Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ncmc wrote: »
    Heard the spaces were filling up fast for Waterford so entered this evening.... Yay!!!

Ah sure, who needs work anyway, it's getting in the way of my running and Boards addictions!
    Excellent......that's the kind of attitude we like round here:D

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|3 mile easy|5miles easy incl 2 x Pyramid strides|2m easy|rest/cross|90 min easy|3m easy

The session should go as follows: after a mile or so easy warm up, break into a higher pace for 20 seconds, then 40 seconds, then a minute, then 40 seconds then 20 seconds. In between the fast bits; jog for the equivalent time. So the session should go 20 seconds hard, 20seconds easy, 40 seconds hard, 40 seconds easy etc...
    After the first set of strides, jog for about 5 minutes and then repeat. Finish off the session with a mile or two warm down to make up the 5 miles....

5k pace = 6.53/mi

This is going to test my relationship with the garmin :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

This is going to test my relationship with the garmin :eek:

Haha!! I am a complete dunce when it comes to the Garmin myself. If it's possible to run in a lit area, than you can work it OK by pressing the 'lap' button at the end of each rep and monitoring the time passed on the Garmin. For a few weeks there I was trying to count the times in my head, but recently I have realised that on the canal where I run, 2 lamposts normally take me 20 seconds of fast running, so I just base the reps on 2 lamposts, 4 lamposts, 6 lamposts etc :D

Don't worry anyway it doesn't need to be exact. Just click the lap button manually after each rep.

Sh!t I am such a bad person. I ran over a dog on the way home from work. Maybe 2. I didn't stop to look. Evil. They were over the other side of the road and they were trying to chase the car and went straight under the wheels. I feel guilty...not in a won't be able to eat my dinner sort of way but more sick feeling in my stomach. Hmmh I better not run up that way for a few weeks. Sh1t Sh1t Sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Sh!t I am such a bad person. I ran over a dog on the way home from work. Maybe 2.

:eek: ...never a dull moment in here!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Sh!t I am such a bad person. I ran over a dog on the way home from work. Maybe 2. I didn't stop to look. Evil. They were over the other side of the road and they were trying to chase the car and went straight under the wheels. I feel guilty...not in a won't be able to eat my dinner sort of way but more sick feeling in my stomach. Hmmh I better not run up that way for a few weeks. Sh1t Sh1t Sh1t

I hope that's a joke?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I hope that's a joke?
    No that was not a funny story. I was feeling so bad I had to go back up there and call in. It wasn't nice. I killed the little girls dog but the other one was fine

No that was not a funny story. I was feeling so bad I had to go back up there and call in. It wasn't nice. I killed the little girls dog but the other one was fine

Fair play on going back that must have been very difficult.

The little girl thinks I'm a b1tch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Oh no, that's awful! I am in bits if I even hit a bird in the car, can't imagine how crap you feel. But it wasn't your fault, these things happen and you did the right thing going back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

+1, took balls to go back fair play. A lot of people wouldn't.

The little girl thinks I'm a b1tch

She'll forever remember the evil witch who killed her dog but you did a very brave thing as ncmc and tang said in going back to face the music, shows great strength of character.

5k pace = 7.34/mi

Sorry to hear about today, that sounds like a terrible situation but you did the right thing.

BTW just thinking, isn't the above about to be your HM pace? Your 5k pace would be somewhere south of 7 min/mile I would say....

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about today, that sounds like a terrible situation but you did the right thing.

BTW just thinking, isn't the above about to be your HM pace? Your 5k pace would be somewhere south of 7 min/mile I would say....
    Let's forget about today. Let's move today into the abyss in the back of my mind where all the sh1t stuff goes...

Well something I read said your most recent 5k time (23.29) so that was where it came from but I'll do whatever you think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

That was very tough for you, going back, but you did the right thing.
    But as you said they ran out in front of you and you hadn't a chance to stop, so there was nothing you could do.
    It might sound harsh but dog owners are suppose to keep their dogs under control at all times and they shouldn't have been on the road. i know thats no consolation to you or the little girl but the parents are responsible here, it wasn't you fault...

Younganne wrote: »
    That was very tough for you, going back, but you did the right thing.
    But as you said they ran out in front of you and you hadn't a chance to stop, so there was nothing you could do.
    It might sound harsh but dog owners are suppose to keep their dogs under control at all times and they shouldn't have been on the road. i know thats no consolation to you or the little girl but the parents are responsible here, it wasn't you fault...
    Thanks Anne. I know it wasn't my fault deep down but I still have this really sick feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Thanks Anne. I know it wasn't my fault deep down but I still have this really sick feeling.

I know what you mean, happened me years ago, but it was a puppy that ran out under the wheels and the owner watched as it happened. Nothing i could do but i know how you're feeling. Hopefully that feeling will pass in a day or two..

3.2 miles @ 10 min/mi

5.15 km @ 6.25 min/km

emo15.gif

Session #1:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/243232336

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/243232336
    Split 1 - 1 mile warm up
    Split 2 + 3 - combined first pyramid + 5 min easy
    Got the hang of the manual laps after that :)

I wasn't dreading this as much as I used to dread the pace runs on HHN2 but I was a bit anxious about getting the splits right with the garmin. It didn't help that I threw away the english instructions last saturday. I was in a panic cause I had to 'tidy' my room before I could allow the cleaner in there and I saw them, thought sure I don't need them and threw threw them in the bin. Duh. I've never used the manual lap button so 5 minutes before I headed out I was trying to decipher instructions in French. I was thrown off then when the watch beeped for lap 1 around the mile mark so I didn't press the lap button for the first 20 sec.Had just finished that and phone rang (should have left it at home!) One of the lads in work was complaining about stuff that I did this morning. I had to be polite but inside I'm seething. And the more I think about it the crosser I get so some of the splits are a bit fast. I found it grand though the second lot are better than the first. The splits are a bit all over the place cause I only sorted out the manual lapping after a while.

I'm still in a temper :mad:

For session like this it is easier to just use the manual lap buttons I find.
    That said all the garmin manuals are available for free on the net.
    Here is the 405 one for example: http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/Forerunner405_OwnersManual.pdf

• Advertisement

That's what I thought I was doing so when it beeped after a mile it put me off a bit :D

2.19 mi @ 10.25/mi

3.5 km @ 6.42/km

Bit slow this morning....could easily have gone slower though but I thought it would be embarrassing to post up a 12min/mi time :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

2.19 mi @ 10.25/mi

3.5 km @ 6.42/km

Bit slow this morning....could easily have gone slower though but I thought it would be embarrassing to post up a 12min/mi time :D

Nothing wrong with 12 min/mile pace if that's where the body is at on a particular day!

Nothing wrong with 12 min/mile pace if that's where the body is at on a particular day!
    Ya thanks RK. I think if I didn't have the garmin with me I could have gone that pace. Maybe I'll leave the garmin off in future when I'm doing the recovery runs

P&D has arrived :D Happy days:D

.....won't get any work done today :rolleyes:

P&D has arrived :D Happy days:D

.....won't get any work done today :rolleyes:
    Am currently struggling through the first page of the first chapter. The intro was grand but when I saw physiology/lactate threshold/V02max I'm right back to the lecture theatre. Its Friday morning. The whole class is present (most are asleep) in body but not mind and Prof B is rambling on about Kreb's cycle......Must focus......:pac:

Right I'm giving up chocolate.....easy to say now when I've just polished off 2 Flakes but it has to be done :mad: I reckon if I go 2 weeks it should be long enough to rid me of the cravings. Goodbye serotonin my happy hormone friend emo47.gif Tomorrow is Day -14. The log must be obeyed!!!

Blocky I just held the plank for 2min and 3 sec ..... you need to HTFU my friend emo41.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Blocky just held the plank for 2min and 3 sec ..... you need to HTFU my friend emo41.gif

1min 3 seconds actually! And I'm damn proud of that! :pac:

blockic wrote: »
    1min 3 seconds actually! And I'm damn proud of that! :pac:
    Yeesssssssss........You may be the teacher's pet :p but I'm better than you at the plank emo78.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Yeesssssssss........You may be the teacher's pet :p but I'm better than you at the plank emo78.gif

Beat 3x3 minute planks after Menos pyramid session today!!!

Advertisement