenix Park from the club just the 2 of us this week as a few of the lads were running the BHAA in Dunboyne.

Wednesday Club Session....big crowd down for the mid week track session. Ran down from house to the club then hit the track for 15 x 400m with one minute recoveries. Tough session and found it pretty hot and humid. First 12 were all 86/87 seconds then pushed them a few seconds faster for the last 3......did not enjoy the killer hill from Chapelizod to Plamerstown on the way home! Just over 9 miles in total.

Thursday 25 minutes in the gym at work during lunchtime then an easy 5 miles @ 8.32 around the Estuary in Swords after work. Good to run the session our of the legs.

Friday: Day off.

Saturday: Club Session on the Polo Grounds 5 x 1.2ks with 2 minute recoveries. Another tough session ran at 5k pace (which I struggled to set as I have not run a 5k since March and have a good batch on training since then) pace was between 3.53 and 3.47 per km. Had to hang onto the lads a bit on the third rep but got it back together for the 4th and 5th.

Sunday long run with the lads from the club just over 13 miles at 8.22 per mile. Really enjoying the longer Sunday morning runs in the park. Lovely morning for a run.

• Advertisement

Weekly Update

41 miles over 5 runs.....hitting the 40s the last few weeks so happy with that.

Tuesday 6.6 miles @ 8.13 per mile loop of the Phoenix Park from the club. Into the park at the Chapelizod Gates up through the Furry Glen and along the perimeter of the park exiting at Island Bridge and back to the club.

Wednesday Club Session: First mid week session on the Polo Grounds this year. 6km tempo followed by a 2 minute 45 recovery then 4 x 1min hard 1 minute easy. Km splits 4.10:4.11:411:4.12:4.07:3.57. Happy with those splits and a good session.

Thursday 7 miles @ 8.16 another loop of the Phoenix Park.

Friday day off actually looked out the golf clubs!!

Saturday: Top notch club session....one of the toughest for a while.....all on the track this week.
    Session was 1km @ 3km pace 1 minute 50 recovery then 10 x 300 @ mile pace with 50 second recoveries followed by a other 1km @ 3km pace.
    1km splits were 3.36 and 3.39 and all the 300m hit 61 or 62 seconds. Tough but really enjoyable session.

Sunday 10 miles @ 8.29 a nice loop through the Memorial/Phoenix Park.....legs were heavy for the first couple of miles but settled into it.....blustery morning but a good end of the week.

Weekly Update
    37 miles over 5 runs.

Tuesday : An early 6 miles before work @ 8.26 per mile. A nice loop from Swords to Malahide and back with 3 x 100m efforts on the work football pitch.....done and dusted and at my desk by 0730.

Wednesday: Club Session on the track a couple of miles of a warm up followed by 6 x 600m at 3k pace with 1.30 recoveries then 5 minutes jog followed by 3 x 300m fast with 3.30 recoveries.

Splits for 600m were all 2.09 to 2.11
    300m were all 50 secs.

A very slow couple of miles to cool down. Another tough session legs were very heavy after it.

Thursday: An easy 6 mile recovery run from house at 8.37 per mile.

Saturday: Club Session on the road outside the club 800m 1.30 recovery 3 x1500m with 2.30 recovery then another 800m to finish it off all at 5k pace.

Splits
    800m 3.03
    1500m: 5.34;5.5.51 and 5.40
    800m: 3.03

A very difficult session in the heat yesterday morning.....glad I stopped off on the way home to get a vest on Friday!

Sunday 8.5 mile loop of the Phoenix Park/Castleknock from the club.

Something different on the agenda this week as I am planning on doing the Graded Meet in Tallaght (3km) on Wednesday different distance to run so will need to come up with a strategy for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Weekly Update
    37 miles over 5 runs.

Something different on the agenda this week as I am planning on doing the Graded Meet in Tallaght (3km) on Wednesday different distance to run so will need to come up with a strategy for it.

Best of luck with this one C. I haven't tried one of those before, as I don't think I'm anywhere near competitive at the moment. In general, they seem to be a fair step up from BHAA, and to a lesser extent the XC races, in terms of standard.

Main aim don't finish last! Might as well give it a go! Don't get to run many 3k races either will be good prep for Kilcock

Best of luck with this one C. I haven't tried one of those before, as I don't think I'm anywhere near competitive at the moment. In general, they seem to be a fair step up from BHAA, and to a lesser extent the XC races, in terms of standard.

Weekly Update: Just under 31 miles over 5 days.

Tuesday: A nice easy loop of the Malahide/Swords Estuary before work 4 miles at 8.21 per mile.

Wednesday: Graded Meet in Tallaght and my debut appearance on the track; had entered the 3k as I have a goal race 5k in Kilcock coming up.
    I really didn't know what to expect and I was probably my most nervous since the marathon toeing the line. The B and C grades were in the same race so 28 of us in total lined up for the starters gun; including some of the speedy lads from the club. Thankfully one of the lads from that would be about the same pace as me for training was also there.

Bang and we were off; I have to say that the lads took off like rockets and the field was strung out pretty quickly. I had a time of somewhere around 11 minutes in my head and planned on keeping an eye on the watch to make sure I wasn't doing anything stupid pace wise ( a bit more on this later). Settled into the pace I wanted to run and got through the first 3 1/2 laps with the lad from the club just behind me and about a 25m gap to the next one. The pain I was expecting came in middle of the race but I was confident in the block of training that I had done that I would be able to hold on. I could see the lad ahead was tying up a bit so I had my sights on him and passed him out there was about 1 1/2 laps to go and I was actually feeling pretty strong so pushed on and caught the next lad ahead of me. According to the watch I was still bang on time for 11 minutes ( lesson learned don't trust the watch and have lap splits worked out) crossed the line in 11.09 and was happy enough with that.

Have to say I really enjoyed the graded meet and would recommend it if are thinking of doing one. It was enjoyable watching all the other races and encouraging the other folks from the club.

Thursday easy 6 miles @ 8.46.

Saturday: Club Session.....1mile at 10k pace 2.40 recovery 1200m at 5k pace 2.30 recovery 800m at 3k pace 2.20 recovery then 400m fast. Tough session after Wednesday.

Sunday: 8 easy miles loop in the Phoenix Park.

Week ahead is easy enough with a build up to the Kilcock 5k on Friday hoping for a decent PB after a good block of training.

• Advertisement

A small week distance wise but a big step in the right direction.

Weekly Update
    Mileage 27 miles over 4 days.

Big week this week with a goal race 5km in Kilcock; training for the past couple of months had been geared towards this.

Tuesday: The usual Wednesday club session was brought forward to Tuesday and was a controlled session of 2 x 1200m (400 tempo;400 5k pace;400 tempo) with three minute recovery between the sets followed by 2 x 100m strides. The key word for this was controlled.

Thursday an easy 4 miles before work a loop of the Swords/Malahide Estuary with 2 minutes at LT pace. Took the miles nice and easy.

Friday Kilcock 5km (Goal Race): Training had been going well and I had had a decent time of 11.08 for 3km on the track in Tallaght last week. A nice 4 km warm up taking in the first 2 km of the course followed by a couple of laps of the track with some strides thrown in.

Official PB for 5k stood at 19.54 from the Tom Brennan New Years Day run although I had ran 19.29 ( watch only so didn't count as PB) as part of the Staff Relay event in May. Had a time of somewhere around 19.10 in my head but had a chat with one of the lads before the race and we thought that sub 19 might be achievable so decided to run somewhere around 3.48 per km for the first 2 km and see how we felt.

Lined up about 5 rows or so from the front and we were off (caught slightly by the starter as was chatting!). There are a couple of twists and turns for the first 500m or so but found a nice spot in the middle of the road without to much congestion. Check of the watch showed that I had gone off slighly quick. Through the first km in 3.44 but was feeling good.

By this point we were on to nice country roads....was feeling strong and felt that the pace I was running was not too crazy....nothing much to report in this km...through the km in 3.43.

There is a slight incline as you cross over the M4 during the third km tried to maintain the pace here but could feel I was dropping a few seconds compared to the first 2 km; although I was passing people here which was good....beep of the watch bang on the 3km mark on the road 3.50 ok bit slower but this was bang on the pace I had in my head ealier in the day. No big panic after a good first 2km.

At this point I was doing the maths and thinking hang in there and a sub 19 is on....trust the training and keep turning the legs over.....focussed on one of the lads from the club who was about 50m ahead and just let the legs do the work....was starting to feel it though..nice bit of club support with about 1200m to go check of the watch for this km confirmed I was back on the same pace at the first 2kms....through the 4th km in 3.42.

This is when I thought hold onto this and there is a big PB up for grabs....one of the lads had said before hand that it was a fast finish...through the 800m to go and the pace wasn't dropping.....was a bit isolated at this point as had no one really close....400m to go.....come on sub 18.45 is on.....could see the finish line and tried to push it....over the line with not much more to give 3.43 for the 5th km 18.42 on the watch and 18.44 official time......delighted with it. First time I have actually gone off hard in a race and managed to keep the pace up.

One goal for the year ticked off sub 19 5km in the bag.

6 miles was on the plan for yesterday but was playing golf so took a day off.

Nice 8.5 miles this morning.

Apologies for the epic post!

Onwards and upwards now.

Craig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great stuff Craig, fantastic PB. Well raced.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Consistent weeks of solid work paying off, congrats on the PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That's brilliant, well done you! Fair play on having the nerve to go for graded as well; still way too rich for my blood I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Brilliant time C. That's some pace to maintain!

Thanks to you all for the words of encouragement.....a short late weekly update this week.

5 days
    47 ish miles.

Tuesday 8 miles before work @ 8.12 per mile.

Wednesday Club Session....Polo Grounds 5 x 1 mile with 90 sec recoveries.
    Splits 6.25;6.30;6.32;6.30 and 6.09 to finish. Tough session with the short recoveries and the heat.

Thursday 8 miles @ 8.16 before work.

Saturday Club Session Polo Grounds 7 x 1km with 1.45 recoveries
    Splits 3.50;3.55;3.49;3.52;3.43;3.43 and 3.36.

Sunday 12 miles @ 7.58 time a bit skewed due to a couple of quick miles in there.

Two quality sessions again last week....unfortunately missing the 2 goal races for July due to holidays. Was thinking of actually taking a week off running when I am away to rest up the legs.

Weekly Update
    42 miles over 5

Tuesday....7.5 miles @ 8.05 per mile. Nice loop from Swords into Malahide and back before work. Noticing that the easy runs are getting naturally a little quicker...have been tending to just run these on effort.

Wednesday Club Session. Warm up then 1 mile with a 2 minute recovery followed by 10 x 400m with 1 minute recovery.
    Splits mile 5.58
    400s 88;85;86;86;86;85;87;84;84;
    Nice consistent splits and pushed the last one.

Thursday 7 miles at 7.42 loop of the Phoenix Park with one of the lads from club pushed ourselves a bit on this but felt good.

Saturday Pyramid Session on the Polo Grounds 1200;1 mile;2000;1 mile then 1200.....1.45 rec after and before the 1200 others 2 mins.

Splits 4.42;6.25;7.47;6.20;4.28

Tough session in the heat and the wind but a good one and nice to do the last mile and 1200 quicker that the first set.

Sunday 11 mile at 8.07 planned a bit shorter than planned due to time constraints!

Another good week under the belt.....heading off on holidays for 2 weeks on Saturday there will be a cutting back on the miles.....feels like a good time to give the legs a break and get out for a few easy miles.....not sure how the body will like the mid 30s and running though!

Hurtling quickly towards the 1000 miles for the year and should have that chalked off sometime in August.....much earlier than last year.

Latest Update....

Just back from a great 2 weeks in Cyprus with more Scuba Diving than running especially in the first week.

One solitary 4 mile run the first week....just too hot to be getting out.

Week 2 I confined myself to the hotel gym treadmill with four runs with a max of just shy of 5 miles.....really do not like running on treadmills but just wanted to get something done. Got out for 10 miles this morning with a couple of the lads from the club. Tough enough after travelling back yesterday but nice to be back to proper running.

This week's plan is to get out for 4 or 5 runs as we have a break from sessions with the club with the XC focussed training to start in ernest in a couple of weeks. Actually have an entry for the RnR 1/2 on Sunday but going to give it a miss. Might throw an improvised session into the mix mid week.

Should also go through the 1000 miles for the year barrier this week.

Shake off the holiday excess and get back to routine are the main focusses.

Weekly Update
    4 Runs just short of 34 Miles; 1000 miles for 2017 in the bag.

No official sessions with the club this week as we are on a two week break.

Tuesday: 0 has planned to get out but had s busy day in work after getting back from the holidays and had a few things going on at home.

Wednesday: A few of us from the club met at the Polo Grounds in the Phoenix Park and had a mini session of 8 x 400m with 1 minute recoveries which where all run at 1 min 30 for the reps.....nice to get the legs moving after the hols 6.8 miles in total.

Thursday: Trail run in the Phoenix Park with one of the lads from the club 7.5 miles @ 8.00 per mile.

Saturday: 8.4 miles with 4 @ tempo pace on the mile loop around the outside of the Polo Grounds miles were 6.48;6.49;6.50 and 6.45.

Sunday 11 miles @ 7.56 per mile started off at the Memorial Park as there was no access to Donore.....into Ballyfermot and followed the Rock and Roll route into the Phoenix Park at the Chapelizod Gate then a loop of the Phoenix Park down into Stoneybatter and up the Quays and followed the N4 back to the Memorial Park.

Something similar planned this week before more structured training starts again the following week.

An unplanned layoff for me after a good last couple of weeks.

Will report back in 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

After a lay off over the last 2 weeks and a Consultant visit I got the ok to get some miles in.

A very handy 2.5 miles at lunchtime in work on Thursday. Good to get back moving again.

Saturday 6 mile random loop of the Phoenix Park left from club after heading down before the Saturday training session started. Nice to be back down and catching up with the lads.

Sunday 8 miles met a group of folks I know from Fingallians who were doing 20 miles taking in a good chunk of the marathon course....left from Castleknock Gates and ran with them until Kilmainham where I headed down through Islandbrige and back into the Phoenix Park....a very sedately paced 8 miles.

It will be easy stuff for me for the next few weeks....minor Op sometime before mid October hopefully.....not ideal but have to get things sorted back in full swing before the end of November so should get the tail end of the XC Season.

Anyway good to be back doing a bit....you really do miss it when you can't get out.

Not too much action over the past couple of weeks and will be easy weeks for the foreseeable.

Couple of runs over the last two days and will be on course marking duty for the first club XC event of the season tomorrow.

Weekly Update
    4 runs 30 miles

After getting out for a couple of runs last week and not feeling any ill effects; I made the decision to get out a bit more this week but with one eye on being sensible with it.

Tuesday 7 mile loop of the Phoenix Park with a couple of the lads from the club pace was 7.53 per mile.

Wednesday 1/2 session on the Garda Loop 8 x 1 min on and 1 minute off. Sloppy after all the rain but nice to get the spikes back on again. Soaked running back to the club.

Saturday long warm up then 3 mile tempo on the Novice XC route...only a few there as plenty of the lads were running the Novice. Mile splits werr 6.47/6.47 and 6.52 happy enough with that.

Sunday 9 mile loop of the Phoenix Park from the club including passing Wubble Wubble on his last big LSR before Dublin. Had hoped to do 10 but the pace was cranking up a bit going up The Kyber so left the lads at Acres Road and headed back to the club.

The afternoon was spent watching the Novice XC....much easier from the sidelines.

Sensible again this week before the next trip to the Consultant. Good to be out doing a bit though.

Weekly Update.

A late one loads of stuff going on.

Last week 4 runs just over 33 miles. Keeping things ticking along.

Tuesday 7 mile loop of the Phoenix Park from the club.

Wednesday: As most of the lads had run the Novice XC at the weekend this was a shortened session 8 x 2 min on with a float recovery. Fairly miserable evening aroubd the 15 acres in the Phoenix Park. Tough for the last couple of reps.

Thursday and Friday off.

Saturday Session on the Polo Grounds was 7 x 1km with 90 sec recover. Decided to do 5 and got them done. Followed by a Christening a few pints and too much food.

Sunday 11 miles @ 7.52 all in the Phoenix Park....a couple of fast miles at the end skewed the time.

Was due back to the Consultant today but found out on Monday I need to get an MRI so back in on the 24th and 27th of this month.....hopefully get a date for going under the knife then!

Strange feeling training with nothing to aim for.

Should have some sort of fitness before my layoff....still aiming to be back for the Dublin Masters XC in Jan although every small delay is putting this in jeopardy!

3 Good Days and 1 Brain Freeze!

4 Day and just shy of 36 miles; funny looking back 18 months ago.....36 miles would have been a huge week now it is taking it easy.

Tuesday: 7.4 miles run from the club through the Memorial Park and a into the Phoenix Park. Nice pace and nothing too put of the ordinary to report.

Wednesday (brain freeze day): Club Session 3 mile warmup from the club through through the Phoenix Park to the 15 Acres....session was due to 3 x 2miles with 2 minute recoveries. Supposedly about 10 mile pace so 6.50-7 min pace. Didnt quite work out like that got sucked into 13.14 for the first 2 miles and 13.25 for the second....decided 1/2 through the second set that I was only doing 2.....lesson learned!

Saturday skipped the club session as it was hills; dodgy groin just wasn't needing that so got out for 11 miles @ 8.38 per mile. A nice paced run.

Sunday 8.5 miles @ 7.49 per mile went out with the Sunday long run group from the club held back with one of the other lads as they bombed off down the North Road. A decent clip and a good one to get done can't say I was feeling 100% after getting home though.

3 Good Runs and a Sensible Session
    Just under 34 miles for the week.

Tuesday a post storm loop of the Phoenix Park bit of debris dodging.
    6.7 miles @ 8.18 per mile.

Wednesday gave the club session a miss and headed out with one of the lads who has a bit of a niggle. A nice loop of the Memorial Park and into the Phoenix Park at the Chapelizod Gate up the S Bends and out Islandbridge Gate up to the main gate and back to the club.
    7.2 miles at 8.00 per mile.

Saturday: Session called for 6 x 1200m with 2 min recoveries....decided to do 5 taking first couple sensibly and upping the pace for the last 2. Enjoyed the session but was disappointed it wasn't as mucky as I expected.....cant beat splashing through the muck on an XC session. Splits were
    4.54;4.54;4.44;4.40 and 4.31.

A lesson learned from last week's brain freeze session!

Sunday 12 mile loop of the Phoenix Park with some of the lads from the club who where happy to be on a short one this morning with DCM beckoning. Pace was 8.09 per mile.

This week involves a trip to the hospital on Tuesday and a Consultant visit on Friday along with getting our for a couple runs and lending some support on Marathon Day.

A Late Weekly Update
    2 Good session.....2 easy runs and some good news at the Consultant.

Just over 30 miles for the week.

Tuesday Easy 5 miles @ 8.22 per mile with a few of the lads from the Club before we had our Jingle Bells run meeting.

Wednesay Session around the football pitches in the Phoenix Park 4 mile temp was on the agenda. There was 3 of us doing this together including a fairly new recruit who has also been caught out at the brain freeze session a couple of weeks ago. It was decided that I would be responsible for the pace and the aim was for between 6.50 and 7 mins per mile for the first three then push it for the last mile if we felt ok.
    Splits were 6.52;6.49;6.49 and 6.29. Good session and really like the tempo ones. Just shy of 9 miles in total.

Thursday nice easy 7 miles @ 8.19 from the house taking in some of the park. Nice run but a bit different being in the park on your own in the pitch dark.

Saturday was a great session of 10 x 800m on the polos. Plan was to go nice and steady on increase the pace for the last few.
    Splits were...3.20;3.21;3.18;3.19;3.19;3.18;3.15;3.15;3.12;3.02

Felt good to finish the session strong.

Sunday spent the morning being inspired by the marathon runners in Chapelizod.

So on the medical front nothing suspect to report on the abdominal pain and bowel issues that testing identified. Just the small matter of a double groin hernia op in the middle of the month; very routine and I should be back to full training before Christmas.

Dublin Masters XC might just come too soon but we will see.....will be happy to get things sorted.

Big Miles helped by two long sessions.
    48 miles over 5 runs.

Monday 8.3 miles @ 8.11 per mile.....having missed the Sunday run last week due to marathon supporting I got out for an early spin. Down from Palmerstown and into the Park at the Chapelizod Gate. Up to the Avenue past the football pitches and round the back of the zoo through the S Bends and home.....nice easy pace with a bit of a push up the hill out of Chapelizod to the N4.

Tuesday 5.4 mile @ 8.08 per mile.....short lap of the park with one of the lads from the club.

Wednesay Club Session 11.3 miles total......this was the same session I had the brain freeze on a couple of weeks ago....3 x 2 mile with 2.30 recovery around the football pitches in the park. Much more controlled this time with a push over the last mile.
    Splits 13.41;13.30 and 13.10 much happier with how I approached this session this time.

Saturday Club Session 11.7 miles total 4 mile warm up and 3 cool down with 4 x 1 with 2.30 recovery around pretty much the Garda BHAA XC route.

Splits 6.52;6.45;6.46 and 6.33

Good session in the park nice to push the last mile a bit.

Sunday 11 miles @ 8.08.....regular Sunday run in the Park with a few from the club.

All in all a good weeks work.

That was the week that was......hopefully not the last one of the year.

4 runs just under 39 miles.

Tuesday (7.4 miles @ 8.10 per mile) and Thursday (8.6 miles @ 8.11 per mile) ploughed a lonely furrow on these two runs. Almost the same route both evenings. Down into Chapelizod from the house and followed the marathon route to Kilmainham.....Tuesday cut down across Island Bridge and back along the edge of the park into Chapelizod and home....Thursday extended it by continuing onto Heuston Station (mental down that way @ 1900!!

Late finish in work so missed the Wednesday Club Session.

Saturday great pyramid session on the Garda Loop 3/4/5/6/5/4/3 minutes with 2 recovery....a well paced session where the speed increased over the session. All in all over 13 miles.

Sunday nice 10 miles from club with a decent crew out 8.04 per mile.

So that's it for 4 weeks; in for hernia surgery on Tuesday both sides of the groin getting done. At least I am going into it in decent shape so hopefully the comeback won't be too bad.Will be good that out the way and be back in full flight at the start of Jan.

Now.....any Netflix recommendations for next week??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Best of luck with the surgery C. As you said, you're going into it in great shape so the recovery should hopefully be smooth.

Advertisement