Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭grounderfill

Renewal quote of 605 from Quotedevil who I have given a lot of business to over many, many years without one claim.

Quote is for both of us who are named drivers on each others policies, rang Insuremyvan and got a quote of 570.

We never had an accident or a penalty point between us, anyone know any other place worth ringing? Mine is commercial jeep and herself has family car.

Get your wife to give cornmarket a call. Seems male drivers in their 40's are paying through the nose...

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

38 years old driving a 2015 mazda 6 2.2 diesel. 5 years no claims bonus.
    Fully comp:
    Liberty (current insurer) 1450
    Sertus (through chill.ie) 985
    I went with sertus

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

38 years old driving a 2015 mazda 6 2.2 diesel. 5 years no claims bonus.
    Fully comp:
    Liberty (current insurer) 1450
    Sertus (through chill.ie) 985
    I went with sertus

I cannot understand how it could be so expensive to insure a family car

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tr_18

Your Age: 25
    Car type and engine: VW Passat 1.9tdi
    years driving: 7 years - 6years NCB
    any claims: Nope
    Price and provider: €916 Aviva through Campions

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

Tommyboy40 wrote: »

Agreed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Renewal quote of 605 from Quotedevil who I have given a lot of business to over many, many years without one claim.

Quote is for both of us who are named drivers on each others policies, rang Insuremyvan and got a quote of 570.

We never had an accident or a penalty point between us, anyone know any other place worth ringing? Mine is commercial jeep and herself has family car.

Insuremyvan sent me a text today saying they have a range of new discounts and to ring them again.

Gave them a call and got a reduction to 505 if I paid a deposit today.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

lolliedog wrote: »
    Agreed

My renewal on a 5.0 V8 with agreed value and business cover costs less than Chill's quote

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Loyalty or being a good safe driving customer means jack all though in my experience and such should most likely be apparent if you read through the thread. In fact in my experience if you just blindly stay with the same provider assuming that they are giving you the best quote because they were the best last year then you will be fleeced. If you keep on doing it for years on end then you will be royally fleeced. It can be soul destroying but at the same time it is very worthwhile getting on the phone to pretty much all of the providers before renewal and playing one off against the next.

Tommyboy40 wrote: »

Ah now though as if the massive 2.2 litre engine doesn't make it a performance car the fact that its fuel injected* most certainly does (refer to post #3842)

*I genuinely thought that pretty much all cars with an internal combustion engine produced within the past 20 years and in many cases for longer were fuel injected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

How good is liberty folks..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How good is liberty folks..

As good as most others.

All you want is cover and you don't need them to be your friend so use whichever has the best deal and offers what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

As good as most others.

All you want is cover and you don't need them to be your friend so use whichever has the best deal and offers what you need.

I agree to a certain extent. However, they are the fastest guns in the West to settle with a 3rd party if they make any hint of possible injury. Not always a good thing and, IMO, their predecessors Quinn have a lot to answer for introducing this practice back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Doing quotes the last few days. I'm originally from farm in rural in Laois, moved to Castlebar. If I put my address as Castlebar it adds 15-20% compared to rural Laois!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I agree to a certain extent. However, they are the fastest guns in the West to settle with a 3rd party if they make any hint of possible injury. Not always a good thing and, IMO, their predecessors Quinn have a lot to answer for introducing this practice back in the day

I had that with Quinn back in the day.

A woman put in a false claim of €750 for damage to her sh1tbox and my car only 3 years old.
    Not a mark on mine and she was the one that side swiped me push in the mirror, going same direction.

She managed to get my address off them and they shouldn't have given that out.

Called to the house numerous times... She was a very odd one but I kept at them and stated in no way was there any damages and it was a bogus claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

recyclebin wrote: »
    Doing quotes the last few days. I'm originally from farm in rural in Laois, moved to Castlebar. If I put my address as Castlebar it adds 15-20% compared to rural Laois!!!

Does your parents still live there? If so enter your home address and pick up/post cert to you from Laois.

If you get in accident tell them you were in Mayo for the day. They don't have to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My renewal (FBD) is up over 120 since last year to 657.

142 1.3l Auris, 10+ years ncd, I'm the only driver (42 Yr old female) in the house (suburban Dublin). Fully comp with protected ncd, breakdown cover and accident protection.

Made a claim in 2014 after an idiot boy racer wrecked the front wing of my car, fully reclaimed from his insurance. No penalty points.

So far it's4women coming in best at 585, some of the quotes are ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Caranica wrote: »
    My renewal (FBD) is up over 120 since last year to 657.

142 1.3l Auris, 10+ years ncd, I'm the only driver (42 Yr old female) in the house (suburban Dublin). Fully comp with protected ncd, breakdown cover and accident protection.

Made a claim in 2014 after an idiot boy racer wrecked the front wing of my car, fully reclaimed from his insurance. No penalty points.

So far it's4women coming in best at 585, some of the quotes are ridiculous

Take that with a pinch of salt. its4women/Boxymo/25plus have notoriously bad customer service to the point where people can't get through to them on the phone.

Post Insurance seem to be a good option for cheap quotes for more experienced drivers. A colleague of mine actually got a really low quote from Liberty of all people despite them usually being fairly high.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

morritty wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for mine in the post from AA. But i've just done this quote
    Car: 2012 Skoda Superb 1.4
    NCD: 8 Years
    Licence: 8 Years
    Claims: None
    €750

I see no logic. Cant wait for the renewal letter
    Well, The renewal letter came in.

1002 euro. Based on the above information.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

DaveyDave wrote:
    Post Insurance seem to be a good option for cheap quotes for more experienced drivers. A colleague of mine actually got a really low quote from Liberty of all people despite them usually being fairly high.

DaveyDave wrote:
    Take that with a pinch of salt. its4women/Boxymo/25plus have notoriously bad customer service to the point where people can't get through to them on the phone.

Just my own personal experience but I'm with 25plus for years, never had a problem with their customer service, had to make a claim 4 years ago and they were very easy to deal with.

DaveyDave wrote: »

Thanks for the tip, post insurance coming in around 450. Liberty was over 700 though. Post is over 100 cheaper than anything else and 200 cheaper than fbd, so will give fbd one chance to beat it before I pull the plug

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Age 26, male
    09 1.6D Fiat Bravo
    No points, convictions etc
    0 NCB, 0 Named (As fresh as you can get according to insurance companies!)

Liberty - 3800 Fully Comp.
    Boxymo - 1300-1600 depending on excess/km's etc. (Far too restrictive IMO)
    25 plus.ie - 2593 (Standard) - 2737 (Xtra). (2427/2564 - 750excess)
    Acorn - Kennco 2285.47 (250 excess).
    Axa (Direct) - 2594 Compy, 2448 TPFT.
    Britton - 2398 (500 excess), 2110 (1k excess). Comp. 2109 TPFT.
    Campions - 4846 (Comp, Liberty). 3694 TPFP. (3073 comp, 2709 TPFT over the phone).
    Chill.ie - Axa 2430, Asgard 2778, Kennco 3203. All comp. Similar TPFT.
    First Ireland - 2402 comp (500 excess), 2114 TPFT.
    Its4women - 2792(Standard), 3012 (Extra), 2614/2820-700 excess
    Sheridan - Liberty 4861.
    Kennco (Direct) - 2894. (Comp)

And the quote I finally went for......

The AA - AXA Fully comp, 1800, 250 excess. (Plus 7 per month for AA membership) (Included named driver who is a relative. Pro tip: Use a parent if they are clean as that will reduce it even more).

It's worth noting that theAA give one of the most comprehensive policies from what I can see and just happened to be the cheapest.

For anyone new;
    i) Your address matters greatly.
    ii)Type of car matters greatly.
    iii) Addition of a named driver reduces premium usually but should be a parent preferably.
    iv) Upping excess can reduce premium.
    v) CALL THE INSURERS!! You will get much better quotes over the phone.

Back again to the grind. I honestly don't know where the last year has gone :o

Like last year, most of the quotes I am getting this year are mad high, with one exception.

09 1.6D Fiat Bravo
    No points, convictions etc
    1 NCB, 0 Named.
    1 windscreen claim. Doesn't really seem to effect much

Current insurer: AA 1700 last year -> renewal quote of 2100. :rolleyes:

Below are in format last years quote -> this years quote with 1 year NCB. Comprehensive/TPFT

Liberty - 3800 Fully Comp -> 1849/1639 (TPFT)
    25 plus.ie - 2593 (Standard) - 2737 (Xtra). (2427/2564 - 750excess) -> 2009/2172 Xtra
    Acorn - Kennco 2285.47 (250 excess) -> 1398 RSA TPFT
    Axa (Direct) - 2594 Compy, 2448 TPFT. -> 1760/1658 TPFT
    Chill.ie - Axa 2430, Asgard 2778, Kennco 3203. All comp. Similar TPFT. -> RSA Sertus 1403/1280 TPFT
    Its4women - 2792(Standard), 3012 (Extra), 2614/2820-700 excess -> 1336 Comp/1230 TPFT
    Kennco (Direct) - 2894. (Comp)

Fresh quotes:

AIG - 1648/1484TPFT
    Allianz - 2000 TPFT
    Aviva - 1760/1658 TPFT.
    FBD - 1891/1856 TPFT
    XS Direct - 1780 Comp (3k Excess :pac: )
    Quoteme.ie - 1962/1847 TPFT
    Post - 1784/1650

And the quote I think I am going for?

Bank of Ireland - 922 (Popular) or 1011 (Prestige) TPFT / 943 (Popular) or 1034 (Prestige) Comp

I honestly don't know how theirs is so low. It appears its all to do with my address. My specific address gives this, but if I just put in the area it gives a quote about 500 higher. It seems to be a big in their system, but that isn't my fault :pac::)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip, post insurance coming in around 450. Liberty was over 700 though. Post is over 100 cheaper than anything else and 200 cheaper than fbd, so will give fbd one chance to beat it before I pull the plug

Long story short, fbd came back with best offer of 560, I said no thanks. Went in to buy post insurance policy, discovered it was underwritten by fbd, went back to fbd and price matched. About a 70 euro saving on last year's premium and a saving of over 200 euro from the renewal price fbd initially quoted me

Post Insurance seem to be a good option for cheap quotes for more experienced drivers.

Your joking right? At last renewal time I had 11 years NCB and 5 years prior to that 11 years claims free driving experience as a named driver on a parents policy. They provided me with the highest quote yet again - in style in fact being around 3 times as much as the best quote I got. Like a clown I have tried them every year for the last number of years and they have consistently being the highest - in most cases by a very long shot if I recall correctly.

Your joking right? At last renewal time I had 11 years NCB and 5 years prior to that 11 years claims free driving experience as a named driver on a parents policy. They provided me with the highest quote yet again - in style in fact being around 3 times as much as the best quote I got. Like a clown I have tried them every year for the last number of years and they have consistently being the highest - in most cases by a very long shot if I recall correctly.

Not for me, see above. Over 200 euro cheaper than my renewal and 130 cheaper than the next cheapest (its4women). I got quotes up to 1100 and ended up paying 453 which was fbd matching the post insurance quote which was underwritten by fbd!

Although I've just renewed, I ran my details through the Chill website. How can there be such a variation in quotes? The simple fact is that all insurance isn't the same. This year my renewal was €1,100 and the second picture explains why I'm prepared to pay a little more for cover.

Screenshot 2019-01-19 at 09.06.55.png

Screenshot 2019-01-19 at 09.12.04.png

Not for me, see above. Over 200 euro cheaper than my renewal and 130 cheaper than the next cheapest (its4women). I got quotes up to 1100 and ended up paying 453 which was fbd matching the post insurance quote which was underwritten by fbd!

Which goes to show there are further variables that impact the quotes considerably other than the experience of the driver certainly as far as An Post Insurance is concerned. Based on our separate experiences it is certainly not a safe assumption that they are a competitive provider for all experienced drivers. Again your experience highlights why it is time very well spent taking time out to ring all providers and play one off against the nextwink.png....even if it will take a few hours and is somewhat soul destroying. Very few will earn money as quickly in their jobs anyway versus the amount they could save over the time taken to get the best quote.

Out of curiosity do you recall who quoted you circa €1,100?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

2013 a6 sline 2.0tdi
    6 plus years ncb
    Full license /no points
    600 fully comp with 123.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Having a great time with An Post since it was recomended here a few years ago, this thread alone has probably saved me 1500+ now over the years.

I moved from a Leon FR 2.0 TDI this week (annual renewal was around 650 for the past 2 years) to a Golf 1.5 TSI new and An Post are giving me 100 euro back for the switch, so I reckon that works out as a price of about 500.

31 yr old male, clean license, no claims, fully comp

Out of curiosity do you recall who quoted you circa €1,100?

AIG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

Post Insurance seem to be a good option for cheap quotes for more experienced drivers.

The problem is most insurance companies only recognise 5 years ncb . The odd one 6 or 7.
    And they wont recognise driving experience once you have you own ncb.
    Personally ive 17 years driving in my own name without accident or claim and 3 years driving experience but my ncb cert says 5 years

I have to laugh at fbd. I had 4 policys with them . They wanted 1000 up 300 from the previous year. The best they could do was give 5 percent off which was the online discount.
    I got better cover with bank of ireland for 540.
    Fbd wouldnt budge . 3 out of 4 policys are moved on now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

The problem is most insurance companies only recognise 5 years ncb . The odd one 6 or 7.
    And they wont recognise driving experience once you have you own ncb.
    Personally ive 17 years driving in my own name without accident or claim and 3 years driving experience but my ncb cert says 5 years

I have to laugh at fbd. I had 4 policys with them . They wanted 1000 up 300 from the previous year. The best they could do was give 5 percent off which was the online discount.
    I got better cover with bank of ireland for 540.
    Fbd wouldnt budge . 3 out of 4 policys are moved on now

Advertisement